Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DEEP SENTENCES  (Read 25711 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
DEEP SENTENCES
« on: February 19, 2004, 12:04:02 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know you have, therefore you are quite the expert on the notes, therefore you have the ability to make wise and piquant postings.  To it, shall we?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 12:04:46 AM by bk »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
Re:DEEP SENTENCES
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2004, 12:25:14 AM »

BK, yes, THE DAMNED is a very perverse and strange, and dark, film.  But I remember being mesmerized by it the first time (and probably the only time...except for snatches here and there on cable) I saw it.  I also remember finding the score quite wonderful.  I have the original soundtrack record, but haven't played it I years.  Nor do I remember the composer off the top of my head.

I don't believe I have ever seen any of the AIRPORT movies.  For some reason, I could just never care.

Get back to you on Motown, but at the top of my list is JERRY BUTLER!

I have never much cared for the Supremes.

To answer Tomovoz,  My research into Mr.  McDaniels told me more about his career post-his pop hits where he became Eugene McDaniel and started composing and singing sort of jazz/blues/folkish/cultural message songs.  Though I did find one CD where he sings, in addition to some of his hits, some standard pop stuff that looks interesting...stuff like It's All In The Game, which our own, the-reason-we-are-all-gathered-here, Mr. Guy Haines does a pretty great rendition of himself.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2004, 12:26:43 AM »

Well, wowie-kazowie! Whattya know?  First post after our host's intro post.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 12:29:12 AM »

Howcum my two previous posts both read 399?  shouldn't I be hitting four hundred after 399?

Tomovoz

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2004, 12:30:33 AM »

Motown Favourites:
1. Marvin Gaye "I Heard It Through the Grape Vine"
2. Marvin Gaye & Kim Weston "It Takes Two"
3. The Supremes & the Temptations "Rhythm Of Life"
4. Michael Jackson "Ben"
5. Mary Wells "My Guy"
6. Diana Ross & the Supremes "In and Out Of Love"
7. Supremes "Nathan Jones"
8. Four Tops "Walk Away Renee"
9. Supremes "My World Is Empty Without You"
10.Stevie Wonder "Sir Duke"

That's a start!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2004, 12:32:35 AM »

Oh, I get it!  It's just tabulating my total number, not assigning a number to each of my posts. How many do I need to attain divinity again?

Tomovoz

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2004, 12:33:13 AM »

With your next post Charles, all previous posts will number 401. Only your total number of posts is displayed. (I think that's how it works).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2004, 12:33:33 AM »

Too late! When you make your 501 post a great change will eventuate.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 12:34:37 AM by Tomovoz »
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2004, 12:35:32 AM »

Yes, Tomovoz!  Mary Wells right up there with Jerry Butler!  Gosh, you have awfully good taste in music if I do say so myself.  And it just happens to so often coincide with mine! Though I like Mary's You Beat Me To The Punch better than My Guy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2004, 12:45:46 AM »

Maurice Jarre is the composer of The Damned.  I've been watching Airport '75 - tres amusing, and I'll go into detail in tomorrow's notes.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2004, 12:51:12 AM »

Ah, yes, I remember why I liked THE DAMNED score so much.  It's Maurice Jarre.  I found the record.  I must play it tomorrow and see if it holds up.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2004, 03:12:07 AM »

It's 3 AM and I just woke up! I was dreaming that I was writing. And now I'm writing. A dream come true! Which leads me to an interesting question for the DRs.... Are there superstitions that you believe in even though you are otherwise a logical and sane person? For example, very few people will walk under a ladder. Nor will they feel quite secure if a black cat runs across the road in front of them - esp. on Friday the 13th. But I'm talking about the more "specialized" beliefs. I never put shoes on a table. Bad luck in Hungary. I try not to have my pillow upside-down (the pattern that is - if you can tell). A pillow found upside-down in the morning means that somebody will die. The morning of the day  my stepfather died, I woke with my pillow upside-down --- even though I always made sure that never happened. And the last one I'll list before going back to bed is why I thought of this in the first place: If you dream something particularly good or nasty and that is the first thing you talk about in the morning, it will come true. I think that's a Newfoundland belief.
Back to bed.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 03:16:12 AM by Panni »

Michael

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2004, 04:05:18 AM »

Now I want to say that I have heard about Motown, but with the exception of Diana Ross and the Supremes and the Jackson 5 (with all that's been written about them) I really don't know their roster.

