Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: AND QUIET FLOWS THE DON  (Read 73704 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:AND QUIET FLOWS THE DON
« Reply #210 on: May 08, 2008, 04:50:52 PM »

DR George, not that I'm interested in a DVD, just curious.  Since the HD is a better picture than non HD. I would think your copy would still be a better quality than if recorded off of non HD.  Are you saying that isn't so?

Unfortunately, a DVD burned from the hi-def source probably won't be any better than if the source was regular broadcast because the DVD burner isn't a hi-def burner.  It can only record at a certain picture quality, which is only as good as regular TV broadcast quality.  So, whether the original broadcast source is in hi-def or not, the picture quality of the DVD will only be so good. :-\

However, it's still better than VHS. :)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 04:55:50 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #211 on: May 08, 2008, 04:51:03 PM »

And at present I'm waiting for a plumber to arrive - we have been having water pipes replaced and by-passed over the past few weeks.  

Don't let them put your bathroom out in the backyard!!!!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #212 on: May 08, 2008, 04:51:31 PM »

I have been visiting friends in Toronto.  It's a small village about 90 minutes drive North of Sydney.

Welcome back, Tommy!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #213 on: May 08, 2008, 04:52:52 PM »

Thanks, George. I would appreciate your putting us on the list.

DR Sandra informs me that the series finale of Scrubs is on tonight. So I guess that will be on, whatever time it is. Then Everybody Loves Earl will be on, then ....

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #214 on: May 08, 2008, 04:53:32 PM »

Unfortunately, a DVD burned from the hi-def source probably won't be any better than if the source was regular broadcast because the DVD burner isn't a hi-def burner.  It can only record at a certain picture qualtiy, which is only as good as regular TV broadcast quality.  So, whether the original broadcast source is in hi-def or not, the picture quality of the DVD will only be so good. :-\

I'm puzzling over local PBS handling of this.  Our one PBS station that broadcasts in hi-def is not airing it, but one of the three other PBS stations that broadcast digitally is airing it.

Is it airing in hi-def in markets other than George's?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #215 on: May 08, 2008, 04:54:25 PM »

Unfortunately, a DVD burned from the hi-def source probably won't be any better than if the source was regular broadcast because the DVD burner isn't a hi-def burner.  It can only record at a certain picture qualtiy, which is only as good as regular TV broadcast quality.  So, whether the original broadcast source is in hi-def or not, the picture quality of the DVD will only be so good. :-\

And better than if the picture quality wasn't good to begin with :)

George

« Reply #216 on: May 08, 2008, 04:55:10 PM »

Not on my local channel....but on the HD channel on my Comcast lineup.

DR GEORGE.....may I put my name on the list?

Lovely new entertainment arrangement....and yes direct sunlight is damaging to LP's....

No, you may not put your name on the list, because I have the list!  However, I will be more than happy to add your name to it. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #217 on: May 08, 2008, 04:55:58 PM »

DR Ron, we only have one PBS station option here & it doesn't show HD.  ???

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #218 on: May 08, 2008, 04:56:13 PM »

Well...yes....BUT  if your hi-def recording is at 1080P or 1080I, the DVD recording of that signal, even downgraded to 480 is going to be a nicer picture than recording a signal broadcast at 480.  You'll have more lines of resolution in your "master".

Jane

« Reply #219 on: May 08, 2008, 04:56:28 PM »

DR Danise left.  I hope the cable guy is fixing the problem.

George

« Reply #220 on: May 08, 2008, 04:57:32 PM »

Thanks, George. I would appreciate your putting us on the list.

Do each you and Sandra want your own copies?

George

« Reply #221 on: May 08, 2008, 05:03:24 PM »

Well...yes....BUT  if your hi-def recording is at 1080P or 1080I, the DVD recording of that signal, even downgraded to 480 is going to be a nicer picture than recording a signal broadcast at 480.  You'll have more lines of resolution in your "master".

That's true.  I forgot about that.  

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #222 on: May 08, 2008, 05:07:50 PM »

Dang! I came home from work early, hoping to see CAMELOT, but it's not on the schedule. I searched the PBS website and see that one of our PBS stations isn't showing it at all, and the other is showing it at 4PM Sunday, when we'll be out to dinner with Greg's parents. And he still has not hooked up our DVR and is out of town.

So...dear Jorge, could you kindly put me on the list? I will be happy to pay for postage, or send you stamps...whatever you like!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

George

« Reply #223 on: May 08, 2008, 05:10:16 PM »

I just read HERE on Playbill.com that, among other decisions:

The new musical Glory Days, which opened and closed on Broadway on the same night, will not be eligible for nomination in any category.

I wonder if that has been the case for every other show that has closed early (if not on opening night)...or if there's a specific length of how long something has to play for it to be eligible for nomination(s).

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 05:11:47 PM by George »

George

« Reply #224 on: May 08, 2008, 05:10:51 PM »

So...dear Jorge, could you kindly put me on the list? I will be happy to pay for postage, or send you stamps...whatever you like!

You're on the list, too! :)

Danise

« Reply #225 on: May 08, 2008, 05:13:58 PM »

May I have a copy also since MR. Cable Man isn't coming?

I thought he was here which is why I signed off.  So I finely called.

I was told that he was here and left at 5:31.  

First, I was here.

