Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: IS A PUZZLEMENT II  (Read 34935 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re:IS A PUZZLEMENT II
« Reply #60 on: August 12, 2008, 08:16:12 AM »

I guess I need to get downstairs to check the mail and then start thinking about lunch.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: August 12, 2008, 08:19:36 AM »

I woke up with a sore throat, and my sinuses are free-flowing, which isn't good at all.

I'm hoping it's just another twist in the "allergy" syndrome cycle.

But who knows!!??
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: August 12, 2008, 08:19:37 AM »

Page Three Wicked Witch, Dorothy, and Glinda Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #63 on: August 12, 2008, 08:20:15 AM »

And now I'm REALLY going!

:D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: August 12, 2008, 08:21:06 AM »

So...

I'll be heading down to DC tomorrow.  I was thinking of heading down today, but after not getting that much sleep last night - and actually looking at my room this morning, well...  I have some organizing and arranging that I really should take care of before heading out of town, even if just for a few days.  -Which I will take care of later today, tonight.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2008, 08:21:23 AM »

I thought "The Closer" was a lot of fun last night.  Nobody plays smart-but-dumb better than Jennifer Coolidge, IMO!

So....I'm thinking "the son" inherits everything now...yes?  Or did his uncle have a wife and kids?

Edisaurus????     :D
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #66 on: August 12, 2008, 08:23:44 AM »

ComCast's "On Demand" has a Beijing Olympics section under one of its main categories (HD something...current events?).  Highlights of the games are featured there.

I'm hoping that men's relay that everyone was so "het up" about yesterday will be featured there today.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:54:23 AM by Ron Pulliam »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: August 12, 2008, 08:34:01 AM »

Hmm... Could this mean some healthier dining options for bk et al...

Fast-Food Curb Meets With Ambivalence in South Los Angeles

Los Angeles lawmakers are hoping they can legislate away the eating habits of Ms. Jackson and thousands of her neighbors. In July the City Council passed a one-year moratorium, now signed into law and effective as of last week, on any new fast-food restaurants in a 32-square-mile area south of Interstate 10, and the city is offering prospective owners of new grocery stores and non-fast-food restaurants large financial incentives to set up shop in the area.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: August 12, 2008, 08:40:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: HOMILY!
OH, LIMY, the Vicar is about to launch into another HOMILY about young girls and vacuum pumps!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #69 on: August 12, 2008, 08:42:06 AM »

In a TV interview, Michael Phelps, Olympic swimmer (6'3", <200lbs) said he has a hard time adding pounds on his recommended diet of 8,000-10,000 calories per day.

der Brucer

Which probably explains why his clothes keep slipping off.

:o

:D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: August 12, 2008, 08:45:26 AM »

I appreciate DR macchus' comments last night about "the game" and its intent.  Yes, it does get a lot of participation because we all enjoy fun.

I would like to point out that few of the names he and BK post in the initial flurry are names we would not know.  In fact, they are often the names that spring to mind most readily.  

We are a very erudite group of people -- and to suggest that movie composer names and sports names would be somehow beyond us seems a bit shortsighted.  "We", as a group, know quite a bit about many things, sports and movie scores included.

We do not, however, get a head start by knowing initials in advance so we aren't able to post them so rapidly from a pre-prepared list.  

I wonder....do the HHW forum members' names fall into BK's column?  If so, I don't think there could much of a contest!   :D

Again, I want to be very clear, even though I thought I had been:  No one, NO ONE but ME knows the initials in advance, and I only know them a teeny bit in advance.  macchus does not know them in advance.  I said before I normally think of them a couple of hours before posting the Sunday notes.  And I think you all know that I've been way too busy to worry about names in a game.  The longer you play the easier it is to come up with a flurry of names.  I have a particularly agile mind when it comes to this game, and I also have a patented way of coming up with names quickly that never fails - something I figured out early when macchus and I were playing this in the car.   No prepared lists or anything of the kind - if I think of things while I'm out jogging or doing errands, I jot them down so I don't forget them.  And macchus can't do anything in advance - he doesn't have the initals until he logs onto this site at midnight.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 08:50:17 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2008, 08:53:48 AM »

And I agree and have said so repeatedly how many great choices come up here every Monday, things I could kick myself for not thinking of.  But, I also know that I do like to post some of my obscure things that I really don't think people would get - like Adrian Marcato from Rosemary's Baby, or characters from my books or films.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: August 12, 2008, 08:54:30 AM »

Can we try not to post the winners names of shows like NEXT FOOD NETWORK STAR, TOP CHEF, PROJECT RUNWAY that are delayed by 6 weeks in canada.

