Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: YES, WE HAVE NO BANANAS  (Read 23715 times)

William E. Lurie

Re:YES, WE HAVE NO BANANAS
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2004, 09:58:26 AM »

Shoes?  You mean that the shoes were so important that New York One chose them to represent the whole series.  I would go along with that for "Cinderella", but if that was the show was about, I'm glad I didn't waste all that time watching it.  I guess it was a program for foot fetishists.

It would be hard for me to list only one CD worth of perfect songs, but it would have to include some Al Carmines and some Sondheim.  The one track tht would be a must would be Dame Edna doing "Losing My Mind".

I notice that many of the ads on the "Home Page" for this here site are for salad dressings.  Is one of them for Aunt Martha's dressing?  They had very effective television ads for that brand in the 50s.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2004, 10:05:51 AM »

My Bring Your Hanky CD:

Meditation - Shenandoah
Something Wonderful– King and I
Pity the Child – Chess
Somewhere – West Side Story
Stars…Javert’s Suicide (Les Miz)
Why God – Miss Saigon
Make Them Hear You - Ragtime
Con onor muore - Madame Butterfly
Che gelida manina - La Boheme
I Want to Live - John Denver

Deleted with Difficulty

Time Heals Everything – Mack and Mabel
There But for You Go I - Brigadoon
Bridge Over Troubled Waters
Somewhere That’s Green (Little Shop of Horrors)
Old Friend (Getting My Act Together and Taking It On the Road)
As If We Never Said Goodbye – Sunset Blvd
Bimba dagli occhi - Madame Butterfly
Bui Dui - Miss Saigon
The Bus From Amarillo (Best Little...in Texas)

If we included orchestral:

"Ode to Joy" from Beethoven's Ninth
Symphony in D - Cesar Franck
Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg - Prelude - Wagner
Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini - Rachmaninoff
Symphony #6 - Tchaikovsky
Aida, opera Triumphal March - Verdi
Rhapsody in Blue - Gershwin
Violin Concerto #1 in D Major - Paganini
Requiem, K.626: Dies Irae (Day Of Wrath)  Mozart

der Brucer (Bonus Track - "Blame Canada" -South Park)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2004, 10:08:36 AM »

This just in...

AMOUR co-stars Melissa Errico and Malcom Gets will be reunited in Irish Rep's FINIANS' RAINBOW concert revisal opening later next month!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2004, 10:16:56 AM »

DR Panni, I think you may have posted this before, but I have evidently forgotten. What was your screen name as an actress? I would love to see some of the films that you have appeared in!
Thank you for the interest, MBarnum, but there is absolutely nothing worth seeing. And I'm not being coy or modest, just truthful. All my good acting work was done on the stage in Canada and that's gone with the wind.  As it is, I haven't acted in over 25 years, except at network meetings.
The only work of mine worth looking at is my writing work - and some of that you can find for sale online or at rental places.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2004, 10:32:31 AM »

I notice that many of the ads on the "Home Page" for this here site are for salad dressings.  Is one of them for Aunt Martha's dressing?  They had very effective television ads for that brand in the 50s.

Here is the Mary Margaret McBrideMertz delivery service for Aunt Martha's Salad Dressing:

Though sold at a loss, they hoped to make up the diffence with volume.

der Bucer (I'll stick with Paul Newman - nicer eyes)

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2004, 10:37:06 AM »

Hey everyone....the new Broadway Radio Show is available for your listening pleasure....this week we play selections from the new recording of SHERRY! and I chat with an original cast member of the show.

Enjoy!
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2004, 10:42:12 AM »

It was Aunt Martha's HOMEMADE Salad Dressing!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2004, 10:47:51 AM »

A CD compilation would have to include a couple of novelty songs like "Bananas," and another I like from the 20s is "Does Your Chewing Gum Lose It's Flavor on the Bedpost Overnight?"  

That reminds me of Paul Taylor's THE WRECKING BALL, which had a bananas song (I can't think of the title at the mo'.)

