Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THEDA BARA ON MY MIND  (Read 29007 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:THEDA BARA ON MY MIND
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2008, 07:33:26 AM »

TV Reminders:

ELI STONE! (season finale; I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the nice ratings it garnered on Sunday night can carry over tonight, at least somewhat).

NBC has an all-new night of episodes with MY NAME IS EARL, 30 ROCK, THE OFFICE, SCRUBS, and ER.

SURVIVOR. (CSI and WITHOUT A TRACE a reruns tonight).

SMALLVILLE is new. SUPERNATURAL is a rerun.

ABC is rerunning the last couple of episodes of LOST leading to next week's return of the show at 10 p.m.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 07:33:54 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2008, 07:36:58 AM »

Page Three Scarecrow Dance!!!

FJL

« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2008, 07:37:10 AM »

singdaw - No, Randy Vicar wasn't in THEDA BARA AND THE FRONTIER RABBI, but Jeanine La Manna was.  Here's the Times review from 1993:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9F0CE2DB1F38F932A15752C0A965958260

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2008, 07:38:18 AM »

Yes, DR George, you are right that MIDNIGHT COWBOY was the first (and only X-rated) movie to ever win the Best Picture Oscar. A CLOCKWORK ORANGE was nominated but didn't win. Both movies were subsequently rated R in later releases.

Matt H.

« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2008, 07:42:02 AM »

Reading an article about ELI STONE in today's USA TODAY, it is one of three ABC shows on the bubble for renewal or cancellation (the other two are BOSTON LEGAL and WOMEN'S MURDER CLUB). It is the only one actually produced by ABC/Disney so that increases its chances of a second season. A nice rating tonight would also help its chances, and it is facing off against a WITHOUT A TRACE rerun but a new episode of ER. Unfortunately, it has a LOST rerun as a lead-in, and LOST is a notoriously low-rated show in reruns.

So tomorrow's ratings will reveal a lot about its chances.

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2008, 07:44:52 AM »

Hmm.....

I think that's a job I don't want!    :P

Nor do I, DR Singdaw!  I have been so fortunate, both last year in Tiffin and this year in Zanesville, to have had super LAG's.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 07:46:33 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Miss Karen

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2008, 07:54:23 AM »

To Die on Stage Tip Needed:

Do any of you theatre buffs have a suggestion on how a character who dies on stage  won't be seen breathing heavily after an intense scene that leaves the person breathing heavily? A yoga tip, a relaxation tip? Maybe a position they should fall into so it's not as easy to see the heavy breathing? We've already talked about the other two characters doing the magician thing by diverting attention to them and away from the body. The reason it's an issue is that we're doing this theatre-in-the-round so the audience will be up close and personal. This may be one of the things I get audience feedback about my thesis presentation: "We could see your dead person still beathing -- heavily!" ....

singdaw

« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2008, 07:54:32 AM »

A wag on a theare board posted this; I thought it was pretty funny -

Combining reality shows, in a show designed to cast Fiddler on the Roof:

MAKE ME A SUPER MOTEL

Miss Karen

« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2008, 07:58:12 AM »

Speaking of that silly thesis, I've got a lot to do today, so gotta scoot.

singdaw

« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2008, 07:59:45 AM »

Wow, DR FJL - I thought you were kidding around!  Interesting...

singdaw

« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2008, 08:00:16 AM »

DR Miss Karen - could you cover up the actor with a blanket?   ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2008, 08:08:42 AM »

And then this one's for DR Ronnie P:

Roto-Ruta

And for MissKaren:

A-Ruta-la!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2008, 08:09:38 AM »

DR Miss Karen - how 'bout having the actor fall into an area of the stage where the lights are not bright?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2008, 08:10:59 AM »

To Die on Stage Tip Needed:

Do any of you theatre buffs have a suggestion on how a character who dies on stage  won't be seen breathing heavily after an intense scene that leaves the person breathing heavily? A yoga tip, a relaxation tip? Maybe a position they should fall into so it's not as easy to see the heavy breathing? We've already talked about the other two characters doing the magician thing by diverting attention to them and away from the body. The reason it's an issue is that we're doing this theatre-in-the-round so the audience will be up close and personal. This may be one of the things I get audience feedback about my thesis presentation: "We could see your dead person still beathing -- heavily!" ....

You should discuss this with a seasoned lighting director, I think.  The actor needs to be in a key light when he dies...and then the light needs to go out while, perhaps, other light in the area where he died goes down a bit.  That will allow whoever is left, also in key lights, to draw the attention of the audience from the body which has, in effect, been removed from their view.

It's a psychological approach -- and probably won't be appropriate many times, because the entire scene may need to be specially set up for it to have maximum impact without it calling too much attention to itself.  Each person on stage would need a key light during the scene so that the extinction of one key light, and possibly bringing a specific set light at the scene of death down a notch or two, makes the magic work and allows the poor "dead" actor to breathe without detection.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 09:14:44 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2008, 08:13:10 AM »

Hmm.....

I think that's a job I don't want!    :P

Being an "arrangements goddess" shivers your timbers, so to speak?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2008, 08:14:43 AM »

Theda Bara on BK's mind....

....Veda Ann Borg on mine.

Jennifer

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2008, 08:18:30 AM »

On tv tonight for me:

SURVIVOR.

I will record the 2 episodes of LOST. So i can see what spoiler info they give re: the sun and jin episode.