:(

Aaron McCargo, Jr's, name was posted as part of the Name Game and required an explanation of who he is, since there are more people here who weren't waching Next Food Network Star than there are Canadians who post here.  The needs of the many outweighed the need of the one.

Besides, his prize for winning the contest, his own new show, has already started airing here in the US.  If I had posted instead that he is the host of Big Daddy's House, it would have been as much a giveaway as what was posted.  And since his show is only slated for a six-episode run, by the time NFNS airs in Canada he will already have become old news here in the States - deferring to Canada in this case is absurd.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: August 12, 2008, 08:57:02 AM »

Can I post that David Cook won the last "American Idol"?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #74 on: August 12, 2008, 09:03:49 AM »

TOD:
My favorite orchestral score of all time (any genre) is HOW THE WEST WAS WON.
I agree with it being a great score, and my all-time favorite vocal score.  I wore out the LP when I was a spring of a twig of a lad.

But I'm not a big Westerns fan.  In fact, I'm not a fan of any genre the encourages resolving conflicts with guns.

So, I guess my favorite Western would have to be The Unsinkable Molly Brown.  Everyone behaves quite nicely in that movie.  Well, pretty much.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: August 12, 2008, 09:05:23 AM »

DR Jennifer - Again... Have you thought of moving to the States?  ;)

On the other hand... You've also been providing some play-by-play for some of the Canada-only reality shows - "Canadian Idol" and "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?"... And who's to say that those shows may not get broadcast in the US at some point down the line?

We can all try to be "careful", but you also have to know that "slips" may happen from time to time.  But you also must know that by having all of us post spoiler warnings for any possible spoiler, well...  :-\  -Yes, it may take a few extra seconds, but part of the fun of posting is posting "on the spot" - not via tape delay, or broadcast delay.  And has been stated in the past, HHW is not the only source of spoilers.  (*I've been reading Seth Rudetsky's play-by-play on the Maria show - well, at least the one in London - I think...)

Does knowing the winner in advance really take away all the enjoyment of watching the competition for you?  Surely, it's not that disheartening.

And, again, it's just TV.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2008, 09:09:15 AM »

Since macchus made his intentions clear about the playing of the Initials Game and his at-its-roots rivalry with bk over the most names posted, let me aid their competitive fever by forever removing myself from all future competitions. I only post a few each week anyway so my contributions won't be missed, but knowing what's actually going on does not make it a fun experience for me any longer.
No, Matt, please continue to post your entries.  The competition between BK and macchus is just that, a competition between them.  It is not the entire game, nor the point of the game.  As I see it, the point of the game is information sharing - a way of getting each other to think, both of names to add to the list and a contemplation of the names that are already there.  Your contributions help make me think.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2008, 09:09:28 AM »

And how long would you like the moratorium to last?

Well if you know the shows are aired 2 months behind, then 2 months. :)

Actually i'm pretty sure you misunderstood what i meant. I don't care if you discuss the shows or if you mention the contestants. Just leave spoiler space so i won't read it.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:11:34 AM by Jennifer »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2008, 09:10:38 AM »

Since macchus made his intentions clear about the playing of the Initials Game and his at-its-roots rivalry with bk over the most names posted, let me aid their competitive fever by forever removing myself from all future competitions. I only post a few each week anyway so my contributions won't be missed, but knowing what's actually going on does not make it a fun experience for me any longer.
No, please continue to post!  The competition between BK and macchus is just that, a competition between them.  It is not the entire game, nor the point of the entire game.  As I see it, the point of the game is to share information, to get us all to think, both about new names to be added to the list and for a contemplation of the names that are already there.  Your contributions, and those of everyone else, help make me think.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2008, 09:13:05 AM by S. Woody White »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2008, 09:14:29 AM »

OY!

Did this really all have to come up again?!?!?!?

So... Maybe the whole solution to the whole SPOILER ALERT situation is to just not discuss those shows, programs, movies, etc., on this site.  Just take those discussions to sites exclusively devoted to talking about those shows.

Would that work for everybody?

*And, yes, I find this whole discussion stupid and frustrating.  We all know that we live in different time zones and different countries.  Just deal with it.  Reading and posting on this forum should be fun.  Not work.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2008, 09:16:15 AM »

If I have to leave spoiler space on every single post I make, then I'm leaving.

And I am not leaving.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: August 12, 2008, 09:16:35 AM »

And as for the Initials "Game", well.. since that has now seemed to rub some people the wrong way...

