Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LONG PLAY  (Read 25549 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
LONG PLAY
« on: October 23, 2008, 12:19:54 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were long and had little play, and now it is time for you to post until the long playing cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: LONG PLAY
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 12:20:42 AM »

And the word of the day is: MEEKEN!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2008, 12:30:12 AM »

Topic of the Day:  almost appropriately, I saw The Threepenny Opera last night, and although I enjoyed the acting and singing very much, the show itself was three very long hours long.  They had one 15-minute intermission after the original first act and the second and third acts were put together as one.  My friend Kim who is in the show, said that the las act is really only 20 minutes long, so it made sense to break it up that way...but still. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2008, 12:41:15 AM »

TOD:::

Normally, Romeo and Juliet is one of my favorite Shakespearean plays...

However there was one prodution of it that was SO BAD that It lasted nearly 4 hours. They even forgot part of the balcony scene! You could a person feeding the lines to Juliet and she was not even on the right area for half of her lines. The lighting was something out of bad nightmare..However, I will give the small school kudos for at least trying.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

George

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2008, 12:58:06 AM »

About 10 years ago, I saw the final dress rehearsal of a very good local production of "Waiting for Godot."  All the elements were very good, but I just didn't get it...I'm not sure I still do. ::) Anyway, the first act was an hour and a half long and not knowing the show, when the intermission came, I actually thought that that it was a one-act and that was the end of the show.  Boy, was I wrong.  The director came over and said "Well, that's the first act," and I couldn't believe it!  But after the short intermission (being final dress, and all), they did the second act.  That was one of the first shows that I can remember that I REALLY felt was WAY TOO LONG.

:)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2008, 12:59:57 AM »

I have never been able to get that play George....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2008, 01:02:00 AM »

I had to read it for the theatre class I took. However I did really likea production that NDSU did osme years ago of "The Rivals" and School for Scandal"

George

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2008, 01:21:08 AM »

Well, I must be going to bed.  Good night, Dakota...and any guests. :)

singdaw

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 01:23:50 AM »

Good night, DR George.  Pleasant dreams!

singdaw

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 01:24:47 AM »

***RECOVERY VIBES***
for Allan, DF of DR Tomovoz!

singdaw

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 01:25:38 AM »

***COMPUTER VIBES***
for DR Cillaliz!

singdaw

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 01:28:06 AM »

TOD:

This doesn't count on technical terms, but I suppose it would be when I saw the original NY production of Angels in America - parts 1 & 2 - on the same day.  Great theatre, but a long day.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 01:28:10 AM »

Hello singdaw,... I am suffering writers block and I am in serious need of inspiration..

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2008, 01:28:58 AM »

Vibes to Allan, DF of Tomovoz...

singdaw

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2008, 01:29:05 AM »

Hello, DR DakotaCelt.  Heading out now to walk the dog.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2008, 01:29:23 AM »

Puter vibes to Cillaliz...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2008, 01:30:18 AM »

Have a pleasant walk... ARE you walking the dog or is the dog walking you?  :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2008, 03:00:54 AM »

I'm not sure what the longest play that I've seen was.

Les Miserables certainly was long, the first time der B and I saw it.  But that was partly because we had just arrived in London after a long overseas flight, and hadn't really slept, and der B had insisted that we get tix for that night, and we didn't nap before the show for fear of oversleeping, so what was a long musical ended up topping a very long day.  Or two, depending on how you measure it.

(That, plus our seats were in the next-to-last row of the very top balcony.  We were so far up that my ears popped.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2008, 03:02:23 AM »

We have walked out on a few shows, but that's usually been due to my depression acting up, making it impossible for me to stay.  Bleh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2008, 03:05:35 AM »

One of the shows that we left at intermission was a Long Beach Civic Light Opera production of No No Nanette.  My depression was so bad that night that I wanted them to rewrite the song so that the lyric would go "I want to be happy but I can't be happy.  End of discussion."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2008, 03:21:02 AM »

Polly Pen's "silent movie opera" Bed and Sofa just seemed really long.   ::)

FJL

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2008, 03:47:44 AM »

Love the "I want to be happy" line, Woody!

FJL

« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 03:48:29 AM »

Vibes to Australia for Tom's dear friend

FJL

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 03:49:28 AM »

Tomovoz, I hope I've thanked you for the lovely postcard.  If not, thank you so much.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 05:04:17 AM »

TOD:  there was one production of How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying that I saw which seemed to go on for several days, the fella who was cast as the lead was dreadful... he was like a bad standup comic - he would actually repeat lines that didn' get the laugh he was looking for while staring out in the audience -  I would have escapoed but a dear friedn of mine was also in teh play and stayed for the love of him - and to reassure him that HE wasn't the reason the production was so dreadful 
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 05:05:19 AM »

~~~~~Rapid Escrow Closing VIBES for dear elmore~~~~~
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom