Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A MEATBALL MADE OF PUDDING  (Read 23476 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:A MEATBALL MADE OF PUDDING
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2008, 08:12:20 AM »

And the word of the day is: DOYEN!

This was heard over the telephones at the local old folk's home:

"Hi, Nancy!"
"Hi, Helen!"
"What's the doin', fellow DOYEN?"
"What's the tale, Nightingale?"
"Have you heard about Hugo and Kim?"

And so on.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2008, 08:13:14 AM »

I'd supply the choreography for the above for the Page Three Dance, but none of those geezers at the Old Folk's Home are up to it any more.   :'(
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2008, 08:13:41 AM »

I also just finished an enjoyable UK series with Tom Conti originally entitled "Donovan," but which has been rechristened "DNA" for its DVD release, no doubt to lure acronym-titled crime procedural fans to its shores.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

singdaw

« Reply #63 on: March 24, 2008, 08:16:23 AM »

Thanks, DR SWW!  :D  Good to have all of those definitions in one spot.

singdaw

« Reply #64 on: March 24, 2008, 08:17:21 AM »

***CASH FLOW VIBES***[/size][/color]
for DR elmore3003![/size][/color]

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2008, 08:17:43 AM »

Yes, you are correct derBrucer.  Vanilla ice cream is best when served.
"Vanilla ice cream is a dish best served cold." - a Khan Noonien Singh reference.

singdaw

« Reply #66 on: March 24, 2008, 08:19:19 AM »

And as for meatballs made of pudding...

Well, just don't forget that the proof is in the pudding.

In it!   :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: March 24, 2008, 08:21:16 AM »

AN AMERICAN IN PARIS is certainly not my favorite Gene Kelly picture either, but there's a lot to like in it, at least for me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #68 on: March 24, 2008, 08:23:35 AM »

Favorite Gene Kelly: all three films he did with Judy Garland, all of which contain career highlights for him.

IT'S ALWAYS FAIR WEATHER

ON THE TOWN

BRIGADOON

(Of course) SINGIN' IN THE RAIN

I like all of these more than AN AMERICAN IN PARIS.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:24:53 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #69 on: March 24, 2008, 08:26:00 AM »

Now I must head downstairs and get ready to go to lunch. Best friend John's two children have a school holiday today, so they'll be joining us for lunch, and we're going to a pizza buffet, so I'll be back later about 20 pounds heavier.

;D

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: March 24, 2008, 08:27:02 AM »

RLP, why do you get so riled when JRand expresses his dislike of a performer? He is just funnin' for crying out loud! Jack knows of my love (love, love) for Gene Kelly, but heck, I don't mind his making with the remarks about him.

Now, just calm down young man!

There's having an opinion and then there's engaging in an ongoing litany of bilious spite.

We get it.  He dislikes Gene Kelly.

But to call Kelly pretentious (!), and to dismiss his dancing in AAIP as dumb, is really asking for a response from someone who disagrees with him.

You are far more understanding than I, MBarnum.  JRand can be a choreographer, have his own sensibilities about what is good and not good, and  he can dislike the dancing of Gene Kelly, but if he's going to put himself out there and make just plain ugly remarks about it, it begs a retort.

If Jrand is free to make such remarks, I see no reasons why I should not be free to do the same.

Of course, he knows how I react to such pronouncements about successful celebrities and will no doubt have a good laugh that he's once again baited me with his wry musings.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 08:58:13 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #71 on: March 24, 2008, 08:27:03 AM »

I never missed an episode of NYPD BLUE, but I also like THE SHIELD, THE WIRE and HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREETS.

I guess I tend to lean toward the "grittier" shows.

It's been so long ago, but I THINK that the first TV cop show I ever saw was RACKET SQUAD.  Interestingly, years later, it's star (Reed Hadley) became one of my very first publicity clients.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: March 24, 2008, 08:27:13 AM »

DR Jane - THIS is the salad dressing I ended up making.  It was tangy and delicious, though I'd prefer it didn't contain the sugar!

