Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: DEEP SENTENCES  (Read 25782 times)

Ben

Re:DEEP SENTENCES
« Reply #60 on: February 19, 2004, 10:34:46 AM »

I am working on a presentation for tomorrow afternoon so I haven't been posting much today.

Welcome, Dan (the Man).

I loved the Motown Girl Groups, the Marvelettes, the Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas. I loved Mary Wells, and I loved Stevie Wonder. What memories. A little white kid in Coon Rapids (yes, for you newcomers that is the name of the city in which I grew up), Minnesota dancing around to the Supremes. Oh, what a time.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 10:36:09 AM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #61 on: February 19, 2004, 10:40:15 AM »

LOL DRRLP I WAS being nice re: Helen Hayes.  And like you, I give the acting honors to Maureen Stapleton although everyone was good.  

PIPPIN on Motown, that's right....I thought it was strange even at the time.

John Galt in in "The Fountainhead" only philosophically DRderBrucer.

And as for Vivian Blaine dating the very young JMK when he was a kid....well I am shocked!

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #62 on: February 19, 2004, 10:43:07 AM »

While I was glad that the footballer...who I think will get stronger...made it on American Idol, I thought the red-head should have made it before Hawaiian girl...I still don't understand why the judges treat her with velvet gloves.  If anything, she sang worse than she did the previous night.  She was all over the place with her song.

I think that maybe they should have a "no vote" button.  And if the talent is mediocre and doesn't get a minimum amount of votes, they can wipe the slate clean and get in another eight.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #63 on: February 19, 2004, 10:51:25 AM »

Speaking of THE FOUNTAINHEAD, my ex-agent used to call me the Howard Roark of screenwriters because I was so damned uncompromising.  While flattering, it wasn't quite true...I wasn't quite to the point that I'd go off and work in a quarry, breaking rock, or blow up my compromised work for my principles. Uncompromising, yes...Quixotic? Not to the point that I can't tell the difference between a novel and real life.

I love the movie, THE FOUNTAINHEAD, by the way.  King Vidor, the director, always thought Cary Cooper was miscast and Howard Roark should have been played by someone like Humphrey Bogart.  I couldn't disagree more. He was absolutely wrong! I don't think anyone defined uncompromising integrity on the screen better than Gary Cooper.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: February 19, 2004, 10:55:39 AM »

While I was glad that the footballer...who I think will get stronger...made it on American Idol, I thought the red-head should have made it before Hawaiian girl...I still don't understand why the judges treat her with velvet gloves.  If anything, she sang worse than she did the previous night.  She was all over the place with her song.

I think that maybe they should have a "no vote" button.  And if the talent is mediocre and doesn't get a minimum amount of votes, they can wipe the slate clean and get in another eight.

DR Charles Pogue:  You said an ever-loving mouthful!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 10:56:09 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: February 19, 2004, 10:57:38 AM »

"Master and Commander" and "Big Fish" are both on sale already.  I haven't seen either, but I'm pretty sure I played "Master and Commander" once. :o ;D :-X
Played as in "It's a board game," right?

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2004, 11:04:19 AM »

I loved the Motown Girl Groups, the Marvelettes, the Supremes, Martha & The Vandellas. I loved Mary Wells, and I loved Stevie Wonder. What memories. A little white kid in Coon Rapids (yes, for you newcomers that is the name of the city in which I grew up), Minnesota dancing around to the Supremes. Oh, what a time.

OMG.  One of the people I met at the guest house I stayed at over the weekend was originally from Coon Rapids.  I still think it sounds like a fictional place name, like Dog Patch.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 11:05:55 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2004, 11:04:44 AM »

I'll admit I like Diana Ross's "Solo" version of "Ain't No Mountain High Enough."  How can you listen to it in the privacy of your own living room and NOT lip synch to it-- let alone choreograph it?)
Ah, yes, Motown.  The true inspiration for a generation of drag queens.  (A Brenda Vaccaro reference!)

I can remember a restaurant der Brucer and I enjoyed in London, very spohisticated food and service, that had Diana and company playing as background music the entire time.  It was, shall we say, as well matched to the meal as an Italian restaurant (not in London), where we listened to John Denver's musical stylings.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 11:09:18 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

MBarnum

« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2004, 11:10:44 AM »

LOL Jose, I think I need intervention!

