Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ENJOYABLE WEEK  (Read 79197 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE ENJOYABLE WEEK
« Reply #300 on: May 07, 2008, 07:09:39 PM »

'night

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #301 on: May 07, 2008, 07:43:51 PM »

Singdaw - oh, yeah, that line.  Not adding it to the official script - it's really a kind of line that only Mark Rothman could say.  When the voiceulator translates one of the mark's thoughts as "Hmmm, did I set my TIVO to record Deal Or No Deal," the Brain says the original line, "This is boggling my mind" and then adds, "What's TIVO?  Do I need that?"  It got a huge laugh at the preview, but has sort of died since - I'll probably cut it if it continues not to work.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #302 on: May 07, 2008, 07:44:30 PM »

I'm a little taken aback I must say, at the fact that there's no one in the jernt at seven-thirty.  Are we really WUSSBURGERING that early now?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #303 on: May 07, 2008, 07:44:58 PM »

I feel there could be a bitch-slapping marathon coming up all too soon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #304 on: May 07, 2008, 07:45:13 PM »

Well, back to the motion picture on DVD.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #305 on: May 07, 2008, 07:45:23 PM »

Good Evening!

It sure is nice(???) having an "extra" three hours added to my day today.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #306 on: May 07, 2008, 07:46:28 PM »

DR Jane - You're welcome (re: the Playbill.com discount code).

As for The Pantry, well... I think I already have a few other places I want to check out in that part of town, so... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #307 on: May 07, 2008, 07:50:20 PM »

The Goldstein girls came over, and we were looking at caterpillars and legumes.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #308 on: May 07, 2008, 07:54:06 PM »

In other news...

I just decided to walk around for a bit just to reacquaint myself with the area.  It's amazing how much has not changed since I was last here four years ago.  On the plus side, it's nice to see some of the familiar places still in place.  On the minus side, a lot of the building in this neighborhood look like they did four years ago - and probably haven't been cleaned/painted/refurbished since then.  ???

In any case...

I walked over to Vermont to check out the cluster of restaurants over there.  House of Pies, Capriccio, Fred 62, etc., etc.  I was going to dine at Fred 62, but decided I didn't want such a big - and most likely greasy - dinner, so I hopped into a little Japanese place called Mako.  Very small, very funky, very bare bones.  But the prices were cheap - most of the combos were around $5.00. I tried their tempura (shrimp and vegetables) and squid teriyaki combo.  Very good, and the whole meal was prepared just a few feet in front of me.  I would say I would go back there for another meal while I'm in town, but I believe I have some other places to check off my list.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #309 on: May 07, 2008, 07:59:26 PM »

On the walk back, I stopped into Alcove to see what treats they had in their dessert case.  Well, the selection was a bit overwhelming, so I just asked the guy at the register what kind of cake I should have tonight.  Chocolate, or no chocolate?.  Chocolate!  So, he cut me off a very generous slice of their Chocolate Truffle Cake...

...And I just had about five bites of it - well, maybe six or seven - and I shall have to save the rest for later.  Very good, but very, very, very rich.

*I would have gotten a slice of their Blue(!) Velvet Cake, but they had just sold the last slice as I was walking in.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #310 on: May 07, 2008, 08:02:14 PM »

...Of course, as soon as walk out of Alcove, I notice a new-ish storefront across the street: Hollywood Gelato.

Well, I did stop in, but I did not get a cup to go.  -However, I did sample their Fig gelato - YUM!  Next time...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #311 on: May 07, 2008, 08:05:48 PM »

OH!  Speak of the devil - well, at least the neighborhood... Here's an article from the New York Times about the 'hood I'm staying in... And it even mentions a couple of the places I just mentioned.  ;)

No Wheels? No Problem
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #312 on: May 07, 2008, 08:08:16 PM »

Heaven only knows what they'll charge.

Hmm... I may just have to set foot in Colony to see what they end pricing it at.  *The last time I checked on a single-disc, currently available title, they had it listed at $29.99(!!!!??!!!??!!!).  I'm guessing "EP" will go for $34.99.

*Everytime I see people going in there, I always want to tell them, "Save your money!!  Walk down Broadway a couple more blocks and go to Virgin!!!!"
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #313 on: May 07, 2008, 08:12:46 PM »

An interesting night of choices to watch. I began by watching SCARY MOVIE 4 on HD-DVD.

I had to review the first SCARY MOVIE (on Blu-ray) several months ago, and I saw SCARY MOVIE 4 on HBO-HD (or one of the pay cable channels) several months ago, too. Silly, stupid, absurd, bad, but I have to admit I did laugh at some of the Tom Cruise take-offs (Craig Bierko plays Tom Cruise - called Tom Ryan in the movie). Of course, he's about 8 inches taller than Mr. Cruise in real life.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #314 on: May 07, 2008, 08:14:14 PM »

The movie looked very good, super in fact, on HD-DVD.

Then I watched the blooper reel on the film. Pretty funny.

Matt H.

