Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALREADY ALREADY  (Read 35681 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ALREADY ALREADY
« on: February 05, 2004, 12:01:10 AM »

Well, you've read the notes already, hence you know just what you must do already, so to it, I say.  Let's just post until those damn cows come home, shall we?  Let's post and post, and just when we think we can post no more, let's post again.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2004, 12:04:31 AM by bk »

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
Re:ALREADY ALREADY
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 12:42:45 AM »

I forgot to mention that in yesterday's Los Angeles Times crossword puzzle "MOTHRA" was one of the answers.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 01:08:59 AM »

Nightmare in River City:

Marian Paroo--Queen Latifah
Harold Hill--Rip Taylor
Mayor Shinn--Charlton Heston
Eulalie MacKecknie Shinn--Renee Taylor
Marcellus Washburn--Richard Simmons
Mrs. Paroo--Charo
Winthrop Paroo--Brett Kelly (The kid in "Bad Santa")

Ewart Dunlop--Luciano Pavarotti
Oliver Hix--Placido Domingo
Jacey Squires--Jose Carreras
Olin Britt--Andrea Bocelli
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 01:10:12 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 02:51:56 AM »

Well I might go see a show called The Spitfire Grill....but I would never eat there.

GODZILLA MOTHRA & KING GHIDRAH - I think this is the movie that I have seen recently, that opens with an archaologist - anyway if this is the one, I love this movie!!!!  The new Peanuts are not as pretty as the original ones, but they sing THE song with additional lyrics!

Actually they have already done a BAD Music Man for real and true....but...

Harold Hill - Ruben Blades
Marion Paroo -  Jennifer Lopez
Mrs. Paroo - Abbe Lane
Marcellus Washburn - Desi Arnaz Jr

Mayor Shinn - Ricardo Montalban
Mrs. Shinn - the maid from Will & Grace

The Quartet - Martin Sheen, Charlie Sheen, Emilio Estevez, Mario Cantone  ;D
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 02:53:22 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Michael

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 04:28:09 AM »

Matthew Broderick as Harold Hill. No! Wait! I am not dreaming
Never stop dreaming.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 04:36:43 AM »

I forgot to mention that in yesterday's Los Angeles Times crossword puzzle "MOTHRA" was one of the answers.

And crossed with Hiawatha, no less! Such a lovely couple.

der Brucer (who now down-loads the LA Times Crossword to keep in shape)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 04:47:00 AM »

BK: "But, I’m a sucker for the big green fella."

der Brucer (adding the morning levity)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 09:10:11 AM by bk »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

td

• td
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 06:06:05 AM »

Well, the best that I can do for miscasting THE MUSIC MAN is this:

Justin Timberlake as Harold Hill
Janet Jackson as Marian Paroo

Michael Jackson as The Widow Paroo
Gary Coleman as Winthrop

Alex Karras as The Mayor
Susan Clark as The Mayor's Wife
Mariah Carey as  The Mayor's Daughter
Britney Spears as Tommi (sic)

Sinbad as Marcellus

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 06:06:33 AM »

If it weren't for the notion that he could really play the part, which disqualifies him from "bad casting," how about Eddie Murphy as Harold Hill?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 06:08:43 AM »

BK: "But, I’m a sucker for the big green fella."

(pic deleted due to redundancy...SWW)

der Brucer (adding the morning levity)
I thought you weren't going to post any more pictures of me without my agreeing first.   :-\
« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 06:09:16 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 06:47:23 AM »

Listening to a great profile of Frank Loesser right now on BBC 2. Here's the link.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/r2music/easy/

Scroll down to the Frank Loesser picture and click to listen. It's a six part series going over his career. I'm not sure what part is on this week, I think it's Part Two. Right now the focus is on Hollywood. It's a half hour long. This particular section ends rather abruptly at 27 minutes (technology isn't perfect) but you can keep this link and go back each each Friday to listen to the next section.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 07:10:26 AM »

First of all, when the new day's notes were switched to late the night before from the morning there were usually 20 or 30 posts by the time I checked at about 9:00 EST.  Today there were 9, yesterday there were 5.  Where is everyone already?

