Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WEARY BONES  (Read 35594 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE WEARY BONES
« Reply #270 on: March 18, 2008, 04:58:15 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Lunch!

-And, hopefully, some macarons from the newly relocated Madeleine Patisserie - if it indeed has relocated.

Good news, indeed!

After thoroughly enjoying my Shackburger Single and Black & White Milkshake from Shake Shack under the portable heaters in Madison Square Park, I took a walk down 23rd Street where I was very happy to see that Madeleine Patisserie had indeed reopened two doors down from it's original location.  In fact, today was just their second day of business in their new location.

I didn't ask "What took you so long?", but I could tell that the owners had hoped to be open sooner, and they're basically only "half open" - the soon-to-be unveiled seating area is currently behind a construction "curtain".  However, I did say, "It's nice to have you back."

Alas, there were no macarons for sale today.  I'm guessing they're still getting the kitchen area in order too.  However, they did have croissants, pastries, madeleines, and some fruit tarts for sale.  "Maria" told me that they should be selling macarons by next week.  -And since I'll be working down in Chelsea again next week, I'm sure I'll be stopping by to check on their progress. ;)

Oh... Today's sampling and selection consisted of three madeleines: Chocolate, Espresso Walnut and Rose.  All three were tres delicieux - the Rose one felt like I was tasting Spring, literally.  And one the way home, I stopped by again for some sustenance for my subway ride home: a coconut meringue, and two small chocolate chip financiers.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #271 on: March 18, 2008, 04:59:23 PM »

Late bloomer, DR TCB?  I did that in the 70s, which I why I can't remember disco music, but can recall all the discos I ever drank in. . .

Well, no one asked me about the 70s.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #272 on: March 18, 2008, 05:01:16 PM »

Yes.  We love him.    :)

We LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWVVVVVV you

*Even after years of listening to the OCR of Company that one moment in the opening number still makes me smile and cringe.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #273 on: March 18, 2008, 05:01:56 PM »

Ooh!  Ooh!

[shadow=color,glow width,#characters wide][size=8]  PAGE 10 [/size][/shadow]

I won't gush, don't ask me!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #274 on: March 18, 2008, 05:02:50 PM »

Well, no one asked me about the 70s.

I figured you had two 80s and moved right on into the 90s.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #275 on: March 18, 2008, 05:07:00 PM »

No discos for us in the seventies, we had too many goals to reach.  We celebrated our first anniversary in 1970, worked to get Keith through 6 years of college, purchase a home and complete our family by the end of 1979.  It seemed to take forever.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #276 on: March 18, 2008, 05:16:03 PM »

Quote from: Ron Pulliam on Today at 10:23:35am
Cillaliz:  I commiserate with your ailments.  Sounds like me yesterday.  Yuck.

You had a mammogram yesterday?
DR Ron would not properly have a ma'am-o-gram.  He would have a sir-o-gram.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #277 on: March 18, 2008, 05:19:53 PM »

SciFi writer
Arthur C. Clarke passed away today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #278 on: March 18, 2008, 05:26:30 PM »

All of this is also reflected in the ruthlessness of the politicians who steal millions from the country and under Brazillian law can't be prosecuted in civil court because of their "service" to the country, and how these people launder their money through these thriving frog farms.

That reminds me of a friends recent trip to Peru to check out Machu Picchu.  He had gone there a few times when he was younger.  Back then, the most expensive part of the trip was the plane ticket to Peru.  The train to the top of the mountain cost a $1.00, there was no admission to the ruins, and the bare bones hotel was $25.00/night.  However, a few years ago, the upkeep of the ruins was sold to private companies.  Additionally, the hotels and other tourist businesses (souvenirs) were also sold to private concerns (mainly international companies).  The government made millions on the sale, however, the ruins have continued to degrade, and any maintenance is being sloppily done.  He showed me a picture of part of a wall that was patched up with what looked like bits of modeling clay.  And the prices for the one(!) railroad that goes up to the mountain and the one hotel on top of the mountain have increased astronomically with no real increase in "niceness" or amenities.  The locals are now required to pay the train fare now to the ruins too.

To put it into perspective - well, into numbers - for my friends most recent trip to Machu Picchu - the cost of the train ride and the hotel - was the same as the cost of his plane ticket.  -And plane tickets to Peru ain't cheap!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #279 on: March 18, 2008, 05:27:39 PM »

Hopefully, "speeches" without typos.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #280 on: March 18, 2008, 05:28:57 PM »

If they get really hard up today, Jose, tell them that I do an incredible Col. Pickering.