« Reply #315 on: May 07, 2008, 08:15:34 PM »

I had about an hour, so I put in SUMMER STOCK (which I haven't watched since I got it in that musical box a year or so ago). It's a very nice transfer with solid color. I didn't have time to finish it, of course, but I will at some point in the next day or two.

Matt H.

« Reply #316 on: May 07, 2008, 08:16:01 PM »

I flipped over to see who went home on IDOL. Not a surprise and totally warranted by last night's performance.

Matt H.

« Reply #317 on: May 07, 2008, 08:17:07 PM »

I ended the evening with tonight's LAW & ORDER. A very interesting episode with Rubirosa having to defend the client rather than second chairing with the D.A. Good case with some neat surprises.

Matt H.

« Reply #318 on: May 07, 2008, 08:18:38 PM »

Tomorrow, I'll be reviewing the HD-DVD of AUGUST RUSH. This will be my first (and likely my last) official HD-DVD review. The film is 113 minutes long and there seems to be only one bonus feature so I should be able to do it tomorrow even with the deluge of TV programs which appear on Thursday.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #319 on: May 07, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »

I'm back from CAMELOT, which was mediocre and not very classy; Moss Hart was a classy director, and the show has elegance. I remember seeing the National Company with Arthur Treacher as Pellinore whenI was in high school, and the show was beautiful and very elegant. Lonny Price gave one of the best performances I ever saw in MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG, but he's not a tasteful director and the show is too busily directed.  Scenes that should be slow fly by too fast, and I don't know if the laughs land because of the comedy timing of the actors or the director. I suspect the former.

I think the dancers prance way too much, that someone should have checked out how well the wonderful actor Gabriel Byrne could sing or speak rhythmically (it's painful), and that the best performance is Mr Gunn's who acts the role with a wonderful French accent and sings magnificently. I also loved Fran Drescher, who should have been given all of "The Persuasion" and not tonight's cut down version, Stacy Keach, and Christopher Lloyd. Marc Kudisch, Will Swenson, and Chris Sieber were wonderful and deserved a second act "Fie On Goodness" and Bobby Steggert in a frighteningly misdirected choice played Mordred as a pissy, prissy flaming queen who thought she was playing the first scene of MAME. God, he was awful, and I've seen him be wonderful.

As for Marin Mazzie, I loved her in RAGTIME and KISS ME, KATE and I thought she was a good choice for the role of Guenevere. Tonight  thought she wasn't patrician enough. She was less River Avon and more Avon Lady.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #320 on: May 07, 2008, 08:22:04 PM »

Hmm... Just checking out the menu and other info about The Pantry... Maybe I'll go there for breakfast. ;)

-Oh!  Apparently the secret to their "addictive" coleslaw: horseradish.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #321 on: May 07, 2008, 08:24:37 PM »

DR elmore - What?!?!? No "Fie on Goodness"?!?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #322 on: May 07, 2008, 08:27:24 PM »

I flipped over to see who went home on IDOL. Not a surprise and totally warranted by last night's performance.

But "Idol" hasn't come on yet... Oh, nevermind... That's right, I'm not on the Left Coast. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #323 on: May 07, 2008, 08:27:50 PM »

I should also add that this was the first performance and by the end of the week, it may be wonderful. I really don't think it's ready for taping at the moment, but tomorrow night's the big PBS moment. Much as I was disappointed, I wish them well.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #324 on: May 07, 2008, 08:30:49 PM »

DR elmore - What?!?!? No "Fie on Goodness"?!?!?!?

There were so many stupid choices on display, but this was one of the biggest: Sieber, Swenson, and Kudisch are wonderful in "Take Me To The Fair" and they should have got a second act number with the men's chorus.

I cannot believe I saw a magnificent MUSIC MAN two weeks ago that made this look like "Fanny's First Play!"

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #325 on: May 07, 2008, 08:31:41 PM »

I should also add that this was the first performance and by the end of the week, it may be wonderful. I really don't think it's ready for taping at the moment, but tomorrow night's the big PBS moment. Much as I was disappointed, I wish them well.

I was actually surprised when they announced that they would only get one full run-through/performance under their belts before being broadcast/taped.  -Were they "blocking" for the cameras tonight?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #326 on: May 07, 2008, 08:37:26 PM »

...And I keep hoping that they'll broadcast - or at least record - the upcoming Show Boat concert at Carnegie Hall.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #327 on: May 07, 2008, 08:46:56 PM »

I was actually surprised when they announced that they would only get one full run-through/performance under their belts before being broadcast/taped.  -Were they "blocking" for the cameras tonight?

Yep, there was a camera onstage, and I sat next to one in the first tier.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #328 on: May 07, 2008, 08:47:57 PM »

Jose, if you go there for breakfast (and their breakfasts are HUGE), save room to try the coleslaw.  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #329 on: May 07, 2008, 08:48:25 PM »

...And I keep hoping that they'll broadcast - or at least record - the upcoming Show Boat concert at Carnegie Hall.

Nathan Gunn just went from being an opera hunk to a musical theatre queen's dream tonight. I wonder if anyone's asked his management about replacing Paulo Szot in SOUTH PACIFIC?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up