Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: LAUGHING IN THE FACE OF SUCH INCOMPETENCE  (Read 23890 times)

Ben

Re:LAUGHING IN THE FACE OF SUCH INCOMPETENCE
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2004, 10:52:34 AM »

and here we are at page 3 all ready to fill it up

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2004, 11:15:27 AM »

I did want to mention that this weekend I had the great honor of listening to a really wonderful CD of  DR Ann's recital.  Due to a large printing job over the weekend for my little home buisness (The Birkeland Touch), I was only able to give the CD a cursory listen, but so far I have been extremely impressed.  I plan on spending a lot more time savoring her CD tonight!

Topic(s) du jour!

I usually deal with those types of problems by keeeping it all bottled up inside.  Unfortunately, eventually some innocent person gets the brunt of the nuclear meltdown, when I finally do let it out.

The Fantasticks
Little Shop of Horrors

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2004, 11:18:35 AM »

MR BK!  Look what I found in one of my books!   ;D

Miss Thelma Ritter & Mr Richard Kiley from
Pickup On South Street!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2004, 11:27:20 AM »

Miss Ritter's finest hour, the scene pictured in the photo.

Well, you won't believe it - I can barely believe it myself and yet I must believe it because it is true.  I called the DSL people back, just to get the latest tech info into the record.  I got a really nice guy, and he ran a test on my line (others have done so at every step) and here is what he told me:  You're too far from the base station to get DSL."  Yes, you heard it here, dear readers, I am too far from the base station to get DSL.  Now, wouldn't you think that at some point someone would have figured this out?  I canceled service and everyone was very apologetic about it.  

I now have to decide on an alternate plan of attack.  Direct TV has a company that does high-speed internet, does anyone here use them?  I think it's called Directway or something.  They use a satellite dish and apparently (according to them) it works great.  However, for the first fifteen months of service the cost is $99 a month, which is just nonsense.  Fifty of it is paying off the 500 charge for the dish.  So, I don't think I wish to do that.  I certainly won't do Adelphia cable because I hate them with a passion.  So, what are my alternatives, dear readers?  Do any other companies in my area offer DSL or cable or some other form of high-speed?  I look forward to your thoughts.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2004, 11:30:32 AM »

"Bling Bling" is the term currently used to describe the kind of jewelry that is bright and flashy and used to be seen only on drag queens, but is now popular again.

Der Brucer (who has never worn bling bling), is testing the new DVD player by playing the disc for Spirit, Stallion of the Cimmaron, his way of commenting on my "nag"-ging him earlier.   ( :-* )  Lordy, what a score!  A little of that goes a long way!  It sounds at first like it's quite melodic, but the volume keeps pushing and pushing, and it gets so repetitive that it's eighty minutes of oppressive pop.  Bleh.  Zimmer and Adams should be stuck on a mule in the middle of the Indy 500 for this one.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2004, 11:32:46 AM »

BK - You may be able to get high speed internet from your local cable company without having to take cable as well.  That's what we have at the office.

Perhaps the $117 Million figure I read on A-Rod was for the term of the contract.  Still $25 Million a year just to play baseball is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2004, 11:33:17 AM »

I rarely blow my top at anyone. I likely would just go and grab a pack of cigarettes and/or a cup of java to make me fell better!

The one time in recent years that I became quite upset was at Target (which up to that time was my FAVORITE store). They would not allow me to exchange a telephone that didn't work because I didn't have the receipt. For the life of me I could not find the receipt, but since it was one of those Michael Graves designs telephones that only Target sells I figured it would not be a problem to simply exchange it for a working model. I didn't want a refund or anything, just a phone that worked. I was wrong. I did go up the chain of command as far as I could and was finally told that I was just one of many other customers and he couldn't do anything special for me. That is what he said. I had remained calm up to this point. Seeing as how I had worked in retail for 13 years I could not fathom a store manager telling me that I was just another customer! Anyway, after I told him off, said I would no longer be shopping there, and then stormed out I discovered that I had forgotten that one of the other reasons I had gone to Target, aside from exchanging the telephone, was that I wanted a pair of the jeans that they had on sale! LOL! So I waited several hours until I thought most of the people who had witnessed my tirade were off work and I went back in...wearing my glasses and a complete change of clothing so as not to easily be recognized (LOL!) and bought the jeans!

