Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LONG PLAY  (Read 25543 times)

td

• td
Re: LONG PLAY
« Reply #60 on: October 23, 2008, 07:46:29 AM »

~~~~~FAST SPRINKLER REPAIR VIBES FOR DR KERRY~~~~~
(and for anyone else whose sprinkler needs attention).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Kerry

« Reply #61 on: October 23, 2008, 07:48:53 AM »

In the meantime, it's cooler right now, and I'm enjoyin haviing the door and windows open.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #62 on: October 23, 2008, 07:49:48 AM »

~~~~~FAST SPRINKLER REPAIR VIBES FOR DR KERRY~~~~~
(and for anyone else whose sprinkler needs attention).

Thank you!!!!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #63 on: October 23, 2008, 07:51:19 AM »

Anthony is somewhere in Indiana driving back to New York. He left Chicago at 6am (Chicago time, an hour behind us) and will be in New York City sometime this evening.
  I'd love to be riding with him-- we could sing songs and tell jokes and lively stories!
I like boat races.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #64 on: October 23, 2008, 07:58:25 AM »

I will say from my personal experience when WAITING FOR GODOT is well-done, it doesn't seem long at all and is delightfully funny, to boot.  There's just been a production down here with Tobias Andersen, who is next up in the Rave in the Nave Series I'm hosting, with his one-man show "Darrow."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #65 on: October 23, 2008, 08:01:13 AM »

I emailed this to JR yesterday, but I am waiting to see how certain things shake out with this Frances Farmer Day business.  They evidently contacted the Seattle author (who shall not be named, a la BK's former label) who wrote the (I believe deliberately) error filled book about her 30 years ago, and sent him to my site, which he claimed not to know about.  This despite the fact that he was contacted for the A&E Biography and refused to cooperate or be interviewed, something that both I and FF's nephew did happily.  Anyhoo, he evidently wants to know how to contact me, this despite the fact that the FF article clearly has a "contact me" link, as does every page on my site.  I have told the FF Day people I will not be attending since they are already re-jiggering their presentation since this person will be there.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2008, 08:10:19 AM »

TOD:  First off, I've never walked out of a play or a movie, I've always stayed to the bitter end.  I feel if I don't see all of something, I have no right to criticize it.  Something might happen in the last five or ten minutes that may justify all one has gone through up to that point.

That said, I had an experience similar to elmore's with Beckett.  Recently, the Cincinnati Shakespeare Company...a company whose work I enjoy and with whom I have good acquaintance of their members...did a night of existential theatre.  A double bill of NO EXIT by Sartre and ENDGAME by Beckett. 

Now I don't much care for this type of theatre, but I felt that I should perhaps rectify this gap in my theatrical education.  I had never seen either play, though I had read NO EXIT back in college, the theme of which is essentially Hell is other people.  Well, not quite.  Hell, is sitting through a production of this...then one descends to a lower level of Hell for ENDGAME.  This is not to fault the actors or the production, both of which were excellent.  It was the solid, polished ensemble work I always expect to see at Cincy Shakes.  But I have no affinity for either play and stacking the two back-to-back gave us three hours of existential  angst.  But at least I have now seen two plays I probably should have seen AND WILL NEVER HAVE TO SEE THEM AGAIN!

Someone should tell the authors of LES MIZ that the show is over after Javert dies, but it seems to plod pointlessly on for another twenty-thirty minutes.

I saw a ghastly production of ANTONY & CLEOPATRA this summer at an outdoor venue that does not accommodate theatre, Shakespeare, or the audience.  Miscast, aimlessly directed, and interminable.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 23, 2008, 08:10:29 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - I wasn't planning on being up quite this early, but up I am.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #68 on: October 23, 2008, 08:12:25 AM »

Good morning from the west coast, bk!

We're off to our shoot now. I wanted to post last night but the internet on the web tv wasn't working and the hotel didn't seem to be too concerned about fixing it. But now it works, so thanks for the travel vibes, all!

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: October 23, 2008, 08:13:09 AM »

I hope it isn't too early in the morning for some overly blatant beefcake...but I just got the new issue of India's leading film magazine FILMFARE and and it is very gay friendly...due in part to the release of the gay themed comedy DOSTANA starring John Abraham, and also to the fact that the subject is getting more coverage in the Hindi film industry as a whole (although many Indian films still tend to use the outdated 1970s stereotype we all remember seeing on TV and films back in the day in the US)...seen here on the cover of this weeks FILMFARE is Mr. John Abraham.

Edisaurus

« Reply #70 on: October 23, 2008, 08:13:34 AM »

McCormick and Schmidt was a little pricey but it was yummy. I had dinner with two dear friends from Randy Newman's web group and got all caught up on all things in the Randy world.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: October 23, 2008, 08:14:08 AM »

I got my patient safely back from Park Avenue and 77th Street, and now it's time to go to physical therapy.

Interesting development this morning on the cabaret singer and the testy email. Hmmmm . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

« Reply #72 on: October 23, 2008, 08:14:13 AM »

Until later...

MBarnum

« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2008, 08:17:24 AM »

Oops...DR Charles Pogue...you would show up at this time wouldn't you!

Ok, for you I shall post this cover as well.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2008, 08:24:27 AM »

There was also a misconceived WEST SIDE STORY revival at the Minskoff, which was three hours plus on the matinee day that I saw it. . .Debbie Allen was Anita.