Sing, I'd had much success reducing or eliminating the sugar from recipes that I felt didn't need it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: March 24, 2008, 08:27:31 AM »

I remember having meeting a cousin of Mr. Kelly's, who looked a great deal like him.  They apparently didn't really care for each other, mutually.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: March 24, 2008, 08:27:41 AM »

Hello, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2008, 08:31:51 AM »

DR singdaw - Salad dressings are very forgiving.  Next time - and there will be a next time - leave out the sugar - and the salt - during your initial mix and whisk.  Taste it, and then season from there.  The parmesan cheese and the ketchup may give you enough salty flavor on their own, and the ketchup and balsamic will also contribute some sweetness.  If it still does need a bit of either component, add it accordingly.  If you'd rather not use (white) sugar, you can use turbinado, honey, maybe even maple syrup (sparingly!).

Personally, I prefer my salad dressings on the vinegary side, otherwise, it seems like I just poured some dessert topping on my mesclun.  Also keep in mind, that a lot of classic salad dressing recipes are over-seasoned on purpose since they're usually served chilled, and the cold mutes the flavors.
Excellent suggestion! You may not feel that sugar is needed at all. (I used to be quite the cook at one time. You'd never know it now, though!)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2008, 08:32:00 AM »

Interesting list for Gene Kelly films, DR Matt.  For myself, I'm the reverse on AAIP and Brigadoon - mainly because I genuinely don't care for the latter's story or music, which mars my interest in Mr. Kelly's work in the film.  Horseracing.

JMK

« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2008, 08:32:47 AM »

An Ongoing Litany of Bilious Spite--that's the title of my next....oh, never mind.  ;)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2008, 08:33:16 AM »

Macrobiotic cuisine uses brown rice syrup as a sweetener. I quite like it. Ever used it, Jose or Woody?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2008, 08:34:07 AM »

And though I love a lot of Gene Kelly's films, I must second JR's opinion about AAIP.  I just never "got" that one.  Sorry.

The subject, JMK, is Gene Kelly, rather than the film AAIP, which has a rather weak script but features spectacular music and dancing, IMO.

I don't care what anyone thinks of the film.  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2008, 08:34:38 AM »

It sounds like a whole lot of laundry went on yesterday by our DRs.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2008, 08:41:22 AM »

Macrobiotic cuisine uses brown rice syrup as a sweetener. I quite like it. Ever used it, Jose or Woody?
Frankly, this is the first I've heard of the stuff!

JMK

« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2008, 08:44:49 AM »

Former DR Aura18 is a macrobiotic maven and used to regale us with recipes via long telephonic conversations.  (What am I, BK all of a sudden?).

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2008, 08:49:38 AM »

Frankly, this is the first I've heard of the stuff!

Re: brown rice syrup:
I like it because it provides some sweetness without tasting sugary or being too sweet. My preference is for foods that are rich, but not overly sweet.

JMK

« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2008, 08:50:01 AM »

The subject, JMK, is Gene Kelly,

Don't tell that to Frank Gilroy.

MBarnum

« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2008, 08:56:27 AM »

I am beginning to think that maybe I have never seen AN AMERICAN IN PARIS....I do love the music, however.

singdaw

« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2008, 08:56:48 AM »

Don't tell that to Frank Gilroy.

;D

And, to bring it full circle...

Moses supposes his toeses are roses...

:)

singdaw

« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2008, 08:59:50 AM »

As for natural sweeteners, I like stevia a lot, but I've never tried to cook with it; I don't know how it reacts to heat.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2008, 08:59:58 AM »

A couple of days ago, DR Ron P posted -

And "Killing Me Softly" was a song off a mostly forgotten (low-selling) album that Clint Eastwood had and used forn "Play Misty For Me", thus making it "famous" as "Golden Girls" did its borrowed song.

Close, but no banana.

The song used by Clint Eastwood in PMFM is "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face."

Both songs were recorded by Roberta Flack, which probably accounts for your delusion confusion.  (And, yes, her recording of the song was for the most part unheard at the time it was initially released, so you at least got that part of the story right.)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2008, 09:00:50 AM »

Catching up with the posts of yore is so much fun!   ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12   Go Up