Second, I have the door open with just the screen door latched.

Three, how close to the house do you think Mr. Cable Man would have got before both dogs would have started barking?

I did get a twently dollar credit but I have no TV tonight.  No Betty, no lost, no Camelot.   Sigh.

Oh, I did have a missed call to my cell phone at 5:31 but no message was left.  I was told they would call on my land line (which belongs to Bright House).   I have the cell phone on vibrate in my purse because we're not supost to have them on at work.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #226 on: May 08, 2008, 05:19:09 PM »

Thank you, George! I know that I would have no chance to see it. If there is any TV on at my in-laws, it's always tuned to golf.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

George

« Reply #227 on: May 08, 2008, 05:20:09 PM »

May I have a copy also since MR. Cable Man isn't coming?

~~~Vibes for Quick Cable Recovery!!~~~

And now, you're on the list, also! :D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #228 on: May 08, 2008, 05:25:26 PM »

Good Afternoon!  Good Evening!  Wherever you are!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #229 on: May 08, 2008, 05:28:23 PM »

Truth be told, DR Tommy (of Oz) wasn't really in Toronto - he was busy at a marathon of multitudes of productions of BLOOD BROTHERS. . . .

Welcome back, dr tomovoz! ;D
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #230 on: May 08, 2008, 05:35:10 PM »

So...

I made it to The Original Pantry Cafe this afternoon...

-It took me a few minutes to realize that the chalkboard menus on the walls were the only menus.  And I think my server knew I was a bit at sea too.  ;)

-If I had known that I could just order the "Set Up", I would have just ordered the Set Up - with or without the soup.  For some reason, I was thinking a "Set Up" was an add-on to your entree.

-I ordered the Hot Roast Beef Sandwich.  Good, not great, nor special.  The accompanying mashed potatoes tasted like they were thinned out with water and butter/margarine rather than milk and/or cream.  The peas were appropriately mushy.  However, the portion was huge!

-As for the coleslaw... It was good, however, I actually liked the stuff I got yesterday at Philippe's.  It just didn't taste that fresh to me.  Again, it was still good, but I sensed that it had been sitting in the dressing for just a tad longer than it would have been had I come at a busier time.  -I was one of six people in there at the time I went.  I also think my Coleslaw-o-meter is a bit skewed from my time in Richmond (where some places give you a choice of two or three different styles of coleslaw), and in NYC, of course.  So... When I go back there for breakfast, maybe I'll order a side of coleslaw to see if it's better next time round. ;)  *I do have to say, they had a pan filled with hash browns sitting on the griddle that looked sooooooooooo good.  -And then when I saw the cook ladle two ladle-fulls of melted butter on top of them... Hmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #231 on: May 08, 2008, 05:35:31 PM »

George, just one copy for the both of us. Thanks.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #232 on: May 08, 2008, 05:35:39 PM »

Welcome home, DR Tomovoz.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #233 on: May 08, 2008, 05:36:22 PM »

Welcome back, Tomovoz

George

« Reply #234 on: May 08, 2008, 05:42:25 PM »

George, just one copy for the both of us. Thanks.

Not a problem...and I just found out that it actually is on tonight, here!  I'll record it with my regular DVR, just to make sure that I get it, and that'll also give me time to experiement with the HD-DVR by Saturday morning, when it's rebroadcast. :)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2008, 05:42:44 PM by George »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #235 on: May 08, 2008, 05:42:36 PM »

I just read HERE on Playbill.com that, among other decisions:

The new musical Glory Days, which opened and closed on Broadway on the same night, will not be eligible for nomination in any category.

I wonder if that has been the case for every other show that has closed early (if not on opening night)...or if there's a specific length of how long something has to play for it to be eligible for nomination(s).

If it had run a week, it might have had a chance of being nominated for something.  The Tony voters do not start seeing show for Tony-voting purposes until after the show has officially opened, and/or the Tony cut-off date.  -Unlike the Outer Critcs and other pre-Tony Awards awards which send voters during previews.  So, since the show is no longer running, there's just no longer an opportunity for any Tony voter to see it for the purposes of  making recommendation for a nomination.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #236 on: May 08, 2008, 05:44:13 PM »

Welcome back, Tomovoz

And this is the first I've seen of your smiling face all day, Fred!   ;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #237 on: May 08, 2008, 05:45:44 PM »

Oh...

I also went back to Union Station, Olvera Street - those taquitos with avocado sauce were good(!), the Los Angeles Cathedral (quite an amazing building), the Ahmanson, Dorothy Chandler Pavilion, Disney Concert Hall (WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - truly a stunning piece of architecture!), Pershing Square and Angel's Flight.

Whew!

*And, yes, pictures were taken, but I still need to edit them down size-wise before posting them here.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #238 on: May 08, 2008, 05:45:47 PM »

If it had run a week, it might have had a chance of being nominated for something.  The Tony voters do not start seeing show for Tony-voting purposes until after the show has officially opened, and/or the Tony cut-off date.  -Unlike the Outer Critcs and other pre-Tony Awards awards which send voters during previews.  So, since the show is no longer running, there's just no longer an opportunity for any Tony voter to see it for the purposes of  making recommendation for a nomination.

Thanks for the info.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #239 on: May 08, 2008, 06:12:26 PM »

OK... I need to get ready for dinner, so...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up