Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Down

Author Topic: VERISIMILITUDE  (Read 36202 times)

MBarnum

Re:VERISIMILITUDE
« Reply #330 on: April 10, 2008, 08:55:41 PM »

DRs TCB and MBarnum both ignored my taunts from earlier today.  They have Klass, too.  :)

So many taunts, so little time!

MBarnum

« Reply #331 on: April 10, 2008, 08:56:24 PM »

Now to see if my DVR picked up THE OFFICE!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #332 on: April 10, 2008, 09:26:29 PM »

Depressing weather here tonight... SNOW is coming down from the sky GRRR!!!!

aside from that, Good evening one and all!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #333 on: April 10, 2008, 09:34:12 PM »

I suspect I cannot blame Jose either....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #334 on: April 10, 2008, 09:49:38 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back from Gypsy, and....

POSSIBLE SPOILER AND A DEFINITE CRITIQUE AHEAD

I liked it a lot more last summer.  I know that Ms. LuPone has been fighting a cold the past couple of days - and it seemed like she was still dealing with "something" tonight - but her performance has seemed to settle in a little too much at this point.  It also seems that a few more "compromises" have been made in deference to her - and Mr. Laurents "whims".  I noticed a couple of small dialog cuts here and there, and there's even one crucial exchange between Herbie and Louise that's been changed for this run.  However, "Hold your hats and Hallelujah..." has been reinstated.  Most off-putting to me was the new final tableau/image/pose; it has to be one of the most self-indulgent bits of staging I have ever seen - it just made no sense to me.  I still like this production - or at least this version of it - but some of the new bits of business just seem to "indicate" and "foreshadow" a bit too much now.  There also seems to be a lot of "cuteness" added in.  Thankfully, "You Gotta Get A Gimmick" still lands like gangbusters!

Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #335 on: April 10, 2008, 09:50:54 PM »

WE get a taste of spring and then Winter slaps us in the face again....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #336 on: April 10, 2008, 09:52:43 PM »

OH!  One very unexpected highlight of the evening was having Christine Baranski sitting across the aisle from me.  We had a brief "reunion" and chat during intermission.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #337 on: April 10, 2008, 10:14:13 PM »

The Dick and Jane photo reminded me of something. Unlike my next door neighbors, who learned to read with Dick and Jane , our 'reader' featured John and Jean and Baby Judy; The only thing I could think of at the time was that in Catholic school, we couldn"t use nicknames(But how did baby Judy, not baby Sally, slip in there?).Did anyone learn to read with John and Jean?(I also practiced on Classics illustrated Comics, which helped keep me ahead of the curve, tho i don't think we had curves back then, except in baseball).

<raises hand>

I did! I did too!  -At least for John and Jean - not Classics Illustrated Comics.  Although, I do remember that St. Francisof Assissi comic book. My parents also had a series of Filipino comic books that featured Bible stories.  I used to read them even though I had no idea what any of the Tagalog meant.

So, who else had those SRA reading kits in grade school?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #338 on: April 10, 2008, 10:14:52 PM »

Carl from Toronto?  Wasn't that the male massage therapist that advertises on Craig's List?

No.  That was "Karl" with a K.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #339 on: April 10, 2008, 10:19:34 PM »

I think Sean Hayes has enough talent to pull off the role.   I think he would be a big improvement over Jerry Lewis.  However, I still think they should have hired me.

Well... It's quite possible that another version of the book will be fashioned for Encores.  I have it on/from good authority that will not be using the version from the last revival (Victor Garber/Jerry Lewis).  Now what I would love to see is the recreation of some of Fosse's original choreography, especially "Whatever Lola Wants" and "Who's Got the Pain" (which has become a throwaway number over the years).
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #340 on: April 10, 2008, 10:24:45 PM »

Pronounced differently, "Who's Got the Pain?" could be a bread song for BAKER'S WIFE.

FJL

« Reply #341 on: April 10, 2008, 10:25:18 PM »

Or maybe not

FJL

« Reply #342 on: April 10, 2008, 10:25:53 PM »

Perhaps a commercial for Au Bon Pain

FJL

« Reply #343 on: April 10, 2008, 10:28:06 PM »

How did "Who's Got the Pain" not get the rep that "Shipoopi" did for being one of the silliest songs ever for a hit show?  :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #344 on: April 10, 2008, 10:41:11 PM »

How did "Who's Got the Pain" not get the rep that "Shipoopi" did for being one of the silliest songs ever for a hit show?  :)

But I think silly reputation of "Shipoopi" is a good-silly reputation.  "Who's got the Pain?" has always seemed sort of puzzling to me, especially since it the Act One Finale.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #345 on: April 10, 2008, 10:46:53 PM »

As for "American Idol"...