My suggestion of Matthew Broderick as Harold was already posted, but it could have been worse by casting Sarah Jessica Parker-Broderick as Marian.

This week has got to be the first week in the history of Broadway theatre where a different closing has been announced daily - NEVER GONNA DANCE on Monday; GYPSY on Tuesday; RETREAT FROM MOSCOW on Wednesday; and now ANNA IN THE TROPICS today.  What's left for Friday?  There are going to be a lot of empty theatres this summer when the tourists come, but today's tourists are more interested in things like theme restaurants based around Wrestling, ESPN et. al. or by Wax Museums (did you ever think there would be one on 42nd Street?) or the world's largest and gaudiest McDonalds.  The first time I came to New York in 1961, I saw eight shows, all that had opened less than a year before including the original CAMELOT, DO RE MI and BYE BYE BIRDIE and if I had another week I could still not have seen everything of interest.  I visited in 1975 and saw sixteen shows in eight days (and there were still three I wanted to see but missed).  Now I live here and there are so few shows to see on Broadway (either I've seen them or they are of no interest to me)
that I do the majority of my theatre going off-Broadway.  The number of empty theatres this summer is a total waste.  I wouldn't be surprised if at least one more theatres goes the way of the Mark Hellinger and is converted into a church.

I've read that the problem is that producers aren't presenting what the public wants to see.  One would think that a musical by, about  and with 80s icon Boy George would appeal to today's public (ok - not me, but the public in general).  How about one of the best musicals ever written starring a woman (Bernadette Peters) with as many film and television credits as stage credits?  Or a Pulitzer Prize winning play with a major television star (Jimmy Smits), a Tony winning actress (Priscilla Lopez) and another very popular actress (Daphne Rueben-Vega)?  These three shows couldn't be more different from one another or from the other shows closing this month.  And people are so star-oriented that the only way THE PRODUCERS could become a sell-out again was by bringing back the original stars even though the material itself is so strong it works with or without them (blame the perception from the media for this one).  If all the public is interested in is a dance concert of Billy Joel songs or the 2nd musical version of a flop film with ABBA songs, then maybe there should be more of them.  They can't keep producing shows that only us show queens want to see.  I realize that my taste and the taste of the general public is not the same (my only complaint about WICKED was that the intimate story got swallowed up by the production, but it is those flying monkeys and dragon clock that are selling out the Gershwin, and when the current stars leave most casual theatregoers and tourists won't know the difference).

I'll get off my soap box already, but every show closing is a nail in the coffin of Broadway, and if Broadway could be kept going there is also a chance that maybe good shows will come back in style - shows that appeal to critics, show queens and the general public.

On a quick extra note... I read that Mel Gibson is doing a movie version of PASSION.  I hope it is more true to the Sondheim original than the Sylvester Stallone version of ASSASSINS.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 07:45:58 AM »

I don't know what the answer is for Broadway, but seeing those empty theaters is very, very depressing. And when a flagship theater like the Shubert is empty, you know the Great White Way is in real trouble.

My MUSIC MAN ensemble:

Harold Hill -- Arsenio Hall
Marian Paroo -- Debbie Reynolds
Mrs. Paroo -- Celine Dion
Marcellus Washburn -- Kirk Douglas
Winthrop Paroo -- Mickey Rooney
Mayor Shinn -- Matt Damon
Mrs. E. M. Shinn -- Diana Ross
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 07:47:12 AM »

If it weren't for the notion that he could really play the part, which disqualifies him from "bad casting," how about Eddie Murphy as Harold Hill?

Wow - you're right. I think he'd be great. Someone should send this idea to his office.
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2004, 08:00:18 AM »

When productions cost so much to mount and run, I think producers feel safer mounting bygone hits starring TV personalities. It is very risky to take a chance on a new piece - the new Sondheim BOUNCE is an example... folks are afraid to invest.

