Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: WRY TOAST  (Read 28035 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: WRY TOAST
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2008, 07:22:46 AM »

PAGE TWO
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2008, 07:28:37 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept late because I was awake many times during the night with strange dreams: in one, Donna Lynne Champlin and I were being chased by a horror film serial killer wearing Hannibal Lecter's leather mask, in another I was going through crises in Oxford, Ohio involving a college theatre production and attempts to register, get into a dormitory, and deal with banking at the same time. Oy!

Today, mostly work on THE STUDENT PRINCE medley; I've got a couple of hours with the TOYLAND materials, and possibly a trip to Lincoln Center NYPL, although I've been warned that late afternoons and Saturdays are the visiting days of the Fat Conductor of Limited Talent and Limitless Ego, a major horror and fraud to be avoided at all costs.

TOD:
    The Thief of Bagdad  (Rozsa)
    The King of Hearts (Delerue)
    Psycho (Herrmann)
    North by Northwest (Herrmann)
    Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Moross)
    The Big Country (Moross)
    Goldfinger (Barry)
    Gone With the Wind (Steiner)

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2008, 07:34:25 AM »

AND HERE`S TO THE GIRLS WHO JUST WATCH,
AREN`T THEY THE BEST?
WHEN THEY GET DEPRESSED,
IT`S A BOTTLE OF SCOTCH,
PLUS A LITTLE JEST.
ANOTHER CHANCE TO DISAPPROVE,
ANOTHER BRILLIANT ZINGER.
ANOTHER REASON NOT TO MOVE,
ANOTHER VODKA STINGER,
AAAAHHHH - I`LL DRINK TO THAT.
SO HERE`S TO THE GIRLS ON THE GO,
EV`RYBODY TRIES.
LOOK INTO THEIR EYES
AND YOU`LL SEE WHAT THEY KNOW:
EV`RYBODY DIES.
A TOAST TO THAT INVINCIBLE BUNCH,
THE DINOSAURS SURVIVING THE CRUNCH,
LET`S HEAR IT
FOR THE LADIES WHO LUNCH:
EV`RYBODY RISE!

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2008, 07:41:50 AM »

My back has gone out.... to breakfast
“One thing’s universal,

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2008, 07:45:25 AM »

I don't think I could take just one film score to a desert island.  There are too many that I like.  Among them are:

ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA
RUN OF THE ARROW
RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK
THE ADVENTURES OF ROBIN HOOD
GONE WITH THE WIND
CHARIOTS OF FIRE
THE BIG COUNTRY
THE THIRD MAN
THE GREAT ESCAPE
THE MAGNIFICENT SEVEN
THE APARTMENT
DR. ZHIVAGO
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
THE LONGEST DAY

I could go on....
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: October 25, 2008, 07:47:00 AM »

Good morning!

We had light rain most of the day yesterday, and the cloud cover kept temperatures from going very low last night. The heat never turned on, so the house retained the warmth that was already inside very well. Looks like a rather dreary, overcast day here.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2008, 07:48:34 AM »

TOD:

I hope I could find a CD box set of Henry Mancini scores since I love these so much:

BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S

CHARADE

TWO FOR THE ROAD

THE GREAT RACE

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2008, 07:49:36 AM »

At some point today, I'll be working on the next Criterion/Rialto film which I think is BILLY LIAR (after MAFIOSO which I just reviewed a few months ago).

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2008, 07:51:17 AM »

Today while I cook and eat lunch, I'll be watching SMALLVILLE and if I can squeeze it in, THE OFFICE.

Tonight, after I finish BILLY LIAR (or whatever is next), I'd like to revisit INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULLS. I'll see what kind of time I have later tonight.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2008, 07:55:13 AM »

I had not received any Paramount review discs all week, a first since I took over the account last December. At 6:30 last night, the doorbell rang with the UPS man holding four packages, all from Paramount. Among them were the new DVD release of THE BOYS IN THE BAND (due in stores November 11) and THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO, Season 2, Volume 2. I never watched the TV show during its run, but I reviewed volume 1 a few months ago and really enjoyed it, so I requested volume 2.

November is going to be a very heavy TV month for me from Paramount. I'm also expecting the next season of JAG, the last season of THE ODD COUPLE, and the next season of HAWAII FIVE-O.

Ginny

« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2008, 08:01:31 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  Today is the first of 6-days-in-a-row off for me - my regular 3-day weekend and 3 vacation days to attend Richard's graduation in Wisconsin.  I have a few errands to run before the 3:30 Michigan/Michigan State kick-off.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2008, 08:12:54 AM »

DR Kerry - ***ANKLE AND PLUMBING VIBES!!!***

GREAT NEWS about DR JoseSPiano's Mom!!!  :D

Happy to read that DP Ant is home safely.

Love the photos of Laura DR's new backyard and former DR François's  front yard!

Also - beautiful fall foliage, DR Jane!

DR Vixmom - sorry to hear of your dental horrors.  Feel better soon!

I had an emergency trip to my dentist yesterday afternoon, but it wasn't so horrible and had a successful outcome.

DR Cillaliz, great news about your laptop.

Feel better, DR SWW!

