Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEEDY BK  (Read 31231 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re:SPEEDY BK
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2004, 09:00:31 PM »

Well Dan. . .c'mon over. . .we'll have a hootenanny!

Yeah--a listening party!  Haven't been to one of those in years!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

td

• td
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2004, 09:03:41 PM »

Now, Dan, aren't you glad that you found us?  We are a helluva lot more fun than RATM (especially now that it has become Newport News).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2004, 09:04:24 PM »

Is it just me...or is the thrill gone regards American Idol...? Yeah, a much better group than last week but somehow I just found them all so boring and predictable and who cares...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #183 on: February 24, 2004, 09:06:07 PM »

Now, Dan, aren't you glad that you found us?  We are a helluva lot more fun than RATM (especially now that it has become Newport News).

Urp!  Now you went and spoiled my listening by bringing up that name.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #184 on: February 24, 2004, 09:08:07 PM »

Question for one and all:

Is it legal to give up sex for Lent, even if you haven't had any since before last Easter???

I don't mean me, of course!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2004, 09:08:48 PM »

I care a lot because as the competition develops over the course of weeks, we see some singers really develop and blossom, others start to let the pressure get the best of them, and there are some young exciting talents there who might really turn into something special. Can't wait to get to the theme shows and see how each of these folks handles singing certain types of songs. Always fascinating, I think.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2004, 09:10:06 PM »

Urp!  Now you went and spoiled my listening by bringing up that name.

Sorry. I was in the throes of a listening frenzy, wishing that the throes were being put to better use. . .or, at least being shared.   ;)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #187 on: February 24, 2004, 09:10:32 PM »

Hey, guys--quick protocol question.  I had earlier posted (and then quickly edited-out) something about a show that was on tonight.  When I submitted it I suddenly realized that maybe someone on the west coast (I'm on the east)  may not have seen said show and I could have spoiled it for them.  Exactly what is the time difference, TV-wise.  I know that there's a three hour time difference, but don't some areas air prime-time network shows an hour earlier?
-- Anaïs Nin

Tomovoz

« Reply #188 on: February 24, 2004, 09:14:08 PM »

If you really cared Dan you would say nothing for six months until the show is aired in Australia.
(Just kidding - I watch so little TV anyway). Of course despite the time delay in programming you are reading this yesterday!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #189 on: February 24, 2004, 09:14:42 PM »

Is it legal to give up sex for Lent, even if you haven't had any since before last Easter???

I think the idea is to give something up.  So you could give up not having sex.  
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: February 24, 2004, 09:20:40 PM »

I give up lint for Lent.  I simply will not have any lint on Lent.  Do you think Lynn Fontanne gave up Alfred Lunt for lent?  

Dan (the Man), when discussing TV shows that west coast readers might want to watch, it is best to post at least four hours after they've aired, and even then, do put a spoiler alert in your post, just in case someone has taped it.

Mr. Newport, of course, wouldn't give a flying Wallenda.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #191 on: February 24, 2004, 09:27:27 PM »

I think the idea is to give something up.  So you could give up not having sex.  

Dan, I like the way your mind works!  What time will you be over?

“One thing’s universal,

td

• td
« Reply #192 on: February 24, 2004, 09:32:26 PM »

Dear esteemed BK, it would seem that our eyes do not deceive us as far as THE DAMNED is concerned.  Check out these grabs from the Italian release compared to the new Warner disc:

http://mondo-digital.com/damnedgrabs.html

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #193 on: February 24, 2004, 09:37:48 PM »

Dan, I like the way your mind works!  What time will you be over?

Too late.  I'm over already.  

Speedy BK, thanks for the posting advice.

Good night, lads and lassies...
-- Anaïs Nin

Jed

« Reply #194 on: February 24, 2004, 09:39:51 PM »

Question for one and all:
I don't mean me, of course!

Hahaha!!!  Like father, like son.  :-\
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 09:56:08 PM by Jed »
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #195 on: February 24, 2004, 09:53:31 PM »

Good night, all.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #196 on: February 24, 2004, 09:58:53 PM »

Hahaha!!!  Like father, like son.  :-\

Well, of course, Jed, I meant you all the time.
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #197 on: February 24, 2004, 09:59:00 PM »

That's it?  Good night all?  When we suddenly have so many denizens.  Good night all?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #198 on: February 24, 2004, 10:00:21 PM »

That was a joke, son!

“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: February 24, 2004, 10:22:32 PM »

My goodness, how did we go from sixteen to one?  And it's early yet.  Has everyone given up HHW for Lent?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #200 on: February 24, 2004, 10:38:19 PM »

Good to see some other Northern Exposure fans around here.  In addition to the extreme quirkiness of it, and some fantastic character portrayals, it was always an extra bit of fun for me to see the tiny town of Roslyn (just a half-hour from my hometown) in the role of Cicely, Alaska, and occasionally seeing folks I know as extras.  I've been to The Brick a number of times, and I gotta say, the Cicely version is definitely more to my taste than the real thing. :)  FYI, the apostrophe and 's' have been removed from the Roslyn Cafe wall painting since the series ended (they were added for the show).  Last time I was in town, however, they still had the window with "Dr. Joel Fleischman" painted in the corner.  Another friend of mine who was a fan of the show has a hammer from the flung piano!