Here is an e-mail from my mom from this morning. She mentioned to my nephew that she had seen JFK when he visited Oregon when he was running for President. I knew that she had gone to see him, but she had never told me the rest of the story, so here it is for everyone's amusement: (picture my mom all dressed up with cat-eye glasses driving a 1959 blue Ford station wagon):

Oh, Kennedy had given a speech at Hawthorne Park. I went to hear and see him and had parked in the Sears lot. After the speech I went to my car and was driving in the traffic lane of the parking lot when his limo cut across the lanes and almost hit me. We both stopped and I waved them on by as he had more important things to do than I did. I think he waved back but it was difficult to tell since the windows were darkened somewhat. It was kinda cool. Often wondered what would have happened if they had run into me  :o

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2004, 11:18:41 AM »

Quite a few people in attendance also, but one annoying teenage girl who laughed at everything she thought was ridiculous (obviously she thinks older movies are below her...and I was ready to throttle her after awhile!).
Why does this give me the mental picture of Barbara Lawrence as Gertie Cummings?   :-\

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2004, 11:21:43 AM »

I hate when I have to log in to post.  I don’t know why that happens so often.  

Favorite Motown artists are: Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson, Temptations, the Four Tops, and Stevie Wonder.  I was never a fan of the girl groups.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2004, 11:22:33 AM »

Obviously, I am a Motown fan, hence the TCB name.  They are my actual initials, and they do sound better than being called TB (not a great nickname back in the 50s), but I still started calling myself “TCB” after the television special of the same name back in 1968.  Now granted, by then, Elvis had been wearing his famous TCB (Taking Care of Business) ring for years, but I wasn’t that big of a fan of The King, so I was totally unaware of that connection.  However, the TV special, TCB starring Diana Ross and The Supremes, and the Temptations, was one of my favorites of all time.  I think I completely wore out the LP.

When all the other kids were getting into The Beatles and The Stones in high school I was into Motown, and in particular, The Supremes.  I went to see them in concert in Seattle (alone, naturally) back in ’68, and I don’t think that it even occurred to me then, that I was one of only a handful of white people in the audience.  I figured out in advance where the three of them would be making their entrance to the stage, and I maneuvered my way down there so that I was in the front row of the barricade when they came out of their dressing room.  They passed within inches of me, and I got a smile and a hello from each of them.  I was in heaven.    I literally cried the day I heard Florence Ballard had died.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And here is another vote for Maureen Stapleton for Best Supporting Actress in Airport.  She tore my heart out with that performance.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2004, 11:25:07 AM »

Vivian Blaine playing Zorba?  Now that must have been strange.
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2004, 11:26:16 AM »

Dan-in-Toronto I remember my father trying to get my mother to eat all sorts of creamy fattening foods.  I, with my big mouth, would have likely mentioned something to Rita regarding the calories.  If you think about it, I’m sure she knew.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2004, 11:29:08 AM »

LOL Jose, I think I need intervention!

Well.. let me see... If I take the 4:00 to Chicago O'Hare, then the connecting flight to...  -Oh, and be sure to be wearing the red shirt!

Here is an e-mail from my mom from this morning. She mentioned to my nephew that she had seen JFK when he visited Oregon when he was running for President. I knew that she had gone to see him, but she had never told me the rest of the story, so here it is for everyone's amusement: (picture my mom all dressed up with cat-eye glasses driving a 1959 blue Ford station wagon):

Oh, Kennedy had given a speech at Hawthorne Park. I went to hear and see him and had parked in the Sears lot. After the speech I went to my car and was driving in the traffic lane of the parking lot when his limo cut across the lanes and almost hit me. We both stopped and I waved them on by as he had more important things to do than I did. I think he waved back but it was difficult to tell since the windows were darkened somewhat. It was kinda cool. Often wondered what would have happened if they had run into me  :o

LOL!

Funny, as soon as I finished reading that, all I could think of... What if that little speech was in Steel Magnolias?  Huh?  Just ass a great southern accent, and Voila!  Hmm... Maybe they could add it to the it's-been-announced-but-we'll-see-if-it-happens production of Steel Magnolias that is supposed to open on Broadway next season!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2004, 11:31:26 AM »

I meant to mention this earlier.  Did anyone watch Good Morning America today?  I nearly fell to the floor laughing.  They showed a clip of William Hung (the little Chinese guy who sang "She Bang" on American Idol).  People are PAYING HIM MONEY TO SING.

