Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Down

Author Topic: PLAYING THE KAZOO  (Read 39523 times)

Cillaliz

Re: PLAYING THE KAZOO
« Reply #330 on: October 17, 2008, 06:50:10 PM »

from TCB

Nobody Gives A Damn, But TCB

Last night, Jane posted a link to a story of Millvina Dean, the last survivor of the Titanic sinking.  This story was in regards to her selling off some items in the hope of staying in the nursing home where she has been living.  Like Jrand, I hope that someone will come forward and pay a great deal more for the items so that she may remain where she is living for whatever time she has left.

Inclued with the story was this picture of Millvina Dean.

In the background is the ship Royal Majesty on which, according to the caption, Ms. Dean sailed out to the wreck site in August 1996.  Since I was on that ship, I was confused because, although Ms Dean was at the dock when we arrived back in Boston, I did not remember her sailing out to the Titanic site with us on the Royal Majesty.

I did some research today, and, although she was at the dock in Boston, as I remembered, she was the only one of the then four suvivors who decided not to go to the site.  She was at the dock for our arrival and the expected reception honoring the arrival of the "great piece" of the ship which broke free and sank back to the bottom of the ocean, the day before.

TCB, I definitely give a damn.If you only knew how into the Titanic I was a few years ago. I'm not talking just about the movie, although I was into that too. Right now I am readling "Titanic's Last Secrets....."  http://www.amazon.com/Titanics-Last-Secrets-Adventures-Chatterton/dp/0446582050/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224294143&sr=8-1  I am very very jealous (in a good way) that you got to go on that trip.   I was so excited to see the Exhibition on one of it's first tours. I was in St. Paul the day after they tried the horn and it worked!  I saw the "great piece" of the ship...or at least a big hunk of it, that I think they may have brought up after your trip.  (Is that right?)  I find everything you say about the trip fascinating.  Thanks for sharing

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #331 on: October 17, 2008, 06:50:29 PM »

Watching some old TV shows right now, about which more later.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #332 on: October 17, 2008, 07:02:11 PM »

'night

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #333 on: October 17, 2008, 07:14:32 PM »

Hey TCB, you up for ice cream sometime?

FJL

« Reply #334 on: October 17, 2008, 07:17:58 PM »

td - Had dinner with Ann Miner and some other folks.  Were your ears burning briefly around 7:05 pm?

BK - Ann couldn't imagine any reason that the "Back to Bacharach" press release wouldn't have been posted on All That Chat.  Are you sure it was sent to them?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #335 on: October 17, 2008, 07:18:03 PM »

Good Evening!

So, it looks like tomorrow night's "Saturday Night Live" could be a quite a doozy.  Sarah Palin is confirmed as a guest - the rumor is that she is going to play "Tina Fey".  ;)  -And Josh Brolin is the host - and he's currently starring in "W" as "W".  Hmmm...  Set your VCRs/DVRs now!
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #336 on: October 17, 2008, 07:19:43 PM »

DR TCB, I give a damn :)

Don't you feel better knowing you had the facts straight :D

Thank you, Jane.  Yes, I do.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #337 on: October 17, 2008, 07:19:46 PM »

Just got my first ever bile-spewing, death-threatening "fan" mail about one of my reviews.  Ready for the punchline?  It's in response to my review of the Alice Faye boxed set.  I am LMAO.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #338 on: October 17, 2008, 07:26:24 PM »

I had a good visit with my Mom at the hospital.  I do have to admit it was a little difficult watching her having to be helped around in her bed when the nurse came in to take her vitals.  It was the first time I saw just how weak she is right now.  And I could also tell that she was trying to "show off" for me when she was doing her breath test too.

I did get a chance to talk with her nurse, and her basic response was, "I know what you mean.  I've had parents in the hospital too." ;) I asked a bunch of questions, and she gave me the same follow-up literature that she gave my Mom and Dad.  Thankfully, my Dad was already committing to memory the dietary guidelines.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #339 on: October 17, 2008, 07:26:28 PM »

from TCB

Nobody Gives A Damn, But TCB

Last night, Jane posted a link to a story of Millvina Dean, the last survivor of the Titanic sinking.  This story was in regards to her selling off some items in the hope of staying in the nursing home where she has been living.  Like Jrand, I hope that someone will come forward and pay a great deal more for the items so that she may remain where she is living for whatever time she has left.

