Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: AND QUIET FLOWS THE DON  (Read 73697 times)

singdaw

Re:AND QUIET FLOWS THE DON
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 05:55:55 AM »

I have gotten the "too many connections" message at various times throughout this morning, also...

singdaw

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 05:59:58 AM »

And here, for your edification, is the RIVER DON itself! :D
Please note how quietly it flows.

singdaw

« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 06:18:29 AM »

***SEMINAR VIBES***[/size][/color]
to DR Ginny!![/size][/color]

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 06:38:54 AM »

And the word of the day is: MOIETY!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  TWO BY TWO

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 07:01:34 AM »

Tonight on tv for me:

The 2nd to last episode of SURVIVOR. After last week's fantastic episode i just can't wait!

UGLY BETTY

LOST

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2008, 07:03:20 AM »

I cannot believe the news about GLORY DAYS closing on Broadway after only 1 show (and previews). I didn't realize that happened anymore.

Tonight on PBS, Live at Licoln Center Camelot.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2008, 07:34:56 AM »

Good morning!

It had rained by the time I got up this morning (8:30, very late for me), and it's still overcast. Don't know how much more rain we'll see.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2008, 07:41:29 AM »

bk, unless you got an alternate region DVD of SWEENEY TODD, it's not a Warners release, at least not in region 1.

And though I suspect it will eventually come out on Blu-ray, it was not among the intial Paramount-Dreamworks announcements that came out last week. (CLOVERFIELD and THERE WILL BE BLOOD were, both films released on sDVD in the same month as SWEENEY.)

Sometimes an sDVD transfer is just an sDVD transfer. Yes, I noticed problems with the encoding, too, but no more serious than in many other sDVD releases I've been watching with greater scrutiny for the last year and a half. I'm not much for conspiracy theories.

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2008, 07:43:54 AM »

TV Reminders:

ABC's terrific line-up: UGLY BETTY, GREY'S ANATOMY, LOST.

NBC's excellent line-up: MY NAME IS EARL, SCRUBS, THE OFFICE, 30 ROCK (season finale), ER.

CBS' very good line-up: SURVIVOR, CSI, WITHOUT A TRACE.

CW's very entertaining line-up: SMALLVILLE, SUPERNATURAL.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2008, 07:47:31 AM »

TOD:

I'd get Rob Marshall to remake A CHORUS LINE. He modified Fosse's choreography successfully enough in CHICAGO, and I think he could do the same for Michael Bennett's for A CHORUS LINE on screen. Lord knows, anything would be better than that mess that Jeffrey Hornaday contributed to Attenborough's inept version of the show.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2008, 07:47:48 AM »

Here is Albert Einstein.  But if you back away from your computer by about 10 feet, it's Marilyn Monroe!

Well I for one never saw them together.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2008, 07:52:13 AM »

Today I'll be watching the HD-DVD of AUGUST RUSH. I know next to nothing about the film, but I see the cast on the cover and that makes it seem appealing.

If I can get to it, I'd like to watch last night's CSI: NY at some point today. They've started a story arc to wind up the half-season long "taxi cab killer" scenario which I'll be glad to see gone. All the CSI shows now have taken to these multiple episode story arcs instead of close-ended mysteries in each episode. May make it more interesting for the writers, but there are enough serialized shows on TV. I'd like for some to stay with their original formats.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 07:54:02 AM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2008, 08:03:36 AM »

We're doing an early lunch today, so I need to head down and get cleaned up.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #43 on: May 08, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm still in Los Angeles/Los Feliz! :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: May 08, 2008, 08:06:40 AM »

...And I'm wondering where and what I'll be having for breakfast today. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #45 on: May 08, 2008, 08:07:44 AM »

DR elmore - As for the lack of Camelot postings on the chat boards... I have a feeling the NY Phil pricing may have something to do with that.
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #46 on: May 08, 2008, 08:15:09 AM »

It's official:  WHOOPI to host the Tonys.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #47 on: May 08, 2008, 08:16:15 AM »

Here is Albert Einstein.  But if you back away from your computer by about 10 feet, it's Marilyn Monroe!

And who do you see when you back 10 feet away from your mirror?

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 08:19:28 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2008, 08:20:36 AM »

Dear BK -

Take DR Jose to a Claim Jumper.  Cheesecake Factories are everywhere.  Claim Jumpers are only located on the West Coast, plus Colorado and Illinois for some reason.  A more unique experience.

Get him a slice of their Chocolate Motherlode Cake (according to their website, a "Super Moist Slice of our Six-Layer Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Chips, Fresh Walnuts and Chocolate Fudge Frosting"), and take a stopwatch.  I want to know how long it takes Jose to finish a slice.  And he will, if I know our DR Jose, he will!

