Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: EVENING PRIMROSE  (Read 28484 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
EVENING PRIMROSE
« on: April 08, 2008, 12:45:01 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were posted in the evening, and now it is time for you to post until the primrose cows come home.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 12:32:04 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:EVENING PRIMROSE
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008, 12:45:51 AM »

And the word of the day is: VOLUBLE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008, 01:12:01 AM »

Nobody here but us chickens.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008, 01:12:15 AM »

And us chickens are about to hit the hay.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2008, 01:12:41 AM »

Welcome twelve GUESTS.

singdaw

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2008, 01:33:24 AM »

WOD, in a sentence:

Harold Hill is a voluble fellow.

singdaw

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2008, 01:34:37 AM »

Kritzerland site is still behaving oddly in some browsers.  At least for me.  Hope that doesn't discourage people from ordering, if the problem is more widespread.

singdaw

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2008, 01:45:09 AM »

TOD:

Picking just a few favorite Sondheim songs?  A Sophie's Choice moment!    :P

Depending on where I've been and what mood I was in, I think most all of SJS's songs have been personal favorites at one time or another.

I know that my introduction to Sondheim's work was discovering and wearing out my parent's LP of Company when I was about 12, and I've never looked back!  First stage show live was the original NY cast of Sweeney Todd.

I am thrilled for this opportunity for bk and Kritzerland.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2008, 02:38:15 AM »

TOD

My Sondheim Firsts:

Returning from a Naval Academy European cruise in the summer of 1958, I met my future Mrs in NYC and we saw West Side Story - and my first Sondheim album

When I was in Graduate School in Monterey CA in 1966, I saw a neat TV show called Evening Primrose - too bad it has still not been released as a CD

First Sondheim Words and Music on stage - Follies in LA

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2008, 02:41:30 AM »

ist semi-sondheim was cast album for GYPSY; Ist M&L was the cast album for forum(both courtesy of the Lowell City Library)I saw EVENING PRIMROSE on TV, minus the ist song(I was now working at the Library after school)Ist All sondheim on stage was a very nice bus and Truck of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC, with Julie Wilson as Desiree, in Ann Arbor in '77. Fave Songs= Clowns, Love, I Hear, Anyone Can Whistle, Who Could Be Blue, Someone in a Tree, Not While I'm Around ,Not A Day Goes by and What Can you Lose

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2008, 02:42:02 AM »

Good Morning Jose:

Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times
Valerie Confections' hazelnut-orange tea cakes.

LA TIMES

Lemon-myrtle, lavender-Earl Grey, hazelnut-orange -- the selection of tea cakes from Valerie Confections screams spring.

Assistant Food editor Betty Hallock is a fan: "They're moist, dense and not too sweet -- and not overly precious either," she says. "The hazelnut-orange tea cakes are rich with nutty flavor and bright with candied orange peel. And that citrusy-crackly-zingy glaze is, well, the icing on the cake."

(For the daring there is a recipe)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Danise

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2008, 03:38:23 AM »

Good morning all!  I'm sorry I'm not on the bus, DR Ginny.   I have a little extra time this morning because we're having a clerical meeting today.  I have to drive about 2 miles to go to it and since it's by my bus stop, my boss will allow me to drop my car off there and I'll ride the bus home.

The big news is that Bear got fed up with not being able to get on the bed and he somehow managed to climb up last night!  It wasn't to hard to get him down either.  I took a little step stool I had and he jumped down on top of it.

I did order some steps and I hope that he'll be able to use them when they come but we'll have to see how that goes.

Congrats to Bruce and Kritzerland!

I gave up on watching NEW AMSTERDAM.  The few that I watched seemed like a cheep copy of HIGHLANDER.   I guess there really can only be one!

Gotta scoot!  Laters!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2008, 03:49:40 AM »

Many is the time that I have had to ask der Brucer to turn down the sound on the main television set, because he'll have the VOLUBLE turned up to eleven!

(Der Brucer loves to be a Tufnel reference.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2008, 03:55:03 AM »

Good Morning Jose:

Mel Melcon / Los Angeles Times
Valerie Confections' hazelnut-orange tea cakes.

LA TIMESder Brucer

You're just out of luck, der B - you know full well that I'm a cook, not a baker.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2008, 03:57:36 AM »

First Live:

Gypsy (I was in it)

First Broadway: Sweeney Todd

First Opening Night: Sunday In The Park With George

First cast album:
probably West Side Story (my parents)

One I bought

Probably Sweeney Todd
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2008, 04:10:05 AM »

TOD:...I know that my introduction to Sondheim's work was discovering and wearing out my parent's LP of Company when I was about 12, and I've never looked back!...

What a nice way to make me feel OLD.  My introduction to Sondheim was also Company - back when I was starting college, you little whippersnapdaw!