The clip was him as the half time act at some volleyball game.  I think they said he was being paid $25, 000 (but not sure if it was just for this one event).  

Anyhow, they had him singing "She bang", and he had back up dancers and everything. And it was totally hysterical (since English isn't his first language and he really cannot sing).

Too funny :)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2004, 11:31:26 AM »

You know what? I really hate in-class essay exams. I have my own very successful system for writing essays which includes procrastinating, staying up all night the night before it's due, lying on my futon, watching TV, eating peanut butter M&Ms and drinking Cherry Coke, and somehow managing to write an essay. For some reason, teachers don't appreciate when I try to do this for the in-class essays.

So I stayed up most of the night memorizing facts and stuff like that and, you know, watching TV, eating peanut butter M&Ms, and wishing I had some Cherry Coke. I just took the test, and now I can't remember anything that I had memorized. Isn't it interesting how that works out? I went to the cafeteria and bought two bottles of Cherry Coke, but I can't open either one of them. So for a while there, I was sitting outside the cafeteria looking like I was about to cry.

And in response to Panni's superstition thing, I put my textbook and my notes under my pillow last night during the three hours I was actually able to sleep.

And now I need to go worry about the test I have in my next class. I hope there's no essay.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2004, 11:36:49 AM »

Vivian Blaine playing Zorba?  Now that must have been strange.
Never argue with great talent.

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2004, 11:38:12 AM »

I hate when I have to log in to post.  I don’t know why that happens so often.  

DR Jane: When you go to haineshisway.com/community and it shows you're a guest, just click on today's topic and it should log you in automatically.  It does for me.  I also remember someone else mentioning they had this problem, and what I said worked.

(email me if this doesn't make sense to you).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2004, 11:38:37 AM »

I agree with DRCharlesPogue about Mr Gary Cooper's casting in THE FOUNTAINHEAD.  I like the movie a lot, although I am agog at the suggestion that the ENTIRE country would be up in arms about architecture!  

I also like Patricia Neal's story about after having seen a preview of the picture, Virginia Mayo grabbed her hands and said:  "Oh, my, you were bad, weren't you?"  Neal says for a long time she considered it a compliment on her character, until the reviews came out, and she realized it may have been a comment on....her....acting!  LOL
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2004, 11:39:54 AM »

I was reading about DR Panni's predicament last night.  Wow, I WOULD LOVE to be in your shoes and need to gain weight.  Now that sounds like a dream. And I certainly would have NO trouble :)

I have been in Panni’s shoes.  After each of my boys was born I had to gain weight.  That was fun.  It isn’t fun when stress causes you to forget to eat.  When Penny O went to Bethesda with me in October I was still stressed from my dealings in L.A. and she was under strict orders to make sure I ate. I remember the night in L.A. Bruce took me out to dinner & thankfully forced me to eat.  That is all over now and I am currently on an eating binge.  So, maybe a little forgetfulness would be nice about now. :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2004, 11:41:11 AM »

One of these days I'm going to have to seek out Stevie Wonder's Secret Life of Plants on CD.  I had it on vinyl, can't be in too good shape now considering how much I played it.  I remember that it wasn't very popular, not enough "hooks" or upbeat stuff to please his fans, but I thought it was a great piece of atmosphere and heartfelt.

But then, I'm a big Mike Oldfield fan, too.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2004, 11:41:36 AM »

DR Jennifer - My favorite local supermarket has quite a nice selection of low-carb foods - Atkins and otherwise.  I do like some of the "treats", but I also try not to eat them too often...

First and foremost, even though it's not real sugar, it still tastes like sugar to me.  Consequently, sometimes when I eat some of those sugar-free/low-carb snacks, I end up craving more sweets... preferably, the real stuff!  Good ole white sugar - or corn syrup - depending upon product.  So...  *However, I really do like those low carb ice creams out there...

Secondly, the "digestive" effect that some of those artificial sweetener can have on people... Well, sometimes my body is bit more sensitive to them.  So...  -But, as they say, too much of anything is (usually) bad.

