Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SPEEDY BK  (Read 31224 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SPEEDY BK
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2004, 09:58:35 AM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?  Well, I'm now Speedy BK.  Mr. Cable Modem Man came here and got me wired in no time flat.  I don't really see much of a difference yet except when I logged on to AOL I saw VIDEO.  That was cooliscious.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2004, 10:05:32 AM »

TV show compilation:

FLIPPER: Any episode where Brian Kelly takes his shirt off.

Wasn't that any episode, Michael?[/b]
[/color]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William E. Lurie

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2004, 10:10:09 AM »

They have announced the release date for the CD of BOUNCE (aka GOLD, aka WISE GUYS):  4/27/04
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2004, 10:14:39 AM »

Southern trash melodrama, MattH.  A genre, just like noir, romantic comedy, soap opera, etc.

I think MattH shares my amazement that folks often designate dramas set in the south with actors using southern accents as "southern trash."  I don't doubt BK's comment about it being a Hollywood "genre" at all.  Hollywood has reveled in presenting southerners in all sorts of less-than-ideal ways.

IMO, what makes a movie "trash" is not the region in which it is set.  What makes it trash is the writers of the screenplay.  To that end, there is definitely northern trash and eastern trash and western trash, yet you never see the phrase used at all as one descriptive of anything.  There is also "trailer trash", but that does not apply to everyone who lives in a trailer any more than "southern trash" applies to a movie about folks living in the south.    So...when a movie about some folks living in a tenement in NYC is done, they're poor, neglected, needy, the impoverished, possibly drug addicts.  Set that same movie in New Orleans and the folks are "trash."

There is trashy behavior aplenty in "The Chase."  But I think I'd reserve the phrase for "Hurry, Sundown," Otto Preminger's homage to his view of what constitutes "southern trash."

Over at the DVD site, BK shared some thoughts on "Walk on the Wild Side" and classified it as "overheated southern trash".  I ran right out and bought it over the weekend.  I've been southern all my life, and I've had my share of overheated moments.  And, yes, I've had a trashy experience or two.  So I'm ... like... interested.

But as a southerner, I have to say we southerns believe only a southerner can truly distinguish between what's southern normal and southern trash.  :D  

In quite a few movies and TV shows, folks poke fun and mistake the southern accents for ignorance and the slowness of a drawl for dimwittedness, but t'aint necessarily so...in fact, it's hardly ever so.

Just so's y'all know....
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 10:24:18 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2004, 10:14:46 AM »

SEEING THINGS - Only some of the Canadians will know this one. (Or people who used to watch late night PBS in NY.) The episode in which Kate Reid played the murderous mother of a midget. I don't remember the title. Totally surreal and funny. And I have to admit to a slight conflict of interest because I wrote it.

Is this the one?

13. Someone is Watching
gs: Henry Beckman (Harper) Mary Ann Coles (Lenore) Mark Parr (Davie) Kate Reid (Hannah) Chuck Shamata (Gary) Jayne Healey () Sean Hewitt () Libbie Lennie ()  

Heather's new home creates visions of bleeding pictures, creepy neighbors, and a horrific suicide for Louie.

b: 22-Jan-1984  

der Brucer (wondering about Panni's dreams)
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2004, 10:18:25 AM »

They have announced the release date for the CD of BOUNCE (aka GOLD, aka WISE GUYS):  4/27/04

That comes hot on the heels of the Assassins opening.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2004, 10:20:37 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I'm not as sore this morning as I thought I would be after yesterday's "plunge back into fitness".  We'll see how I feel after I do my Pilates this afternoon.  I just wish it wasn't such a gray day outside.  It's always kind of depressing when I go to open the blinds, and then realize that I already have.  Ah, well...

Topic of the Day:

The Carol Burnett Show - Especially the Gone with the Wind take-off!  And all of those production numbers!  And I still smile when I think back to that spoof commercial where Vicki Lawrence says, "I'm cleaning my oven while I sleep." -With her feet in the oven!

I Love Lucy - Many, many, many of them - if not all.  The commercial is always welcome viewing, as is the chocolate factory.

Night Gallery - Some of these really scared me.

The Night Stalker - Some of these really scared me too.

