Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PHLEGM AND THE HOARSENESS  (Read 61631 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE PHLEGM AND THE HOARSENESS
« on: October 11, 2008, 12:05:08 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes had phegm and were hoarse, and now it is time for you to post until the hoarse cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE PHLEGM AND THE HOARSENESS
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2008, 12:06:06 AM »

And the word of the day is: HYPOCORISM!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 12:21:20 AM »

One good thing about this new version of the board that I just discovered was when I was going to post a post but BK locked the day and I thought that I had lost the post, but when I clicked on the "back" button in my browser (I'm using Internet Explorer), the information was still there! 

On the previous board, if you clicked "back," the information was completely gone (unless you had the foresight to save it, which I didn't).  Now (so far), it might not be the problem it used to be! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 12:22:44 AM »

That's good - it's awful to lose posts.

George

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 12:27:10 AM »

That's good - it's awful to lose posts.

You got that right.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2008, 12:27:40 AM »

Well, last night's reading with Ursula K. Le Guin was a complete success!  Two years ago, when the "Timberland Reads Together" book was "The Secret Life of Bees," we held a reading with the narrator of the abridged version of the talking book in the Washington Center black box theater that holds about 140 people.  We were able to squeeze in another 40 people but had to turn away around 15 or so (I ushered that evening). 

George

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2008, 12:29:31 AM »

Last year, we held the reading in the Washington Center main stage and we had over 300 people.  Last night, we were again at the Washington Center main stage (which has a total of 988 seats) and we had over 700, count 'em 700 people!  Ursula stayed afterwards and signed autographs for anyone who wanted one.  She stayed for about 45 minutes.  A good time was had by all!

George

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2008, 12:45:03 AM »

Anyway, I got one of the posters that Timberland produced and gave out last night.  The artwork was done by a woman named Sarah, who works in the library's communications department.  She had the idea to create original artwork for the TRT events and she came up with a wonderful design:

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 12:48:28 AM by George »

George

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2008, 12:51:14 AM »

Here's a picture of the actual poster that I got:

George

« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2008, 12:55:20 AM »

You can barely see it, but up at the top, Ursula wrote "For George." ;D

And the autograph on the bottom left is Sarah Kellington's, the illustrator of the poster.  She signs "SKellington," which always reminds me of Jack Skellington from "The Nightmare Before Christmas." ;)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 12:56:58 AM by George »

George

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2008, 12:58:21 AM »

And finally, here's Ursula's autograph, close up:

George

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2008, 01:01:18 AM »

Good night, all.

:)

FJL

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2008, 04:06:12 AM »

There's a fine musical version of Ursula LeGuin's THE MASTERS which I saw several years ago; it's called THE HIDDEN SKY, written by dear friends Kate Chisholm and Peter Foley.  There's info here at this link (and I think a clip or two on this site) if anyone is interested, or if any of the Guests is a producer looking for a fascinating work:

http://hellagoodmusic.com/works/theater/hidden_sky_02.htm

Actually, the song samples are on THIS page:
 http://hellagoodmusic.com/works/theater/hidden_sky.htm

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 04:08:09 AM by FJL »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2008, 04:32:32 AM »

More links.

Yes, DR JOSE they are sending a prepaid label for pick up for my television.  My nephew took my new TV back, but because he didn't have my credit card, they could only credit a refund to me and not give him an exchange.  So I went into the storage room and got out the 13" television set, so I will watch that for a couple of weeks - or for as long as I can stand it.  It sure is SMALL!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2008, 04:34:55 AM »

DR TCB - thanks for the story....it was lovely...and it was very sad. 

Sounds like DR GEORGE had a great time last night.  DR CILLA LIZ was working....

I am one of the people in a Class Action suit.  When I worked for the Indiana School for the Deaf we worked 40 hours a week although other people in our same classification worked 37.5 hours a week.  It's a long story....but they need to know my beginning and ending salaries at ISD....which covered the years 1987-1992....and I hope I can get those numbers from State Personnel.  We shall see.