Inclued with the story was this picture of Millvina Dean.

In the background is the ship Royal Majesty on which, according to the caption, Ms. Dean sailed out to the wreck site in August 1996.  Since I was on that ship, I was confused because, although Ms Dean was at the dock when we arrived back in Boston, I did not remember her sailing out to the Titanic site with us on the Royal Majesty.

I did some research today, and, although she was at the dock in Boston, as I remembered, she was the only one of the then four suvivors who decided not to go to the site.  She was at the dock for our arrival and the expected reception honoring the arrival of the "great piece" of the ship which broke free and sank back to the bottom of the ocean, the day before.

TCB, I definitely give a damn.If you only knew how into the Titanic I was a few years ago. I'm not talking just about the movie, although I was into that too. Right now I am readling "Titanic's Last Secrets....."  http://www.amazon.com/Titanics-Last-Secrets-Adventures-Chatterton/dp/0446582050/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1224294143&sr=8-1  I am very very jealous (in a good way) that you got to go on that trip.   I was so excited to see the Exhibition on one of it's first tours. I was in St. Paul the day after they tried the horn and it worked!  I saw the "great piece" of the ship...or at least a big hunk of it, that I think they may have brought up after your trip.  (Is that right?)  I find everything you say about the trip fascinating.  Thanks for sharing

Yes, Cilla, although the piece dropped off back into the sea, they had a tracking device attached to it.  That was important because it dropped off several miles from the orignal location.  In August of 1998, RMS Titanic, Inc. went back to the site and raised the piece to the surface.  Although I missed out on my chance to be photographed touching the piece, I did see it in the touring exhibition at the Seattle Science Center.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #340 on: October 17, 2008, 07:27:29 PM »

Hey TCB, you up for ice cream sometime?

Yeah, sure.  I know I owe sunny boy an e-mail.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #341 on: October 17, 2008, 07:29:36 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #342 on: October 17, 2008, 07:31:36 PM »

I was also glad that my Dad took as long a "break" as he did.  He had been there since this morning, and while he was down in the cafeteria, he was able to call his friends and relatives and give them updates.

My brother, Don, is coming down from Fairfax tomorrow morning, and I think we're going to do some "re-wiring" of the computer set-up here at the house.  Right now, everything is upstairs, and I think we're going to move it all downstairs to make it easily accessible for my Mom.  -And she wants us to set up a Skype account too.  -Apparently, everyone "back home in the Philippines" is now Skype-ing.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #343 on: October 17, 2008, 07:33:11 PM »

In Oregon we vote by mail. It is most convenient.

MBarnum

« Reply #344 on: October 17, 2008, 07:33:42 PM »

DR Jose, if your mom is diabetic...well, you might want to be checking your blood sugar now and then as well.

MBarnum

« Reply #345 on: October 17, 2008, 07:34:09 PM »

I sounded just like Jose in that last post.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #346 on: October 17, 2008, 07:45:59 PM »

After I left the hospital, I headed over to Steve's...  -After I finished crying (finally), we headed to Joe's Inn for dinner.  I satisfied my craving for their Spaghetti a la Greek - baked spaghetti topped with feta, provolone and romano cheeses, and meat sauce, and Steve had one of the cheesiest Chicken Parmigiana's either of us had ever seen.

We were going to go to Bev's for dessert - more ice cream - but Steve mentioned that the small market across the street from Joe's Inn was now carrying baked goods and other treats from one of my favorite Richmond restauranteurs, Stella Dikos.  :)  And when I looked at the display case, I saw a lot of wonderful "memories": Greek Wedding Cookies, Greek Style Cheesecake, Pumpkin Cheesecake, Banana Pudding, etc.  They were also selling some of her savories: tzatziki, house-cured olives, marinated fava beans, moussaka, pastitsio...  However, what I was most pleased to see were the loaves of Stella's famous breads.  Not only were they selling her amazing "table bread", but they also had loaves of her Apple & Black Walnut Cinnamon Streusel Bread.

