Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: AND THE WINNER IS...  (Read 36245 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:AND THE WINNER IS...
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2004, 11:48:03 AM »

Say, maybe we should have our own Hollywood Squares right here.  Hainsies/Kimlets Squares.  Someone be Peter Marshall, and ask the questions, and we'll answer them.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2004, 12:12:08 PM »

DR Panni, thank you for the Hollywood Squares material!  I remembered Paul Lynde's chiffon comment, but the rest were fresh and still funny.  Thank you!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2004, 12:16:34 PM »

DR George: Great description of the show last night. And thanks for posting those signed cds.

I'm curious, what did Stephen Schwartz sound like? (you mentioned he sang a couple of songs).  I love hearing composers sing.

btw, I'll have your translations in a few days I promise!

Jennifer, take as long as you need for the translations!  I'm in no hurry!

As for what Stephen Schwartz sounds like, both his CDs "Reluctant Pilgrim" and "Uncharted Territory" are listed on amazon.com and have sample clips to listen to.  The "Editorial Reviews" of both CDs are very complimentary.  For "Reluctant Pilgrim," one reviewer wrote, "Schwartz has an immediately appealing voice, and the band and soulful backup vocals are solid. This is a somewhat surprising but highly enjoyable find for Stephen Schwartz fans."  And for "Uncharted Territory," another reviewer wrote, "Schwartz's surprisingly boyish tenor adds a touch of warmth and fragility to the material."  (FYI:  The Editorial Reviews at amazon.ca are not as complimentary.)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2004, 12:19:15 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2004, 12:25:25 PM »

How should a lady properly cross her legs....at the knee or at the ankle?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2004, 12:26:52 PM »

Hello everyone!  I know I've been horribly E&T about posting lately.  I've been able to read, just haven't had the time to post.  Pirates of Penzance opens next weekend, and we are in the thick of rehearsals.  In addition, I took on the role of costume mistress for the show, so i've been running around town trying to locate costume parts and sewing supplies.  Craziness!  But I will try to be better about posting now..
Good vibes to those who need them
Congrats to those who have done things worthy of praise
I'm off to rehearsal...bye!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2004, 12:27:39 PM »

Right now, der Brucer has fallen asleep on my bed, with three of the dogs cuddled close.  It's so funny, watching them dream, as their paws twitch and they make strange noises.

Oh, wait, der Brucer has hands, not paws.

::)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2004, 12:27:44 PM »

Oh yes, and thanks to TCB for the lovely remarks on my CD.  You make me blush! :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2004, 12:29:18 PM »

How should a lady properly cross her legs....at the knee or at the ankle?
I thought the cross was usually made at chest-level.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2004, 12:31:03 PM »

The late theater caracaturist Al Hirshfeld was famous for incuding what four letters in each of his drawings?

Danise

« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2004, 12:58:30 PM »

I have been a busy, busy bee today.  The first really nice day to be outside and do things.  I mowed the grass, trimmed and edged everything.  Man, am I tired!

Jrand , to answer your question, I don't know if it's wrong or right but I was taught that a lady crosses her lets at the ankle and tucks her crossed ankles under the chair.

Crossing your knees is bad for your legs.

Gotta run.  Now that I've sat and cooled off a bit, I need a SHOWER!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2004, 01:20:32 PM »

BK - Starz/Encores is not "some loser network".  Since HBO and Showtime now show primarily original programs, Starz now shows all the first run newer movies that HBO and Showtime used to show.  I realize a lot of use see these films on DVD or VHS, but most people don't and this is the only way to see them uncut (except for the shrunken screen during the final credits).

Believe it or not, I have never seen or been interested in seeing PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, but with the good ticket prices now in effect I was able to get 2 tickets in Row D Center this Tuesday for half price.  The only problem is I just played the CD for the first time in years and now I remembered why I never wanted to see it.  The score is terrible except for a couple of numbers.  A friend said to approach it as a theme park ride instead of a show, but I wonder what DRs who have seen it have to say.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2004, 01:29:20 PM »

I thought for sure Starz/Encore was a loser network.  Listen, am I misremembering or did one of you dear readers do some rather amusing current Ebonics here a couple of weeks ago?  If so, can someone kindly point me to what day it was?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2004, 01:36:25 PM »

Believe it or not, I have never seen or been interested in seeing PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, but with the good ticket prices now in effect I was able to get 2 tickets in Row D Center this Tuesday for half price.  The only problem is I just played the CD for the first time in years and now I remembered why I never wanted to see it.  The score is terrible except for a couple of numbers.  A friend said to approach it as a theme park ride instead of a show, but I wonder what DRs who have seen it have to say.
Now would be a good time to invest in new earplugs.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2004, 01:40:40 PM »

I see we missed a birthday celebration yesterday amidst all the madness, so a belated birthday wish for dear reader Matthew.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2004, 01:41:31 PM »

DR William Lurie, enjoy the scenery and costumes, then go home and watch the Lon Chaney silent film.  
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2004, 01:42:06 PM »