FJL

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2008, 04:44:33 AM »

Fascinating 3-minute  naughty bit of a TV show clip from the 1970's called RAINBOW, Not Suitable for Work for its suggestiveness though nothing "adult" visually.  Have we seen this here before?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApiPS6GAy_0&feature=rec-fresh

FJL

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2008, 04:45:34 AM »

FRom RAINBOW:  Everybody let's learn our counting:  "One skin, two skin, three skin...."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2008, 04:48:21 AM »

Oh my.....RAINBOW made me laugh.  Which is good because I have to work today.  Oh well.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2008, 05:18:55 AM »

Off to work.  Oh well.

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2008, 05:29:16 AM »

Vibes to DR Jose's mother. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I am tired. My niece called at 7am this morning and asked "auntie what are you doing?"

I said:"Sleeping!"  :)

Laura

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2008, 06:16:42 AM »

I told Mr. Goldstein that I would play with Mae-Ling and Wae-Ling today and give him a day off. I should have a busy day trying to keep up with them!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ben

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2008, 06:29:31 AM »

Morning all.

My sister and her gentleman friend (he's too old to be called a boyfriend, they are both in their late 40s) are driving to Wisconsin this morning to see Anthony's show. They will arrive sometime this afternoon, visit with Anthony and see the evening performance. They have booked a room at the Holiday Inn Express and will stay the night, leaving tomorrow morning. Anthony is excited about their visit. My sister's boyfriend (or gentleman friend) has never, in his entire 48 years, been in a theatre to see a live theatrical performance. My sister has been trying to explain that a play, especially a musical from 1962, is different from a movie. You don't get jump cuts and different scenes and a scene might go on, with a song, for 8 or 10 minutes. I think he'll enjoy it but it will open up a whole new world for him. Dinner theatre in Wisconsin!

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2008, 06:51:13 AM »

And the word of the day is: HYPOCORISM!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  LET ME CALL YOU SWEETHEART

singdaw

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2008, 07:03:10 AM »

***SUPER-STRENGTH THROAT VIBES***
for bk!!!

And may the LAACTA event go off without a hitch!   :)

singdaw

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2008, 07:10:13 AM »

I am now all caught up.

FELICITATIONS to DRs Vixmom and Ron Pulliam on their respective milestones!    :D

Continued ***RECOVERY VIBES*** to DR TCB's friend Stan [& to DC Angel, as well!]

Yea! for DR td on resuming his new/old job, and Nay! for DR George on the demise of Loot!

Huzzah for bk on his agent's interest in Kritzer and Condolences to DR JRand58 on the problems with his television...and to DR Jeanne on the problems with her oven.

Happy Entertaining, DR Jane!

singdaw

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2008, 07:11:00 AM »

Thanks for the Ant update, DR Ben.  I got the most lovely long letter from him in the mail yesterday!   :)

singdaw

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2008, 07:14:12 AM »

Not feeling well today...   I think I have a touch of what bk is suffering with.  In any event, I can't sing, so unforunately had to pull out of the benefit cabaret tonight, where I was to have performed Sondheim's "Move On" with someone.   I feel bad about letting them down.

I am sleeping a lot.  I may rouse myself long enough to view the live HD broadcast of Strauss's Salome from the Met this afternoon, for which I've had tickets for ages.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2008, 07:17:32 AM »

Good morning, all! I'm listening to the London cast of the 1980's musical WINDY CITY, of which I'm very fond, and now I've a hankering to reread THE FRONT PAGE. Instead, today I've got a lot of work on Volume 2 of BABES IN TOYLAND and the final proof of the Moross score for HUCKLEBERRY FINN to check. I also need to plan my walk this morning and whatever errands I need to accomplish by its end.

Last night I reread Sacheverell Sitwell's La Vie Parisienne: A Tribute to Offenbach while I killed the hour between MEDIUM and LIFE, so tonight I've got to catch up on some DVDs.

DR Jose, are you taking the Bolt Bus or another modus travelandi?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2008, 07:42:07 AM »

Good morning!

Cool again but with lots of sunshine. And there's no rain in our forecast for the next five days. I'm sure the NASCAR people are joyous about this since this week's race is in Charlotte.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2008, 07:43:38 AM »

I'll likely watch SUPERNATURAL while I cook and eat lunch today. Then I'll settle in with CSI for the remainder of the day. There are a good many bonus featurettes in this set, and there are two on the disc that's currently in the player.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10   Go Up