Gilligan's Island - Any episode where they tried to get off the island... ;)

thirtysomething - I was hooked on this show.  And one of my college directors was hooked on this show too.  So much so that Tuesday night rehearsals started slightly earlier, and ended earlier so that we would be home by 10:00.

A Year in the Life - This series deserved a much longer life.

Good Times - James' funeral.  "Damn! Damn! Damn!!!"

Sex & The City - The final two episodes.

Happy Days - Happy memories.  The potato salad episode sticks in my mind right now.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2004, 10:24:19 AM »

BK - Now that you have cable... -And you may be doing this already, be sure to browse the web "outside" of AOL.  I'm actually one of the few who likes AOL, but I will agree that with the latest releases, there's soo much stuff on the front page that the initial load can be very slow.  However, it's amazing how fast some sites will load in it's own IE window.  And since you are now on cable modem, you can do that!  And set a new home page!  And just click to your hearts content!  *And be sure your virus definitions are up to date.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2004, 10:29:23 AM »

I'm enjoying being Speedy BK.  I've been surfing via AOL and then IE.

Ben

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2004, 10:35:02 AM »

Jose, you make me think you're older than you really are :-) I loved 30 Something. I know that it was roundly dismissed and trashed by many people as being nothing more than Yuppie angst, but I found much of the show very beautifully done and sometimes quite touching. I watched it when it was first broadcast in the 80s on ABC and then when Bravo put it on (butchering it in the process) I watched it all again from the beginning. Peter Frechette and David Marshall Grant were wonderful as the gay men set up by their Philadelphia friends. Some other plot developments I thought were very well handled were the episodes with Corey Parker and Melanie Mayron with the older/younger situation and the difficulties of accepting a new person into your tight little group (Patricia Kalember as Peter's girlfriend Susannah Hart). Also Polly Draper's issues with dating a married and then separated man. I could go on, but I won't. The very first episodes certainly had their problems and I can see why some people didn't watch the entire series if they started with Episode 1 but if you hung on, IMHO (in my humble opinion) there was some mighty good work on that show. That's my two cents.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2004, 10:37:50 AM »

I especially liked her in one DS episode when she was playing a Gypsy fortune teller and there was a fly buzzing around her....for the entire scene.

Speaking of Ruth Buzzi - remember her Hollywood Gossip Columnist on Laugh-in....she was a Rona Barrett type woman who said the most awful things about people....LOL
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2004, 10:52:57 AM »

Jose, you make me think you're older than you really are :-) I loved 30 Something. I know that it was roundly dismissed and trashed by many people as being nothing more than Yuppie angst, ...

No.  The term from now on is Yuppie Trash.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

MBarnum

« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2004, 10:55:53 AM »

DR Lulu, I like that you mentioned Mystery Science Theater 3000 as that was one of my favorite shows! I rarely mention that program on any forum as there are so many people who seem to rabidly dislike it, but since you mentioned it I would be most curious to know what some of your favorite episodes are.

My faves that just have me rolling on the floor laughing are:

Horror of Party Beach
Sky Divers
Manos Hands of Fate
The Werewolf (I think that is the title...it is a 1980s movie with a Russian gal who has a difficult time pronouncing the word werewolf)
Gammera, the Invincible
Night of the Blood Beast
Space Children

Oh, my gosh there are so many funny ones...and I haven't even seen 1/2 of the episodes that showed on TV.

Anyone else who loved that show feel free to chime-in on your favorites.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2004, 10:58:56 AM »

No.  The term from now on is Yuppie Trash.

LOL.  

And from there we'll get "gangsta trash" and "blue collar urban trash" et.al.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2004, 11:02:22 AM »

I liked 30Something a lot....mostly because I liked the performers.

And of course I enjoyed MST3K - particularly with Joel.  My favorite is still Ator in CAVE DWELLERS although I also like NIGHT OF THE BLOOD BEAST and TEENAGERS FROM OUTER SPACE.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2004, 11:04:22 AM »

DR Lulu, I like that you mentioned Mystery Science Theater 3000 as that was one of my favorite shows! I rarely mention that program on any forum as there are so many people who seem to rabidly dislike it, but since you mentioned it I would be most curious to know what some of your favorite episodes are.