But The Theater is alive and well and living off-Broadway and in Fringe Festivals all over the place, where costs are more reasonable, or minimal, or nil. And big things do occasionally emerge victorious - URINETOWN is a good example. If a play can't grab 'em without flying monkeys and green sequins and 10 million bucks worth of production, well... maybe it doesn't really grab 'em. Lots of small pieces modestly produced find a life outside Noo Yawk.

Artists will find a way - that's the one constant. We can't avoid it. Even if my beloved Hellinger died, other stages wait for us. And our audiences wait for us, too. They do want to be moved, lifted, entertained, touched. Let's remember what drew us to this biz in the first place. And it sure wasn't dollars. Love conquers all.
PennyO

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2004, 08:04:11 AM »

Harold Hill -- Jason Alexander
Marian Paroo -- Elaine Stritch
Mrs. Paroo -- Harvey Fierstein
Marcellus Washburn -- Sir Ian McKellan
Mayor Shinn -- Hugh Jackman
Mrs. E. M. Shinn -- Nicole Kidman

« Last Edit: February 05, 2004, 08:04:39 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2004, 08:17:31 AM »

DRWEL,

That was a sad (and well written) commentary on the state of the Broadway theatre (and Broadway theatres).

When I was last in New York, I thought about musicals that were playing at theatres like the Henry Miller, Plymouth, and Golden - houses better known for non-musical productions. The once-often-empty Lunt-Fontanne was occupied, and even the Minskoff had an upcoming tenant. Then I walked past the old Mark Hellinger and wondered if it would ever return to its glory days. Talk about a cockeyed optimist.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2004, 08:29:50 AM »

Nicole Kidman had a bunion that bothered her - but she divorced him.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2004, 08:58:20 AM »

WEL:  How much did a ticket to a Broadway show cost in 1961?  In The Season, Goldman mentions $7.50 - $10 as being about standard, so I assume five years earlier it was probably a dollar or two less; maybe $5 - $7?

In 2003, the average ticket price was $67 per ticket (I'm sure many of you are laughing at that figure, more than likely having recently shelled out $100+ for a ticket to something you really wanted to see, but that's the official figure).  Broadway ticket prices have increased by 30% just since 2000.

Quite simply, Broadway ticket prices are outstripping inflation by a considerable margin.  Most people today are not making three times what they were in 2000 (since that's when the economy collapsed, many people are in fact making LESS than they did four years ago).  Meanwhile, there are many more forms of entertainment in 2004 than there were in 1961 that compete for discretionary income (I won't bother to list them, as they're known to us all).  All of these new forms of entertainment, including tickets to Disney World, for goodness' sake, cost far less than a Broadway ticket now does.

Of course, there will always be those among us who far prefer live theater to movies, DVDs, theme parks, mini-golf, and yes, wrestling-themed restaurants.  But are there enough of such people to keep Broadway from breathing its last gasp sometime in the next 15-20 years?  

I would sincerely like to know, however, how it is that London is able to so successfully keep its ticket prices within reach of the average person, while Broadway seems destined to wind up the sole province of the rich.  I'm not being sarcastic here, I truly can't figure out why the difference is so striking.

NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2004, 09:07:55 AM »

Yes, where in tarnation IS everyone?  It's decidedly peculiar.  Two days ago we had almost fifty posts by this time, yesterday we had twenty-two, today eighteen.  I started putting the notes up at midnight because people on the east coast liked it and the notes would be there when they got up in the morning.  It's interesting.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2004, 09:09:32 AM »

Oh, and der Brucer, while the photo you posted is amusing I really would prefer that stuff like that is not posted directly - you can link to it, that's fine, but we do have youngsters here, both posters and lurkers.  So, please repost with a link.  Thanks.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #21 on: February 05, 2004, 09:12:46 AM »

Good morning!

Well, my The Music Man casting very closely resembles td's... I guess great minds do think alike!  -Or at least "like" minds think alike!  ;)  But here I go anyway...