Shortly after the show ended, I saw John Cullum in Seattle in Man of La Mancha, and another NE alum, Peg Phillips, was just a few seats from me.  She stepped on my foot at intermission. :D

Jed, your post reminded me of a specific episode of "Northern Exposure" that I really liked.  It was the one where they explained how Cicely got it's name.  Rosyln and Cicely were two women who moved to the area in the 1800s and in the flashback, all of the regulars of the show became the people in the 1800s.  It was (from what I remember) a very touching episode.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jed

« Reply #201 on: February 24, 2004, 10:43:05 PM »

That was a joke, son!

And I laughed, Dad!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #202 on: February 24, 2004, 10:47:07 PM »

Good evening!

Well, I'm about to turn in...  But before I do...

I LOVED LaToya tonight on "American Idol".  She was the only who truly had a sense of presence tonight - for me.  And her pitch was basically dead on.  -The only quibble I had was that she was doing Celine Dion's version of "All By Myself".  And there was some other Celine earlier in the show.  -But I do love that triplet build into the final chorus.

As for the others...

Elizabeth - Nice way to start the show off.  I like that song, but it actually does need back-up singers to truly work.

Eric - Not a good song choice, imho.  Started off shaky and weak - probably equating singing softly with not having to breath as much.  And his falsetto - eh-eh.  More music theatre than pop to me.  *And I know I've played for him at a regional audition at least once if not twice.

Amy - Liked a lot, but, yes, she was weak in her upper register.  However, I think if she just tried more, she would have been able to belt those notes out.

Jonah - Not a chance! Nada! Zip! Zero!  I felt I was watching a bad karaoke night.

Jon Peter - Interesting voice.  Weird arrangement, ending of the song.  But if he's that uncomfortable being in front of a camera, then he's not an American Idol.  But I'd like to more from him in the future.

Charly - Very pitchy at the beginning.  I think she has the same "heart" appeal as the Hawaiian girl.  More a presence than a talent.

Leah - Very pitchy at the beginning too.  And she doesn't seem genuine to me.  -And from the shots of her mother/pop-star/coach... she just seems "created" to me, rather than real.

And, again, LaToya - Really impressed me.  Actually got me to look at her - well, look up from my laptop screen.

All in all, definitely a much better group than last week.  Much better.  As long as LaToya gets passed on to the next round, that's all I care about.  -And I'd pick Amy over Charly, Leah and Elizabeth.

OOOHHH!!! And I can't wait until next Monday - I can't believe they're getting some of the "losers" to come back and perform.  It's actually kind of mean on the producers parts, but some of those egos we saw on the tape... well, well, well.. we'll see....

*And now for some thoughts on "My Big Fat Obnoxious Fiance".. Just Plain Mean!  To put a family through that whole ordeal... just plain mean.  And from the way the finale wrapped up, it appears that even the producers had no idea just how far and how much the whole scenario would go.  The sense of "grand apology" in the "groom's" final speach was pandering.  -And he was actually on Letterman tonight, and even Letterman made a point of mentioning how they had "ruined" these people's lives.  And even though his comments were couched in his typical dry humor, you could tell he meant it.  Go Dave!

Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #203 on: February 24, 2004, 10:50:13 PM »

American Idol - It was obviously Latoya's night, no contest.  Beyond her, I won't be upset if Charly, Jon Peter, or Leah get the other spot.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #204 on: February 24, 2004, 10:55:25 PM »

Very busy day today. I quickly skimmed today's posts.

DR Jose -- the bride on that show is from my town. It ruined her career as a teacher. (Although frankly, as a first year teacher, it was pretty foolish of her to take a leave of absence two months into the school year to be on that show.) I didn't watch any of the show, so I have no idea what happened on it.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #205 on: February 24, 2004, 11:01:37 PM »

OK - Time for me to roll up my proverbial sidewalk.

???

And as for Lent...  A few years ago, I heard about an alternative to "giving something up" for Lent.  Instead you give something:

-volunteer some time for a charitable organization
-spend some time visiting some people at a nursing home
-spend some more time visiting with your parents and grandparents
-add a few extra dollars in your collection envelopes every Sunday
-smile at someone you don't normally smile at
-say, "Thank You," whenever appropriate and possible

In short, instead of emphasizing the "sacrificing" aspect, you end up helping someone else.  Making someone else feel special.  Make someone else smile.  -To paraphrase Sir Isaac Newton - To every negative action, there is an equal and positive reaction.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: February 24, 2004, 11:42:00 PM »

Very busy everyday, dear reader Laura, since we haven't been graced with one of your posts in a few days.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #207 on: February 24, 2004, 11:46:29 PM »

Newhart (the final episode...this was the best last episode of any show)

With St Elsewhere's a close second!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #208 on: February 24, 2004, 11:48:35 PM »

...you really should see me when I bow.

And you are facing which direction?
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #209 on: February 24, 2004, 11:51:24 PM »

A deinzen.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up