Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Down

Author Topic: CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT  (Read 50309 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re:CHIMES AT MIDNIGHT
« Reply #60 on: June 26, 2008, 02:18:56 AM »

Laters
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2008, 02:25:29 AM »

Talking about Dawn's crack again?

(I know, I know; you already used that one yesterday!   :D )

Well, another new day, another new play!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2008, 02:29:55 AM »

The changing of the guard!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

singdaw

« Reply #63 on: June 26, 2008, 03:03:07 AM »

I'm back!!   :D

What did I miss?

singdaw

« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2008, 03:05:35 AM »

Dollars to Donuts, we'll get to page 4.

singdaw

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2008, 03:06:47 AM »

singdaw

« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2008, 03:07:06 AM »

Leapin' Lizards!

singdaw

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2008, 03:12:45 AM »

TOD:

Can't remember the longest I've gone without food.  Not very long.

I pulled many all-nighters in college to finish papers, so I guess it would be 48 hours.  It did strange things to my mind.  And rendered me relatively incapacitated by the end.  Mentally and physically.    I know, I know:  How can you tell the difference?    :-\

I've told this story before, but I had a voice lesson bright & early one morning after having pulled an all-nighter.  My voice teacher listened to three notes and could tell.  He sent me home immediately to go to bed!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2008, 03:54:09 AM »

And the word of the day is: MULIEBRITY!
When donkeys and other asses have had too much to drink, they usually fail the MULIEBRITY test.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2008, 03:55:49 AM »

Speaking of  MULIEBRITY, I'm thinking of wearing a skirt to work today

If I did that, I'd get laughed at.

Lousy looking knees, don'tcha know.   ::)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 03:56:13 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2008, 04:03:56 AM »

Going without food?

WITH MY JOB?  ARE YOU KIDDING???

::)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2008, 04:08:08 AM »

As for going without sleep, yesterday eve I accidentally fell asleep before getting dinner on the table (der B had told me he wasn't hungry yet), woke around 11 pm, said to myself "Wisely Totally Fabulous" or something like that, wandered into the study where der B was here on the computer, told him it was too late for dinner, which he agreed to and said he'd scrounge, and then I went back to bed.

I feel rested now.

And the potato salad and celery root salad for tonight's dinner are already made.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2008, 04:08:40 AM »

And now I'm running late to get to work.

Hasta.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #73 on: June 26, 2008, 05:09:43 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: June 26, 2008, 05:11:31 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I regularly would go 48-60 hours without sleep in college - and even after college.  It just "happens" sometimes.

As for going without food, well, I have done a 48-hour fast before, and then there was the 14-day liquid fast.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: June 26, 2008, 05:11:58 AM »

And now I must get ready for work...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2008, 05:37:04 AM »

I think the longest I've gone without eating was three full days and nights, maybe four.  The reason was simple - a terrible case of food poisoning from Carl's Jr.  I really think it was four days before I could eat anything, and even then I had to eat very little the first couple of days.  I think I lost six pounds in one week that week.

Oh, if you're talking about being sick, then I've probably gone around the same length of time if not a little longer

Cillaliz

« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2008, 05:44:09 AM »

I was rudely awakened at 6:25 AM by my weather radio announcing the arrival of a severe thunderstorm.  We missed the severe part but got a lot of rain. There were also tornado warnings nearby so I jumped out of bed and got dressed in case I needed to take shelter. Now I am very groggy.   I have to be at the office at 8:30 AM and have a meeting at 3:30 PM, I am considering coming home in between and relaxing while I work and taking a nap if necessary.  

I wasn't sleepy in the middle of the night, BOY am I sleepy now....COFFEE>>>>I MUST HAVE COFFEE>>>>>
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:44:48 AM by Cillaliz »

Cillaliz

« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2008, 05:45:52 AM »

Those donuts look good....caffine and sugar with a little fat thrown in ...sounds like a good way to start the day.

I hear thunder again, better get ready for work

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2008, 05:47:45 AM »

Last night's Canadian Idol results show was so disappointing.

They had a final 24 instead of final 22. 15 guys and 9 girls. That part was okay. So they split 12 and 12 into the two nights (mixture of guys and girls).

The results show was last night. It was interesting. Very different. It was only 1/2 hour. But they had let the kids split into groups of 2-4. And they all sang group numbers. Which were so much more incredible than the solo singing.

But then instead of making a bottom 3 or anything (they were sending the bottom 2 home from each night).

The host simply announced the 4 names and those people had to leave.

Now this year is so much stronger than any other year we've had. Many of these people seem like pros already.

Of the first group though. The first girl to go home was awful. So i was fine with that. The second person that left, well i was surprised. But didn't particularly care. She was not going to win.

But in the 2nd group, i was shocked by both evictees. They had been 2 of my favorites and were both really really good. So that left me really bummed.

