Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MINCING TUNA  (Read 39981 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE MINCING TUNA
« on: July 15, 2008, 12:52:20 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes minced about like so much fish, and now it is time for you to post until the mincing cows come home.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 12:35:45 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE MINCING TUNA
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:56:21 AM »

And the word of the day is: INDURATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 12:57:46 AM »

And now - Dino at the piano.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:05:04 AM »

Topid of the Day:  the only cold pasta dishes that I can think of (at this moment) that I've had have been store-bought macaroni salads...usually with a bit too much mayo, but still they've tasted good. :) I just don't think I've had anything that special or fancy.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2008, 01:05:57 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 01:05:12 AM »

bk, thanks for the tuna pasta recipe!   :)   It saved me from trying to dig through the OLD archives.  

George

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 01:06:19 AM »

I'm not a fan of tuna. :P
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

singdaw

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 01:07:06 AM »

A new tome in the Artemis Fowl series today, for those that enjoy it...

singdaw

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 01:07:43 AM »

That's OK, DR George.   Tuna still likes you anyway.    :)

singdaw

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2008, 01:11:21 AM »

bk, how many ounces of tuna...  one of those cat-food sized cans?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 01:12:59 AM »

Yes, the cat-food sized can - the one that has app. 175 calories.

singdaw

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2008, 01:15:11 AM »

bk's Tuna Pasta Salad is, of course, not to be confused with bk's Wacky Noodles.

singdaw

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 01:16:18 AM »

The trick for bk will be maintaining his current strict regimen whilst traveling to and staying in NYC.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 01:16:26 AM »

I was looking at the column archives and noticed a missing entry about three days ago - there was just an empty space.  So, I went back to where I type in the notes and looked and sure enough I hadn't put the title of the notes in the proper place - ADO.  So, I fixed that and now it's there.  So, I scrolled down to see if there were any other instances of that, and sure enough I found a hole for an entry last year - it took me a while to find it in the board archives (which is the only place I'd have the title reference), but I found it and fixed that one, too.  Now I'm going to go back and look through the entire column archive, because I think we had a couple of these a long time ago and neither Bakalor nor I could figure out why there'd be an empty hole instead of the link to a column - now I know, so I can fix them so our archive is completely complete.

George

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 01:18:10 AM »

Gratuitous Post #13.

;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 01:18:16 AM »

The trick for bk will be maintaining his current strict regimen whilst traveling to and staying in NYC.

Luckily, it's a short trip - the food part will be easy, but the running part won't - although I'll try to get up really early on Friday and Saturday to get some sort of run in.  If not, I'll have three days off from running and I'll be very good, food-wise.  There simply won't be enough time to pig out.

George

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2008, 01:18:40 AM »

And on that note (A-flat), I'm off to bed.  Good night, BK and Singdaw.

singdaw

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2008, 01:19:29 AM »

May you have a restful night, DR George!

George

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2008, 01:23:05 AM »

May you have a restful night, DR George!

Thank you, and you, too...unless you're just getting up?  Either way, have a good day. :)

FJL

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2008, 04:40:58 AM »

Indurate was the Ambassador of the alien planet Rylos in Last Starfighter

(or was that Enduran? I get so confused when an opportunity to plug Last Starfighter comes up.)

FJL

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2008, 04:42:48 AM »

George - I'm shocked that I forgot to mention Jessica Skerritt as well, since she just did our workshop of Last Starfighter not six weeks ago  (spoo, was that another plug???)

FJL

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2008, 04:43:18 AM »

PLUG is GULP spelled backwards, for those who didn't know.

singdaw

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2008, 05:26:48 AM »

The Randy Vicar and the Contortionists

photo:   Circque Dreams: Jungle Fantasy

singdaw

« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2008, 05:34:08 AM »

And the word of the day is: INDURATE!

Many people do not know that the original draft of "Hard-Hearted Hannah, the Vamp of Savannah" was actually INDURATE Hannah.   But it didn't have the right number of syllables.

singdaw

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2008, 05:35:26 AM »

Charlie doesn't think he minces.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2008, 05:37:35 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up.... And I'm about to head out, but I'll be back... And then I shall need to head out again, but, again, I will be back... And so on and so forth...

Laters....
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2008, 05:37:46 AM »

Good morning, all! I'm listening to the score of this NYMF show I've been asked about doing. It's quite nice. I like the singers, and I wonder who they may be.

Yesterday, I got a lovely note from Miss Kim Criswell about how well the chart I did went over, and I'm thinking about traveling out to Long Island on Saturday to hear the rehearsal of the new chart I did for Daniel Rodriguez. It's from 2-5 and I could be back to the City by 8 pm.

DR SWoodyWhie, I also add my appreciation for your acting as secretary on the "Name Game." Thank you.

Today, more Dillngham corrrspondence at the NYPL Rare Books and Manuscripts Division. I'll head over around 10:30 or so.  I need to read the NYMF scrip[t this morningand begin this chart for Kip Wilborn.

First, more coffee.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2008, 05:43:41 AM »

bk's Tuna Pasta Salad is, of course, not to be confused with bk's Wacky Noodles.
Which are not to be confused with Whacky Noodles, those long, tubular, plastic swimming toys sold at good stores everywhere (like the supermarket where I work).
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2008, 05:49:45 AM »

re: BIG BROTHER

DR RonP, re: the comment i made yesterday asking if you were doing live feed spoilers.  I actually didn't mean the feeds. I meant if you were reading the spoilers. I don't watch the feeds either. Just read.

My favorite site is Dingo's hamsterwatch. He updates a few times a day. But only a few paragraphs. He is great.

http://www.hamsterwatch.com

For a more detailed description of what is going on i like television without pity (the live feed discussion thread). Just go to the end.

http://forums.televisionwithoutpity.com/index.php?s=5760d3982cfb98bdb43b92dd7bd0d222&showforum=856

I've been trying to find if john (formerly of canoe) is posting anywhere. If i find out i'll link it.

But those are the only 2 i read each day.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2008, 05:52:56 AM »

In the notes, our esteemed BK included the following ingredients:

1 pound of large elbow macaroni
Mayonnaise (Best Foods ONLY)
1 can Bumble Bee all-white tuna in water (or any brand you like – but in water)
1 red onion

Silly BK probably doesn't remember that Best Foods is not sold as Best Foods east of the Rockies.  On this side of the continental divide, it is known as Hellman's.

Yes, we sell Hellman's at the store.

But I've been known to make my own mayo.  By hand.

It's simple: whisk an egg yolk with a whisk until it's nice and sunny yellow, add a little salt and vinegar (or lemon juice), and then ever so slowly whisk in a cup or so of oil, just a drop or three at a time at first, until everything is emulsified.  (What kind of oil you use greatly affects the flavor of the mayo.)

Add some garlic to the mayo while you're whisking, and you've got aioli.

But stick with the Hellman's/Best Foods for BK's Tuna Pasta Salad recipe.  They not only bring out the best, but they also have more air whipped into them, which alters the taste.

I'd whip in that much air, but my arm gets worn out too soon.

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2008, 05:56:08 AM »

A very simple recipe for cold pasta:

Cook up some pasta, preferably a small type such as penne.  Cool it down.  Add pesto (store-bought is fine) and some chopped black olives.  Finish with a little freshly grated Parmesan Regiano cheese (not the stuff from the green can, but the type you grate yourself).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13   Go Up