Harold Hill - Justin Timberlake
Marian Paroo - Janet Jackson
Mrs. Paroo - Diana Ross
Winthrop Paroo - Michael Jackson
Marcellus Washburn - Ashton Kutcher
Charlie Cowell - Johnnie Cochran

Mayor Shinn - Rev. Al Sharpton
Eulalie McKechnie Shinn - Martha Stewart
Zaneeta Shinn - Jessica Simpson
Tommy Djilas - Nick Lachey

The Quartet - The remaining Jackson Four, or O-Town, or 'N Sync, or Color Me Badd, or Backstreet Boys, etc., etc., etc...  -They can take turns according to concerts and VH1 specials.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #22 on: February 05, 2004, 09:27:18 AM »

OOohh... And if we want to get political about it:

Harold Hill - Bill Clinton
Marian Paroo - Laura Bush
Mrs. Paroo - Barbara Bush
Winthrop Paroo - George Bush (Jr.)
Charlie Cowell - Howard Dean
Marcellus Washburn - Al Gore

Mayor Shinn - George Bush (Sr.)
Mrs. Shinn - Hillary Clinton (Oh I know, the scandal!)
Zaneeta Shinn - Monica Lewinsky
Tommy Djilas - George Stephanopolous (sp?)

The School Board Quartet - Dick Gephardt, Ted Kennedy, Colin Powell, Bob Dole
Make Your Own Luck.

Donna

• It's never too late.
    • Cabaret West
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2004, 09:31:11 AM »

Hi Everybody!
Haven't posted for awhile but I check in when I can.

The Cabaret West Calendar for February is now up on our website if you'd like to check it out. Just click NOW APPEARING when you open the home page (you may have to Refresh the PDF doc for it to come up). Also check out the SPOTLIGHT section with Inga Neilsen. Here's the link http://www.cabaretwest.org.

Some highlights:
In California...
Jason Graae and Liz Callaway at Annenberg Theatre in Palm Springs.
Babbie Green and John Boswell at The Gardenia in West Hollywood. Babbie is film composer Johnny Green's daughter and she will be doing a special show of her and her father's music. It happens this weekend.
Amanda McBroom and George Ball in their Valentine's show at Carpenter Performing Arts Center in Long Beach.
Maude Maggart with the phenomenal pianist Todd Schroeder at Cerritos Center in Cerritos (I'll be there ushering) and at The Plush Room in San Francisco. Maude is a 1920's throwback mentored by Michael Feinstein and Andrea Marcovicci.
Derrik Lewis' Musical Chairs at various locations in Palm Springs. These are ASCAP-sanctioned shows highlighting songwriters. This month's is Burt Bacharach and Hal David. Next month's show features the music of Frank Loesser.
Little Mary Sunshine at the Alex Theatre in Glendale and at the Thousand Oaks Civic Arts Scherr Forum in Thousand Oaks. This is a concert version by the Musical Theatre Guild (similar to the Encores and Reprise groups).

In March ...
Angela Lansbury Tribute at the Director's Guild in Hollywood on March 5. Produced by the Museum of Television and Radio Beverly Hills. There'll be a Q&A with Ms. Lansbury. Tickets to the public ($20; Seniors & Students $17) go on sale February 13.

In New York ...
Ray Jessel at Don't Tell Mama in NYC 2/6,13, 21, 28. Ray (musical version of "I Remember Mama" with Richard Rodgers) is absolutely hilarious!
Sharon McNight at Tilles Center in Brookville, NY 2/13.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: February 05, 2004, 09:56:30 AM »

As for the state of Broadway today... As other DRs have already mentioned, the cost of going to the theatre today is a major deterrent for a lot of people.  Heck, even in the DC area - outside of NYC - the top ticket price is usually $75, and that's still a lot of money to shell out.  -Sometimes even $25 is a lot to shell out.  Even with some of my "industry discounts", I still find myself parting with a lot more money than I'd like.  And even a $10 ticket to a movie can seem unreasonable.