Well, if you get real hard up, would you just like to do Col. Pickering?

:o  ;D  8)  ::)  :P  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #281 on: March 18, 2008, 05:30:18 PM »

Good news, indeed!

After thoroughly enjoying my Shackburger Single and Black & White Milkshake from Shake Shack under the portable heaters in Madison Square Park...
Ah, Shake Shack, one of Danny Meyer's operations.  The latest delivery from Jessica's Biscuit included his tome Setting the Table: The Transforming Power of Hospitality in Business, now in paperback and easier on the budget.  I've a couple of other books in my stack that I want to get through first, but StT will probably be third.

(Other Danny Meyer establishments:
Union Square Cafe
Gramercy Tavern
Tabla
Blue Smoke
Jazz Standard
The Modern
Cafe 2
and Terrace 5.
A report on the quality of these establishments would be appreciated, of course.)

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 06:11:41 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #282 on: March 18, 2008, 05:32:03 PM »

Looking at everyone's lists of favorite 80s movies, I am suprised at how many of them I have actually seen! Still, none that I liked much.

Did you go to the movies in the 80s, DR MBarnum?  ;)

Now... Are there any Bollywood movies from the 80s you like?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #283 on: March 18, 2008, 05:33:49 PM »

Well...

The Polticos urged Barak Obama to sidestrp the "rae issue"

Unfortunately, current campaigning seems to be avoiding "substance" - on all sides.

der Brucer

I. for one, wish candidates would recognize the limitations of power that the President has in many areas - particularly domestic policy. Instead of attempting to craft specific legislation in stump speeches, I would preder to hear:

Bretty, when you log onto the site, you're "supposed" to read BK's notes for the day first.  That lets us all in on what is goiing on in his life (which can be plenty), and generally gives a reason, or at least an excuse, for the TOD.  The TOD itself is chosen by our esteemed BK, except for Thursdays, which is "Ask BK Day," when we DRs ask BK (and each other) a question, and Sundays, which is sort of a free for all day.

I blame Wiggles.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #284 on: March 18, 2008, 05:41:23 PM »

I knew something or someone had to be behind all those typos.

But somehow, "I blame Wiggles" doesn't have the same cachet as "I blame Jose."  It just doesn't.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #285 on: March 18, 2008, 05:43:20 PM »

More webbery from Meyer: the Union Square Hospitality Group.

Jane

« Reply #286 on: March 18, 2008, 05:49:14 PM »

I must have missed EVENING PRIMROSE and was not familiar with it. Wait, I just read the ending & think I remember it now.

After a bit of research, I have more appreciation for how special this CD will be.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 05:57:57 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #287 on: March 18, 2008, 05:58:23 PM »

'night

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #288 on: March 18, 2008, 06:04:19 PM »

Ah, Shake Shack, one of Danny Meyer's operations.  The latest delivery from Jessica's Biscuit included his tome Setting the Table: The Transforming Power of Hospitality in Business, now in paperback and easier on the budget.  I've a couple of other books in my stack that I want to get through first, but StT will probably be third.

(Other Danny Meyer establishments:
Union Square Cafe
Grammercy Tavern
Tabla
Blue Smoke
Jazz Standard
The Modern
Cafe 2
and Terrace 5.
A report on the quality of these establishments would be appreciated, of course.)

Well... Here's my quick assessment...

(on a scale of 1-10, 10 being the best)

Union Square Cafe - 9 - The bar area - which does not require reservations is actually sort of a bargain, especially considering the quality of the food.  But the main room is a worthy and justifiable splurge.

Gramercy Tavern (not Grammercy ;)) - 9 - Yes, the prixe fixe menu is worth the splurge(!), but like Union Square Cafe, the "tavern" is a great way to try some of the greenmarket-driven creations at a much lower tab without a months wait for a reservation.

Tabla - 8 - I've found the cooking here to be sort of inconsistent.  I actually prefer to eat in the less formal and less expensive Bread Bar downstairs.  I also have an issue paying high prices for Indian food, in general.

Blue Smoke - 8 - Very good BBQ in Gramercy  -Although, after trying the nearby Hill Country recently, well... ;)  -However, unlike most of the other Danny Meyer establishments, it's informal and relatively inexpensive throughout.  -However, "relatively inexpensively" doesn't mean cheap.

Jazz Standard - This is the jazz club in the basement of Blue Smoke, and features the same menu.  However, what's great about Jazz Standard is that there is no food and drink minimum to enjoy the pretty amazing line-up of jazzers, and the cover charges are quite reasonable too for the talent they bring in ($15-30).

