Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A MEATBALL MADE OF PUDDING  (Read 24344 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:A MEATBALL MADE OF PUDDING
« Reply #240 on: March 24, 2008, 02:58:22 PM »

Well, repairman is gone. We talked about the Miss Marple mysteries while he took my $70 payment.

He will be back on Thursday for another $184 dollars and a new machine timer.

Was that price quoted before or after you asked him if he liked Bollywood movies?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #241 on: March 24, 2008, 02:59:48 PM »

Don't forget The Doodlebops.

While we mourn the loss of "Bear In The Big Blue House" :(

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #242 on: March 24, 2008, 03:01:24 PM »

Never - I watched almost an entire episode when they were being discussed here.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #243 on: March 24, 2008, 03:01:54 PM »

I think I will watch Joan Crawford now in HARRIET CRAIG.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #244 on: March 24, 2008, 03:03:54 PM »

MBarnum, I'm pleased the good luck with repairs continues.  $70 would have been better than a repeat visit-both are better than purchasing a new machine.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #245 on: March 24, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »

Well, time for me to head out again.  Dinner and a show.  I believe dinner will be at John's Pizza in Times Square, and the show will be Cry Baby at The Marquis.  -I shall snag a few extra Playbills for any DRs who would like one, DR JRand.  ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #246 on: March 24, 2008, 03:10:28 PM »

BTW, just a general question for all:

At night and when you get up from it, do you turn your computer completely off, put it in a sleep/hibernation mode, or leave it running all the time?

I completely turn off my computer.  It's too close to my bed (I have a loft bedroom and it's open over the room below where my computer is) and too loud to keep on while I'm sleeping.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #247 on: March 24, 2008, 03:25:28 PM »

I shall now be on my way to the Heim of Ana, after which I shall return.  However, if I end up at Panera, I'll post from there.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #248 on: March 24, 2008, 03:33:25 PM »

Well, I think what we are all forgetting about Mr. Gene Kelly.....those tight little buns of his!

Your erotomania is boundless!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #249 on: March 24, 2008, 03:34:17 PM »

The computer is kept on 24/7 - but both the mointor and the computer automatically go into a power save mode when there is no activity.

der Brucer
They've also gone into power save mode while I've been online.  I think they're trying to tell me I'm boring.   :-\
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #250 on: March 24, 2008, 03:38:30 PM »

Oh, and "Playhouse Disney" is the Disney Channel from 6:00am-Noon (usually).  "Johnny & The Sprites" is on on the weekends at 7:30am (Saturday and Sunday).  Right after "The Wiggles". ;)
No relation to the pup we're fostering.   :D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #251 on: March 24, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »

I couldn't no matter how hard I try.  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #252 on: March 24, 2008, 03:51:51 PM »

I just finished reading THE FRANCHISE AFFAIR by Josephine Tey.  There are also two films, 1952 & ’88, plus a 1962 English TV series.  Has anyone seen any of these?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #253 on: March 24, 2008, 03:57:37 PM »

Well, I think what we are all forgetting about Mr. Gene Kelly.....those tight little buns of his!

"Little"?

As an actor, Kelly puzzles/annoys me me.  As a dancer, he exhilarates me.  As a director...well, I enjoy "Hello, Dolly!" more and more with each viewing, but I think that's more because we don't get muscial movies made with such attention to detail and music performance and dance as we used to.  And then there's the Herman score which was beautifully served...IMO.

In "The Pirate Ballet" (from "The Pirate") he's extraordinary.  As Serafin, the actor, yuck.  I love his "Slaughter on 10th Avenue", too.  And he's totally charming/delightful in "On the Town."  To me, that is.

But he never seemingly met a ham he couldn't out-ham.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

George

« Reply #254 on: March 24, 2008, 04:05:04 PM »

Just had a good conversation with an important person.

Let's hope that this leads to much good news!! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #255 on: March 24, 2008, 04:07:15 PM »

For all DR's on a lighter note:

The new husband of my niece Emily who received many HHW vibes late last year, Ryan, had his surgery at Johns Hopkins today and is doing fine.  All cancer was removed and the bladder is intact, to put it indelicately - thanks again to all for thinking of him.....

