Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: YES, WE HAVE NO BANANAS  (Read 22510 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:YES, WE HAVE NO BANANAS
« Reply #120 on: February 23, 2004, 05:58:40 PM »

Chat in a mere two minutes.  I have it on good authority that Miss Swishy Sarah will be there.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: February 23, 2004, 05:59:37 PM »

Chat in a mere minute.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #122 on: February 23, 2004, 06:00:13 PM »

What a wonderful photo!  And so nice to put a face to Panni's screenname too!

Oh, and since I'm back from dinner... I guess I can make chat tonight too!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: February 23, 2004, 06:00:16 PM »

Chat in a mere.  Now, chat now!

td

• td
« Reply #124 on: February 23, 2004, 06:03:04 PM »

Okay, you can use a full CDs worth of songs if you like.  I find these lists fascinating and, of course, I get to discover songs I don't know.  This isn't at all the same as "favorite songs" I don't think.

It' odd that this should be the TOD, as I have just made a few compilation discs for people (or at least got the tracks onto the computer)!
This afternoon's cd burning was:

FUN SONGS:
(for my friends who like pop music)
"The Safety Dance" - Men Without Hats
"Land Down Under" - Men at Work
"Come On Eileen" - Dexy's Midnight Runners
"500 Miles" - The Proclaimers
"If I Had a Million Dollars" - Barenaked Ladies
"Never Ending Story" -  Limahl
"Wild Wild West" - Escape Club
"Go West" - Pet Shop Boys (via Village People)
"Move Away" - Culture Club
"Rock DJ" - Robbie Williams
"Walk on the Wild Side" - Brook Benton

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #125 on: February 23, 2004, 06:24:31 PM »

What a wonderful photo!  And so nice to put a face to Panni's screenname too!
I definately agree!  And in my case, putting the face to the screenname was something I should have done long ago, because I've now realized that I met Panni at the reading and signing of Kritzerland at Bookfellows!  Somehow, I never matched the face with the name.  I can be so slow on the uptake sometimes.  My fault, DR Panni, and I appologize.    :-[ :-\

(Of course, der Brucer was there too, but Panni and I had a very nice conversation while he was off finding a basketfull of books, so he has an excuse.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: February 23, 2004, 06:29:56 PM »

My writing, or at least my ability to review, is improving.  I've been keeping up a running thread over at eGullet.com on our RB discoveries, foodwise.  This is what I added tonight:

One of the signatures of Rehoboth Beach is the use of color everywhere. This is natural for the town, befitting the summer resort business. Bright paint is splashed everywhere. Mattel's Barbie would approve of a store called "Tickled Pink." Fences are painted in rainbow shades.

Cloud 9 http://cloud9restaurant.com/ is almost discreetly yellow in comparison; much of it's color comes from the lighting on the roof. That's as far as the outside goes. Inside, the walls are burnished gold, with a sky blue skylight over the dining room, and cartoon-ballooned paintings in bold graphic style by Matt Adler on the walls.

We went because we wanted a change of pace, and had heard that they have a pasta special running on Monday nights. Indeed, there is a special menu of pasta dishes and individual pizzas, and the pastas on the regular menu are at half price. (There is also currently a second-entree-free special on Thursday nights.)

Der Brucer started with the baked oysters, which are served with andouille sausage, spinach, and aioli. He thought the bite of the andouille complemented the oysters very well. For my appetizer, I thought the sweet chili-garlic sauce that was paired with the coconut crusted shrimp also a good match, with the light heat of the sauce cutting the coconut's own sweetness.

For the entree, he went for the duck confit pizza, which was paired with scallions, tomatoes, asparagus tips, and cheddar. I tried the lobster ravioli from the regular menu, which was served with a sherry cream sauce. No, I told our waiter, I didn't care for fresh Parmesan. What I did find myself wishing for was some contrast on the plate. The ravioli was very good, tender and striped orange and white, and filled with flavorful lobster. The sherry cream sauce was a good pairing with the ravioli. But...

White and orange raviolis, with a white sauce, and served in a deep white dish somehow lacked a certain visual something. There was too much white, which went well with the late 70s soft rock playing in the background but wasn't as appealing to look at. The whole combination needed something green, like a glazed decoration to the plate itself, and maybe just a small sprinkling of seaweed salad on the raviolis to give a flavor contrast.

The service was as pale as my entree. Tasty, but lacking something.

As we were driving home, der Brucer commented that they're sure to rake in the bucks during the season. I'm sure he's right.