DR Ginny, enjoyed reading about all the Ohio things in your basket.

singdaw

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2008, 08:15:16 AM »

Yes, I had a wonderful time with DR JoseSPiano at the concert last night.  Bernstein's Mass was/is criticized for being too ecclectic, but it sure works for me.  Some truly outstanding performances by Broadway types in the "Street Chorus."

singdaw

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2008, 08:17:18 AM »

Sorry, Laura DR...I looked online, but could not find any reviews of Wing's NYC performance.

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2008, 08:21:58 AM »

That is a BIG basket, DR GINNY!

Actually, DR JRand, the basket I won was one of the more modest ones.  You see, each branch and main library department is asked to contribute a basket for the Staff Day giveaway.  We were given one ticket and had to choose which drawing we wanted to enter.  I think I chose one that didn't have a lot of entries.

My department, Adult Services (ADS), had the theme Oprah's ADS' Favorite Things, for which we all contributed something - my contribution was an "I <heart> NY" item.  Since we are a big department, we had a lot of stuff, so we had 3 baskets for the giveaway.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2008, 08:34:53 AM »

Heading down now to check the mail and then start thinking about what I'm fixing for lunch.

WBBL.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2008, 08:39:19 AM »

Believe it or don't, the first performance of Bernstein's MASS after the premiere was in little ol' SLC, where I saw it with David Cryer.  An unbelievable evening of music and theater.

Kerry, the album you're thinking of is by The Ray Conniff Singers, not Anita Kerr.  It was one of Ray's biggest hit albums and led to several follow-ups.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2008, 08:41:37 AM »

I'm up, and feeling that there's going to be no time for the jog, unless I forego the post office until Monday morning or get over there by nine sharp and start the jog by nine-twenty.  We shall see.

Kerry

« Reply #48 on: October 25, 2008, 08:45:45 AM »

Sorry about Vixmom's dental horrors.

Decades ago, I used to have my teeth cleaned at a school for dental assistants; it was cheap, gave them someone to work on, and you got a really thorough exam from the teacher who was supervising (because the students had to learn to do everything).

One girl once asked if she could use me for her mid-term or final exam and did a casting.   It was tedious but painless.  I even had the plaster cast around for years.
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: October 25, 2008, 08:45:57 AM »

And the word of the day is: ADULTESCENT!
Eliza the village SLUT ENACTED her ADULTESCENT proclivities by seducing the Randy Vicar's nephew.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Kerry

« Reply #50 on: October 25, 2008, 08:47:57 AM »

Believe it or don't, the first performance of Bernstein's MASS after the premiere was in little ol' SLC, where I saw it with David Cryer.  An unbelievable evening of music and theater.

Kerry, the album you're thinking of is by The Ray Conniff Singers, not Anita Kerr.  It was one of Ray's biggest hit albums and led to several follow-ups.

Ah, I think you're right.  All of the groups like that were represented in my parent's record collection.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 08:50:42 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #51 on: October 25, 2008, 08:50:27 AM »

Wasn't Ray Conniff the one who figured he cold make any song popular by turning into a foxtrot?  He analyzed which songs were the most popular and what they had in common, so he came up with "popular" arrangements.  His version of "Baubles, Bangles and Beads" speaks for itself.
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: October 25, 2008, 08:50:30 AM »

...*And I even went ahead and walked back up to the Fifth Avenue Apple Store (since it's open 24 hours), and purchased a new "sleeve" for my new laptop.
An Apple all day keeps the viruses away, or something like that.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Laura

« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2008, 08:51:10 AM »

Sorry, Laura DR...I looked online, but could not find any reviews of Wing's NYC performance.

That's because the reviewers are all still stunned.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #54 on: October 25, 2008, 08:51:50 AM »

Now I must go to a meeting, where everyone is sure to be in denial.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: October 25, 2008, 08:54:37 AM »

Hmmm, favorite film scores.........

3 - 2
10 - 7

and my favorite  

21 - 0                                 

Not to be confused with the Broadway score of Dance - 10, Looks - 3.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #56 on: October 25, 2008, 09:02:39 AM »

I had not received any Paramount review discs all week, a first since I took over the account last December. At 6:30 last night, the doorbell rang with the UPS man holding four packages, all from Paramount. Among them were the new DVD release of THE BOYS IN THE BAND (due in stores November 11) and THE STREETS OF SAN FRANCISCO, Season 2, Volume 2. I never watched the TV show during its run, but I reviewed volume 1 a few months ago and really enjoyed it, so I requested volume 2.

November is going to be a very heavy TV month for me from Paramount. I'm also expecting the next season of JAG, the last season of THE ODD COUPLE, and the next season of HAWAII FIVE-O.

MATT H-Do you think that CHICAGO HOPE will be released soon?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #57 on: October 25, 2008, 09:04:01 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I suspect I will be having a nice, lazy day today.  Possibly.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #58 on: October 25, 2008, 09:04:53 AM »

Off to do my errands - bye for now!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2008, 09:07:13 AM »

That's because the reviewers are all still stunned.

I did a little bit of "digging" on this one...  Wing was presented at Birdland as part of their Monday Night Broadway series.  As a rule, they do not allow - or at least they do not provide press seats - reviewers for those nights, since they're considered "informal".  So, that could be the reason for no post-concert coverage.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up