The solution?  Who knows?  For myself, I'd like to see more "show" rather than "business", put back into "show business".  Not a simple solution by any means, but that's a good general answer for right now... - And who knows how long the detailed answer/post would be?!?!  ;)

However, I also think that producers need to put their foot down from time to time when it comes to special effects.  Yes, there have been some spectacular technical innovations in the past 20 years - heck, even in the past five years - but do we need to see those on stage?  Do they really need to be used to support and enhance the plot and music?  It seems the producers concentrate on the spectacle lately, and lose the show.  Now I know the director and designers are the "root" of this problem, but if their funds are cut off... Hey, they'll have to get creative!  *One of my favorite "ooh and ahh" moments of the past ten years (more?) was the opening sequence of Tommy when the soldiers did their parachute jump - fog on the stage, the stage opened up (hidden by the fog), and the soldiers jumped - quite a simple effect, but very effective!)  -Of course, the rest of that show had tons of technology involved...

*I've been in pre-production meetings where designers have presented a "new thingie" and try to find a place in the show to use their new toy.  -The technical staff of Dance of the Vampires even invented some new technology for their show, and where did all that get them?  ;) Boys (and girls) and their toys...

OK - I'm starting to babble again.. and I also need to get some lunch...

-Did any of this make sense?  Did I actually make point?
Make Your Own Luck.

Andrea

« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2004, 10:10:35 AM »

Well said about the ticket prices.

I'm an english major: what do I know about business? But what I do know is that I cannot afford paying even the 50$ US I paid to see Gypsy at half  price. And I'm postive that I'm not the only one who feels that way. Broadway is fun and theatre is fun, but who can afford that? It's a lot of money for three hours and  it is a lot more than I would make after a day of working.

I'd think that most people who could afford that (adults who are working in nice paying jobs) have probably already seen the show ages ago, especially if it is a revival, or, the show just isn't something that appeals to them I know New York is an expensive city, but prices need to be put in perspective. I'm probably visiting a bit of europe this summer, and that 50$ to 100$ american will get me a nice plane ticket to Paris and I'd still be able to afford the cd!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2004, 10:24:13 AM »

Regarding Broadway ticket prices, yes they are out of line, but almost every show (except "An Evening With Nathan and/or Matthew" was at TKTS last week and most every show has offers available on the internet.  One of the problems is the lack of scaled houses anymore.  Almost every Broadway show charges top price for all but the last three or four rows of the balcony.

I remember in 1960 when the top price for a Broadway musical was $10, first run movies were $2.00.  Today full price tickets to musicals  have increased 10 times to $100 but movies have only increased 5 times to $10.  And in those days you were getting more for your money.  Most musicals were almost 3 hours long and movies were shown with short subjects, cartoons and coming attractions for the next show at that theatre instead of a movie, several advertisements and teasers for movies not opening for months.  The point I am making though is that it used to cost 5 times as much to see a musical instead of a movie it is now it is 10 times as much.

And speaking of special effects, has anyone else noticed that almost every musical today uses a dry ice or smoke machine effect?  
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2004, 10:27:09 AM »

10:30 and not even to page two yet.  I'm through cheerleading.

Ben

« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2004, 10:30:20 AM »

I'm listening to Purlie right now. Never saw a production of the show, but the CD is a lot of fun. What a great opening number - Walk Him Up the Stairs.

Ben

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2004, 10:33:42 AM »

I was a bad boy this lunch hour. After I ate, I went to Academy CDs, always a temptation, and I bought a few things, including the aforementioned Purlie. I also bought a compilation of Porter songs which I will listen to after Purlie. It's called Capitol Sings Cole Porter. I have a number of these Capitol compilation re-issues and I enjoy them. It's got things like Nat King Cole doing Just One of Those Things, Peggy Lee doing From Now On and Always True to You in My Fashion, Nancy Wilson doing You'd Be So Nice to Come Home To and more (25 tracks in all).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up