Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: VERISIMILITUDE  (Read 36352 times)

Ginny

Re:VERISIMILITUDE
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2008, 06:24:12 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  Today's a short day for me - I'm leaving at 1pm to go home and get ready for my book group meeting at our house tonight.  Our book is The Portable Dorothy Parker, so I must prepare the Algonquin Round Poinciana Oval Table.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

brian

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2008, 06:45:54 AM »

Dr Ben, thanks for the antidis def; relieved I wasnt off the mark...And is that Will Chase in the SPIDERWOMAN photo? I saw him as the replacement hero(twice) in the FULL MONTY on Bway. He was most excellant.

singdaw

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2008, 06:53:55 AM »

...And is that Will Chase in the SPIDERWOMAN photo?

Yes!  Will Chase, Natascia Diaz, & Hunter Foster.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2008, 07:01:46 AM »

One of our local high schools has received and honor (and challenge) by being asked to pilot

The Phantom of the Opera

for non-professional performances.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2008, 07:10:48 AM »

Good morning!

Should be another beautiful day here (though supposedly clouds are moving in and rain is imminent tonight and tomorrow). Highs in the 70s once again.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2008, 07:12:40 AM »

I got up early, had my oatmeal (never let DR Ben think he hasn't been instrumental in my adding morning oatmeal to my diet; many thanks), and took my car in to get its annual inspection.

Passed with flying colors, no problems at all, and I emerged about 35 minutes later $30 poorer but with another chore taken care of for another year.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2008, 07:15:51 AM »

When I got home, I decided I'd watch another MR. WONG mystery. This one was THE FATAL HOUR, and it was a fun mystery, made even more so since I was able to deduce the murderer before the revelation. This movie had a high body count!

Also, it looked quite good for a Monogram movie with nothing done to clean it up for DVD. However, at the first reel change, obviously the second reel was badly damaged because the DVD company had to use what looked like a 16mm dupe copy since it was so washed out, overly contrasted, and grainy/soft. At the next reel change, things went back to normal for the rest of the film.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2008, 07:17:15 AM »

The UPS delivery man has just left a package on my side porch, but I'll go down later to see what review copy that is. Hopefully, it won't be any more MTV or BET reality shows. I've had more than my fill of them for awhile.

I'm also expecting the Warner musical box in the mail today, and will watch DEEP IN MY HEART this afternoon if it does arrive.

singdaw

« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2008, 07:17:52 AM »

OK, you theatre-savvy DRs!  What does it mean when someone says that an actor is "indicating"?

And what exactly are acting "beats"?

Thanks!

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2008, 07:18:32 AM »

TV Reminders!

ELI STONE (on ABC)

NBC's entire Thursday line-up is back with new episodes (EARL, 30 ROCK, THE OFFICE, SCRUBS, ER).

CBS' entire Thursday line-up is new episodes (SURVIVOR, CSI, WITHOUT A TRACE).

IDOL results show.

singdaw

« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2008, 07:19:20 AM »

Wow, DR Ginny.  That WILL be a challenge!  I'm sure they'll rise to the occasion.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2008, 07:19:23 AM »

One of our local high schools has received and honor (and challenge) by being asked to pilot

The Phantom of the Opera

for non-professional performances.

DR Ginny, thanks for sending this.  I passed it on to my friends at Rodgers & Hammerstein, in case they haven't seen it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2008, 07:20:27 AM »

"Beats" are deliberate pauses added for emphasis. Sometimes the script specifies where a "beat" should be taken. At other times, it's an actor's prerogative where to insert one or more of them.

Ginny

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2008, 07:27:36 AM »

DR Ginny, thanks for sending this.  I passed it on to my friends at Rodgers & Hammerstein, in case they haven't seen it.

DR Elmore - I heard about it on WMUB (Miami's NPR station) this morning on my way to work.  Couldn't find anything on their website.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2008, 07:30:18 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm learning that the Network TV choices at 10:00am(EST) are quite lacking here in NYC.  CBS: "Guiding Light", NBC: The "new" fourth hour of "The Today Show" with Kathie Lee Gifford, ABC: "Rachel Ray"... Hmm...