My faves that just have me rolling on the floor laughing are:

Horror of Party Beach
Sky Divers
Manos Hands of Fate
The Werewolf (I think that is the title...it is a 1980s movie with a Russian gal who has a difficult time pronouncing the word werewolf)
Gammera, the Invincible
Night of the Blood Beast
Space Children

Oh, my gosh there are so many funny ones...and I haven't even seen 1/2 of the episodes that showed on TV.

Anyone else who loved that show feel free to chime-in on your favorites.

Space Children?  I think I saw that one in the theater when I was a kid.  Is that the one where the children of NASA employees find this kind of throbbing rock (i.e. an alien life form ) that came down to earth to warn us against trying to send rockets into outer space?  And the children break into Cape Canaveral and sabotage the rocket launch?

“One thing’s universal,

DERBRUCER

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2004, 11:06:24 AM »

WARNING: Never ask a person on Social Security to reminisce.

Favorite TV (from my youth):

In the beginning:

and the ultimate in PC imperfection;

But look at the cast:

Beulah:      Ethel Waters
     Hattie McDaniel
     Louise Beavers
Harry Henderson:
      William Post, Jr.
     David Bruce
Alice Henderson:
      Ginger Jones
     Jane Frazee
Donnie Henderson:
      Clifford Sales
     Stuffy Singer
Oriole:      Butterfly McQueen
     Ruby Dandridge
Bill Jackson:
      Percy "Bud" Harris
     Dooley Wilson
     Ernest Whitman

Then there was "Your Hit Parade" with the improbable named Snooky Lanson and Dorothy Collins before she lost her mind. (Imagine: Singers advertising cigarettes!)

Studio One - "The Laugh Maker" (1953) is an intriguing drama about a comedian, starring Jackie Gleason and Art Carney; co-starring a then skinny Mrs “Born Yesterday” Garson Kanin -Marian Seldes (“Deathtrap”)

[Note:  From 1967 to 1991 (Marian) was a faculty member of the Juilliard School of Drama, where her students included Kevin Kline, Patti LuPone, Kevin Spacey, and Laura Linney.]

Philco Television Playhouse:

Paddy Chayefsky's  "Marty," aired on 24 May 1953. Directed by Delbert Mann, the production starred Rod Steiger as in the title role.

Horton Foote's "A Trip to Bountiful" later staged on Broadway in the 1950s and reshot as a film in the 1980s. Actress Geraldine Paige won an Oscar for Best Actress for her performance in the film.

And then there was Loretta Young - who gave new meaning to "opening doors".

There was my favorite teacher "Our Miss Brooks", "My Friend Irma", My Little Margie", and Sondheim's favorite "Topper".

Then, of course:

"As the early morning bugle call of the covered wagon trains fades away among the echoes, another true Death Valley Days is presented by the famous Borax family of products- 20 Mule Team Borax and Boraxo. "

"Mission Impossible" - done right!

der Brucer

Guilty pleasure form the 90's

« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 01:18:06 PM by DERBRUCER »

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2004, 11:06:25 AM »

Here is your latest report from Long Island Trash.

I had an orgy of buying yesterday, both on hhw (Kritzer Time, oh boy!) and on amazon, where I managed to order used copies of Dragonheart, the novelization by our very own DR Charles Pogue and Night of the Hunter, the CD produced by our very own DW BK, as well as the DVD of Elaine Stritch at Liberty; the CD of Kate Mulgrew in Tea at Five; Jewish Thighs on Broadway by our very own PennyO; Sherry; Nick and Nora; It's a Bird... It's a Plane... It's Superman (so do I file it under I or S?); the new Wonderful Town; OCRs of Seesaw, House of Flowers and Jerry Herman's Parade and the book Colored Lights by John Kander.

I love ordering on-line, because when the books and CDs arrive it's like a Christmas present.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2004, 11:09:49 AM »

I feel the same way DR WFO...the mailman is like Santa Claus.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh....DRJose.....that episode of GOOD TIMES was so sad, and Esther Rolle was devastating....and remember GT was a spin off from MAUDE.....Rolle had played Maude's maid for a couple of seasons before she and her family moved to Chicago.  "Damn...damn...damn!"  There goes the punch bowl!

Only thing that made me sadder was the first episode of Archie's Place when Archie went back home and found Edith's slippers under the bed.....

