Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DEEP SENTENCES  (Read 26040 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:DEEP SENTENCES
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2004, 07:44:48 AM »

When Kander & Ebb wrote Zorba!, they wanted Anthony Quinn to do it, but he flatly turned it down as soon as he heard the "...waiting to die" lyric.  He insisted that was absolutely contrary to the spirit of Zorba.

So, of course, for the revival, they changed the one line and he did it.  We saw him at the Westbury Music Fair (with Maria K....) out here on the Island of Long, and he was faboo, as was she.  "No boom-boom" remains one of the most quoted lyrics around our house.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2004, 07:50:49 AM »

My brother was a HUGE Motown fan, so even while I was listening to MAME, CHARITY, and LA MANCHA in my room, my brother had the Temptations, the Four Tops, the SUpremes, Marvin Gaye, Martha and the Vandellas spinning in his.

Years later, my first boy friend (the one who gave me my first deep kiss discussed last week) and I picked Mary Wells' "My Guy" as our song.

Other than The Supremes, though, I find it hard to remember titles of other Motown hits that I like. I do like their "You Can't Hurry Love" probably the most. The scene in THE BOYS IN THE BAND when "Heat Wave" starts playing and the guys start dancing with each other is another terrific moment in the movies.

Looking forward to getting and watching THE DAMNED. I must order that today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2004, 08:04:57 AM »

7 BRIDES FOR 7 BROTHERS was so much fun last night. Can't believe I have never seen that film before (at least not the whole thing). And Jeff Richards was very good, and he did sing and dance a little bit. And I didn't realize how much I could enjoy Jane Powell and Howard Keel! They really are good!

Quite a few people in attendance also, but one annoying teenage girl who laughed at everything she thought was ridiculous (obviously she thinks older movies are below her...and I was ready to throttle her after awhile!).

Received my Ebay win of 30 (thirty) Bollywood CDs last night, so now I must do my work whilst listening to various Hindi film soundtracks!

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2004, 08:08:13 AM »

Were THE ORLONS a Mowtown group? I love their songs Wah Wah Watusi and Don't Hang Up.

How about Dee Dee Sharp and her Mashed Potatoe?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2004, 08:12:14 AM »

I saw the first national touring company of Zorba when I was a kid, with Vivian Blaine, if you can believe it!!

Motown:  I like the 70s writers Lambert/Potter and Bernard Ighner.  When Sergio Mendes was starting his foray into more of a soul/r&b sound, he did a lot of their material.  Fans of Stevie might want to check out the tune Stevie wrote especially for Sergio, "The Real Thing."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2004, 08:19:48 AM »

POTENTIAL "AMERICAN IDOL" SPOILERS:

Last night's show was almost, but not quite, as hideous as the previous night's.  Granted, we did not have to endure (almost) everyone massacring their songs, but we had to endure a half-hour of Ryan Seacrest being uninteresting, unfunny and (nearly) unbearable.

"Hawaii girl" -- aka Camile -- was the surprise, for me.  That she was picked in the top three, that is.

That she was advanced was a stunner.

And then she sang.  DREADFUL!  Worse than on Tuesday night.  And I started wondering WHAT THE HECK the judges are envisioning in championing her.  And then it came to me -- they see her as another singer along the lines of that dreadful European girl who stunk up the Oscars a few years back singing a song while dressed in a swan costume.

I thought for sure Matthew was done for, because Lisa was the best singer from Tuesday night and Matthew was "dissed" by the judges.  But no!  Matthew -- aka "Football guy" -- advanced, and he obviously has a following that don't care what the judges think.

As far as Simon goes, I admire him for sticking by his beliefs.  He was dead wrong about Clay Aiken, and they were all pretty much wrong about Ruben, too.  Ruben's got some legs, but he's more or less settled into a niche -- not the broad market they envision for the "American Idol."  Despite Simon's assertions that Clay would do well on Broadway, Clay has seemingly shunned his former "great voice" style and has now been given over to over-synthed stylings and he has found that broad marketplace the "American Idol" was meant to occupy.  Now Clay is propping up the first "Idol" winner -- Kelly Clarkson -- on a national tour.  He was set to tour solo, but they added Kelly, purportedly to increase the size of venues and audiences.  I think it was more to prop Miss Kelly up.  Her star hasn't been very shiny since "Justin Does it to Kelly" tanked so miserably (and how could it not with that crappy title?).

« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 09:48:44 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2004, 08:33:18 AM »

Universal's "Airport": The Terminal Package:

I got this over the weekend and have watched only the original.  As Bruce said, this DVD is in anamorphic widescreen and DTS 5.1 surround sound.  

This is the movie that got them all started -- every one of the disaster flicks of the 70s.  It's a classy production with a classy cast.  It has a first-rate screenplay, solid production values and a superb music score by Alfred Newman (his last).  In DTS, the score has never sounded better.

Thoughts and feelings washed over me while watching the film:  Dean Martin was a very, very good actor.  He was NEVER better than when he was away from his Rat Pack cronies.  Jacqueline Bissett was very lovely and affecting as Gwen, the lead stewardess.  (Sad to say, there's not a young actress out there today, to my knowledge, who has the pure beauty and grace Bissett had -- or the ability to play such a role convincingly).  George Kennedy was terrific.  Helen Hayes (be nice, Jack) was marvelous as Mrs. Ada Quonsett.  It's just one of those roles and she made the most of it.  However, it's Maureen Stapleton as Inez Guerrero who gives the best performance in the film -- she's heartbreakingly real and tragic.  When she broke through the security barricade -- absolutely distraught and pitifully apologizing to the returning passengers for what her husband had done -- she broke my heart.  I was sobbing.

Jack says he thinks Jean Seberg looked like Faye Dunaway, while I sat through the whole film misremembering her as Dina Merrill.  Burt Lancaster was solid, if not challenged.  Barbara Hale makes the most of a small part as the wife of Dean Martin who realizes she's lost her husband when she sees him leaving the airport with the EMTs and the seriously injured Gwen.  Dana Wynter served up another superb performance as Burt Lancaster's bitchy wife (and with good reason was she bitchy).

This film holds up extremely well.  There were some cockpit sequences in the early going -- as the plane was airborne and the crew and Bissett were discussing their stowaway and the odd Mr. Guerrero -- that looked as though they might have suffered some irreversible damage.  The center of the screen is well lighted but it's framed in darkness.  Later cockpit shots are normal.

It was nominated for a slew of Oscars.  I think Hayes' Best Supporting Actress nod is the only win it had.

I bought the pack for the one film.  To hear Newman's score in DTS.

The score is a miracle.  Alfred Newman was the most significant figure in film music for three decades, as a composer, conductor and music department head.  He gave many out-of-work composers their best assignments -- David Raksin and "Laura," Bernard Herrmann and "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" and "The Egyptian" and "Beneath the Twelve-Mile Reef" to cite only a few, and Hugo Friedhofer's output in the CinemaScope 50s was unparalleled.  Newman was a very sick man when he began scoring "Airport," and it was to the credit of his associate, Ken Darby, and friends Friedhofer and Fred Steiner (not related to Max) that the score was finished.  All thematic materials were Newman's own, and "The Airport Love Theme" is one of film music's finest creations.  On top of that, it was a top 10 hit in 1970.  But it's the propulsive main theme and overall dramatic underscore that give this film the guts it has -- demonstrating that when all the right elements are married together you get a major piece of entertainment.

The rest of the Airports I'll watch over time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 10:15:23 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2004, 08:42:16 AM »

How about Dee Dee Sharp and her Mashed Potatoe?

Actually it's "Mashed Potato Time"; but Dan Quayle thanks you for your support.

der Brucer (obviously a fan of Republican spelling!)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2004, 08:44:39 AM »

Oh my with all this deep philosophical talk, I think I will have to read The Fountainhead again today.

Is that the one by John Galt?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2004, 08:48:05 AM »

One of my favorite records on the Motown label is Irene Ryan singing "In Just No Time at All."

Label or not, this is still a Broadway show-stopper! (One I was fortunate enough to see!)

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2004, 08:52:31 AM »

Good morning!

And, YES, I actually got up in the morning!  I kind of lounged in bed from 6:30 to 8:00 listening to NPR, but I finally dragged my keester out of bed, and I was at the grocery store by 8:15!  And there was still a decent selection of 1/2 price and dollar items in the thrift section too!  I picked up some spicy turkey sausage, beef short ribs (I have a great and very easy Moroccan recipe for short ribs), and a pot roast.  -And the pot roast is currently in the slow cooker - Mexican Style!  Well... *Oh, I did buy more than just meat - vegetables, sundries, etc.  And I had my handy-dandy coupons with me, as well as a $10.00-off coupon from my bank!