Although, Kathie Lee did "announce" that she and her fourth hour co-host will be try to attend a Broadway show every Wednesday so that they can talk about it on Thursday.  They saw Gypsy last night.  Thankfully, they weren't at Sunday in the Park with George.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2008, 07:34:52 AM »

"Indicating" usually means that the actor is "projecting" their subtext.  Basically, instead "her lips said, "No," but her eyes said "Yes.", it would be a case of "her lips said, "No," but her eyes said "Yes,", but from the way she said "No" I could already tell she was really saying "Yes".  It also applies to when an actor through his/her acting starts hinting at an upcoming event in the plot, instead of living in that "present" moment.  In other words, the actor has already posted a "Spoiler Alert" on his forehead.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2008, 07:44:32 AM »

Interesting!  Thanks, DRs Matt H. and JoseSPiano!   :)

singdaw

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2008, 07:48:06 AM »

TCB .... your cookies are still in my cupboard!!!

That's not what I heard about where DR TCB's "cookies" have been!   :o

Ben

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2008, 07:48:30 AM »

Another example of "indicating" would be if an actor has to be drunk in a scene, he or she does obvious "drunk" things, like slurring words or moving erratically, etc. Now, I'm not saying that an actor playing drunk can't use those moves but if that's all they do and it's pretty clear they are not remotely drunk but just "acting it" for the moment, that's, in my opinion, indicating.

Although technique is a great help to an actor, I do think that what you're doing on stage also should be based in some kind of truth to be believable. You don't have to think of your dog dying every time you have to cry but the sadness you have to convey can be grounded and real (either with technique or memory) and it's much more effective than just fake sobbing into your hands so the audience doesn't see that you can't produce a tear to save your life.

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2008, 07:50:18 AM »

TOD:

I am more of a $1.45 kind of guy.

Matt H.

« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2008, 07:50:38 AM »

I just checked that UPS delivery: it's the hip-hop movie HOW SHE MOVE which comes out on DVD April 29th. Guess I'll do it tomorrow.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: April 10, 2008, 07:56:15 AM »

TOD:

I am more of a $1.45 kind of guy.

DR MBarnum, your vocabulary is entirely from the Dick and Jane school of American speech!  However, your awareness of your boundaries should be a lesson to us all.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: April 10, 2008, 07:58:30 AM »

You know, I always heard that most students from a certain generation (mine) had Dick and Jane readers in first grade, but my school used Alice and Jerry rather than Dick and Jane.

Did anyone else here have Alice and Jerry as their introduction to reading? I've never met another person apart from my town school friends who had Alice and Jerry.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: April 10, 2008, 07:59:20 AM »

I just realized I can't go to the NYPL today! The rare book room doesn't open untill 1 pm so I can't look at scripts till then.  I'll do it tomorrow.  Back to the critical report.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: April 10, 2008, 07:59:44 AM »

DR MBarnum, your vocabulary is entirely from the Dick and Jane school of American speech!  However, your awareness of your boundaries should be a lesson to us all.

DR Elmore, as quite often happens, you gave me my first big laugh of the day. Thanks!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 10, 2008, 08:00:34 AM »

That falling sound you hear is American Airlines stock collapsing.  I hope I never have to use that airlines.

singdaw

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2008, 08:04:47 AM »

Did anyone else here have Alice and Jerry

We had Adam and Steve.

Well, it was a progressive school!   ;)

Nope...plain old Dick & Jane for us in southern CA.

Ben

« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2008, 08:08:37 AM »

Another definition of "beat" deals with the script and your preparation as an actor. Breaking a scene into "beats" is a standard exercise in acting classes. A beat in a scene is usually a point where something is happening or being discussed. The beat changes when the action or discussion changes to something else. For example (a crude example but nontheless an example), if you're talking to someone about getting into law school that's a scene beat. If your mother comes into the room and tells you that your grandmother died and you have to prepare for her funeral, the beat has changed to something completely different. It's all intertwined with objectives, what the characters are talking about, etc. Beats can change quickly throughout a scene, depending on the dialouge and what the actors have decided they want to get from the scene. It's all very fluid.

And you thought acting was easy. All ya hadda do was get up on stage and learn your lines. No, way, Jose (or Singdaw or Ron). You gotta work to make it believable  ;)

And thus endeth your class on Acting 101

Ben

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2008, 08:09:27 AM »

Never heard of Alice and Jerry. We were a Dick and Jane and Sally crowd.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #59 on: April 10, 2008, 08:11:38 AM »

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis

This has been Gabe's favorite word for years and one he delights in tormenting adults with by challenging them to spell it.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12   Go Up