I mean i know most people don't know the contestants yet. But part of it is that one of the people was from montreal. It is very hard to win if you are from quebec. Because most people in quebec are french. And they don't really watch the show. So the contestant loses out (a lot of fans vote for the people in their area). :(
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:48:14 AM by Jennifer »

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #80 on: June 26, 2008, 05:54:42 AM »

The longest I've gone without sleep was my freshman year in college during Hell Week.  

They make you stay awake for 2-3 days at a time, which makes you totally useless when you're in class.

The longest without eating?

When I was in the hospital after I had my  gall bladder removed.  I didn't eat anything for the better part of a week.
You can dream…or you can do.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #81 on: June 26, 2008, 05:55:03 AM »

The longest I've gone without food was in 1983, when I checked into the hospital on a Thursday afternoon for surgery right after supper was served. I didn't get to eat again until Sunday afternoon, because the resident neglected to put food on my orders. No matter how much I begged the nurses, they wouldn't give me anything to eat.

I was young then. Today I would have none of that.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: June 26, 2008, 05:55:55 AM »

Good morning, all! I'm off to Toyland and then the NYPL at 42nd Street. When I get back here, I have to deal with Kim Criswell's chart and  do some writing on the Babes In Toyland critical notes. Thanks to a wonderful group of colleagues, Curtis Moore, Matthew Brookshire, Peter Foley, Chris Deschene, Tom Murray, and the mighty Skip Kennon, composer of several wonderful scores, we are now into the second volume of the critical edition, which consists of all the music Herbert extracted from Babes In Toyland for other venues and income, from a concert overture to the revised German version Spielland to a 1923 revue sketch Toyland Today and all the commercial orchestra publications of medleys and dance arrangements by Herbert's publisher, M. Witmark & Sons. It's all quite exciting to think that the edition is nearly completed.

Last night, since I had money, I finally ate something beyond canned soup and crackers in the past week, and that was fun. I also telephoned our DR Jose whose cell phone was turned off. He must have sensed I would be calling him,

TOD:

I never go without eating. Fasting is not for me.

Around 1984, I was doing charts for a company that did Cruise Line entertainments. Just like a show, you didn't get the charts till they were finalized and then there was a frenzy of work to finish the arrangement and get it to a copyist before the director, choreographer, and acts hopped on the next ship. A lot of the acts were god-awful and the boys in the bands were usually drunk or untalented/unhappy/whatever, and they always played poorly.

The weekend of July 4, I had a pile of work with a deadline and for about 4 days, I wrote, catching a nap here and there, but just grinding out endless medleys and dances. I remember going to the office - was it in the Equity Building? I forget - and dropping everything off, coming home, and having a huge crying jag before I passed out. I got the job through a very talented writer from University of Cncinnati-CCM, Mark Riese, who was from the Pacific Northwest, Oregon, as I recall. He was a very good friend who sang bass in the Gay Men's Chorus and wanted to compose Broadway shows. He was working on a very funny one about a guy whose apartment was haunted by the ghosts of Judy Garland and Marilyn Monroe titled JUDY MARILYN AND ME when he died of AIDS related causes around 1987 or so. Both he and his partner are long gone, and I still think about Mark often because he was such a talent.

The last year of his life, Mark and Jim went to Europe, and Mark called me to ask me what I wanted him to bring me. Since I knew they were going to Prague and Budapest, I asked him for a score for Dvorak's opera RUSALKA. I wish now that I'd ask him to sign it when he gave it to me.  And those of us who survive have to tell the tale.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:57:54 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #83 on: June 26, 2008, 05:56:15 AM »

DR derBRUCER re-asked my question with no answer, so I will save it for next Wednesday.  It is not time sensitive.

Lovely day today, if a trifle warm.

I have no response for the TOD.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #84 on: June 26, 2008, 05:56:35 AM »

I am going to try to go for a walk. It is 5:51 a.m. and 82 degrees F.

singdaw

« Reply #85 on: June 26, 2008, 05:57:28 AM »

Today I would have none of that.

That's Ms. Feisty to you!    :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: June 26, 2008, 05:58:34 AM »

So true, DRELMORE.  That is why I can hardly watch the last few minutes of LONGTIME COMPANION....it is almost unbearable.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: June 26, 2008, 06:00:49 AM »

Well there has been a joke floating around the internet about the Priest's Ass, but I imagine everyone has heard it already....so I won't repeat it.

BUT - since no one acknowledged my warning late last night, I will repeat it:

URANUS is in retrograde - expect the unexpected! Surprises are in store in all areas of life.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #88 on: June 26, 2008, 06:01:26 AM »

Apparently I am still bitter.

singdaw

« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2008, 06:37:29 AM »

Butter makes bitter batter better.    :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 20   Go Up