But I still can't believe I was up before 10:45!  It's amazing how much more one can do when one actually has more hours in the day to do them! ;)

Motown: As DR Kerry sort of mentioned, I believe my favorite Motown recording is the OCR of Pippin.  -And it wasn't until I actually played the show for the first time, that I noticed the piano player is given a separate credit in the credits.  *Anyone know if there is any "story" behind this arrangement?

Otherwise, I find most Motown material fun to listen to - and it's music that makes me dance.  (Ah, a Funny Girl reference!)  The Supremes, The Jackson 5 (Are the cartoons available on DVD?), Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder...

As for last night's American Idol... I actually missed the first 15 minutes since I was "distracted" by the repeat of "The Apprentice" over on NBC.  But I changed channels just in time to catch the announcement of Matthew being moved on to the top 3 for the round.  And watching him "hug" Ryan Seacrest was actually kind of funny.  Unfortunately, as DR RLP pointed out, the rest of Ryan Seacrest's schtick died on delivery.  -But how else are they gonna stretch the announcement of the two finalists into 30 minutes?  -Well, probably more like 22-24 minutes.

Oh, and then came Camile... YIKES!  I'm not sure if there is a Bjork-factor involved... However, after thinking about it for a little bit, she has been one of the most honest and sincere contestants, so far - and when she sings, she really gets into it - even if her nerves and subsequent lack of pitch get the best of her.  And maybe her personality and "pop" just isn't making it through all the satellites, cables, and wires.

Even when Matthew sang, he started off a little pitchy - just like he did on Monday night.  -And I kept wanting him to break into "Just the Two of Us" since the songs have similar grooves.  And I think would be a better song for him too! ;)

However, I did get a little riled up when they started running the credits and promos over the last half of his song.  They could have "found" that minute somewhere along the line with all those stupid teasers.  *And it even seemed that Ryan Seacrest was having to pad before each commercial break at times.

And is that "band" playing live?  Hmmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2004, 08:52:53 AM »

AMERICAN IDOL TALK:

I think their message boards (idolonfox.com) give a real indication of how the public is thinking.  Hawaiian Girl has tons of fans it seems.  I was not at all surprised that she received the most votes, especially because of the raves the judges gave her the night before.

I was trying to pinpoint why I like her. And I think it's partly because she really evoked emotion. She was the only singer, that really touched me.

I wasn't suprised that Matthew/football guy was in the top 3.  But I was surprised that he beat Lisa (red-head).  I thought she had a very strong performance on Tuesday night.  And I feel like she really got shafted.  I suspect the judges will probably choose her for the wild card show (along with the guy who finished 3rd last week).  But I don't know if she will go farther than that.

Did anyone else find it interesting that the top 2 last night got 56% of the votes? That means that the other 6 really did poorly.

Btw, I was very disappointed that there wasn't enough time at the end of the show to hear the judges reactions.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2004, 09:01:42 AM »

Oh - Welcome New DR Dan (the Man)!

-What's your 411? (as the "kidz" say... or used to say.. "Bling-Bling!"?)

You're under no obligation to share, but it would be greatly appreciated.  And there's also no time limit or time frame to fulfill either!

Welcome to BK's Living Room!

*You can search the archives for that reference. ;)

... and now DR Jose is wondering if he's scared new DR Dan (the Man)...

OH - Just finished watching "The View" - there's nothing else on here during the 11-Noon slot worth watching so... They had some cast members from "CSI" on... Can George Eads be more handsome?!?!?

-And are those Airport and Abbott & Costello sets really under $20.00???  If so, I may have some more DVD's to add to my "To Be Watched" pile!  :P

Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2004, 09:07:11 AM »

DR Jose: Did you know that in your picture you are holding cake, and it's making me hungry :)

Some earlier posts made me think about what I would eat if I had to gain weight.  I think I would like some poutine.  And Chinese food.  And ice cream.

I will stop there, since I know some of us are on diets (including me). :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2004, 09:08:20 AM »

-And the pot roast is currently in the slow cooker - Mexican Style!

Well now, we just bought a new slow cooker yesterday, Mexican is good, SWW's last attempt at pot roast did not get ****, so how about a recipe for Mexican Pot Roast!

der Brucer - I know...first you chop and onion....