I do wonder how it looks, however, to be sitting at the table with a small notepad near my water glass, while I'm taking notes.  I know there are others at eGullet who do the exact same thing; some of them even take pictures!  But are waiters astute enough to know that the notes will be used later?  And do they say anything to the back of the house?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 06:46:02 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #127 on: February 23, 2004, 06:34:26 PM »

Panni and BK, woohoo - what a picture!  what a photograph!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: February 23, 2004, 06:48:19 PM »

S. Woody, I didn't know Panni at the Kritzerland signing - it must have been some other Hungarian blonde.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: February 23, 2004, 06:52:56 PM »

Gee, BK, I hope you're just ribbing me, because it's unfair for one fellow like yourself to know that many pretty women!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: February 23, 2004, 07:02:57 PM »

Not ribbing.  I don't think I met Panni before last summer.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #131 on: February 23, 2004, 07:17:01 PM »

Note to JMK re the lovely chat:

Matthew 27:46   And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, Eli, Eli, lama sabachthani? that is to say, My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?

[King James]
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #132 on: February 23, 2004, 07:18:03 PM »

So I would just have to assume that this line is in Mel's screenplay.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: February 23, 2004, 07:42:57 PM »

Not ribbing.  I don't think I met Panni before last summer.
And June 21st would have been last summer.

(No, I'm not magical at remembering dates.  The reading was the same day that Harry Potter #5 came out, so I had a practical memory jogger.)

And if it wasn't Panni, then who was that other lovely lady?

Addendum: I just went back and found my own post from that date.  Sadly, I wasn't very good at naming names myself, and didn't give all the details.  Here it is:

Der Brucer and I had a wonderful time this afternoon, meeting those who DID show up at the Kritzerland reading and signing. BK, for those who haven't had the chance to hear him, has a wonderful reading voice. He even sang a little, and while Guy Haines has nothing to worry about as far as BK being any real vocal competition, he would do well to ask BK to be a backup vocalist the next time he (GH) records a song.

We had a very enjoyable chat, ranging in topics from chat board organization to Lemony Snickett, while noshing on cheese bits, chocolate cake, and lemon bars (a tasteful confluence, I thought). Der Brucer found several books by Michael Bond about a gastronomic detective named Monsieur Pamplemousse, which he will be devouring shortly. And BK scolded us for not yet having the Ann Margaret CD of Best Little Whorehouse, which he produced.

If I'm a bit late in posting this, it is because der Brucer and I went shopping afterwards, trying to find a copy of BLW, along with BK's Pasadena Playhouse recording of Do I Hear a Waltz. Sadly, none of the stores in Glendale that we checked had either recording. Der Brucer DID purchase a couple of very nice neckties, which struck me as strange, since we both avoid situations where we have to wear neckties. We then had a very nice dinner at a restaurant in Glendale called Jax, before heading home. All and all, it was a very pleasant day.

Even though they were sold out, the staffers at all the bookstores were still being beseiged by people wanting copies of Potter.  Thus I was able to research the date.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 07:54:47 PM by S. Woody White »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #134 on: February 23, 2004, 07:56:46 PM »

And June 21st would have been last summer.

(No, I'm not magical at remembering dates.  The reading was the same day that Harry Potter #5 came out, so I had a practical memory jogger.)

And if it wasn't Panni, then who was that other lovely lady?

My evil twin, no doubt, S. Woody. Waren't me. I've never been to a Kritzer book signing. And I hadn't met bk last summer.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 08:10:49 PM by Panni »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: February 23, 2004, 08:02:58 PM »

My evil twin, no doubt, S. Woody. Waren't me. I've never been to a Kritzer book signing. And I didn't know bk last summer.
Hmmmm...Twin, perhaps, certainly lovely and a personality to match, I wouldn't ever say evil.

This is strange, because she looked very much like you!  It may be one of these mysteries that we don't get to solve.   :-\

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #136 on: February 23, 2004, 08:03:08 PM »

The same old technical difficulties made it impossible for me to attend chat, again.

Very happy to receive the envelope from Jose.  Thanks.

Did another huge class cabaret show tonight.  When You Got If, Flaunt It, done by an actual Swedish bombshell, seems to have been the hit of the evening.  Also, two numbers from The Full Monty.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #137 on: February 23, 2004, 08:04:31 PM »

Oh goodness, I just spent the last three hours of my life reading semi-recent daily threads.  It was exhausting!  I should be writing blocking notation for "Assassins" right now (I'll hopefully be directing scenes from it at school), but you lovely people are terribly distracting!  (Lovely being the operative word.  What a terrific photo of BK and Panni!)

I suppose if I was trying to make a CD to reflect my musical tastes I'd include
"Our Time" (Original cast, "Merrily")
"How Long Has This Been Going On?" (Judy Garland)
"Some Other Time" (Original cast, "On The Town")
"Birdhouse In Your Soul" (They Might Be Giants)
"Va Pensiero" ("Nabucco", the recording with Callas)
"Been On A Train" (Laura Nyro)
"Finishing The Hat" (Original cast, "Sunday")
"Monica's Waltz" (Renee Flemming)
Opening of "First Lady Suite"
"Breakfast Over Sugar" (Original cast, "In Trousers")
*Bonus track: Liza singing "SaraLee", for the fat girl inside all of us.