My Off-the-Top-of-My-Head-Ten-Song CD:

"Milord" -- Edith Piaf
"Mack The Knife" -- Ella Fitzgerald
"Mood Indigo" -- Sinatra
"Blue Rhondo A La Turk" -- Dave Brubeck Quartet
"Appalachian Spring" -- Copeland, conducted by Bernstein
"Overture" -- SOUTH PACIFIC
"Respect" -- Aretha Franklin
"Walkin' After Midnight" -- Patsy Cline
"Every Breath You Take" -- The Police
"Are You Gonna Be My Girl" -- The Jet

This list is subject to change by the time I click the "Post" button.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2004, 10:49:12 AM »

DR George - Did they re-do the London OCR of Miss Saigon to replace "It's Her or Me" with "Now That I've Seen Her"?  I much prefer "It's Her or Me" over "Now That I've Seen Her".  *And I'm also glad I have a copy of the original vocal selections they released before Hal Leonard took the London ones - which were licensed for sale stateside initially - and "big-noted" them.  And it's also too bad that when HL put some of the songs into their Singer's Musical Theatre Anthology series that they used those "big-note" style arrangements instead of the accompaniment only versions.

As far as I could tell, they just replaced the one song.  However, they didn't change the booklet, just the outside endcard, on my friend's copy.  The library where I work bought the CD and the inside booklet was changed to reflect the new song.  Evidently, they didn't do everything all at once. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2004, 10:54:02 AM »

Why is it that I always seem to see so many things that I want on Ebay at the end of the month when I don't have any money left instead of at the beginning of the month when my checking account is still full? I hate that!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2004, 10:57:53 AM »

SAG Awards:

(excerpts)

LOS ANGELES — Johnny Depp was a surprise lead actor winner Sunday at the Screen Actors Guild Awards for "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl," while Charlize Theron took the best-actress honor for the serial-killer drama "Monster."

The supporting acting awards went to Tim Robbins for the brooding drama "Mystic River" and Renee Zellweger for the Civil War saga "Cold Mountain."

The ensemble acting award, the guild's equivalent of a best-picture prize, went to "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King," the front-runner to win the top honor at next Sunday's Academy Awards.
Among the guild's TV awards, "Sex and the City" won for comedy-acting ensemble on the same night the series ended its six-year run. The cast won the same prize two years ago, while star Sarah Jessica Parker won the comedy-actress honor in 2001.

Other comedy TV honors went to Megan Mullally for "Will & Grace" and Tony Shalhoub for "Monk."

Kiefer Sutherland of "24" and Frances Conroy of "Six Feet Under" won for best dramatic actor and actress. "Six Feet Under" also was honored for best acting ensemble in a drama.

"Angels in America" earned Meryl Streep and Al Pacino the acting awards for a TV movie or miniseries.

The guild presented its lifetime achievement award to 91-year-old Karl Malden, an Academy Award winner as supporting actor for "A Streetcar Named Desire."

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2004, 11:01:41 AM »

A little off the deep end, perhaps:

Extracted from Tolerance:

A 'Return' of the White Patriarchy?

EDITOR'S NOTE: "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" led this week's Academy Awards nominations with 11, including Best Picture and Best Director. But for Andrea Lewis, the "King" is little more than a glorified vision of white patriarchy. Unlike Academy voters, she prefers the multiracial worldview of "The Matrix."

Like most, I was entertained and awed by the artistry and technical achievements of "The Return of the King," but by the end of the film's 3.5 hours I thought the final chapter should have been dubbed "The Return of the Patriarchy."

The "Rings" films are like promotional ads for those tired old race and gender paradigms that were all the rage back in author J.R.R. Tolkien's day.

Almost all of the heroes of the series are manly men who are whiter than white. They are frequently framed in halos of blinding bright light and exude a heavenly aura of all that is Eurocentric and good. Who but these courageous Anglo-Saxon souls can save Middle Earth from the dark and evil forces of the world?

On the good side, even the mighty wizard Gandalf the Grey (Ian McKellen) is sanitized and transformed from the weed-smoking, rather dingy figure we first meet in the "The Fellowship of the Ring," into Gandalf the White, who, by the time of "Return of the King," has become a powerful military leader complete with pure white hair and an Eisenhower attitude.

Say what you will about the convoluted storyline of the "Matrix" trilogy — at least those films give women and people of color some characters they can relate to.

der Brucer (wondering what ethnicity you can assign to a villian without alienting someone?)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2004, 11:06:55 AM »

Good Afternoon!

-Time to be productive!... I hope!

Well, at least time to finally make up my bed and fold some clothes... Then...