Hmm... Tonight's elimination was a surprise.

As for the remaining people...

David Castro's rendition of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" was based on Israel Kamakawiwo Ole's version - and that includes the wrong/changed lyrics!   However, I still get his appeal or like his voice that much.

As for Kristy Lee Cook... Yes, she's beautiful, and yes, she just has to open her eyes and smile(!) more when she sings.  I think part of her upturn in popularity may have to do with all the bashing she got from Simon in previous rounds.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #346 on: April 10, 2008, 11:00:30 PM »

Well, I had planned to get up early tomorrow in order to get my hair cut, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #347 on: April 10, 2008, 11:31:48 PM »

Is there any way in the world these contestants don't know their rankings? Surely Sysha, KLC, Jason and Brooke know right now that they won't be the winner. Or is that only obvious to me?

I'd venture a guess right now and say that tonight's results were an eye-opener.

Of course, this kind of shock isn't going to be the norm.  Generally, things "right" themselves along regular  lines of guesstimation based on such things as "power rankings".

What I find amazing, though, is that the three judges seemed to think the bottom three were the right choices...but when two were named "safe", Randy and Paula seemed taken very much aback at the one left standing...and going home tonight.    

I know one thing: The one who went home is a far better singer than at least half the remaining contestants.  But when folks don't vote for you,  whatchagonnado?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #348 on: April 10, 2008, 11:32:57 PM »

It's time I put my tired self to bed.

Nighty night!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #349 on: April 10, 2008, 11:40:35 PM »

Back from our designer run-through.  Act One actually played very well and got lots of laughs - about six minutes longer than I want it to be, but that's six minutes less than it was last week so we're going in the right direction.  The other six minutes is all cue pickups and not elongating every line.  The reason that it played well, I think, is because I spent all of last night stopping and starting and doing detail work and all that really helped.  Act two was a different story - sloppy, missed lines, missed entrances, and slooooow.  However, not really anyone's fault since we hadn't run act two in over a week.  So, Saturday morning begins with the same detail work and cleanup on act two.

They had staff from the Chance there taking notes.  Now, call me crazy, but I find it just a teeny bit odd that anyone is taking notes three weeks before opening.  But, this happened at our first stumble through and the notes I received were pretty basic and nothing I wasn't aware of, along with some comments I simply didn't agree with.  We'll see what these are like.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #350 on: April 10, 2008, 11:45:08 PM »

I'd venture a guess right now and say that tonight's results were an eye-opener.

I know one thing: The one who went home is a far better singer than at least half the remaining contestants.  But when folks don't vote for you,  whatchagonnado?

If I had to guess, I'd say that he had no dedicated fan club (like David A. or Jason C.) and since he seemed "safe in the middle, folks overlooked him trying to save Carly.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #351 on: April 10, 2008, 11:51:32 PM »

I received were pretty basic and nothing I wasn't aware of, along with some comments I simply didn't agree with.  We'll see what these are like.

I'd love to be the fly on the wall when some Orange County expert tells you how to direct your show! Or better yet - how to rewrite it!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #352 on: April 11, 2008, 12:26:31 AM »

I checked out the IAMS website & found 5 varieties of dried cat food in orange bags ::)

Hairball
Original with tuna
Original with chicken
Original with lamb & rice
Original with ocean fish & rice

DR George, I hope she has a bag of food for you to find.  If not I hope you can reach her on her cell.  I fear you would have done that at the market if you could.

I did call Margo on her cell phone and left a message, but I was able to figure out what happened.  When I went to Fred Meyer on my lunch, I saw that  they have many types of Iams in orange bags.  Margo normally goes to Safeway and I went there this evening after work.  As it turns out, that particular Safeway only has one type of Iams in an orange bag!  I bought it and when she called me back and we were able to actually talk to each other, she confirmed that that specific Safeway only sells one type in an orange bag, which is why she told me to get the Iams in the orange bag.  So, all is well! :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #353 on: April 11, 2008, 12:33:40 AM »

Hey, only seven more posts (after this) and we're at Page 13. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #354 on: April 11, 2008, 12:35:16 AM »

One of the things that I bought (but haven't received yet) with my income tax refund is a DVR that can burn DVDs!  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]   Go Up