What was a little different, for me, was that it wasn't the OCR that I first heard, but an album recorded by Arthur Fiedler and the Boston Pops.  There were four Broadway medleys on that LP, Company and three other shows.  I never bothered to listen to, and cannot remember, the other three shows after hearing the music for Company the first time.

I've long attributed this introduction, to the music sans lyrics, to my attitude that Sondheim is a composer first, and a lyricist later.

Company was also the first show I saw on stage, at Fresno State College.  Robert was played by Robert Westenberg, who later looked princely in Into the Woods, not to mention soldierly in Sunday In the Park With George.

First Sondheim show seen cold (without having heard a cast album first) - Into the Woods, at the Old Globe in San Diego, before it got to Broadway.  Der Brucer and I went down one December day and waited in line to get returned tickets.  Our timing was perfect - not only did we get the tickets (although we didn't sit together), but "No More" and "No One Is Alone" had been added to the show just days earlier.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2008, 04:15:02 AM »

Oh, in the San Diego production of ITW, the Witch was a lesbian in black leather.  And the Baker's Wife didn't get stomped on by the Giantess, but took an unwitting bite out of Snow White's apple.  And Rapunzel's tower didn't rise up, the way it would on Broadway.

Other than that, there were very few changes from what we saw in San Diego and what we saw at when the Broadway production went on tour.  

Afterthought: Should I have put a SPOILER ALERT at the top of this post?   ::)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 04:16:34 AM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2008, 04:29:40 AM »

Yesterday, Justin (one of our cartwranglers, just out of high school) told me that he didn't like the movie version of Sweeney Todd.  He didn't like Johnny Depp's whispered vocals.  

"It should have been really sung.  Like opera."

This from a kid who hasn't yet figured out that Alvin and the Chipmunks are animated characters.

link added
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 04:43:29 AM by S. Woody White »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 04:42:13 AM »

Good morning, all! I've got to leave shortly for Toyland to copy all the orchestra scores in the Appendix to the new LOS edition.  After that, drop off the completed work to Music Theatre International, return here and start the Ellington fixes for the New York City Gay Men's Chorus.

Last night I finally finished by bus/subway book FOREVER, which was both moving and exhilirating. Like Jack Finney's great New York fantasy TIME AND AGAIN, it's a great adventure, history, and New York romance.  The tv series NEW AMSTERDAM can steal its premise, but I doubt it's got the time or interest to deal with the 1741 Slave Revolt or Boss Tweed in any detail; I suppose as well that if they used these sequences, the show's really running close to plagiarism.  I think the next book for the travel bag is JOHN ADAMS, but I'd like to reread TIME AND AGAIN now.

TOD:
  First cast album: West Side Story 1963
  First libretto:  A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum 1965
  First acting: Forum 1968, Gypsy 1970
  First performance: Company, National tour 1972
  First Broadway: A Little Night Music, 1973
  Favorite songs:
       Anyone Can Whistle
       What Can You Lose?

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 04:59:06 AM »

I just took a peek at the Kritzerland home page via Internet Explorer here at work and all seems fine now.  :)

Except that it still says John Cheever.    :-\
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 05:01:46 AM by singdaw »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 05:00:58 AM »

Time to dash to work.

Hasta la.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2008, 05:10:51 AM »

Wow.....sell those CD's!!!

Of course everyone wants one!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2008, 05:11:11 AM »

Does Charmian Carr know about the release?  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2008, 05:14:17 AM »

TOD:  Hmmmmmmmmm

First was probably the soundtrack to GYPSY followed by the WEST SIDE STORY soundtrack, and a couple of WSS jazz and dance music albums which were great to listen to.  The kind by knock off orchestras that used to sell for less than a dollar at the grocery store.

First cast album I bought was COMPANY - me too.  Loved it, still do.

First live show probably WSS at some school, although I saw a touring production a few years ago.

Been in WSS, GYPSY, INTO THE WOODS.

But if I were told I had to choose HAD TO......I could still NOT decide between SWEENEY TODD and SUNDAY IN THE PARK WITH GEORGE....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2008, 05:14:55 AM »

I know Mrs. Mooney was mentioned yesterday, but I will also mention Lucy Carmichael's nemesis:  Mr. Mooney.

singdaw

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2008, 05:21:35 AM »

And, in keeping with the theme of the day, here are three of SJS's early crossword puzzles.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2008, 05:22:36 AM »

And The Song Of The Day Is: SOLILOQUY

And In Honor Of The TOD a Second SOD-  FREE
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 05:28:16 AM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2008, 05:38:20 AM »

Isn't gold the most voluble metal in the world?

Today is a work day. Oh well.

Off to work.  It is April 8 - the Eyes of Taxes are upon YOU!!

singdaw

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2008, 05:46:57 AM »

It is April 8 - the Eyes of Taxes are upon YOU!!

Oh!  I thought it was DR FJL's eyes that were watching me.    :P

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2008, 05:52:41 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it was nice to sleep through the night with no friggin' car alarm going off every 20 minutes!  Ah! :)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up