And that is the name of my next book, "Debbie Allen Was Anita" with the subtitle "And other hideously wrong casting choices".
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2008, 08:24:49 AM »

Guess I'll do some computer maintenance things and then head down to check the mail and start on lunch.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2008, 08:28:34 AM »

I have told the FF Day people I will not be attending since they are already re-jiggering their presentation since this person will be there.

It seems to me you're missing out on a golden opportunity to set the record straight in the presence of the person who set it awry in the first place.

It may send a message different from the one you intend.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2008, 08:29:18 AM »

Tomovoz, I hope I've thanked you for the lovely postcard.  If not, thank you so much.

Gee, I'd love to thank him, but I've not received one.

JMK

« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2008, 08:32:59 AM »

I have told the FF Day people I will not be attending since they are already re-jiggering their presentation since this person will be there.

It seems to me you're missing out on a golden opportunity to set the record straight in the presence of the person who set it awry in the first place.

There is no "opportunity" at all due to the way it's structured.

td

• td
« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2008, 08:46:39 AM »

Dixie Bell and I have had a morning walk.
DR MBarnum, thank you for FULLY opening my eyes!

DR Pogue; I have seen one production of NO EXIT, and it was quite good.  It was staged in the studio theater at Carnegie Mellon.  Of course there is that film version by Gerard Damiano called "The Devil in Miss Jones."     :o
Becket can be a chore to sit through; I have been associated with two Becket pieces, ENDGAME and ROUGH FOR THEATER at two venues.  I was the lighting designer for Laurel Highlands Regional Theater's production of ENDGAME - strictly up/down lighting, naturally, but that particular lighting design was mentioned positively in the reviews. (!) 
With ROUGH FOR THEATER, I became the first non-drama department actor to work on the Studio Theater stage at Carnegie Mellon, and I don't use the work "work" loosely.  This was definitely one of the most challenging roles I have ever faced.  The play is concerning the fate of a character known only as "C" as he faces suicide, the other two characters "A" and "B" discuss his fate as he stands stone cold staring out a window.
Director Andrew Leynse added a prologue, for me (!), with C standing center stage, as the audience filtered in, calculating on a hand-held calculator, holding a briefcase.  As the show began, C tried to escape a follow-spot, often ending in painful positions with the light, until finally, C placed his briefcase on a desk and walked slowly and deliberately to a window upstage left.  There, in profile, C spent the remaining length of the play, unblinking, unresponsive (even to a match struck under his nose) and unmoving.
It was definitely the most highly concentrated work I had ever done - and this came about in the same year that I had done "The Old Actor" in THE FANTASTICKS and "Nugget" in EQUUS; two other highly physically demanding roles.
All I can say about ROUGH FOR THEATER, is that it sure felt great to be able to move, finally, downstage to take that curtain call.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2008, 08:51:20 AM »

There is no "opportunity" at all due to the way it's structured.

Then I misunderstood. I thought you were staying away "because" this person would be there.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2008, 08:59:32 AM »

Good Morning

I'm up, I'm up... I slept in this morning, and, thankfully, I did not receive a "Where the hell are you?" phone call this morning. ;)

*The schedule for this week's Disney's auditions originally included a brief session on Thursday of this week, today.  But last week, Thursday got switched back to Wednesday (yesterday).  However, since I tend to ingrain my schedule into my head, I guess I was having "residual anxiety".  Or something like that.  Even last night, when I was getting ready for bed, I had to make sure that I did not have to be out of the apartment by 9:30 this morning.

::)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2008, 08:59:59 AM »

I may have missed the post about the testy e-mail from the cabaret singer - what was the testy e-mail - what post was it?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2008, 09:01:56 AM »

Hmmm... I'm guessing that John Abraham does wax.  Or at least gets air-brushed.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2008, 09:03:22 AM »

DR elmore - I'm glad your friend is doing fine, and that you were able to help him out this morning.

*And I hope the "interesting development" is for the better.
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2008, 09:04:49 AM »

Shakespeare immediately pops to mind when mulling over the TOD.

Now that you mention it, I also recall seeing a few sleep inducing Shakespeare plays. 

In fact, there was a production of THE TAMING OF THE SHREW at the Ahmanson a few years back that we walked out on during the intermission.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #86 on: October 23, 2008, 09:07:06 AM »

The stage production of THE GRADUATE wasn't that long, but it was very boring.
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: October 23, 2008, 09:14:16 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I remember listening to Waiting for Godot in high school.  That was a long string of days in English class.  However, we did eventually see a stage production at some local college, and it flew by in comparison to the audio experience.

My alma mater staged a production of Peter Barnes' Red Noses a couple of years ago. About an hour and 45 minutes in, I started to think that maybe the director had "compacted" the play down to one act.  Well, when Act One ended at the two hour mark, it was quite obvious that there was going to be a second act.  And there was.  I liked the production, and I liked the play.  I guess I just would have liked to know about the running time in advance.

Nothing else is really coming to mind right now, however...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: October 23, 2008, 09:15:06 AM »

Druxy, you better hope and pray you have a cold and not the dreaded flu.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: October 23, 2008, 09:17:25 AM »

Guess I'd better get crackin'.  The guy who's getting me the research for my new CD notes can now not come to the Valley, so it's on me and it looks like after delivering the CDs to Reseda, I'll be braving the downtown traffic to go to USC to pick this stuff up.  We could try to meet tomorrow, after two, but it will depend on where.  That might be the better plan, especially as I wouldn't be able to do anything this evening anyway and I'm just not sure I should be running around like this.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up