Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RIOT ACT  (Read 23593 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE RIOT ACT
« Reply #120 on: February 10, 2004, 12:15:30 PM »

Writing that still makes me laugh:

In 'Lover Come Back' - Rock Hudson wants to disguise himself as Linus, the scientist.  He stops at a small tailor shop.  He is shown several things then says:

ROCK:  These are nice, but don't you have something like those suits that were in style a few years ago?

LITTLE TAILOR:  Of course.  Blanche, bring out from the back the suit we made for Prince Ranier for the wedding. (ROCK gives him the look) Prince or no prince, he doesn't pick it up...he loses the suit.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #121 on: February 10, 2004, 12:17:08 PM »

I guess with the karma gone, we don't look at the post numbers like we did before.  

Welcome to our newest god!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: February 10, 2004, 12:30:22 PM »

Thanks to all for the welcome!   :D :) :D :) :D

With Maya E&T at another site (which isn't nearly as popular as this one any more dig dig), we may be a while before admitting any more Gods and Goddesses.  But then we've got four or five in a cluster!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: February 10, 2004, 12:30:45 PM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]
WELCOME, FELLOW DEITY, SWW.
[/size][/color][/move]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #124 on: February 10, 2004, 12:56:25 PM »

It goes well beyond Broadway shows.  It seems any performance of any sort is now instantly greeted with a standing ovation.  I've become quite accustomed to being "the jerk who won't stand up."

I remember years ago a Dear Abby question about this very thing.  The person asked something like, "When I see a show, do I have to stand if I feel the performers/performance don't deserve it, even though the rest of the audience does stand?"  And Dear Abby said that you should stand, but don't clap.  That's what I do.  

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]And WELCOME TO THE HEAVENS, S. WOODY!![/move]
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2004, 12:57:06 PM »

. BTW- Do other DRs find that they get good ideas, solutions to problems, etc.  while doing some activity (showering, walking, sleeping) that has nothing to do with the problem at hand?

Walking solves so many of my problems.  In my youth, it was running.  I use to bolt out of my house and run until I would collapse.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2004, 01:02:25 PM »

Getting back to the original TOD, I just found the following website, part of the Songwriter's Hall of Fame, which gives lots of interesting information.  For some reason, I've not learned much about Jule Styne and his works before, aside from knowing some of his songs and some of his shows.  I think he deserves more of my attention.

This is going to be fun!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

« Reply #127 on: February 10, 2004, 01:04:18 PM »

Der Brucer thank you for the history lesson.  

Panni I have heard & read about such scams, but never had such an experience.  Since the kids didn’t call for the police I think they were just playing a “practical joke.”  Where does that expression come from?  How can a joke be practical, especially a cruel one.  If a question is rhetorical, do you still put question mark at the end of the sentence? Glad you have a policewoman friend to tell this tale to.  

SWW I look forward to your early photos.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #128 on: February 10, 2004, 01:26:34 PM »

Belated hosannas to our newest HHW God, Dear Reader S. Woody White!!!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #129 on: February 10, 2004, 01:28:16 PM »

Sorry about not noticing the ascent to Goddom, DR S. Woody, but just as with the late unlamented karma, I usually don't pay attention to that side of the screen unless someone has put up a new picture. I seem to remember that most of us tooted our own horns about the ascent to Valhalla, often posting our god/pics for all to see. I certainly remember doing it for myself.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #130 on: February 10, 2004, 01:36:21 PM »

Which makes DR SWW the most modest of the HHW Gods.  Most admirable.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #131 on: February 10, 2004, 01:49:45 PM »

These are some of my favorite Jule Styne songs (not as many as my Sondheim list yesterday, but I love these, too):

Everything from GYPSY
Better Than a Dream
Call Me Savage/Witches' Brew
Don't Rain on My Parade
I Don't Want to Walk Without You, Baby
I Still Get Jealous
If You Hadn't But You Did (a.k.a. "If")
I'm Goin' Back
I'm in Pursuit of Happiness/You'll Never Get Away From Me
Just In Time
Mamie Is Mimi
Men (from Lorelei...very reminiscent of "If")
You Gotta Get/Have a Gimmick
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #132 on: February 10, 2004, 02:05:24 PM »

Three of my favorite Jule Styne songs, all of which have been mentioned, are:
"Long Before I Knew You"
"Make Someone Happy"
“Just in Time”

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #133 on: February 10, 2004, 02:27:58 PM »

There are Styne songs that run through my mind almost every day
The one that goes Sunshine Sunshine Ooh la-la
Private Schultz from Rockaway
How Will He Know
Pennyless Bums
Drop That Name
Distant Melody

but my favorites are

Ride on a Rainbow (yes, I know, it's really by Kern)
If You Hadn't But You Did
I Want To Be Seen With You
Wendy
Overture to Subways Are For Sleeping
The Usher from the Mezzanine
I've Heard That Song Before
Bye Bye Baby
Make Someone Happy
I Still Get Jealous
and, just because it mentions my nearest cross street
Every Street's a Boulevard In Old New York

I've referred to Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend as the greatest comedy song ever written, but nobody who's only familiar with its butchery in Moulin Rouge would have any idea why.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #134 on: February 10, 2004, 02:28:29 PM »

Glad you have a policewoman friend to tell this tale to.  

Here's something a little unsettling in terms of the world we live in...  I wasn't going to bother her with the tale unless it was necessary, but she happened to call today, so I told her the story. The only important thing I had to ask her was if there was any name/address information these kids could get from just my plate number - which is all the info they had. She said no -- unless they knew "a dirty cop" who would supply them with it. Blechh!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 02:29:26 PM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: February 10, 2004, 02:37:46 PM »

Which makes DR SWW the most modest of the HHW Gods.  Most admirable.
Well, except that I was being deliberately modest, which is a way of showing off in itself.   ;D

Considering how long BK and I have been associated, it is a surprise that it's taken me as long as this to reach Godhood.  We were both contributers to Sondheim.com, and I made lots of purchases from a once-respectable CD site.  And there was the time we met, but didn't realize we were meeting, in NYC.  And I've been a regular here at HHW since just about the beginning.

Good things come to those who wait!   8)

Robin

« Reply #136 on: February 10, 2004, 02:39:16 PM »

The third singing love of Picard is not a musical theatre person, although she did have, as I said, a hit single of a Rogers and Hart song--with a group not normally associated with that sort of music.  Hint:  the key word is Paris.

I believe you're referring to Michelle Phillips, who appeared in "We'll Always Have Paris", a first-season episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation.  She was one of The Mamas and the Papas, I believe, but I don't know what song you are referring to, since I know next-to-nothing about sixties pop music.  

I do know, however, that my favorite Jule Styne song is "Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend".
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #137 on: February 10, 2004, 02:40:11 PM »

I hadn't posted any Jule Styne songs, because I didn't think I was that familiar with him, but Noel reminded me I'm more familiar with him than I thought I was, when he posted Every Street's A Boulevard in Old New York.

Two of my favourite Styne songs comes from HAZEL FLAGG...A Little More Heart and Everybody Wants to Take A Bow.  And whatever happened to Benay Venuta anyway?

Panni

« Reply #138 on: February 10, 2004, 02:40:20 PM »

Here's a lovely bit from Jule Styne. He's talking about his father:

One day he asked me. "How come melody writers are called composers, and a lyric writer is never called a poet?"
"Well..." I said.
He said, "I'll tell you what a composer is -- Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. Better you should be a songwriter."

Jane

« Reply #139 on: February 10, 2004, 02:41:43 PM »

Panni & SWW write so eloquently and we have been so cheerful today I hesitate, yet I did say I would comment on last nights moving posts.  