(::must not make stupid crocked Chihuahua joke::)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2004, 09:15:10 AM »

Having seen the 2 AirPLANE films I can no longer watch the AirPORT films without breaking up.  It's like seeing a "Forbidden Broadway" version of a show before seeing the actual show or going to THE MAGIC FLUTE and not thinking of Florence Foster Jenkins during the Queen of the Night Act 2 Aria.

When I was a kid and "Jaws" was in the theaters, my dad, my sister and I went to see it.  I was probably 8 or 9 years old.  My sister and I ran out of the theater a couple of times because we were so scared.  My dad was laughing the whole way through it because he had recently watched the Carol Burnett spoof of the movie with Harvey Korman playing the fishing captain role.  He was fishing for the shark out of Carol's apartment toilet!  I've seen it in clips since then and it is hysterical!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2004, 09:15:16 AM »

Well now, we just bought a new slow cooker yesterday, Mexican is good, SWW's last attempt at pot roast did not get ****, so how about a recipe for Mexican Pot Roast!

Do we fill in the blank with our own words, or was there a specific word you had in mind? :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2004, 09:16:33 AM »

I adore Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.  I love My Guy and Shop Around and all those songs.  They really hold up, too.  I once directed a club act for Penny Peyser and I put together a huge medley of Mowtown songs (she loved Motown) called A Mowtown Love Story, where I made the songs tell one long story.  She was not only the lead singer, she was her own backup trio.  It was fun.

The Universal Franchise packages are amazing, all under twenty bucks.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2004, 09:16:59 AM »

WELCOME (DAN the Man)!  :)

George

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2004, 09:18:21 AM »

And Welcome to (new) Dear Reader "Dan (the Man)"...not to be confused with Dan-in-Toronto.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #50 on: February 19, 2004, 09:19:48 AM »

I only know a few specific Motown songs/singers...and they've all been mentioned.  "Ain't No Mountain High Enough," Diana Ross & the Supremes, "My Guy" and Pippin.  That's about it.  Now off to work!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #51 on: February 19, 2004, 09:32:25 AM »

And I didn't realize how much I could enjoy Jane Powell and Howard Keel! They really are good!

Must get to the many boxes - must find Playbill collection!
I think I saw both Powell and Keel in LA productions of "South Pacific" and "I Do, I Do" - and suspect I saw Penny O in "A Doll's Life".

der over=whelmed with moving Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #52 on: February 19, 2004, 09:33:59 AM »

der Brucer - I know...first you chop and onion....

(::must not make stupid crocked Chihuahua joke::)

Ummm... What do the *** stand for?  -Really, I can't figure them out.  I have some ideas, but...  "did not get EATEN" "did not get COOKED"  - what four-letter word fits? ???

As for Mexican Pot Roast... It's actually just something I threw in the pot - literally...

Coarsely chop 3 small onions (or 2 medium) - or how many of whatever-sized ones you'd like) - basically, "to taste" or whatever covers the bottom of the pot.

Crush and coarsely chop 2 or 3 cloves of garlic - or, again, "to taste".  *Remember, if you want more garlic flavor, then do more chopping and mincing.  Subsequently, if you just want a hint or so of garlic, just slice the cloves in half - or not - and mix them up with the onions.

Take your beef roast - whatever cut you happen to prefer (but the cheaper the better for these slow-cooked affairs) - and season it with cumin, oregano, salt, pepper - and cayenne pepper if you'd like.  *I also lightly season the onions and garlic with the spices.

*OH!! since I'm doing the low carb thing... If you'd like to add potatoes, carrots, celery, etc... -OH, I meant to add celery!! Oops...  Add half of those vegetables with the onions before you put the beef in... then place the remaining half of the vegetables over the beef.

Open up two small cans of diced green chiles.  Open up a can of nice homesyle salsa - or you can make your own.  I happened to use a hot tomato-based salsa this morning.  I also like using a salsa verde too.   Dump said contents of cans over beef (and vegetables) into pot.  Add about another 1/2 cup of water over everything.

Turn slow cooker on LOW, and go away.... Clean the house, watch TV, post here on HHW, was the car, put away books, CDs, DVDs, bring boxes down to the basement....  Depending upon the size of your roast, you should have something very yummy in about 6-9 hours.  Sometimes 10-12.  -Check your manufacturer's guide for a better idea of cooking times. ;)

Well, I think that's Mexican Style.... -I'll be serving mine with a nice green salad with some homemade guacamole.  *The avocados are on sale this week!  Damn, I need limes!!  Ah, well...