What should happen but while waiting in line the customer service manager, whom I had told I would never shop at his store again, comes and opens up a register and the cashier whose line I am in indicates to me that it would be quicker for me to go into the other line! Yikes! LOL! Oh well, so much for standing up for my principles! But those jeans were such a good price!

I have long forgiven Target and it is once again my favorite store. By the way I got another telephone by going in and purchasing a new one, then using that receipt to return the non-working one with. So simple it was!

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2004, 11:35:26 AM »

BK, doesn't AOL have it's own DSL? Then you wouldn't have to change much of anything.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2004, 11:38:38 AM »

This was in response to a comment from PennyO

When and where shall we be complicit?

To which I have to add, don't let me forget to bring the camera.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2004, 11:43:49 AM »

AOL has what they call "broadband" but it requires a high-speed cable or dsl line in place.  Pointless sort of.  Adelphia does offer high-speed cable but I won't do business with them.  So, I need other options.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2004, 11:45:13 AM »

BK, on hearing, yet again, that the DSL man "has been delayed":

LOL-that is great!! ;D ;D

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2004, 11:51:05 AM »

In response to Donald's announcement of the upcoming Radio Show, this was posted.

Who???
[/size]

Not who, dear DR TCB, but what.  Sherry is the musical based on The Man Who Came to Dinner, the score only now having been released (after many many years) on CD.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2004, 11:51:49 AM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: February 17, 2004, 11:57:48 AM »

Blowing Off Steam (which I never have to do because I am so perfectly eventemter...uh, evyntem... Eventewlnsbngaslks  DAMMIT!): I find a two-step process works best.  First, isolate oneself.  Second, work on a project that has nothing to do with the cause of the blowup and requires your concentration.

Like baking cookies!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #73 on: February 17, 2004, 12:02:58 PM »

Off-Broadway Musicals:  I've got a question about this question.  Is an "off-Broadway musical" one that has played in an off-Broadway house, officially designated as such, or simply one that has not played in a Broadway house?

In any case, I have long been in love with the score for A New Brain.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: February 17, 2004, 12:04:25 PM »

Did anyone else, besides myself, notice that the new FOX series The Little(?) Bridegroom is only going to be two episodes?  Doesn't that seem rather short to you?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2004, 12:11:10 PM »

I got another telephone by going in and purchasing a new one, then using that receipt to return the non-working one with. So simple it was!

I have used that method of replacement a number of times. :D

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2004, 12:18:54 PM »

Blowing Off Steam (which I never have to do because I am so perfectly eventemter...uh, evyntem... Eventewlnsbngaslks  DAMMIT!): I find a two-step process works best.  First, isolate oneself.  Second, work on a project that has nothing to do with the cause of the blowup and requires your concentration.

Like baking cookies!

Then eat the cookies!!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: February 17, 2004, 12:20:34 PM »

I just ordered Adelphia high-speed cable.  It was the only other alternative, and I had a long chat with their tech-support folks and it sounds like it will be fine - plus I can then get rid of my second phone line which will save ten bucks and change a month.  Adelphia is quite cheap for the first three months, then it will even itself out because I have finally ridden myself of Web TV.  So, it will really only cost me about twenty bucks more than I'd been paying with aol and webtv and the phone line, if that.  They're coming next Tuesday with the modem and the cable and hopefully it will be much simpler to deal with, plus there is no "contract" - just month by month, so that if I'm not happy I can just cancel.

Jane

« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2004, 12:23:52 PM »

Ben I’m impressed with all the letters you wrote.  It must have been a big problem.

Charles Pogue your advice was absolutely great.  Keith’s letters get a response, unlike mine.  I tend to do better on the phone.