???
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2004, 11:07:05 AM »

Donald, This week's installment is great. Your interview with your friend from Sherry is wonderful. Thanks for the show.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2004, 11:15:02 AM »

Regarding the "Return of the White Patriarchy" item from "Tolerance" posted by derBrucer.

...it gives me pause to wonder whether Ms. Andrea Lewis also found similar "racial" fault with "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon."

Heaven forbid any religious movie in which bright white light might be used to indicate a sacred, much less, masculine, presence.  That would, of course, further the silly idea of "white" patricarchy (never mind, of course, that the biblical history is wholly patriarchal).

Let's see...tolkien's whole world was meant to be set in pre-history Europe. How DARE he people it only with white folk!!???

I think her mindset is simply sad.  
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 11:30:50 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2004, 11:35:20 AM »

BK - Check out Peter Filichia's column at TheaterMania.Com today.  It's about Sherry and he mentions you by name in connection with the track on Unsung Musicals.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2004, 11:41:34 AM »

Well I will add the afore-chosen "Moon River" as a hidden track on my CD....and just for some culture Tchiakovsky's First Piano Concerto in B Flat Minor as recorded by Van Cliburn.  Just for culture, ya know.

'Cos when it comes to culture - us people hyer in Indiana are the first hogs to the trough.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2004, 11:42:46 AM »

JoseSPiano - yesterday

Your main concern with driving up will be the Lincoln Tunnel.  Either get in before rush hour by 7:30, or after rush hour after 9:30.  Now, if you're going up on a weekend, then...  Just make sure there's no parades or presidential visits planned for the day you plan to go up.  Gridlock!

Having been there, seen it, done it - I WILL NOT DRIVE ONTO MANHATTEN AND PARK.

Present plan is to take the Cape May Ferry and then drive to Journal Square in Jersey City and take PATH into the city. I know both the streets and the Subways to get any where on the island.

der Brucer (looking for discount tickets to "WICKED" to keep SWW happy.)

Anybody seen or heard much about "Golda's Balcony", "Agamemnon", or "THE EXONERATED" ?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2004, 12:11:09 PM »

Dear Reader WEL--Regarding the Manolos on Sex and the City:  Think of it as shoe as metaphor.

A belated welcome to Dear Reader Jenny!

Very belated birthday wishes to Dear Reader Matthew!

I agree with Dear Reader TCB on Phantom of the Opera:  it is quite enjoyable as an entertainment.

The Pearl Fishers was quite good yesterday.  The three principal singers were excellent, and the production was quite eye-catching.  Although this opera has some wonderful musical highlights, it also has some fairly hackneyed musical passages.  We won't even discuss the quality of the libretto!

It took me forever to drive home from San Diego, as it was pouring rain most of the way.  Got back in time to turn on the SAG awards and then was too tired to even turn on the computer last night.

I'm surprised there's been so little chatter here about the SAG awards.  Much as I enjoyed his performance, I was rather astonished to see Mr. Johnny Depp take the Best Actor (Male) in a Feature Motion Picture award.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2004, 12:19:19 PM »

But you weren't as astonished as Rosalind Russell was when Loretta Young won the Oscar for "The Farmer's Daughter" - I bet!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: February 23, 2004, 12:20:04 PM »

Jay:  Unlike the other awards that have goen to Bill Murray for "Lost in Translation," the SAG award isn't a critics prize.  I don't know whether Mr. Murray is popular enough to actually win the Oscar.  I've heard some tales that he can be "unpleasant."

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2004, 12:21:02 PM »

Y'all ain't gonna believe this, I'll bet:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3389000893&category=778

Merrick's "Tony" medallion for "Hello, Dolly!" is apparently on the eBay auction block...having been recycled back in 1969 to bear someone else's name.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2004, 12:21:40 PM by RLP »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2004, 12:27:40 PM »

Jay, I as well was astonished that Johnny Depp won.  While I certainly enjoyed his performance, it is basically just a music hall turn.  

But then it's actors voting...I don't know if all SAG votes, but if so that something like 20,000 people, the vast majority of which are out-of-work simpletons more with the mentality of fans than accomplished working artists.  I look at the SAG awards as sort of a people's choice award.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2004, 12:49:33 PM »

der Brucer (looking for discount tickets to "WICKED" to keep SWW happy.)
What der B has decided is that we should do a test-run pre-Assassins, and is trying to decide on what to aim for tix-wise.

