Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE RIOT ACT  (Read 23586 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE RIOT ACT
« Reply #150 on: February 10, 2004, 03:49:15 PM »

As Jack Benny would say:

WELL!!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #151 on: February 10, 2004, 03:51:34 PM »

I just wasted 90 minutes and $15 trying to register a domain name and start up a website.

Avoid SPROCKETHOST at all costs!

Tomovoz

« Reply #152 on: February 10, 2004, 03:56:04 PM »

Avoid SPROCKETHOST at all costs!
At my age I've tried a few things but I never been quite game enough to go there!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #153 on: February 10, 2004, 03:59:57 PM »

Smart man

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #154 on: February 10, 2004, 04:26:52 PM »

Special notice to DR Jose: Tomorrow Alton Brown is making FUDGE!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #155 on: February 10, 2004, 04:27:53 PM »

Panni I envy the difference you can make with your writing.  On a small scale I know I have made a difference for the better, but you can do it on such a grand scale.

Penny weren’t those the days!  :P  You made a difference in my life back then because you were one of the first people I could share some of the “stuff” with.  Nice job offer.  Would the job begin in January?  It’s seems such a long way off.

Thank you TCB, that means a lot to me. :)

Jed

« Reply #156 on: February 10, 2004, 04:43:19 PM »

I remember years ago a Dear Abby question about this very thing.  The person asked something like, "When I see a show, do I have to stand if I feel the performers/performance don't deserve it, even though the rest of the audience does stand?"  And Dear Abby said that you should stand, but don't clap.  That's what I do.

Interesting, hadn't heard this one before.  I think I'll just continue to keep to my seat.  I can handle the odd glances (and if I've found something really bad, I kinda enjoy the glances :)).  Also, a few friends of mine have learned that I won't join a standing ovation for a less-than-impressive performance, so it makes them feel more comfortable sitting through one if they so choose, knowing they won't be the only one.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 04:44:10 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #157 on: February 10, 2004, 04:54:48 PM »

The last performer I remember standing for was Barbara Cook.  It always seems strange to see those standing ovations at Oscar nights etc. I guess it's supposed to be in recognition for a lifetime's work but is more often seems that people stand because the person on stage is still alive. (I don't mean those people who are the recipients of a well deserved lifetime achievement award just some presenters!). Colin and I stayed seated in the front row of a performance of "Barnum" here in OZ. The lead was "Milking" his audience for every possible hand clap etc.  Said "star" (who is to star in the Oz production of "The Producers") made very sure his "support" cast were always in the background with audio levels too.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #158 on: February 10, 2004, 04:56:22 PM »

Have I lost a few hours today? It seems way too early for Washingtonian hour.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #159 on: February 10, 2004, 04:59:11 PM »

You know, I truly love all of the posts from people here at HHW (that's Haines His Way in internet lingo), but I must say that I honestly look forward to the posts from Panni and from Jane.

Why thank you, cousin TCB!

Jane

« Reply #160 on: February 10, 2004, 05:05:02 PM »

...Which once again proves how little we know of the real lives of people around us. When I look at your old photo, Jane, so pretty, open and cheerful, a young woman without a care in the world --- it's hard to believe the turmoil you must have been going through.
Thank you for writing about it. And I'm so pleased for you that in the life you're living now, you seem to have become the person we see in the photo.

At the moment the photo was taken I was all of that.  Those days at the beach with Keith were the happiest days of my teen years.

Jed

« Reply #161 on: February 10, 2004, 05:07:14 PM »

The lead was "Milking" his audience for every possible hand clap etc.  

Ahh yes, we have one of those in our summer stock company.  Just about anyone who has acted with him in his 4 seasons with us knows exactly what is meant by "doing the Baldwin" at curtain call.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #162 on: February 10, 2004, 05:38:45 PM »

Good evening!

-I'm back home in Richmond.  Good flights.  Good class.  Good dinner.  And a Slurpee too!!  And now "American Idol"... and reading today's posts on HHW, of course...

-And once I read today's posts... I'll be back...
Make Your Own Luck.

Danise

« Reply #163 on: February 10, 2004, 05:48:59 PM »

Evening all!  Sorry I disappeared last night.  Had a phone call and was tired after.

Jane, I know how you feel about getting mail addressed to your Father.  My dad passed back in 1979.  Every year, with out fail, no matter how many times I have tried to tell them, he gets a calendar from a local car dealership that my folks did business with.  Sometimes it makes me smile, others times it hurts.  

My sick sense of humor begs the question that if your Father wasn’t excused, just WHAT exactly were they going to do to him?  

I’m sorry to hear about Jason Raize. Sigh.   Suicide.  Been there.  Almost did that.  Know EXACTLY how you felt Panni & S. Woody White.  Enough said.

Ok, Jose.  Remember, NO MORE PANCAKES FOR YOU, MY LAD!!!

Congrats, SwishySarah!  And the winner for best Morgan LeFaye goes to________?  Guess who??