It just occured to me that it might be interesting to try to tell our life stories (In chronological order) using only pre-existing songs (I don't think it could be limited to ten!).  I'm not sure what I'd include, but it would certainly be a very different list than the one above!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 08:09:40 PM by Jenny »
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Panni

« Reply #138 on: February 23, 2004, 08:05:05 PM »

I met Panni at the reading and signing of Kritzerland at Bookfellows!  Somehow, I never matched the face with the name.  I can be so slow on the uptake sometimes.  My fault, DR Panni, and I appologize.    :-[ :-\
(Of course, der Brucer was there too, but Panni and I had a very nice conversation while he was off finding a basketfull of books, so he has an excuse.)

And I don't think I've been to Bookfellows. I love book stores and would remember THAT. This has a very Twilight Zone-ish feel to it. Der Brucer did not see the lady either. Did anybody  - except you, SWW? Could she have been a spirit who haunts Bookfellows waiting for the kind and loving man who will sacrifice his life so that her soul may at last find peace. Did you narrowly escape with your life, SWW? (Or, as bk said, she may just have been another blonde Hungarian tomato.)

Panni

« Reply #139 on: February 23, 2004, 08:16:28 PM »

Whoever the other Panni was, thank you all for the compliments on the photo. I've always fancied myself a Nora Charles kinda gal. And if Nick could switch from martinis to Diet Coke, bk fits the bill perfectly.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #140 on: February 23, 2004, 08:24:27 PM »

I was at the Bookfellows signing, Dear Reader S. Woody White, and we did chat briefly, but I doubt that you would confuse me with Dear Reader Panni.

Or with the hallucination you had of her, for that matter.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Tomovoz

« Reply #141 on: February 23, 2004, 08:32:47 PM »

TOTD
1. Feelings - Morris Albert
2. Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast - Wayne Newton
3. Delilah - Tom Jones
4. Downtown - Frank Sinatra
5. Send In The Clowns - Mel Torme
6. Take That Look Off Your Face - Bernadette Peters
7. Cry Me A River - Justin Timberlake
8. All I Have - Jennifer Lopez
9. Lose Yourself - Eminem
10. Die Another Day - Madonna
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 08:38:54 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: February 23, 2004, 08:33:40 PM »

Good evening!

Chat was indeed lively and sparkling again as usual!  And it was so nice that DR SwishySarah was able to pop in. -She's busy with school, studies and CAMELOT.  -And I think she'd appreciate some good HHW Vibes right now too. ;)

I ended up meeting some friends for dinner tonight, and we had a wonderful time.  And my friend, John, was very gracious and generous and picked up the check tonight.

Hmm... I think I need to check the pilot light on the furnace... I'm not feeling any heat right now.. Hmm...

DR Noel - Glad to know my mail reached you.

Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #143 on: February 23, 2004, 08:51:26 PM »

Looking forward to AMERICAN IDOL tomorrow night. The "fountain pen salesman" is one of tomorrow's contestants. let's hope for a better set of 8 for tomorrow night.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: February 23, 2004, 09:02:09 PM »

"Yes We Have No Bananas" was supposed to have been inspired by a Greek Pedlar in the Phillipines. US Army men found the "call" worthy remembering and tunesmiths turned it into a hit in the early 20s. I wrote much more this morning but had difficulties logging on etc.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: February 23, 2004, 09:11:46 PM »

Oh, my Lord, I have just read the stupidest most ill-written "review" ever - just mosey on over to www.hometheatreforum.com, scroll down to DVD software and find the Peyton Place "review".  And people tell this dweeb "good job, man".  His first line is something about how he hates to watch classic films but he has to for his "reviews".  He ends up liking them, though, so that's good.  The "review" is rife with errors, both grammatical and factual.  For instance, he says he doesn't know how they got such great stereo sound from a mono film.  Oops.  Stereo film, bucko.  I mean, it's just nauseatingly amusing.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #146 on: February 23, 2004, 09:25:02 PM »

Hmmm.... BK - I just "linked" over to hometheatreforum.com and couldn't scroll down to any DVD section - since there was not one there.  Could it possibly be hometheatERforum.com?  Hmm... -And I dislike pop-ups too!  Especially the ones that pop-up when you close another window!  grrrrrrr...

And as I mentioned during the chat tonight, Carl Anderson, Judas in the film version of Jesus Christ Superstar, died today from leukemia.  Here's the link to the notice on broadway.com.  *I'm surprised that Playbill did not add the news at midnight.

http://www.broadway.com/template_1.asp?CI=34296&CT=38
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 09:26:09 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: February 23, 2004, 09:30:02 PM »

Oh - And BK - Have you heard anything about the movie, "Club Dread" that's opening soon.  I had to wonder if someone was monitoring one of our Joe Allen chats.  Hmmm... Unfortunately, it looks like they're making it a boob-fest type of movie, so.. Ah, well...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: February 23, 2004, 09:47:01 PM »

What's Club Dread?  It is hometheaterforum.com  sorry

Jed

« Reply #149 on: February 23, 2004, 10:02:52 PM »

Dang, didn't realize tonight was a chat night.  Ah well, maybe next time.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up