MBarnum

« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2004, 11:11:25 AM »

Space Children?  I think I saw that one in the theater when I was a kid.  Is that the one where the children of NASA employees find this kind of throbbing rock (i.e. an alien life form ) that came down to earth to warn us against trying to send rockets into outer space?  And the children break into Cape Canaveral and sabotage the rocket launch?

Indeed that is the same film! A Universal-International release starring one of my fave actresses Peggy Webber (whose interview is coming up in a future issue of Scarlet Street) and as one of her sons the young Mr. Johnny Crawford.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 11:12:33 AM by MBarnum »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2004, 11:15:06 AM »

SEEING THINGS - Only some of the Canadians will know this one. (Or people who used to watch late night PBS in NY.) The episode in which Kate Reid played the murderous mother of a midget. I don't remember the title. Totally surreal and funny. And I have to admit to a slight conflict of interest because I wrote it.

LOL-that is great.   :)

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2004, 11:16:35 AM »

THE Johnny Crawford?  When I was a kid I used to dream that I was Johnny Crawford, so that Chuck Conners could be my father.

“One thing’s universal,

William E. Lurie

« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2004, 11:16:50 AM »

That comes hot on the heels of the Assassins opening.

New York is having an unofficial Sondheim festival this year.  In addition to the BOUNCE CD and ASSASSINS, we have

* The current Broadway GYPSY

* DVD Releases of the Hearn/Lansbury SWEENY TODD and "The Last of Shelia"

* SWEENEY TODD at City Opera

* MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG in Brooklyn

* A revised version of THE FROGS at Lincoln Center

* Roundabout's PACIFIC OVERTURES

* A new compilation revue of Sondheim at Carnegie Hall
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2004, 11:16:58 AM »

Here is your latest report from Long Island Trash.

I love ordering on-line, because when the books and CDs arrive it's like a Christmas present.

Aint' it the truth!  I love getting packages!  I don't mind at all that they're from ME!

:D
« Last Edit: February 24, 2004, 11:18:20 AM by RLP »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2004, 11:19:39 AM »

AND Space Children also featured the mobile home from THE LONG LONG TRAILER!!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2004, 11:23:10 AM »

Good vibes to Swishy Sarah!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2004, 11:25:52 AM »

Peter Frechette and David Marshall Grant were wonderful as the gay men set up by their Philadelphia friends.

Gee, sounds like a prequel to "Brothers", which debuted on Showtime 20 years ago.

der Brucer (who tries to never miss a Philly show)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2004, 11:31:04 AM »

I knew Grayson Hall slightly through a friend of a friend (that you never know) and she was a lovely lady; she promised to tell me about the HAPPY END traumas - Shirley Knight's being replace by Meryl Streep, Bob Gunton taking over Bill's role, the director being replaced - but never did.  I still can't believe it wasn't recorded as a cast album.

TV Shows:  due to drugs, sex, rock-n-roll, and theatre work, my television memory is blurry, but I recall with affection these few:

I LOVE LUCY:  the William Holden episode with the burning nose
I LOVE LUCY:  the Talullah Bankhead episode
CAROL BURNETT:  "Babes in Barns"
                         "Gone with the Wind"
                         "Mildred Fierce"
CAR 54, WHERE ARE YOU:  Charlotte Rae thinking she's going to be killed
BONANZA:  the Vaugn Meader parody ofCyrano de Bergerac
TWILIGHT ZONE:  Agnes Morehead

What I really recall with affection were the specials:  Max Liebman's BABES IN TOYLAND, which really stank in a recent viewing, A CONNECTICUT YANKEE and  DEAREST ENEMY, the Hallmark Hall of Fame presentations, the Rosalind Russell WONDERFUL TOWN.  There was a ONE TOUCH OF VENUS I was much too young to understand, and a wonderful KISS ME, KATE with Alfred Drake that might have been a Hallmark presentation, and which recently got rebroadcast in New York.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2004, 11:44:47 AM »

I have personal firewall plus now, how about that?  No one shall hack my computer, baby.

I am Speedy BK, which is more than I can say about this here site today.

Tomovoz

« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2004, 11:45:52 AM »

DR TOMOV OZ do NOT send me the CD you were thinking of burning yesterday, and please tell me you were joking.  Bernadette, Justin, and Eminem?!!

Too late Jack!
The worry is that I could indeed do it from my collection!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up