Each Christmas, Stella would give me a loaf of that bread as a Christmas present, and I would also buy a couple extras to give to others or for parties.  It's been four or five years since I've had the bread, and, well... I bought a loaf of it tonight to take back to New York, as well as a "muffin loaf" of it for tomorrow's breakfast.  Alas, Stella was not there tonight, but they did have a little notebook where people could write messages for her.  So, I did.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #347 on: October 17, 2008, 07:47:56 PM »

Interesting Frances Farmer news from DR JMK....a star for Frances....  Does she have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame or whatever that is?

Happiest of anniversaries to DR VIXMOM and VIXDAD.

DR CILLA LIZ - I will be interested to hear how the WW goes.  As I wrote, my friend Jerry conducts the classes and they have a great success rate.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #348 on: October 17, 2008, 07:48:43 PM »

DR JOSE what a LOT of life you are having in all in ONE visit!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #349 on: October 17, 2008, 07:49:02 PM »

I want one Tonto Shirt and one Tonto brief.  Two of each would be the height of extravagance.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #350 on: October 17, 2008, 07:49:56 PM »

I am shocked and appalled at the saga of DRJANE's tickets....kind of like DR VIXMOM's microwave.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #351 on: October 17, 2008, 07:50:54 PM »

DR Jose, if your mom is diabetic...well, you might want to be checking your blood sugar now and then as well.

Trust me, I'm way ahead of you on that one.

Oh, I do have a correction to make.  When my Dad got back to the room, I asked him why my Mom was not using a blood glucose meter since she's a diabetic.  He said that she has been using one, and is hoping to get a better one.  I guess she's just been "hiding" it well.  However, I have to say that with the contents of the fridge and pantry here, and just watching how and what my Mom eats whenever I'm down here for a visit, I never would have guessed that she was a diabetic.  ???

...And since my Dad is a prostate cancer survivor, I have a bit of a laundry list of things to get checked for at my next physical.
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

« Reply #352 on: October 17, 2008, 07:51:00 PM »

I am shocked and appalled at the saga of DRJANE's tickets....kind of like DR VIXMOM's microwave.

The cop would have never seen Vixmom there to begin with.   ;D

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #353 on: October 17, 2008, 07:51:15 PM »

Alice Faye fans are vicious!  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #354 on: October 17, 2008, 07:51:55 PM »

Well I bought an HP Pavilion 6635 Computer and printer from EBAY on Wednesday.  It is for use at work.  Not much memory, but we just need it to load BookLog and run the cash register....

It arrived today!!  And it works.   I will be taking it to the store on Sunday, and my brother in law will try to load BookLog onto it....hopefully he won't crash and burn it.

Total for the entire system, with all cables, disks, and shipping:  $51.......

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #355 on: October 17, 2008, 07:52:21 PM »

Alice Faye fans are vicious!  :)

What did you say about the Alice Faye box?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #356 on: October 17, 2008, 07:52:39 PM »

Interesting Frances Farmer news from DR JMK....a star for Frances....  Does she have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame or whatever that is?

DR JRand - Frances Farmer does not have a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.  I asked about her/it when I was in L.A. earlier this year.  I was hoping to be able to take a picture for you.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #357 on: October 17, 2008, 07:53:21 PM »

Lovely pictures of DR ANN and N(EW)R(EADER)  TOBY

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #358 on: October 17, 2008, 07:55:22 PM »

DR JRand - Frances Farmer does not have a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.  I asked about her/it when I was in L.A. earlier this year.  I was hoping to be able to take a picture for you.

Shocking!  Thanks for the thought!

I am sure Ms Allison Hayes is also without a star....Hollywood is not a great place for history...even its own.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #359 on: October 17, 2008, 07:56:13 PM »

Nice cool evening here now.

Tomorrow would usually be a work day for me, but I am not working, I have another task to accomplish.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14   Go Up