Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: YES, WE HAVE NO BANANAS  (Read 22529 times)

William E. Lurie

Re:YES, WE HAVE NO BANANAS
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2004, 01:11:40 PM »

Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2004, 01:15:04 PM »

Preorders start tomorrow for Kritzer Time.  Anyone who is predisposed to get a jump on such things can do so right this very minute by going to our home page, clicking on The Kritzer Novels, scrolling down until you see Kritzer Time on the right.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2004, 01:20:02 PM »

Shoes?  You mean that the shoes were so important that New York One chose them to represent the whole series.  I would go along with that for "Cinderella", but if that was the show was about, I'm glad I didn't waste all that time watching it.  I guess it was a program for foot fetishists.

Yes, EXACTLY!  You've totally cracked the code.  All the critical and audience acclaim, plus all the awards, were strictly bestowed upon the show by foot fetishists.

That's what the show was about....SHOES.  Just like "Mame" is about long pants, and "Hello, Dolly" is about a feed store in Yonkers.

You got it!  :)

And don't forget that "Fiddler on the Roof" was about property values in the Ukraine, and "Guys and Dolls" was about sewer rats in NYC, and "Fiorello" was about a little tin box.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 01:22:19 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2004, 01:29:39 PM »

We're having such a fun day.  I'm washing sheets and seasoning der Brucer's new cast-iron sandwich press in the oven, and he's alphabetizing the cast album CDs.  (I've just made his day by handing him the stack of CDs we brought east with us in the car.  He doesn't always swear like a sailor, but it's fun to tempt him.   ;D)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2004, 01:34:37 PM »

All right, enough of this "Spoiler Free" thing on Sex and the City.  If anyone wants a spoiler, Television Without Pity did it fairly well.  Since we now have this one spoiler, we don't need another.  Get it?  Good.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2004, 01:43:31 PM »

Saw a movie I've been missing for years just now - THE SIN OF MADELON CLAUDET that won Helen hayes her first Oscar. Recorded from TCM this morning and just watched it. Soap opera from the word go that makes STELLA DALLAS look like LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT, but Hayes does OK. And nice to see Neil Hamilton, a very young Robert Young, and Jean Hersholt in the cast.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #66 on: February 23, 2004, 01:46:04 PM »

I am knee-deep in one of the coolest sites I have ever stumbled across:  newspaperarchive.com.  This site has papers going back to the 1700s, all in .PDF format and all completely searchable.  I have found so much info on my favorite research subject, no to mention copious news articles about my late Uncle, the alleged Soviet Spy (betcha didn't know that about me, eh?).

Is anyone an Adobe expert out there?  Is there any way to "crop" Adobe files, so that I don't need to print out a whole newspaper page every time?  Are Adobe files importable into Picture Viewers or can they be converted to .jpegs.

Because you are a highly sensitive and spiritually aware lot, and vis a vis my favorite research subject, I ask all of you to please pray for the Farmer family.  My dear friend Frances' nephew David has just had the worst news any parent can experience:  his 23 year old daughter has just died from a car accident in Las Vegas.  I firmly believe in the healing power of prayer, especially anonymous prayer, so for those of you so moved, I know the "vibes" will get where they need to be.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jed

« Reply #67 on: February 23, 2004, 01:47:53 PM »

Somewhere, there's a psychiatrist rubbing his or her hands with glee, anticipating the chance to analyze our selections.

And that psychiatrist would most likely say, in the words of Mr. Mark Bakalor, "You're all crazy!!!"
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #68 on: February 23, 2004, 01:58:53 PM »

...not to mention copious news articles about my late Uncle, the alleged Soviet Spy (betcha didn't know that about me, eh?)...
Dang.  The beard and the shifty eyes should have been a tip-off.

::)

And more seriously, vibes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 02:06:06 PM by S. Woody White »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #69 on: February 23, 2004, 02:03:46 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well... 1/2 mile walk, 2 mile run/jog, 1/2 mile walk, 100 crunches (5 sets of 20, each set in a different position), 20 push-ups (2 sets of 10), and various stretches.

Guess who's gonna be sore tomorrow?!?!?!  But it'll be a good sore.  And I'm be smiling.. through the pain.

