Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LONG PLAY  (Read 25530 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: LONG PLAY
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2008, 05:09:07 AM »

~~~~~~~~Computer Vibes for Cillaliz~~~~~~~~~~~
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2008, 05:23:18 AM »

off to work!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: October 23, 2008, 05:29:52 AM »

Good morning, all! I'm waiting for the phone to ring; a friend is having minor surgery this morning and I have to pick him up on the East Side when he's released from recovery and take him home. Then, I have some work about the apartment, physical therapy at noon, and my walk.

I believe the worst play i ever sat through was a boring production of Tennessee Williams' CAMINO REAL, which seemed many times longer than it actually may have been. Much as I admire WAITING FOR GODOT, it's a play I will never sit through again, and the production I saw was Sir Peter Hall's at the Old vic with Denis Quilley, Alan Howard, and Ben Kingsley. It was quite well done, but I loathed every interminable minute of it.

DR George, anyone who would take Blitzstein's wonderful THREEPENNY OPERA adaptation and replace his singable lyrcis with another's is an oaf. Do it or don't do it, but don't screw with it. If it weren't for Marc Blitzstein, there most likely would have been no major interest in Brecht or Weill in this country for a much longer time. His lyrics may not be as dirty as some of these morons who think Brecht is just filthy German slang would like, but instead - because of the time they were written - they're sly and funnier than Brecht ever could be. The other thing about THREEPENNY OPERA is that it's funny, a comedy with songs taken from an 18th-Century satire; it isn't a Third-Reich indictment or a rougher version of CABARET. The last revival at Roundabout, and the 1976 Public Theatre production, suffered from the same problem.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2008, 05:32:16 AM »

I am meeting friends from the DEPT of LABOR for shopping and lunch in a bit.....I shall return.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2008, 05:39:09 AM »

Continued vibes to Sassy the cat

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2008, 05:58:09 AM »

And the word of the day is: MEEKEN!

And The Song Of The Day Is: CELLOPHANE

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2008, 06:11:08 AM »

* * * * * Vibes for DR Tomovoz's friend Allan  * * * * *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ginny

« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2008, 06:15:07 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  I have a quiet office day today - with neither manager around.  Tomorrow is our annual staff day and then I'm off until next Friday to go to Richard's graduation in Wisconsin.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2008, 06:17:55 AM »

TOD - Like DR SWW, I remember an endless touring production of No, No Nanette that played the Fisher Theatre in Detroit.  I was on a double date and the woman in the other couple took out her contacts at intermission, saying she'd seen enough.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2008, 06:18:55 AM »

Healing vibes to Allan, friend of DR Tomovoz, and coping vibes to Allan's partner, Carol.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: October 23, 2008, 06:36:18 AM »

TOD:

Longest evening I recall ever spending in a theatre was STRANGE INTERLUDE starring Glenda Jackson back during the 80's.  I was prepared for the length but I had no ideal how agonizing it turned out to be to sit through that thing.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: October 23, 2008, 06:43:23 AM »

Vibes for Allan. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Computer vibes for DR Cillaliz. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laura

« Reply #42 on: October 23, 2008, 06:50:45 AM »

Prayers and vibes to Allan and Carol. You are good friends, Tom and Colin.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2008, 06:51:27 AM »

Sassy seems to be recovering. She is enjoying the daily canned cat food. The other felines are jealous.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ben

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2008, 06:54:32 AM »

Anthony is somewhere in Indiana driving back to New York. He left Chicago at 6am (Chicago time, an hour behind us) and will be in New York City sometime this evening.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2008, 06:58:09 AM by Ben »

Ben

« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2008, 06:54:53 AM »

Good thoughts to Tom and his friends in Australia

Ben

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2008, 06:55:44 AM »

I am counting the days until November 26th when I leave the office until January 5th. I still have much work to do but my vacation date keeps me going.

Ginny

« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2008, 06:57:30 AM »

Travel vibes to Anthony!

Ben

« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2008, 06:57:30 AM »

I'm listening to A Grand Night for Singing. Earlier I listened to Hello, Dolly! (not BKs but the original 1964 recording) and then I listened to Hallelujah, Baby. After that I will listen to one of Dear Laura's favorites, Forever Plaid. Two Jason Graae recordings in one morning!

Ben

« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2008, 06:59:10 AM »

Travel vibes to Anthony!

I told him to wave in Indiana, Ohio and Pennsylvania to Dear Friends Jack, Ginny and Richard and TD.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #50 on: October 23, 2008, 07:13:46 AM »

BK,

Did you send me your cold (or whatever you have)?

This is the first time I've had a a cold in years.

Ugh!