Thanks, TCB.  I’m going to try to keep it going!

Panni–How awful!  I’ve never had anything like that happen to me before and I hope I never do! Ugh!  What horrible, nasty people.

Jennifer: I let the dogs take me for a walk every night when I get home so I guess you could say that I do exercise

Bruce–Put me in the pre order line as well!  Don’t worry about having a bad day and taking it out on others.  I am going to tell you what my Dad used to say and you can bleep me if you want.  Just remember, it’s much better to be pissed off than pissed on!

Congrats to the newest GOD!  You all are so far above me but then I resemble that remark because at five foot,  almost every one is!

I’d better post this before I lose it and THAT would greatly tick me off.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #164 on: February 10, 2004, 05:51:12 PM »

A super, humongous, gigantic, aprreciative, and happy thank you to everyone who posted their congratulations yesterday! It was definitely a great night for me. I was actually a little worried about school today, because there's always the person who is upset, and takes it out on you. I got all of my excited energy out, and went to school relaxed. But everyone was OK with it! People I didn't even know were running up to me and congratulating me, and the people I was worried about the most were supportive and happy. It just reminds me how lucky I am so have such great friends!

For the singers on the board, I had an hour and a half long support lesson today. Now, having been mimicking the radio and TV my whole life, and being in mediocre choirs, support was never even introduced to me until this summer at the Shenandoah University camp. From my very first voice lesson EVER in November, I've been working on it. I have a really hard time with it, and still hadn't ever "reached support". Well today, after TRYING and TRYING to teach us, my choir teacher was about ready to give up. Then, another student began singing while bend over touching her toes. When she stood back up, she realized that she had started supporting without knowing it, and was now "there". It was incredibly weird and amazing at the same time...to have finally arrived at what I needed to be doing during months of struggle felt fabulous :).

We're having our first cast read-through on Thursday, due to previously scheduled conflicts. I strongly dislike snow. Snow days are fun, but when you're stuck at home and you COULD be rehearsing, it REALLY makes me mad.

And Panni, those kids (were they kids? I read the late posts a while ago and can't remember...) were cruel and obnoxious. If they were teenagers, I'm sorry to say I don't have trouble believing it. Some kids these days have absolutely no respect for anyone, whether they be parents, teachers, or strangers. And if it was a practical joke, then I don't know what to think. It's disgusting. I'm sorry for the emotional distress they caused you.

SWW, Congrats on your ascention!!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 05:55:15 PM by SwishySarah »
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #165 on: February 10, 2004, 06:12:35 PM »

DR JED did you read the Langley Schools Project site?

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #166 on: February 10, 2004, 06:14:29 PM »

Penny weren’t those the days!  :P  You made a difference in my life back then because you were one of the first people I could share some of the “stuff” with.  Nice job offer.  Would the job begin in January?  It’s seems such a long way off.

Not such a long way off - I have performances in August of yet-more Jewish Thighs material (beginning to feel like You Know Who in his Mark Twain show...) - this time it's the three Gilbert and Sullivan chapters, for a show I'm calling "Adventures on the High C's" about my first encounter with HMS Pinafore. Just got the confirmation today from the Buxton, England, International Gilbert and Sullivan Festival. Probably I could start working on the grant writing from your house in June, or from LA in September. Ah, the wonderfulness of Internet and Cellfone!!!

Give Echo a squeeze for me! Oh, and one to Keith, too. And the kitty.
PennyO

Jed

« Reply #167 on: February 10, 2004, 06:16:04 PM »

Ahh yes, forgot to mention that, JRand.  I did read the site.  Interesting stuff.  I'd heard some about it in a music education class a couple years back, but have never heard any of the recordings.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: February 10, 2004, 06:16:40 PM »

Pretty kewl stuff

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #169 on: February 10, 2004, 06:36:55 PM »

Question:  Can a homosexual also be a metrosexual?  This is an urgent question.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: February 10, 2004, 06:42:01 PM »

Metro, hetro, what care I?  I'm about to watch The Triplets of Belleville i

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #171 on: February 10, 2004, 06:42:37 PM »

What is that little "i" doing there?  So sad to be all alone in the world, isn't it?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #172 on: February 10, 2004, 06:46:27 PM »

Metro, hetro, what care I?  I'm about to watch The Triplets of Belleville.

I think it's safe to say that Dear Reader William E. Lurie, Dear Reader Robin Anderson and Dear Reader Me (the HHW Triplets boosters) are all looking forward to your comments on this animated motion picture entertainment.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2004, 06:50:29 PM »

What - is a near and dear female acquaintance dating Ryan Seacrest?

der Brucer ("homosexuals" can generally be any damn thing they put their mind to - schucks, people still think Cary Grant was straight!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Tomovoz

« Reply #174 on: February 10, 2004, 06:50:37 PM »

I watched my DVD of "Triplets" last night. What wonderful animation work and a delightfully quirky story. Thanks to everyone at HHW who recommended it. The "extras" are interesting too.
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #175 on: February 10, 2004, 07:15:47 PM »

Good Evening!  Again!

