Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WITH A CAPITAL T AND THAT RHYMES WITH P AND THAT STANDS FOR POOL  (Read 48546 times)

singdaw

Re:WITH A CAPITAL T AND THAT RHYMES WITH P AND THAT STANDS FOR POOL
« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2008, 06:22:20 AM »

[size=20]PAGE 2!!![/size][/color]

singdaw

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2008, 06:25:20 AM »

My, oh my...

Today's notes were full of toe nails and ear holes and other bodily parts, weren't they?

Ben

« Reply #32 on: April 02, 2008, 06:33:55 AM »

A late good morning to Cil

FJL

« Reply #33 on: April 02, 2008, 06:39:19 AM »

Did we already do "You can walk to prithee in the rain and never wet your feet?"

FJL

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2008, 06:39:40 AM »

More and continuous health vibes to TCB

Cillaliz

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2008, 06:40:14 AM »

I had a "too many connections" after saying hello to Ben, so I got ready for work.

Cillaliz

« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2008, 06:40:51 AM »

HEALTHY AND PAIN FREE VIBES TO DR TCB~

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2008, 06:41:23 AM »

Good morning, all! I was up too late reading the Julie andrews bio, and I am stuck here today waiting for two shipments.

I will continue to lay out the orchestra parts and write that piano part I mentioned yesterday.

When I was a kid, I loved the Frisch Big Boy chain, but I haven't been in one of those for years.  When I return to Ohio, I see a lot of Applebee's,
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Cillaliz

« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2008, 06:42:11 AM »

Oh, and I washed my oatmeal bowl... Now that I have to try to lower my cholesterol I'm going for the morning oatmeal or Cheerios.  At least we're just doing the diet and exercise thing for now.

Cillaliz

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2008, 06:43:39 AM »

I like Chilis.   When I was a kid I loved The Happy Chef. I loved going to Minneapolis and stopping at the Happy Chef in Mankato and pressing the button on the huge Happy Chef so he would talk to me.    (It's a sculpture about 2 stories tall)

Cillaliz

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2008, 06:44:50 AM »

Time to go to work.   Much to do and it won't get done until I go do it!

singdaw

« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2008, 06:56:27 AM »

When I was a kid I loved The Happy Chef. I loved going to Minneapolis and stopping at the Happy Chef in Mankato

I've been to that very one!   :D   Also known as The Gay Gourmet.

singdaw

« Reply #42 on: April 02, 2008, 07:00:48 AM »

How embarrassing!  Didn't anyone tell Victoria that she had a horn sticking out of her a#@?

FJL

« Reply #43 on: April 02, 2008, 07:06:54 AM »

Well, she was playing a soon to be gramma, and that is a grammaphone, right?

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2008, 07:09:15 AM »

I like Chilis.   When I was a kid I loved The Happy Chef. I loved going to Minneapolis and stopping at the Happy Chef in Mankato and pressing the button on the huge Happy Chef so he would talk to me.    (It's a sculpture about 2 stories tall)

And where exactly was the button?  :o
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2008, 07:11:29 AM »

How embarrassing!  Didn't anyone tell Victoria that she had a horn sticking out of her a#@?

You think she'd listen?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2008, 07:13:18 AM »

I saw Cry-Baby last night. I liked it. I wasn't blown away. There are some good performances and Rob Ashford does a great job with choreography. I especially liked the "tap dance" number. It's colorful (lots of pastels and bright colors). The request to turn off your cell phone and unwrap candies is funny and the exit music is also a lot of fun.

It's one of those (for me anyway) hard to categorize shows. I liked it (as I just said) but nothing really stands out as WONDERFUL. I'm a big fan of Harriet Harris and she's fine as the "conflicted" grandmother. Christopher J. Hanke who plays the "good boy" and Elizabeth Stanley who plays the "good girl gone bad" are both fun to watch but Hanke looks (to me) like Mark-Paul Gosselaar (the blond kid from Saved by the Bell). His first Broadway show was the jaw-dropping In My Life. Stanley reminds me of Sherie Rene Scott. James Snyder works his butt off as Cry-Baby and has lots of fun on stage. Alli Mauzey is VERY funny as a crazy girl in love with Cry-Baby and/or whoever her inner voices tell her to be in love with. The music is cute (if formulaic) and toe-tapping for the time it's being played but it doesn't stick around in your head (that's probably a good thing). There isn't a song I strongly remember. At about 2 and a quarter hours it's still a bit too long. There are, IIRC, something like 18 or 19 songs in the show. Some could be cut or trimmed without losing any flow or understanding. The humor isn't especially crass, although it is even more adult than Hairspray (many of the people involved in that show are part of this one). It is based on a John Waters film after all so you have to expect some crude moments. I don't know the film at all so I can't compare the two pieces. It's just missing a spark that the original production of Hairspray had (the current Hairspray does NOT hold up well, IMHO, it's tired and not very funny). I went in with no preconceptions, no agendas or biases. I just wish I liked it more. I like it enough, but not enough to see it again. As far as recommending it, I don't know. If you know and like the movie you will probably enjoy the show. If you don't know anything about it you may leave the theatre, like me, wondering what all the fuss was about in California. I don't have a clue how this will play out with the critics. There are definitely good moments in the show and if/when it goes to TDF (right now all seats for previews are $54 dollars based on the fact that the show takes place in 1954) it would be a good buy but $115...I don't think so. There will be $35 rear mezz seats when the show officially opens and those will be snapped up by the theatre rats (like me) but, based on audience reaction last night, I don't think it will do overwhelming business. As most theatregoers know, a standing ovation is almost de rigeur nowadays but there were not a lot of standees last night (the theatre was also not full). It's not a strong season for new musicals so CB will definitely be in the list of Tony noms for Best Musical but I don't know that it will win anything.