Bruce I have refused to do business with so many places I hesitate to suggest you return to cable.  It is possible they have corrected the problem you had with them.  If we had a choice we would prefer cable or DSL over the satellite.  Keith has spent a good number of hours on the phone with the satellite company correcting problems.  It was a disaster when we tried their email service.  Since then the problems have been fixed and our change back to direcway email is a great improvement.  We now have more speed and, so far, no spam.

Jane

« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2004, 12:26:41 PM »

I just ordered Adelphia high-speed cable.

;D  You posted while I was typing.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2004, 12:26:51 PM »

Did anyone else, besides myself, notice that the new FOX series The Little(?) Bridegroom is only going to be two episodes?  Doesn't that seem rather short to you?

Perhaps this will be a parody, of sorts, of Miss Emily Latella's story about the little bitty, eensie-weensie, teeny tiny Prince who married a little bitty, eensie-weensie, teeny tiny Princess who, on their wedding night, discovered that the Prince had a....[never mind]

If that's the case, the show wouldn't go much beyond two episodes, I wouldn't imagine.

:D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2004, 12:37:01 PM »

We're getting little flakes of snow coming down!  Not whole big clumps, just little flakes drifting towards gravity's pull, dancing lightly as the breeze blows them about.  Happy Happy Joy Joy!   :D

Der Brucer: "I didn't order snow."  (grumble grumble)

Me:  "I did!"

Jane

« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2004, 12:37:27 PM »

Question #1:  I vent.  I vent to everyone and I take long walks and vent to the air.  Chocolate helps too. A sense of humor while venting is a good thing.  Exercise, laughter, and chocolate are the best way to increase ones endorphins.

Jane

« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2004, 12:39:00 PM »

Snow is nice.  We have had rain for two days now.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2004, 12:39:41 PM »

LOL MBARNUM......it happens everytime.  And yes buying a new one and using the receipt to return the other one is a good way to bypass the red tape.  I have done it myself a couple of times when nothing else seems to work.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2004, 12:48:33 PM »

TO VENT - I walk the dog.  Which could explain why she is so extraordinarily healthy at thirteen!

OFF - BROADWAY:
SCARMBLED FEET is my number one pick.
PUMP BOYS AND DINETTES - country for people who don't like country.
OIL CITY SYMPHONY - more of the above.
ALWAYS, PATSY CLINE
DAS BARBECU - not to be confused with DERBRUCER
THE FANTASTICKS
LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS
EATING RAOUL
PROMANADE
THE MADWOMAN OF CENTRAL PARK WEST
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #86 on: February 17, 2004, 12:57:26 PM »

Echo is outside playing in the rain by herself since I decided to stay in until the weather improves a bit.  As of today I have had this cough for two weeks.  It improves daily & really isn’t a big deal, but the muscles in my upper body are all very sore from the intense coughing I had been doing and every little cough hurts.  

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: February 17, 2004, 01:00:43 PM »

Was "A Man Of No Importance" Off Broadway? Not that it matters really - it is just a delightful show. Same with "Bat Boy" - small scale but fun.  As a total outsider, the line between Off and On Broadway seems somewhat blurry.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: February 17, 2004, 01:06:19 PM »

LOL MBARNUM......it happens everytime.  And yes buying a new one and using the receipt to return the other one is a good way to bypass the red tape.  I have done it myself a couple of times when nothing else seems to work.

You guys are sneaky. But great idea.

I'm surprised they wouldn't exchange that phone though.  I recently was given a blow-up exercise ball that was made by Wallmart. It was missing the piece to hold in the air (and the instructions).  I didn't have the receipt. I simply went to Walmart, got a new one and exchanged it at the customer service cash. And I had no problem. They were really nice about it too.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #89 on: February 17, 2004, 01:12:53 PM »

In response to Donald's announcement of the upcoming Radio Show, this was posted.Not who, dear DR TCB, but what.  Sherry is the musical based on The Man Who Came to Dinner, the score only now having been released (after many many years) on CD.

No, DR SWW, I am well aware of the musical Sherry.  My "Who" was a, hopefully, humorous reference to the interview with that complete unknown, Noel Katz.
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up