Very nice posts today!  -Well, there are always nice posts here on HHW - the most popular place on the internet.

DR SWW - Thanks for the Alton Brown Alert!  I think the only time I ever made fudge - or at least attempted to make fudge - was when I was just getting into cooking when I was in my early teens - maybe even my tens and elevens.  My mom had a candy cookbook, and all those descriptions of fondant, penuche, soft ball stage, hard crack stage, divinity, etc. always intrigued me.  I do remember using the "water" test for the "soft ball" to the "hard crack" stages - and slightly burning my finger tips when trying to pick up the glob of "molten" sugar syrup out of the glass of ice water.  But fudge has always intrigued me... and maybe after tomorrow night's show... However...

DR Danise - I'm planning on getting up early tomorrow - well, early for me - and heading to the supermarket where I will fill my shopping cart with many "approved" foods.  As for the "unapproved" foods, well, I'm finishing off some of them now. ;)  -The Cashew Crunch from Dinstuhl's in Memphis was particularly good - cashew brittle coated with coconut!

-So, I may just make the fudge, but not eat it - which I actually think I can do.  Heck, I do it all the time when I make cookies - which I will definitely be doing this week!  -I have to use up the eight bags of chocolate chips (various types from milk to dark to double chocolate), the three pounds of bittersweet chocolate, and the three bags of toffee chips that I have in my cupboard.  -Oh, and I do have flour, sugar, cake flour, cocoa (Dutched and non-Dutched), confectioner's sugar, vanilla extract, chocolate extract(!), oatmeal, peanut butter, peanuts, walnuts, pecans, dried cherries and other dry goods to mix together into various goodies to be distributed accordingly.  -Sorry, DR Tomovoz - I don't think US Customs - nor Australian Customs - would let me send cookies Down Under.  But I do plan on making some trips to the post office this week, so... Take a number!  Next!?!?

As for tonight's "American Idol" - Not bad, not great.  No real stinker tonight.  However, I thought Marque Lynch did not sound or perform well at all - the "feel" for "The Wind Beneath My Wings" was just off - as was his back-phrasing - I thought he was just plain off the beat.  And that performance of "Crazy" was, as a coach I work with would say, "vocal masturbation".  Too much is too much.

Oh, the TOD-
As DR Tomovoz mentioned, Judy Kuhn's Jule Styne album - produced by You-Know-Who - contains many of my favorites.  Particular songs off the top of my head:
"Long Before I Knew You" - I like Laurie Beechman's rendition/arrangment.
"I Fall In Love Too Easily" - Chet Baker's version is the one that I hear in my head from time to time - as well as coming from my CD player.
"Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry" - I first came across this song in an issue of "Sheet Music Magazine" - kind of love at first sight - and play.
"Who Are You Now?" - What a great melody!
-Oh, and I do like Judy Kuhn's renditions of all of the above too!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2004, 07:17:30 PM »

Jane,
My sick sense of humor begs the question that if your Father wasn’t excused, just WHAT exactly were they going to do to him?  

I am going to tell you what my Dad used to say and you can bleep me if you want.  Just remember, it’s much better to be pissed off than pissed on!

LOL I think your father gifted you his sense of humor. :)

Andrea

« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2004, 07:43:23 PM »

No... cause a homosexual is who a metrosexual wants to look, act, dress and talk like.

Jennifer

« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2004, 08:11:04 PM »

Don't read this if you live on the West Coast and haven't seen tonight's American Idol yet.

I enjoyed American Idol, although none of the people I liked were in this group of 8.

I think Fantasia impressed me the most.  I think based on the judges remarks she will definitely be one of the two making it through to the next round.

It's really tough with only 2 out of 8 going on. I find that crazy. Even Clay Aiken (probably the most popular Idol ever wasn't one of the top 2 in his section).

Sometimes it's difficult to guess who the public will vote through. I can recall from past years when totally TERRIBLE performers got through. But I would definitely say Fantasia and maybe the 16 yr old or the black woman with the bushy hair (jennifer).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2004, 08:21:34 PM »

Quote from: Jay on Today at 06:36:55pm

Quote from: Andrea on Today at 07:43:23pm
No... cause a homosexual is who a metrosexual wants to look, act, dress and talk like.

Which, of course, means that a metrosexual wants to look, act, dress, and talk like what he thinks a homosexual looks, acts, dresses, and talks like.  Which, of course, is not like a lot of us LADT at all.  (I think of myself as a bear.  You might have to look that up, but look at der Brucer's pic, which pretty much sums it up.  Yup, he's a bear, too.)

Personally, I like the explanation for the whole metrosexual thing that was given on South Park: It's all a cover for the invasion of the "Crab People!  Crab People!"

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up