Experience can help a person cope with the flood that washes over them, the understanding, as you said SWW, there will be a morning.  And that knowledge is the beginning of things improving.  When I was young my mother taught me well how to deal with depression, take pills and lock yourself in the bathroom forcing your children to break in & save your life.  I bet Bruce hadn’t a clue, way back when, I had my method of demise all figured out.  If I think about the times I came close, I can remember, but can’t feel any of the pain I was experiencing at the moment.  

Robin

« Reply #140 on: February 10, 2004, 02:42:02 PM »

FS Pogue - RE your main rant - This Hugarian-Canadian-American Jewess couldn't agree with you more.

I once heard a radical Lesbian feminist refer to herself as a "Gyno-American".  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Panni

« Reply #141 on: February 10, 2004, 02:56:37 PM »

When I was young my mother taught me well how to deal with depression, take pills and lock yourself in the bathroom forcing your children to break in & save your life.  I bet Bruce hadn’t a clue, way back when, I had my method of demise all figured out.  If I think about the times I came close, I can remember, but can’t feel any of the pain I was experiencing at the moment.  

...Which once again proves how little we know of the real lives of people around us. When I look at your old photo, Jane, so pretty, open and cheerful, a young woman without a care in the world --- it's hard to believe the turmoil you must have been going through.
Thank you for writing about it. And I'm so pleased for you that in the life you're living now, you seem to have become the person we see in the photo.

Panni

« Reply #142 on: February 10, 2004, 03:02:29 PM »

...What you wrote, Jane, also reminds me how very difficult it is to be a child. We have this fairy tale notion of the lives of children. Hah! Whether it's you trying to save your mother, or Benjamin/Bruce being hit with hangers, or any one of the hundreds of stories just the people on this little site could tell, it is so HARD being helpless at the hands of adults who do not always "know better." Who do not always love well or love enough. The fact that most of us make it through those years and become functioning members of the human race is in itself a minor (sometimes major) miracle.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 03:03:28 PM by Panni »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: February 10, 2004, 03:02:45 PM »

Lovely Styne choices.  I must say I consider the Overture to Subways are for Sleeping my second favorite overture of all time, right up there with Gypsy.

Back from my luncheon meeting.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #144 on: February 10, 2004, 03:03:31 PM »

I remember those bad old days, Jane. Yup, knew you when... Marriage, motherhood, mavenhood suit you so well. How many of us would trade one minute of what we have now for a whole year of youth? Not I.
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #145 on: February 10, 2004, 03:06:50 PM »

Oh, and what a lovely day I've had here at the Bristol Riverside Theater. I just finished a swell photo shoot - got some terrific shots. Also got an offer to come work here next year as Development Director... oy. That's like grant writing and fundraising and outreach stuff. I'm good at it, but SO GRUELING. However, it would mean that i could try out my new stuff here, in this very artistically satisfying atmosphere. Gonna think about it.
PennyO

Panni

« Reply #146 on: February 10, 2004, 03:08:21 PM »

One more thing and I'll shut up. All of the above is why I love love love writing about kids. I've written quite a number of screenplays with kids as protagonists and I relish "becoming" a child as I write. I relish being able to live inside their skins and being able to save them or guide them or at least enlighten the audience about what they're going through. It's a way of doing it again -- and this time doing it right - having the power to do it right. Having the power that is not ours when we really are children.

Panni

« Reply #147 on: February 10, 2004, 03:09:46 PM »

Congratulations, PennyO!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #148 on: February 10, 2004, 03:12:41 PM »

It used to drive me CRAZY (not a long drive, more like a jaunt) when I would be researching FF in various tomes and the only film Farmer there was Mimsy.  Mimsy, Mimsy, Mimsy.  Let's start a rumor that SHE's the one with the lobotomy!   :o
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #149 on: February 10, 2004, 03:26:47 PM »

You know, I truly love all of the posts from people here at HHW (that's Haines His Way in internet lingo), but I must say that I honestly look forward to the posts from Panni and from Jane.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up