:-\

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #51 on: October 23, 2008, 07:19:43 AM »

Most boring play?

Off the top of my head, I'd have to say MORE STATELY MANSIONS.

It's a Eugene O'Neill play and, as I recall, it had never been staged before, or it had not been staged in 50 years, or something of that sort.

It was done, either in the late 1960s or early 1970s, at the Ahmanson in Los Angeles with a fantastic cast, headed by Ingrid Bergman.

The play was no LONG DAY'S JOURNEY INTO NIGHT or THE ICEMAN COMETH.

I may have fallen asleep in it.
You can dream…or you can do.

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: October 23, 2008, 07:23:04 AM »

Oops, there IS a manager here today!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2008, 07:24:51 AM »

Good morning!

COld morning, and it's only warming into the 60s today, so I may try to last one more day without flipping on the heat, but this will likely be it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: October 23, 2008, 07:28:12 AM »

My friends and I did go out this morning for doughnuts. I had two eclairs and bought another for my dessert this afternoon. This was a nice change of pace from my usual morning oatmeal.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2008, 07:29:06 AM »

I'll be working on that Criterion disc today. I'd like to get two movies watched out of the box today if possible, but with a full night of TV, that may not be possible. We'll see how the day goes.

Matt H.

« Reply #56 on: October 23, 2008, 07:30:19 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

ABC - UGLY BETTY, GREY'S ANATOMY, LIFE ON MARS
NBC - comedies, ER
CBS - SURVIVOR, CSI, ELEVENTH HOUR
FOX - World Series
CW  - SMALLVILLE, SUPERNATURAL

Matt H.

« Reply #57 on: October 23, 2008, 07:32:40 AM »

The longest evening in the theater I ever remember was a local production of WITNESS FOR THE PROSECUTION. It was so horribly acted and so lethargically paced that it seemed endless.

On Broadway, the longest evening I can ever remember enduring was the musical AIDA. I didn't like it at all, and it seemed far longer than it probably was.

td

• td
« Reply #58 on: October 23, 2008, 07:41:05 AM »

Shakespeare immediately pops to mind when mulling over the TOD.
Camera Obscura did a production of MEASURE FOR MEASURE, which I saw as a freshman in college.  This particular touring company played in the gymnasium at Carnegie-Mellon, and it was roughly around Indian Summer.  The heat was high, the show was long, the verse was indeed obscure; not even the gratuitous male and female nudity could generate much interest.  Since it was an assigned viewing, I remained for the whole show.  When discussion was held the next week, not a single student had a good thing to say about the show.

Al Pacino did RICHARD III in New York at the Cort Theater.  It was not a good fit.  When Pacino did the king's monologues he was mesmerizing, but I found the whole thing to be misconceived, misdirected and not fulfilling.

Then, of course, there was the Christopher Plummer/Glenda Jackson MACBETH.  Oy!  Plummer delivered the "She should have died hereafter" speech completely facing upstage - were we supposed to be seeing his gluteal muscles in action? - Jackson constantly caressed herself, so much so that I feared she was about to go into the train scene from THE MUSIC LOVERS.

Other stages would have to include CUBA AND HIS TEDDY BEAR, a play with no why or wherefore, other than to present two remarkable actors onstage:  Burt Young and Robert DeNiro.  Ralph Macchio was also in the cast.  Deniro appeared in his boxers for an extended period of time; that certainly helped the time to fly.

And, as much as I love, adore, worship and whatever Julie Andrews, during VICTOR/VICTORIA, most of my thoughts while sitting at the Marquis, were, "WHY, GOD, WHY?"

There was also a misconceived WEST SIDE STORY revival at the Minskoff, which was three hours plus on the matinee day that I saw it. . .Debbie Allen was Anita.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Kerry

« Reply #59 on: October 23, 2008, 07:42:52 AM »

Good Morning All.  I overdid it on my foot  the last two days (because i had a lot of hobbling around to do) because tree trimmers broke a pipe , a main pipe on my patio.  A plumber fixed it, but as soon as the sprinklers in the courtyard came on, the pipe burst again.  The HOA is in my side, and no one can water their plants at the moment since that's the pipe that is connected.  Luckily I now know where the valve is (and it is off , and the Board put a note on it to leave it off).  They'll probably have to tear up some of the brickwork on my patio/  Luckily I was home (supposed to be resting myankle) when the two breaks occurred, so I managed to alert those in charge quickly before too much flooding and wasted water happened.  One woman got quite testy yesterday as she was watering her plants and I had to turn off her water.  I had to bring my watering can in and fill it in the litchen to water a few plants, so i figure she can do the same.
The GOOD thing is it's put me in an assertive mood to get doctors to do what needs to be done for me SOON!
I like boat races.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up