But saying that I was never a fan of the Jackson 5, The Jacksons or Michael Jackson or any of the Jacksons. I did like the Supremes even when they became The Dreamgirls.

DR Tomovoz listed some of the other singers and I have heard of them, but didn't know that they recorded for the label.

I with one exception (really for the producer) never buy recordings just because it is label.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2004, 04:06:28 AM »

Tomofoz:

Is your #3 choice the song from Sweet Charity or another song with the same title?
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2004, 05:34:12 AM »

I was E & T yesterday. One of the companies I work for has moved to a distant suburb. I've become spoiled working at home, as yesterday's long commute reminded me.

DR Noel, you did, of course, answer the question correctly. Jon Cryer (Pretty in Pink, Two and a Half Men) is indeed the son of Gretchen Cryer and David Cryer - both connected with some of our off-Broadway favorites. (David co-produced Now Is the Time for All Good Men and appeared in both that show and Streets of New York; Gretchen wrote the book and lyrics of I'm Getting My Act Together, Now Is the Time, and others.)

DR Panni. Superstitions? First, I would never know if my pillow is upside-down. All my pillowcases are white. Sideways, maybe. But upside-down?

Just don't ask me about a black bird in the house! Years ago I read that a black bird in the house (I don't think we're talking about pets) means death. And I remembered clearly that shortly before my dad died, a bird had flown into our apartment - and my dad had to coax it gently out the window. Since then, whenever I see a pigeon on my balcony, I triple check that the balcony door is closed tightly. (And then, when I venture out to clean the pigeon crap, I make sure the door is totally shut behind me.)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 05:44:28 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jennifer

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2004, 06:13:14 AM »

Good morning all!

I was reading about DR Panni's predicament last night.  Wow, I WOULD LOVE to be in your shoes and need to gain weight.  Now that sounds like a dream. And I certainly would have NO trouble :)

td

• td
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2004, 06:21:52 AM »

I watched THE DAMNED last night, too.
Well, most of it.  I will admit that I took it up to the scene before "The night of the long knives;" but what I saw and heard was mesmerizing.  Tonight when I finish it up, I'll see about that tightness at the top of the screen.
It certainly is not an easy film to sit through, and it shouldn't be.  Despite its length, I feel that it moves quicker than DEATH IN VENICE.
I really, really like the front cover art on THE DAMNED, too.
Funny thing about the score, I find no overt resemblences to other Jarre scores - - A PASSAGE TO INDIA's score got my goat, since it seemed (IMHO) to be nothing but a retread of his own score for RYAN'S DAUGHTER; one can even sing "It was a good time, it was the best time. . ." to the opening strains of PASSAGE.
Well, off to work, where I'll think Motown!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2004, 06:24:00 AM »

Ingrid Thulin....so beautiful.   :'(

I like AIRPORT - especially Maureen Stapleton (who should have WON the Oscar instead of whatsherirritatingfacewhoisawful) and Van Heflin - and Jean Seberg who looks like Faye Dunaway as Joan Crawford!  I LOVE AIRPORT '75 with Karen Black landing the plane just like Doris Day in Julie!!!!!

Holland-Dozier-Holland are my favorite Motown composers....but there were some guys who went out later at The Chairmen of the Board that I really liked as well!  Favorite Motown single would have to be one previously mentioned "It Takes Two" by Marvin and Kim!  That brass section rocks!!!!  ;D

Oh my with all this deep philosophical talk, I think I will have to read The Fountainhead again today.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2004, 06:24:45 AM »

I was reading about DR Panni's predicament last night.  Wow, I WOULD LOVE to be in your shoes and need to gain weight.  Now that sounds like a dream. And I certainly would have NO trouble.