Maybe BK could just set that up as a separate "Daily Discussion" - like  "Juliana's Journal" was.  So, if you want to play, you can just click over there and play.  Then come back here and post about what true Topic of the Day there is.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: August 12, 2008, 09:17:44 AM »

Aaron McCargo, Jr's, name was posted as part of the Name Game and required an explanation of who he is, since there are more people here who weren't waching Next Food Network Star than there are Canadians who post here.  The needs of the many outweighed the need of the one.

Besides, his prize for winning the contest, his own new show, has already started airing here in the US.  If I had posted instead that he is the host of Big Daddy's House, it would have been as much a giveaway as what was posted.  And since his show is only slated for a six-episode run, by the time NFNS airs in Canada he will already have become old news here in the States - deferring to Canada in this case is absurd.

You could have just said he was a contestant on the show.

I've mentioned more than once that the show was not finished airing in canada (since we only get Food canada not the US food network).

So i found it very inconsiderate, as i find this reply. Other readers who commented on the winner last week left spoiler space.

It's just about being considerate. Why would you want to just blurt out someone's name when you know that it will spoil it for someone else? It's beyond me i guess.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #83 on: August 12, 2008, 09:20:03 AM »

I will post what I want, and Devil Take the Hindmost.

I don't care if I spoil a TV show competition.  I have never posted a winner or result, but as my Birthday Twin wrote:  It is only TV.

Sometimes when results are known, I look on the net so that I know the winner's name, and I enjoy the show just as much watching it play out.  They are television shows, not REAL competitions, and if anyone thinks the results are not manipulated by the producers in some way....well I have a bridge to sell you.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #84 on: August 12, 2008, 09:21:17 AM »

As for the Initials Game and MR BK and DR DRUXY....I say post as many names as you like.  It makes me have to think harder....and if I'm not around to post the names I know, that's my fault.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #85 on: August 12, 2008, 09:21:41 AM »

No Westerns here, except maybe "Annie, Get Your Gun".

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: August 12, 2008, 09:22:15 AM »

Hmm... I guess I am a bit grumpy this morning.

:-\

I need sunshine.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2008, 09:22:58 AM »

DR Jennifer - Again... Have you thought of moving to the States?  ;)

On the other hand... You've also been providing some play-by-play for some of the Canada-only reality shows - "Canadian Idol" and "How Do You Solve A Problem Like Maria?"... And who's to say that those shows may not get broadcast in the US at some point down the line?

We can all try to be "careful", but you also have to know that "slips" may happen from time to time.  But you also must know that by having all of us post spoiler warnings for any possible spoiler, well...  :-\  -Yes, it may take a few extra seconds, but part of the fun of posting is posting "on the spot" - not via tape delay, or broadcast delay.  And has been stated in the past, HHW is not the only source of spoilers.  (*I've been reading Seth Rudetsky's play-by-play on the Maria show - well, at least the one in London - I think...)

Does knowing the winner in advance really take away all the enjoyment of watching the competition for you?  Surely, it's not that disheartening.

And, again, it's just TV.

I never said who won MARIA or Canadian idol. And i always left space or tried to. And if i knew anybody else would watch either of these i would definitely leave space for any show i talk about.

Yes, actually I was upset yesterday. I go to great lengths to avoid reading about these shows. And i am very careful when reading this board on the days these shows air for you.

Do i wish Project runway, top chef ...  aired at the same time here. Yes. But i can't help him if the networks they are on (slice and food network) decide to run then 6 weeks behind.

I understand if someone makes an honest mistake, or even feels sorry.  But at least make an effort if you know it will upset someone else. I would make the effort for anyone here.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2008, 09:23:43 AM »

TOD:
Many already named +

TRUE GRIT - Elmer Bernstein

WYATT EARP - Kevin Costner version, music by James Newton Howard

TOMBSTONE - Bruce Broughton

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2008, 09:24:20 AM »

No, please continue to post!  The competition between BK and macchus is just that, a competition between them.  It is not the entire game, nor the point of the entire game.  As I see it, the point of the game is to share information, to get us all to think, both about new names to be added to the list and for a contemplation of the names that are already there.  Your contributions, and those of everyone else, help make me think.

I agree with this.  This game is NOT a competition -when I play one on one with Rothman, THAT'S a competition.  If he perceives it's a competition when we do it here, that's his perception - it isn't for me - I just have fun thinking of names and having them come to me, and seeing what others are posting.  I hate when these fun things turn acrimonious for no reason, so let's keep it going and have it be what it was when I first brought the game to the site - a pleasant Monday topic and diversion.  As I've said repeatedly, from the first time we played it, I have been amazed at some of the great stuff we've come up with.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13   Go Up