;D

Hmm...  Although, I think I'm more drawn to their Mud Pies.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: May 08, 2008, 08:20:44 AM »

I have gotten the "too many connections" message at various times throughout this morning, also...

And it's never once given you a moment's pause!    ;D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: May 08, 2008, 08:22:38 AM »

I cannot believe the news about GLORY DAYS closing on Broadway after only 1 show (and previews). I didn't realize that happened anymore.

Tonight on PBS, Live at Licoln Center Camelot.

Oy!  I'm already booked solid recording other shows I watch on Thursdays, plus I'm watching the shows I can't record.

I guess I'm going to have to miss it!   :(

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: May 08, 2008, 08:23:45 AM »

Really?  Jose and I are the ONLY two people logged on right now?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2008, 08:24:27 AM »

G'Day, Jose!

I know you're not in Australia, but it's closer than you were!  :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2008, 08:25:59 AM »

It's Thursday here in Oakland CA.

What day is it where you are?

;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2008, 08:26:55 AM »

G'Day, DR Ron Pulliam!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2008, 08:29:59 AM »

It's official:  WHOOPI to host the Tonys.

And here's the link to the Playbill On-Line article.

Whoopi

singdaw

« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2008, 08:31:24 AM »

And who do you see when you back 10 feet away from your mirror?

Fred Rogers!

singdaw

« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2008, 08:32:38 AM »

Really?  Jose and I are the ONLY two people logged on right now?

What you lack in quantity you make up for in quality.    :-*

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: May 08, 2008, 08:35:00 AM »

Oh...

I do have to say that I was a little caught off guard by the weather when I landed yesterday.  It was cloudy, gray and only in the low 60s(!).  I guess the "May Gray" has settled in for a bit.  However, the skies did clear up a bit as the day went on, and the sunset last night was quite nice.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: May 08, 2008, 08:36:59 AM »

TV was a wasteland last night as far as I am concerned.  I couldn't find a thing to watch that remotely interested me.

So...I tackled the "big" movie in my DVR cache:  "The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse".  A major bomb in its day, this film was one of those ill-conceived desperation ploys that MGM took on trying to repeat the sensational success of "Ben-Hur."  (An expensive remake of "Cimarron" was another one). If they had gotten William Wyler on the picture, it "might" have worked, especially if he'd been given carte blanche overall..  Of course, Vincente Minnelli did a respectable job given all with which he had to contend, including an updating of the story from WWI to WWII and the casting of the film's two leads.  I have to say I rather enjoyed watching it although I confess I was doing so with an ear toward Sir Andre Previn's spectacular music score.  I've heard the score a hundred times on LP, and on the expanded (complete) CD issued by Rhino.  I'd always imagined greatness that was simply misunderstood.  It's not there, though.  That music was trying to save/rouse/inspire something nearly stillborn.  All the thoughts I'd "imagined" have now shrivelled against the reality of what I saw.

Lovely leading lady Ingrid Thulin was dubbed by Angela Lansbury, but even she could not inject enough "presence/charisma/chemistry" into what we see on the screen.  Glenn Ford was pretty good, but he was a bit old for the role and he and Thulin never seemed to "click"  (despite all the yearning and angst we are treated to that "may" have made more sense in the original cut of the film, which was some 34 minutes longer than the one released)  Suppotring cast members Charles Boyer and Lee J. Cobb and several others were superb.  Karl Boehm as "Heinrich", the German cousin of Argentinean Julio (Ford) was set dressing, at best, and looked more like a chorus boy in a Nazi uniform than anything "formidable".  (Boehm was a tad more effective as one of the Brothers Grimm, Laurence Harvey being the other).  Yvette Mimieux was totally "lovely", as always, as Chi-Chi, the headstrong girl swept up by the youth movement arm of the French resistance.  Sadly, all her dialogue seemed to be on a track that was distorted.  And given the histrionics in which the the character seemed to indulge, the distortion was all that much more noticeable.

The production values are pretty darned beautiful, although the archival footage of WWII Europe is not on a par with MGM's camerawork.

The "message" of the film isn't as profound as it might have been.  "The Old One" (Cobb) was central in spirit throughout.  He was a man who lived life for all its delights and surprises.  He valued freedom to live that life above all things.  Alas, his offspring married very different "types" of people. One side was very political and embraced any repression that led to power.  The other side was cavalier and gay (in the old sense), fully embracing the good life wherever they found it.  That was all very well pre- and post-WWI...but by updating the film, the message had been seriously filtered as most folks had experienced WWII (pre- and post-) and had nothing in their experience with which to relate the sentiments/message being espoused.  IMO, of course.

Oh, well.  It was worth watching, and I know I'll watch it again.  So....it can't be ALL that bad!

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 08:53:34 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up