I will record ELI STONE at 8pm (it is on here at 8pm since ER is on the same canadian station). I will watch this at 9pm since i am very excited to see the season finale.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2008, 08:19:43 AM »

The most weight I ever lost was about three or four years ago. I lost 41 pounds starting at 229 and getting back into the 180s.

Since then I've gained about 15 pounds of it back (blamed on my chocolate addiction). If I can keep myself under 200, I'm satisfied with my weight, but doing that IS a constant struggle. My father weighed almost 300 pounds at his heaviest, and if I let myself go as he did, I'd probably get close to that myself. So, I have to work hard at keeping my weight below 200.

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: April 17, 2008, 08:21:55 AM »

Re: last night's IDOL ELIMINATION

djfldj fljdflkjd fkljd l fldjfljd fljd fljdfl jdlfkj lkj lkj lkj lkjjklj klj lkjkljljljl; jl
I can't say that i really cared about the girl who left. But i was surprised. Her dialidol numbers had been up the last few weeks. I agree with DR MattH, I did not like how they put them in 3s and then changed them. The only reason i can think of that they did this is because everyone knew david cook was safe. So everyone assumed brooke and kristy were safe. And it sort of made it stunning when they had him switch. I was really glad brooke stayed though. I hope syesha goes next.
jldfjljd fkljdfkl jdfkljdflkjdfkljdfkljd flkdjfkljd flkjdfljadfljdlfk jdlfkjdlf

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #79 on: April 17, 2008, 08:22:50 AM »

In 1990, while I was in the Navy and in Naples, Italy, I was station manager of the Armed Forces Radio and Televsion Service affiliate there.

One day, a guy I had seen around the base came into the station to see if he could advertise his services as a personal trainer on TV and radio.  He was an Army reservist whose wife was active-duty Army at the NATO base.  It also turned out he was a special forces officer, and he had been certified for dietary/nutrition services as well as had experience as a personal trainer.  He had received all necessary base approval to work in the base gym.

It turns out several of us in the station signed up with him.  I went from 235 pounds to 189 pounds in two months, working on a 3-day-a-week Nautilus circuit at the base gym, which included stationary bicycle for 30 minutes at the end of each workout.  I modified my diet which was carb-based.  Lots of vegetables, lean white meats, pasta and potatoes, but no beef, oils, butters or sugars.  

That kind of diet works when combined with several days of intense working out, but not for every day use.

After that loss, Mike (personal trainer) moved me to free weights where the fun began (not).  I stabilized at 195 (which was ideal for me) and stayed there for many years.

And that's ALL I'm sayin'!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 08:24:32 AM by Ron Pulliam »

singdaw

« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2008, 08:23:11 AM »

Theda Bara on BK's mind....

....Veda Ann Borg on mine.

It's HUSSIES GALORE today at HainesHisWay!    :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #81 on: April 17, 2008, 08:26:02 AM »

It's been a slow(!) morning here at Chelsea studios...

Anyone wanna come in an audition for Damn Yankees?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #82 on: April 17, 2008, 08:26:32 AM »

Heading down now to get cleaned up for lunch out with friends.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2008, 08:27:36 AM »

;)

Have you ever heard of Chelsea-Rialto?

singdaw

« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2008, 08:28:38 AM »

TOD:

The most I've ever lost?  75 pounds, over a period of about a year and a half.  That was some years ago.  Mostly through walking and modifying my diet via a nutritionist - mainly cutting out white flour and sugar.  Haven't kept it all off over the years.  Need to get back to a stricter regimen, including going to the gym in the mornings which I've gotten away from lately.

I still walk Zach three to five miles per day, which is good, but it's not aerobic exercise.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2008, 08:28:43 AM »

RE: last night's BIG BROTHER

SPOILERS i guess.

jlkfjdlf jdklfj kldj flkjdfldfj kldfj dfkldj flkjd flkjdlfkjd flj djfd fkljd flkjd fkljd flk
I used to like sharon (but not really anymore). But that last hoh question was full of crap (Q:is there another pre-existing relationship in the ouse. A: true). Oh and the pre-existing relationship are the guinea pigs????
But the final hoh tie-breaker question was pretty easy (since 3 had stayed for 3 hours and 1 for 5 minutes). I can't believe how they all got it so wrong (unless nobody told them how long they stayed up).
I was not happy they screwed over nat. But glad that they screwed over sheila by making her break the tie. However i think the diary room coerced them to do this. Because tuesday they were keeping nat. And then after visiting the DR yesterday they flipped and wanted the tie-break idea.
jldfj ldj flkdjf lkdjfljd fkljd fljdfklj dlfjdlfjklfjd kljd fljdfkl jdlf jdfj ldfjljdl

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2008, 08:28:45 AM »

It's HUSSIES GALORE today at HainesHisWay!    :D

...he stated AUTHORITATIVELY!

;D

Ben

« Reply #87 on: April 17, 2008, 08:29:53 AM »

;)

Not unless you can guarantee me a role (and while I'm demanding, one for my significant other also)  ;)

singdaw

« Reply #88 on: April 17, 2008, 08:29:57 AM »

DR JoseSPiano - say "hi" to Sean and Jane!   :D

singdaw

« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2008, 08:31:48 AM »

...he stated AUTHORITATIVELY!

I simply don't know what you're talking about.    ;)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up