;D

It actually felt very good to get back out there today and just go for it.  At first I was just going to run a mile, but then I just decided, what the heck? -Might as well...  And it was actually a bit easier than I thought it would be.  Nice to know I'm not that out of it - this was my first run in about four months!  And I kept up a pretty good pace throughout the run.  However, my flexibility has gone out the window - some of those stretches... hmm...  Time to dust off the Pilates machine in the morning!

-Nothing like a bit of internet-induced motivation. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #70 on: February 23, 2004, 02:03:46 PM »

Because you are a highly sensitive and spiritually aware lot, and vis a vis my favorite research subject, I ask all of you to please pray for the Farmer family.  My dear friend Frances' nephew David has just had the worst news any parent can experience:  his 23 year old daughter has just died from a car accident in Las Vegas.  I firmly believe in the healing power of prayer, especially anonymous prayer, so for those of you so moved, I know the "vibes" will get where they need to be.

Very, very sad news.  :'( My heart goes out to your friend.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: February 23, 2004, 02:04:50 PM »

Attention, DR. Jose:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]ALTON ALERT!!!!!  ALTON ALERT!!!!![/move]

New episode on Wednesday, titled "Sometimes You Feel Like a Nut."  (Food TV, 9:00 pm EST/PST)

Reruns on late-nite:
Monday: Broiled, butterflied chicken
Tuesday: Ice Cream
Wednesday: Scones, Shortcake, & Souther Biscuits
Thursday: Gravy
Friday: French Onion Soup

I suppose he could do manolos, sort of as a tribute to Charlie Chaplin...nah.

Jane

« Reply #72 on: February 23, 2004, 02:05:30 PM »

JMK was the alleged Soviet Spy your father's brother?  :D

JMK

« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2004, 02:13:52 PM »

JMK was the alleged Soviet Spy your father's brother?  :D

Indeed, Jane--and if you recall some of my other posts, my father was a General in the U.S. Army (in fact, his brother's arrest occurred about 15 seconds after my dad had been nominated to be a Brigadier General).  Needless to say, this created huge problems for my family (on top of which it was the height of the Berlin Wall crisis, not exactly a cozy time in US-USSR relations).

DRs Pogue and Panni may be interested to know this story was optioned many years ago (Rip Torn, a lifelong friend of my family's who gave the eulogy at both my Uncles' funerals, was interested), but the option lapsed.  I am currently developing the story on my own.  Hence the research.

The case is not remembered at all today, but it was front page news at the time, and is still mentioned in textbooks about Soviet "outreach" (if you catch my drift).

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2004, 02:16:01 PM »

JoseSPiano - yesterdayHaving been there, seen it, done it - I WILL NOT DRIVE ONTO MANHATTEN AND PARK.

Present plan is to take the Cape May Ferry and then drive to Journal Square in Jersey City and take PATH into the city. I know both the streets and the Subways to get any where on the island.

der Brucer (looking for discount tickets to "WICKED" to keep SWW happy.)

Anybody seen or heard much about "Golda's Balcony", "Agamemnon", or "THE EXONERATED" ?

I actually like driving into the city.  And I've found some very reasonably priced garages at various points on the island.  Of course, traffic can be bad, but traffic is traffic.  I guess growing up in the DC metro area has kind of conditioned me to deal with traffic.  And depending upon how long I am up there, I also tend to get lucky with the alternate side of the street parking too.  <knock wood>

-Although I like your route too.

When are you going?  -And does this mean you'll now be making two trips up?

I believe The Exonerated just posted their closing notice.  -It's quite a good piece.  I think the tour is still out of the road with various actors stepping in and out at various cities.  When it was in DC, they had one of the people "profiled" in the play in the audience.  Quite a moving moment.  Have you seen I Am My Own Wife yet?
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: February 23, 2004, 02:18:54 PM »

JMK we find your family very interesting.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: February 23, 2004, 02:18:58 PM »

DR JMK - You can crop Adobe .pdf files, but you will need a full-fledge version of Adobe Acrobat, not just the free browser plug-in version.

-And so sorry to hear about your friend's bad news.  Thoughts of comfort on their way.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #77 on: February 23, 2004, 02:24:51 PM »

DR SWW - Thank you for the Alton Brown Alert!  If I recall, I think the spring season is all new episodes, n'est-ce pas?