I once drafted a letter to the NY Times' ethicist, though never sent it. When my mom was ill, I was given strict instructions to fatten her up. The only thing that sort of worked was a milkshake made with cream, Haagen-Dazs ice cream, bananas, peanut butter and (sorry) some vegetable oil. My mom insisted on sharing this shake with Rita, her zaftig homemaker who came by twice a week. Rita really enjoyed it. She certainly didn't need it. And I never had the heart to give her a complete list of ingredients. So what was the ethical thing to do? Make her a lower-cal version (with the underlying message that she was fat)? Tell her that a glassful matched or exceeded my daily caloric intake? Or keep my mouth shut?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 06:27:14 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2004, 06:29:21 AM »

I liked some of the early Motown, but by the time they got to "Diana Ross & The Supremes Sing Funny Girl" I had moved on.

Having seen the 2 AirPLANE films I can no longer watch the AirPORT films without breaking up.  It's like seeing a "Forbidden Broadway" version of a show before seeing the actual show or going to THE MAGIC FLUTE and not thinking of Florence Foster Jenkins during the Queen of the Night Act 2 Aria.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Kerry

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2004, 06:33:41 AM »

One of my favorite records on the Motown label is Irene Ryan singing "In Just No Time at All."

I love Martha and the Vandellas singing "(Love is Like a) Heat Wave"   Very hard to sit stilll through that song.  Very infectious song.

I'll admit I like Diana Ross's "Solo" version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough."  How can you listen to it in the privacy of your own living room and NOT lip synch to it-- let alone choreograph it?)

I like the Supremes and Temptations (or is it the Four Tops?) version of "I'm Gonna Make You Love Me"

And I can't think of the artist now, but the song is "What Does It Take to Win Your Love?"

I like Michael Jackson's version of "Never Can Say Goodbye," but it's a song I like anyway.  I prefer Gloria Gaynor's version (but she wasn't on Motown, or was she?)

I love all of Aretha, but she was on Arista or Atlantic, so we can't include her.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 06:34:45 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2004, 06:34:10 AM »

Jose wrote last night:

"And did you change rooms so you wouldn't have a "large actor" above you?"

Nope - the room on the first floor, which was mine for 10 days, is his whenever he's here. He's over 80 years old, and very portly, and has bad knees, and can't climb stairs. And his wife comes with him. So that very large apartment is better suited to him.

I must say, however, that having the whole cast of Skin of our Teeth overhead, especially one (he shall remain nameless) actor -- whose habits include drinking at the pub 'til all hours and shlepping his rather large frame loudly up the stairs at 2 or 3 am, and clunking around for quite awhile before retiring -- directly above me, wrought havoc with my sleepage.

(is that DEEP enough a sentence???)

Nu, they are all departed now, and I seem to have the whole building to myself. Upshot, I slept 8 hours last night and woke feeling so refreshed!! Mind you, I DID move the TV table into my bedroom - with much refrangulation of extension cords - and maybe that had something to do with it, too!

Another spectacularly beautiful day! The tech crew are hanging drapes and moving the grand piano up onto the stage today -- no more rehearsing in the lobby!! -- and this afternoon we spike my few props. Tomorrow morn, they tune the piano and I have my tech session, and a Q2Q, and then the run-thru - and day after tomorrow, it's Magic Time!!! Oh, HAPPY ME!!!!
PennyO

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2004, 06:40:22 AM »

Having seen the 2 AirPLANE films I can no longer watch the AirPORT films without breaking up.  It's like seeing a "Forbidden Broadway" version of a show before seeing the actual show or going to THE MAGIC FLUTE and not thinking of Florence Foster Jenkins during the Queen of the Night Act 2 Aria.

Meanwhile, when I see Helen Hayes (she played the lovable old stowaway, Ada Quonsett) - in anything - all I can think of is Mad Magazine's takeoff on her character, "Ima Cutsie."