The Modern - N.D.T.Y. (Not Dined There Yet) ;)  However, I have dined at Cafe 2 and Terrace 5 which are the less formal dining establishments in the Museum of Modern Art.

Cafe 2 - 6 - The food is very good, but I wish the prices were a dollar or two cheaper - I've seen families run up quite the tab trying to feed everyone.  It's all served cafeteria style, but not at your typical cafeteria speed of service.  A lot of items are ordered at the main counter and then brought to your table.  I also just find the Italian/Mediterranean menu sort of at odds with MoMA's aesthetic.

Terrace 5 - 7 - There's nothing like securing one of the outdoor tables overlooking the sculpture garden while enjoying a beautifully composed salad of roasted vegetables and greens, a perfectly prepared chicken paillard, the house-made chocolates served in a MoMA-inspired box, a perfectly frothed hot chocolate served with a trio of homemade marshmallows, and/or a nice glass of wine.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #289 on: March 18, 2008, 06:08:45 PM »

As for the forthcoming Kritzerland release... I, too, am VERY excited about it.  Alas, due to a possible issue that may have occurred while I was traveling week, I have to refrain from any "extraneous" credit card transactions right now.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #290 on: March 18, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »

Let's face it, Evening Primrose didn't make much of a stir when it first appeared on ABC's Studio 67.

It wasn't until three years later that Sondheim himself finally broke through and caught the public's attention with Company, immediately followed by Follies and A Little Night Music.  Yes, he'd been part of WSS, Gypsy, and Forum, plus Do I Hear a Waltz and Anyone Can Whistle, but it was those three back-to-back productions he did with Hal Prince that put him on the general radar.

My own first encounter with any of the EP music came with the release of the 1973 Sondheim Tribute concert cast recording, aka the Scrabble album.  I have loved the song "I Remember" ever since, "Take Me To the World" a little less so.  And the score has been a cult item ever since, even with three complete renditions of the songs (that I know of) bringing it to more and more mainstream exposure.

That our BK has been able to get the rights to release the original television recording, with incidental music included, is just one more reason I refer to him as "the esteemed" BK.  Kudos.

And I only kiss ass when I really mean it.

singdaw

« Reply #291 on: March 18, 2008, 06:10:44 PM »

DR JoseSPiano - Once again, and as always, thanks for sharing your considerable impressions with us.  Most interesting!  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #292 on: March 18, 2008, 06:16:21 PM »

Jose:

"Relatively inexpensively"?

Wiggles must have some real range of influence!

singdaw

« Reply #293 on: March 18, 2008, 06:21:03 PM »

Then Fletcher decided that he, too, wanted to be on the couch, at the end opposite der B.  Wiggles watched very carefully as Fletcher carefully positioned himself at his end, not very sure if he was supposed to make way for the giant spotted thing.

Fletcher and Wiggles are now sharing the couch, butt to butt.

Thus creating Wiggles room.    ::)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #294 on: March 18, 2008, 06:27:24 PM »

Jose:

"Relatively inexpensively"?

Wiggles must have some real range of influence!

All for you, DR SWW.  All for you.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #295 on: March 18, 2008, 06:32:28 PM »

Martha came out with a new cookbook today:

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #296 on: March 18, 2008, 06:33:32 PM »

American Yodel SPOILER TIME!

Enough space yet?

How about now.  OK.  

It's another Beatles night, and I am shocked.  Yes, shocked.

I mean, I knew that the Beatles are no longer as influential as they were.  But some of these kids don't even seem to know who the Beatles were!

Talk about making something passe!

On the other hand, if the Beatles get "rediscovered" because of AY, will they become "trendy"?  Is that something we should wish for?

Go back to reading the posts, people.  Spoiler over.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #297 on: March 18, 2008, 06:34:59 PM »

I know Anyone Can Whistle, but does that mean Martha can whistle?

Does anyone really want to watch her pucker up her lips?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #298 on: March 18, 2008, 06:35:23 PM »

DR JoseSPiano - Once again, and as always, thanks for sharing your considerable impressions with us.  Most interesting!  :)

You're very welcome.

And I just found out that I will be dining at Tribeca Grill this Thursday!   I wonder if co-owner, Robert DeNiro, will be in attendance that night?  ;)

Hmm... I guess I could also come up with a listing of ratings for the other restaurants in the Myriad Restaurant Group too.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #299 on: March 18, 2008, 06:39:07 PM »

Alas, if you have her other cookbooks (especially her baking tome) and have collected some of the recipes from her magazine, then purchasing the new book is sort of redundant.  Well, at least for me, that is.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up