Which is why I would add to our "Hey, that sounds interesting" list Big Bill, by A. R. Gurney.  (I've never been to Lincoln Center.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2004, 12:56:34 PM »

Oh, oh, oh.  I am getting used to the new Windows XP operating system here at work, and noticed the Character Map actually has Esperanto letters in it.  Let's see if they come out right.  They should all have circumflexes (^) on top, except the u, which should have a breve.

Ĉ   ĉ

Ĝ   ĝ

Ĥ   ĥ

Ĵ     ĵ

Ŝ    ŝ

Ŭ    ŭ
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2004, 12:57:21 PM »

Well, they certainly don't look like letters on my screen, only Unicode numbers.  Anyone else see letters?  If so, what's your software?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2004, 12:57:47 PM »

Not necessarily my favorite songs, but ones that have special meaning to me.  Limiting Billy Joel to only one song was extremely difficult.  

1.  Heifetz performing Bruch’s “Scottish Fantasy”
2.  “When Sonny Gets Blue” Johnny Mathis
3.  “Mona Lisa” Nat King Cole
4.  “As Time Goes By”
5.  “Key Largo” Bertie Higgins
6.  “California Girls” Beach Boys (after all, I am a Calif. girl)
7.   “God Only Knows” Beach Boys
8.   “Days of Wine and Roses” Andy Williams
9.   “Tell Her About It”  Billy Joel
10. “The Best Gift” Barbra Streisand

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2004, 12:59:15 PM »

These are today's ten. For the last two, the OBCs are fine, though there may be more definitive recordings out there.

Will He Like Me (She Loves Me) - Barbara Cook
Gee, But It's Good To Be Here (Happy Hunting) - Ethel Merman
If Love Were All (Bittersweet) - Julie Andrews
Old Devil Moon (Finian's Rainbow) - Tony Bennett
I Didn't Know What Time It Was (Too Many Girls) - Ella Fitzgerald
Stranger In Paradise (Kismet) - Alfred Drake
Beyond The Sea - Bobby Darrin
Don't Rain On My Parade (Funny Girl) - Barbara Streisand
The Best Of Times (La Cage Aux Folles)
I Talk To The Trees (Paint Your Wagon)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2004, 01:08:09 PM »

What, no mix tapes with the song "Mix Tape?"  Well, I'm not including it, either.

In order:

(I'd Rather Be) Sailing, Norm Lewis, from A New Brain.  An honest love song.

Invocation & Instructions to the Audience, Bob Gunton & cast, A Stephen Sondheim Evening.  The lyrics are perfect.

Losing My Mind, Penny Orloff, as performed in Jewish Thighs on Broadway.  She hasn't recorded it yet, dang, but I'd want her version over the others.

Look Who's Alone Now, Barry Bostwick, Nick & Nora.  Torch song, male style.

Life Goes On, Stephen Schwartz, from the recording Reluctant Pilgrim.  A heartbreaker.

The Last Great Waltz, Mason Williams with Jennifer Warnes, from his album Music 1968-1971.  One of the funniest songs ever written, imo, and a great story song.

And They're Off, Malcolm Gets and company, A New Brain.  Another great story song.

The Sun Whose Rays are All Ablaze, Shirley Henderson, Topsy-Turvy soundtrack.

Somewhere/How Glory Goes, Audra McDonald, How Glory Goes (originally from West Side Story and Floyd Collins.)  A perfect pairing of the songs.

BONUS TRACK: Times Like This, Judy Blazer, Lucky Stiff.  You didn't think I wouldn't include a dog song, did you?

I've learned not to hit new friends over the head with classical too early.  Otherwise, I'd be including Copland's Third Symphony, fourth movement (based on Fanfare for the Common Man).

Somewhere, there's a psychiatrist rubbing his or her hands with glee, anticipating the chance to analyze our selections.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2004, 01:10:21 PM »

Oh, oh, oh.  I am getting used to the new Windows XP operating system here at work, and noticed the Character Map actually has Esperanto letters in it.  Let's see if they come out right.  They should all have circumflexes (^) on top, except the u, which should have a breve.

Ĉ   ĉ

Ĝ   ĝ

Ĥ   ĥ

Ĵ     ĵ

Ŝ    ŝ

Ŭ    ŭ

I'm glad I re-read what you wrote at the top of your post, DR William.  At first, I thought this was your list of numbers for your mix tape!

::)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up