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2004, 06:40:31 AM »

Oh - and I love Marvin Gaye: Heard it Through the Grapevine. Lots of others, too, of course, but that's the one that pops into my head. Can't sit still. It has Immortality about it...
PennyO

Kerry

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2004, 06:50:44 AM »

"Master and Commander" and "Big Fish" are both on sale already.  I haven't seen either, but I'm pretty sure I played "Master and Commander" once. :o ;D :-X
I like boat races.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2004, 06:59:11 AM »

BK, as I read your line about "life is what you do" I was listening to Brent Barrett singing the same!  I missed a lot of the early Motown because of college and had, at that point, a pretty near disregard for pop music, which now seems to me so much better than a lot of what's passing for pop music today; will I feel the same about this  millenium material in another 20-30 years if I live that long?

So, as far as Motown goes, I thought the Supremes were a hoot, and I loved their Rodgers & Hart album, as well as a lot of their singles.

Others:
Mary Wells "My Guy"
The Marvelettes "Mr Postman"
Stevie Wonder "You Are the Sunshine of My Life"

I realized that when I think of Motown, I think of a lot of girl groups who were never signed, to my knowledge, to Motown.  I never cared for the Jackson 5, and this disregard extends to the current Jackson family and their whimsical behavior as well.

BK, as an occasional whiner myself, I've found that the worst whiners are the ones who, when confronted with the reasons for the decisions they are unhappy with, are unable to process the facts and move on.  I know New Yorkers who are fans of your work but always complain about the artistic decisions:  why didn't Sandy Duncan record on the Peter Pan album? why did you make this decision about treating a song? why didn't you record this song?  When I give the reasons for decisions ranging from the singer was unavailable or the singer turned it down to the writer couldn't find the song (remember that long list of sons cut from "Cabaret" by Kander & Ebb?) to situations in the studio and finding ways to make something work, they look blankly at me and start complaining again about the very same things!  A writer I know doing an article on John McGlinn's SHOW BOAT published a lot of wrong opinions I could have corrected if he'd simply called and asked me.  And now I'm whining, so I'll sign off.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2004, 07:05:19 AM »

Hi, Everybody!  First time posting here. (And, by the looks of things, another ratm'er who's seeking greener pastures.)

I remember watching AIRPORT the first time it was on broadcast TV--on ABC Sunday Night at the Movies.  And it really was an event at our house.  The entire family watched (and I got to stay up past 11:00 pm.)  When the movie ended, it was a mad rush to the bathroom for everyone.  In fact, it was in the newpapers that week that water companies throughout the country reported a significant spike in water usage right at the time the movie ended.  Certainly true at our house.

Also, around the time I got my first VCR (about 1984), AIRPORT '77 was shown on a local channel and split to run on two consequtive nights.  This was a time when broadcasters began tweaking with the running speed of movies they showed so they would fit into a two-hour period.  Well, something obviously went wrong when they decided to slow down the speed of AIRPORT '77, because the voices of all the female characters dropped in pitch about an octive.  The results was that Brenda Vaccaro and Olivia DeHavilland sounded like drag queens.  My roommate and I were literally rolling on the floor.  When his girlfriend came in she thought we were stoned.  I think I still have the last half of the movie on tape somewhere.

Big time Motown fan here.  I grew up with two older sisters during the 60's and that music got filtered down to me.  My sisters were particularly into the Supremes, and I remember that Diana Ross' departure caused as much anxiety as the whole "Paul is dead" deal.  For some reason, my favorite Supremes song was an obscure B side called "Going Down For The Third Time".  I think it may have been because it sounded very much like one of the songs of my other favorite girl group at the time--Josie and the Pussycats (Hey--I was just 10.  I didn't have to have any taste then!)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 07:10:35 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2004, 07:35:48 AM »

Yes, DinTo....me, too...RE:Mad Magazine's Helen Hayes!

Welcome to elmore and Dan the Man.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2004, 07:36:09 AM »

DRs MBARNUM & KERRY you have mail on the way!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2004, 07:42:45 AM »

A warm and hearty WELCOME to Dan (the Man). Glad you are joining us.

Didn't listen to Motown. I was much too busy adoring Donny Osmond to care about anything else.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up