Finally - A few years back, I started trying to eat more real food.  Nothing processed.  Nothing manufactured in a laboratory.  I know it's a virtually impossible and impractical goal in these days and times - especially with my wacko schedule - but I try to stay away from artificial anything.  -I guess this mindset started to set in when I really started getting into cooking at home.  Cooking can really be magical at times.  But I digress...  Again, I do like some of the low-carb treats out there, but sometimes I stop and think about just how much "stuff" is in some of those products.  And reading some product labels is truly like a chem lab inventory.  -Which is why I even started backing off the protein and energy bars.  It's always a little scary seeing the term "researched" on some packaging.  So...

Whenever it is practical - and I've planned things out - I try to eat as naturally as I can.  However, there are those times when a little Splenda, stevie, Equal or even Sweet & Low comes in handy.

*My favorite low-carb treat is that line of Belgian chocolate - of course, I can't remember the name right now.  Soo good!
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2004, 11:43:50 AM »

Jane said:

"I hate when I have to log in to post.  I don’t know why that happens so often."

Jane, this may not make any sense to you and if it doesn't, I apologize. I assume that when you log in you say Log In Forever. I found that happening to me also but I noticed that instead of clicking on Log In at the top of the page (where it says Good whatever Guest, please Log In or Register), if I scroll down to where it says
 Daily Discussions
This is the spot where we discuss today's daily column. Come on in and be a part of the unseemly action! and click on the words Daily Discussions, it takes me right to the Topic of the Day
(example) DEEP SENTENCES (new) <<1 2 3>>
Today's Unseemly Posts
I can then go to the posts without having to log in.
This only works if you have not cleaned out your cookie file. If you don't know what this means, it probably means you have NOT cleaned your cookies and you don't have to worry. It should work for you and you won't have to log in each time you come back to the Community Forum.

Ben

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2004, 11:44:50 AM »

Oops (spoo). I see Jennifer also answered Jane's question. Thanks, Jennifer  :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2004, 11:47:11 AM by Ben »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2004, 11:50:31 AM »

DR Jane: When you go to haineshisway.com/community and it shows you're a guest, just click on today's topic and it should log you in automatically.  It does for me.  I also remember someone else mentioning they had this problem, and what I said worked.

(email me if this doesn't make sense to you).

That doesn't always work, Jennifer.  I have been Logged In before, and I have even posted, and when I go to write another post I find that is has logged me out.  Just another example of your computer reminding you not to get too complacent!
“One thing’s universal,

Tomovoz

« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2004, 11:52:34 AM »

Tomofoz:

Is your #3 choice the song from Sweet Charity or another song with the same title?
Yes Michael - same song and it was big hit in Oz. I loathe the film version of the song.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: February 19, 2004, 11:53:07 AM »

OOOHHH!!!

And I cannot wait until next Monday's American Idol Special - The Loser's Special!  "Uncut, Uncensored, Untalented"!

Hey?!?!? - Just check the AI website, no mention of it.  Just checked Fox's website, no mention.  Hmm.  ???? I could have sworn I saw the promos last night.

Was I just dreaming?!?!?  Something else to blame on the lack of white sugar?!?!?  Maybe it's two weeks from now?!?!?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2004, 11:55:49 AM »

And, yes, I know I'm holding cake in my picture.  However, I also have pics of me holding cake in Orlando, in New York, in Chicago and LA.  -That one is me holding cake in Melbourne, AUS.

I also have a "holding appetizers" series if you'd like.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2004, 11:57:50 AM »

Panni my main superstition is to knock on wood.  I walk under ladders and enjoy a black cat anytime.  From experience I have learned to pay attention to my dreams.  I’m sure at least one of my dreams has prevented something terrible from happening.  Our youngest son was four at the time and we were taking our children & my brother’s children to the Pocono’s for a few nights.  The morning we were leaving I had a terrible, realistic dream our son fell off of a fire escape and died.  It was so real I relayed the dream to Keith.  Our hotel room was close to the fire escape.  Of course there is no explaining to five children why we have to walk ten minutes to go around the entire hotel to get back to the closest exit.  I walk down first, look up and there is the view from my dream.  Fortunately Keith takes my dreams seriously, and I assure you he held on very tightly to our son
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up