Anyway, as I ramble on for paragraph after paragraph, those are my thoughts on Cry-Baby. Take 'em or leave 'em.

Later, gaters.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2008, 07:19:33 AM »

Wednesday morning greetings!  Today is the first of 3 workdays when I have no meetings, no programs, no appointments scheduled.  Maybe I can get some work done!

DR Elmore - Your friend's name caught my eye when I was reading the same alumni magazine (I used to know someone with the same last name).  Thank you for sharing the story about him last night.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2008, 07:20:55 AM »

Take 'em or leave 'em.

I'll take 'em!   :D   Thanks for the detailed report, DR Ben!

singdaw

« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2008, 07:22:26 AM »

"...so this baby with a knapsack walks into a bar..."

photo:   Silver Bullet Trailer

FJL

« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2008, 07:22:27 AM »

Ben - I figure CRY BABY will get a Tony  nomination for its score, mainly on the strength of David Javerbaum's lyrics, but only four of the (I believe) eight possibilities can be Best Musical nominees:

A Catered Affair
Cry Baby
Glory Days
In the Heights
Little Mermaid
Passing Strange
Xanadu
Young Frankenstein

singdaw

« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2008, 07:24:54 AM »

Does the lady in red always get the hunk?

photo:   The American Dream/The Sandbox

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2008, 07:25:33 AM »

TOD - There used to be a chain called Bill Knapp's that we liked a lot.  My first meal in Middletown was lunch there during my job interview in 1973 and it was always the favorite place of DH Richard's parents.  The chain went out of business several years ago and I still miss it - as recently as this past Saturday when Richard picked me up at the airport and we wanted to stop to eat.  I wanted a Bill Knapp's cheeseburger!

For current chains, I'll take Panera, Bravo Cucina Italiana, Outback, Cheesecake Factory.  
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 07:32:52 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #53 on: April 02, 2008, 07:29:27 AM »

Thanks to DR BEN for the CRY BABY report, and for the Buckingham Palace News yesterday!

DR CILLA LIZ - what a treasure!  Here's hoping it's worth a lot of $$$ for you and the kitties!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: April 02, 2008, 07:29:52 AM »

Wasn't Prithee a character in Gone With the Wind?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #55 on: April 02, 2008, 07:30:43 AM »

My question for ASK BK day:

What is the single most useful advice a director ever gave you?

What is the single most useful advice you, as a director, have given to an actor?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: April 02, 2008, 07:31:01 AM »

I can't hear you there's a moth in my ear!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #57 on: April 02, 2008, 07:34:05 AM »

Perhaps we should all take photos of our bookshelves today to help encourage DR JANE in her chore.  I am sure all of our bookshelves are neat and tidy and in perfect order.

Ben

« Reply #58 on: April 02, 2008, 07:36:38 AM »

Ben - I figure CRY BABY will get a Tony  nomination for its score, mainly on the strength of David Javerbaum's lyrics, but only four of the (I believe) eight possibilities can be Best Musical nominees:

A Catered Affair
Cry Baby
Glory Days
In the Heights
Little Mermaid
Passing Strange
Xanadu
Young Frankenstein

I see Catered Affair tonight and, thought I shouldn't, I'm going in with high hopes. I've heard very good things about the fixed up In the Heights (seeing it next Tuesday, April 8). I wrote about Passing Strange after I saw it. I don't know nuttin' about Glory Days (other than the press I've read). I'm not one of the fans of Xanadu so I'm hoping it's not one of the 4 in the Tony race. Of the shows listed I'm hoping for Catered Affair, In the Heights, and the other two are up for grabs, perhaps Little Mermaid and Cry Baby or LM and Young Frankenstein.

If some news I received yesterday from a friend pans out the Helen Hayes may be open in the fall anyway. I can say no more (a Help reference)

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #59 on: April 02, 2008, 07:40:43 AM »

There is a 35 acre tract of land in Marietta near Kennesaw Mountain Battlefield, which is a national park. The owners decided the property was too prime to hang on to, so they decided to sell it. Developers were salivating over it, but in the end, the family decided to sell it to the park so they could expand.

The family is the Hensleys, as in Shuler Hensley.

I had known about the land and the potential sale for awhile but never knew who owned it until reading about it in the paper today. Apparently, Shuler's father didn't go to the ceremony yesterday (he'd had heart surgery). I didn't know that he was a former state representative.

Anyway, something nice in the news today!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up