Great news!!  

~~~Continued Vibes for JRand's Niece Emily's New Husband!!~~~

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #256 on: March 24, 2008, 04:07:28 PM »

DR JOSE - Playbills would be most appreciated!

Joan Crawford certainly is mean in HARRIET CRAIG!

Ginny

« Reply #257 on: March 24, 2008, 04:25:01 PM »

I just finished reading THE FRANCHISE AFFAIR by Josephine Tey.  There are also two films, 1952 & ’88, plus a 1962 English TV series.  Has anyone seen any of these?

DR Jane - haven't seen any of those, but I have read Josephine Tey's To Love and Be Wise.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #258 on: March 24, 2008, 04:28:27 PM »

I've never seen "Singin' in the Rain" except on stage about 17 years or so ago.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #259 on: March 24, 2008, 04:31:41 PM »

Let's get back to today's title, shall we?

While we Americans think of puddings as being a thick, sweet and soft dessert, they don't have to be a sweet at all.  The wider scope of puddings include dishes that are made of a combination of ingredients that are bound together with some kind of thickener and then cooked.  The binder can be flour, eggs, batters of various types, suet, even blood.  (Sorry, Jane.)  Many types of sausages are considered "puddings".

I found the following in James Beard's American Cookery:

Beefsteak Pudding:
Mrs. Crowen offers a curious version of this dish.  It is made with a steak beaten almost to a paste, seasoned with salt and pepper, dotted with butter, then rolled into a pastry prepared with beef drippings and wrapped in a pudding cloth.  It is boiled for two hours, cut in slices, and served with melted butter and catsup.

However, the traditional version, which was established in this country by the English settlers, is surely the favorite.  It was occasionally made with game - bear, venison, and smaller game - instead of beef.

Line a two to two-and-a-half quart pudding bowl or mixing bowl with a suet crust, allowing enough to overlap the edge.  Cut a 2 1/2 to 3 pound round steak, 1 inch thick into strips 1 by 2 inches and flour the strips.  Place in the bowl in a layer, and alternate with layers of veal kidneys (3 or 4) which have been cut into slices, and 2 finely chopped onions, sprinkling with seasonings (1 tsp. thyme, 1/4 cup chopped parsley, and salt and pepper), until the layers almost reach the top of the bowl.  Pour in stock or water to fill 3/4 of the bowl.  Dampen the edge of the bottom crust, put a top crust on and secure it to the bottom crust.  It is best to allow enough pastry, top and bottom, so that the two crusts can be pressed together and turned under, making a firmer seal.  Next, take a heavy cloth, wring it out in hot water, and sprinkle liberally with flour.  Tie this carefully over the pudding so that no water can penetrate during the steaming process.  Place the bowl in a large kettle.  Pour in water to cover 2/3 of the bowl.  Place a lid on the kettle, and boil for about 4 hours.  Remove the pudding cloth.

Serve from the bowl placed on a platter and surround with boiled potatoes and, perhaps, Brussels sprouts.

Maybe not a dish everyone would enjoy.  Beard doesn't say how many people this is supposed to serve.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #260 on: March 24, 2008, 04:37:28 PM »

I've never seen "Singin' in the Rain" except on stage about 17 years or so ago.
Matthew!  The film is a classic!  What you saw on stage cannot compare.  Debbie Reynolds is luminous, Donald O'Connor is hilarious, and what-his-name dances very well.

DR Matt could probably give a better reaction, but bonus stuff on the two disc set that came out a few years ago were fairly good, as I remember.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #261 on: March 24, 2008, 04:38:56 PM »

I've got some meatballs to bake in the oven.  A nice, light tomato sauce should go well with them, along with some rigitoni and garlic bread.

BrettySpaghetti

• Insert hilarious quip here
    • The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #262 on: March 24, 2008, 04:47:19 PM »

TOTD:

My first cop show was Dick Tracy -- not the live-action version, but the cartoon with Joe Jitsu and Heap O'Calorie.

My favorite all-time cop show would have to be NYPD Blue. It was a masterwork of ensemble acting. And they showed some bare butts.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #263 on: March 24, 2008, 04:49:18 PM »

DR MATTHEW you cannot spend a more glorious 103 minutes than SINGIN' IN THE RAIN.

All the performers even YKW at the peak of their careers and lovely Debbie Reynolds at the start of hers.   Jean Hagen is perfection, and all of the supporting cast - Rita Moreno, King Donovan, Cyd Charisse, Douglas Fowley, Madge Blake, Kathleen Freeman, and MORE - everything some other movie musicals claim to be.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #264 on: March 24, 2008, 04:49:42 PM »

DR SWW - still doesn't make me hungry.

George

« Reply #265 on: March 24, 2008, 04:54:17 PM »

Topic of the Day:  "Medium"...otherwise, has anyone mentioned "Barney Miller"? :)

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 04:55:19 PM by George »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #266 on: March 24, 2008, 05:03:28 PM »

I do not know the play CRAIG'S WIFE - written by Grace Kelly's uncle - and I haven't seen the movie version with Rosalind Russell....but this HARRIET CRAIG is one of the few movies I ever saw where someone got the best of Joan Crawford....and it was Wendell Corey!

Even K.T. Stevens got in a few good punches.   Whew!

Ben

« Reply #267 on: March 24, 2008, 05:08:09 PM »

We turn our computer off overnight and when we know we will be away for long periods. If we are watching a movie or television or if we leave the apartment we turn it off. When I'm at work, there are times when Anthony doesn't turn the computer on until the late afternoon. We do use a screen saver now because on the computer that died in January we had our desktop image burn into the screen. Rose (Ant's mother) asked about it when she saw the monitor. It's not REALLY obvious but it's obvious enough.

It's this very picture

Ben

« Reply #268 on: March 24, 2008, 05:09:01 PM »

We "borrowed" a couple of images from Dick and Jane to put together a desktop photo.

We're just too gay  ;)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 05:09:39 PM by Ben »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #269 on: March 24, 2008, 05:24:00 PM »

Someday, Ant, someone will buy you a pair of long pants.

;D
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up