So, in short....

CHOP: 2 to 3 onions, 1-3 cloves of garlic, 2-4 medium potatoes, 1-3 stalks of celery.

SEASON: Roast (eye, bottom round, rump, etc.) with cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and cayenne to taste.

PLACE: 1/2 vegetables in slow cooker, then roast, then the remaining vegetable.

DUMP: 2 cans diced green chiles, 1 small can of salsa (6-8 oz.), and 1/2 cup water.  *However tempted you may get, do not add a lot of water.

COOK: On LOW until fork tender.

EAT, ENJOY!

*I only have a 3 quart slow cooker, so if you happen to have a larger one, then adjust the quantities to your pleasing.

Mine should be nice and ready as soon as I get back from class tonight!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: February 19, 2004, 09:36:01 AM »

DR MBarnum - Do you happen to know if there is such an organization as BA - Bollywood Anonymous?  ;-)

30(!) Hindi soundtracks?!?!
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: February 19, 2004, 09:38:03 AM »

Now I want to say that I have heard about Motown, but with the exception of Diana Ross and the Supremes and the Jackson 5 (with all that's been written about them) I really don't know their roster.

But saying that I was never a fan of the Jackson 5, The Jacksons or Michael Jackson or any of the Jacksons. I did like the Supremes even when they became The Dreamgirls.

DR Tomovoz listed some of the other singers and I have heard of them, but didn't know that they recorded for the label.

I with one exception (really for the producer) never buy recordings just because it is label.

Ah, but Michael, Motown was not just a label, but a sound.  The Motown / Detroit sound was as influential as the rockabilly sound was to rock music.  I am quite sure that Tomovoz could better explain the whole evolution of the Motown sound, but the impact on the music industry was huge.  The Temptations, Smokey Robinson, The Supremes, Martha Reeves all had an enormous effect on this racially-sheltered white boy back in the Sixties.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: February 19, 2004, 09:38:47 AM »

A Barbara Hale and Hearty welcome to Dan (the Man) - it's ever so much more fun here than at ratm.  No bullyboys here.  

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: February 19, 2004, 09:46:28 AM »

DR Jose: So you're on the low carb thing too?  There is this website, sndcanada. com (i think that is the name) that sells all kinds of atkins stuff.I am totally addicted to the atkins peanut butter cups and the caramel chews (that taste exactly like chocolate bars with only 2g carbs).

« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 09:47:38 AM by Jennifer »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2004, 09:48:36 AM »

Do Ben Vereen, John Rubenstein, Irene Ryan et. al. count as Motown artists since the OBC of PIPPEN was on that label?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2004, 10:08:41 AM »

Welcome Dan the Man!

Motown - I wanted to be a black chick, man! (Which if you saw me, would realize is hilarious.) I'd do the moves in front of the mirror while singing along with the Supremes and I was HOT. A girl group of one.
James Baldwin was the one who made me want to be black. I read GIOVANNI'S ROOM when I was way too young to read such things. And I loved it, just loved it. Went on to devour all his books and wrote him a fan letter in which I said that up until reading him I was afraid that somewhow I'd wake up one morning and be black -- because being Jewish and not looking Jewish, it was easy to hide -- but if you're black, you're black. I went on to say that after reading his stuff, I realized that I could deal with being black, in fact wanted to be black. Power to the people. He never answered my letter. Gee, wonder why?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2004, 10:32:35 AM »

Well, I was WRONG about Jerry Butler being a MOTOWN artist, but what a GREATartist...For Your Precious, He Will Break Your Heart, Make It Easy On Yourself, Hey Western Union Man, Only The Strong Survive, What's The Use Of Breaking Up, Let It Be.

As for Motown,  another great Mary Wells' song: The One Who Really Loves You.  I loved Smokey Robinson and The Miracles:  Mickey's Monkey, You Really Got a Hold On Me, Better Shop Around.  Marvelletes: Please, Mr. Postman & Beechwood 45789.  Eddie Holland: Jamie.  Martha & The Vandellas:  Come and Take These Memories.

MBarnum, neither the Orlons or Dee Dee Sharp were Motown, but some damned good songs.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up