Count me as another one who enjoys the score in the film version of ON THE TOWN. I've defended it here on at least two occasions, but I'll mention again that I think the new songs that Edens, Comden & Green came up with fit their cast and their way of delivering a song quite wonderfully.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2004, 01:44:10 PM »

Love the "theme park" idea WEL. Great way to go.  
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2004, 01:46:37 PM »

I saw THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA twice. Once from a Majestic high balcony seat and once from about the 10th row of the orchestra. I disliked the show so much the first time I saw it, but I thought it was because we were so high and far away, so when I got my hands on an orchestra seat, I gave it another chance. Both times, I marveled at the vacuousness of the score and book. It's a magnificent technical production, but it takes more than sets, costumes, and technical wizardry to impress me. (And the chandelier effect is a REAL nothing.)

Matt H.

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2004, 01:50:27 PM »

I watched the Lon CHaney silent version last week, and I honestly believe that's the first time I've ever watched it all the way through. I did not remember the ending at all, so I think that was my first real viewing, and there is so much about it that's really impressive.

I tried something for the first time today - Diet Coke with Lime! It's good, and I like it much better than the Diet Coke with Lemon.

Cued up in the DVD player now is the OTHER 1949 Gene Kelly/Frank Sinatra musical: TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALL GAME. I just got it on DVD. SHOW BOAT, despite that mono sound, looked quite spectacular.

Tomovoz

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2004, 01:51:47 PM »

I enjoyed both the Yeston and Ken Hill shows much more than ALW's. Enjoyable diversion but you leave it behind at the theatre.  Yeston's has so much more depth of story and character and Hill's is so funny.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2004, 02:05:52 PM »

I saw THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA twice. Once from a Majestic high balcony seat and once from about the 10th row of the orchestra. I disliked the show so much the first time I saw it, but I thought it was because we were so high and far away, so when I got my hands on an orchestra seat, I gave it another chance. Both times, I marveled at the vacuousness of the score and book. It's a magnificent technical production, but it takes more than sets, costumes, and technical wizardry to impress me. (And the chandelier effect is a REAL nothing.)

DR MattH,

I saw POTO (Toronto production) from the fourth row of the orchestra (not one-upping you; it was a freebee). And - third try, I think - on this one we agree at last. In a word (and you could not have picked a better one): vacuous.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2004, 02:07:06 PM »

Paul Lynde answered my question this way:

"Neither, if she wants to get anywhere in show business...."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2004, 02:09:39 PM »

I like POTO....I have seen it on tour three times.  It has a lot more humor than it is given credit for.  And the music played LIVE is exciting.  Of course there is much NOT to like - but those are real live breathing singing people up there....I like to watch their faces as closely as possible.   And Raoul is usually such a terrible dancer that watching him in "Masquerade" is a show in itself.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2004, 02:18:06 PM »

The Answer is NINA...his daughter.

My conclusion for SEX AND THE CITY tonight'

Carrie flies back from Paris alone. A stranger sits in the seat next to her. The stranger is Matthew Broderick. They start to talk and laugh. Fade to Black.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2004, 02:18:15 PM »

The Best Musical Tony for TPOTO and THE LION KING were both cases of style over substance. Both shows were marvelously designed and awe-inspiring in their technical achievement, but beneath the tinsil was only more tinsil. I much preferred the meat and potatoes of INTO THE WOODS and RAGTIME (of course, each of them offered technical achievements that were also quite alluring).

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2004, 02:24:24 PM »

I tried something for the first time today - Diet Coke with Lime! It's good, and I like it much better than the Diet Coke with Lemon.

Try Diet Coke with Hemlock - it's to die for.

der Brucer (thankful for the no-groaning rule)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2004, 02:26:38 PM »

Congrats to BK for his show winning (I cannot remember if I said this already).

DR Panni: Great recap of the evening. You made it sound like fun :)

DR Danise & DR Jose: No low carb ice cream at the grocery or health food store :(

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2004, 02:26:58 PM »

DerBrucer---How about a grin.

Or is their a no grinning rule also?

Danise

« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2004, 02:29:36 PM »

I've seen POTO at least twice.  Both road shows.  The first time I saw it, I knew that the Phantom wouldn't be Michael Crawford in my head but heart was ready for a wonderful voice.  

Well, the poor guy that had role sang it about 5 octives to high.  The friends I went to see the play with said it was worth the price of the ticket just to see the look on my face.  I think my jaw hit the floor!  It ruined the play for me.  I couldn't care what happened to the Phantom.

I do like the play.  It's one of the plays I may go see when I go to NYC.  I'm having a hard time deciding what I want to go to.  Most of the plays I thought I'd like, I've seen as road shows.

Le Miz tickets go on sale this Thursday!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: February 22, 2004, 02:35:06 PM »

No one remembers the Ebonics?  

Soon I will be on my way to Mr. Grant Geissman's house to work on finishing the Krtizer Time CD.  Mr. Guy Haines might even show up at some point.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up