It's been fun watching some of the ones they've been rerunning during the 11:30 slot lately.  The different hair cuts.  The still evolving look and style of the show.  And whatever happened to some of those early "special guests"?  I loved the guy in the hardware store during the steak show who didn't eat meat... and who's family didn't eat meat. No steak for them! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #78 on: February 23, 2004, 02:43:59 PM »

JMK we find your family very interesting.

LOL, Jane--I haven't even gotten to my OTHER Uncle (another infamous leftist who became a mini-Trump in his day, owning a great deal of lower Manhattan), or the whole "don't tell anyone we're Jews" angle.  Oy.  Oy I say again.

I did a FOIA request on my Uncles' FBI and CIA records over two years ago, and stuff is STILL coming in.  My fave documents in that regard are the 30 years of letters from J. Edgar to various field agents as he personally looked into my Uncle's (the mini-Trump) activities, including supposed aliases, followed by a late 60s addendum that the 30 or so aliases they had ascribed to my Uncle for 25+ years had, in fact, NEVER been used by him--he changed his surname from Kauffman to escape anti-Semitism and that's the only "other" name he ever had.  Your tax dollars at work.   :-\

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #79 on: February 23, 2004, 02:50:18 PM »

No one wants to be first?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #80 on: February 23, 2004, 02:50:39 PM »

OMG DR RPL - Hello Dolly 1969!  This has Ginger Rogers' fine fingerprints all over it....she was married to William Marshall when she was doing the show....when she showed up that is!

Must have been a gag gift she got for him.....or since she had NO sense of humor, someone else must have.....maybe one of his drinking buddies gave it to him when he finally married Ginger!  Big Deal indeed!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2004, 02:53:58 PM »

Preorders start tomorrow for Kritzer Time.  Anyone who is predisposed to get a jump on such things can do so right this very minute by going to our home page, clicking on The Kritzer Novels, scrolling down until you see Kritzer Time on the right.

Did you mean I can order today?  If so, it's not working or I'm doing something wrong.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2004, 02:55:42 PM »

Is Alton that blonde guy with glasses?

I like his show and I don't even cook!   ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 03:01:27 PM by JRand53 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2004, 02:55:53 PM »

Tell me what you're doing?  I tried it, got to the order page (the one with the paypal info) and I presume if I clicked it would take the order.  So, let me know what's what and if there's a prob I'll have it taken care of.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2004, 02:59:29 PM »

Jrand ordered (first order!) so it's definitely working.  Maybe you misunderstood "home page".  By home page I mean our real home page, where the notes reside.  So, if you either go to www.haineshisway.com or just click today's notes.  On THAT page you'll find "The Kritzer Novels on the left.  Click there, then scroll down and the Kritzer Time link will be on your right.

Michael

« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2004, 03:02:39 PM »

Wow a hard choice

Listen to My Heart (Nancy LaMott)
Somewhere in Time (Kevin Koelbl)
Jonathan Wesley Oliver, Jr. (Lee Lessack)
My Heart Is So Full Of (Liz Callaway)
Disneyland (Jodi Benson)
She Wasn't You (Brent Barrett)
Unsuspecting Heart (Skinner and Ripley)
Whistling Away the Dark (Julie Andrews)
What More Can I Say? (Jason Graae)
A Quiet Thing (Scott Coulter)
Climb Every Mountain (Laurie Beechman)
Way We Were (Barbra Streisand)
It's a New World (Judy Garland)
Miss Byrd (Sally Mayes)
The Ladies Who Lunch (Elaine Stritch)
Never stop dreaming.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: February 23, 2004, 03:03:22 PM »

I click on The Kritzer Novels, scroll down to The Kritzer Novels again, find The Life and Times of Benjamin Kritzer under that.  I don’t see Kritzer Time on the right or anywhere else.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: February 23, 2004, 03:03:31 PM »

Hurray!  Yes, I just clicked home here first....before I realized where I should really go!

Thanks, MR BK!  Anticipation..................................... ....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #88 on: February 23, 2004, 03:04:18 PM »

Yes DR Jane go to the front front front page where the notes are and click on the Kritzer Novels link!

Jane

« Reply #89 on: February 23, 2004, 03:05:20 PM »

I was clicking on "home page",  not starting over.  Oh well, and I thought I would be the first to order.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up