Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: PEAT MOSS AND PETE MOSS  (Read 31614 times)

Jennifer

Re: PEAT MOSS AND PETE MOSS
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2008, 08:37:59 AM »

Vibes for DR Vixmom~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2008, 08:39:39 AM »

JMK, what was your question?

Jennifer

« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2008, 08:40:25 AM »

BK the "flu" you described also did not sound like the flu to me. It just sounded like a really bad cold/cough.  It's still possible that the 10 people you knew passed around this bug, whatever it was, and that it was not the actual flu.

To me the flu usually has a fever. Also, since you were able to jog every single day ... that also made me think it might not be the flu (since i seriously doubt you would have been able to get out of bed).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2008, 08:40:58 AM »

I had something kind of cool happen yesterday, but it's a bit of a tale to get to the punchline.  I have programmed an Oratorio for December 21 at the church I music direct for.  We had the choral octavios, but not the orchestral parts, so I called Sheet Music Service here in PDX and was told the orchestration was $150 (!!--usually these things are about $60).  Anyhoo, I cleared that I had that much in my music account and placed the order, waited three weeks, they finally called, and I went in with my little church check and picked up the music.  I was on my way out of the store with the packet under my arm when the saleslady said, "Oh wait!  I need to print you an invoice--you have a balance due!"  "Balance due?" I asked in shock.  "That score is $250," she replied.  I told her I had been quoted $150, which was bad enough, and there was no way I was going to pay $250.  I walked back, set the score down and literally ripped the church check off of her clipboard, thanked them and left.

I then decided maybe I'd just get the accompaniment CD, went to the publisher's site and was shocked to see that it was $80!  $80 for a CD, can you believe it?  So I alerted the church orchestra and office that I would simply program an orchestral piece and have just piano accompaniment for the Oratorio.

So I went in to the music library last night to start sorting through orchestral scores.  There's this huge bookcase on wheels in there full of stuff that's just been thrown in on shelves for years and years and I went through everything and sorted it by instrumentation, etc.  I was about to leave and a little voice said "look behind the bookshelves," so I lugged this huge piece of furniture out away from the wall and, lo and behold, there were stacks of music behind there that had obviously been there for years, all covered in dust and in various states of disarray.

And what should be in the pile?  You guessed it--the orchestral parts and conductor's score for the Oratorio.  :)

Was that the longest story ever?

Just out of curiosity... Which Oratorio?  Something Classical? or a bit more Contemporary?

*Steve has become quite adept at finding scores and parts and MIDI files for Bach, Mozart, Haydn, etc., choral works on the web.  They help save him a lot of time when he's preparing the rehearsal CDs.  However, he's sort of surprised that no one has yet to consolidate a lot of those free - and public domain - resources in one place.  -Well, he hasn't come across that "place" if it already exists.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2008, 08:42:06 AM »

Oh YES....

~~~~~VIBES OF MENTAL EASE AND MEDICAL WELL-BEING TO DR VIXMOM~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2008, 08:46:49 AM »

I awoke early this morning, and woke up the computer.  It would not load the Safari homepage well - finally did after about two minutes.  Then I couldn't get anywhere on the Internet (yes, wireless was working fine).  So, I quit out of Safari, opened it and the same thing,  wouldn't load the home page.  I restarted the computer only to get a blank gray screen.  I shut it down, restarted, same thing.  Had to call Apple Care.  They had me unplug everything, remove the battery, then put it back and plug back in.  Then they had me restart by holding down the option and Apple keys along with the "p" and "r" keys.  This is not that easy because the p and r keys are very far apart and first you have to tap the power button then immediately hold down all four keys - you hold the keys until you hear TWO of the Apple start up sounds, then you let go.  That worked, and I got the Apple logo and everything was fine.  Occasionally, the system hiccups, they say, and starting up this way resets everything.  So, here I am.  Then I got a call from the printer who told me that as of yesterday he hadn't gotten an approval on our booklet.  Thankfully, he'd talked to the designer who had in fact sent his approval first thing Monday.  Unbelievable.  So, we're three days behind on the printing, but he's telling me that the latest it will get to the pressing plant is next Wednesday, which means they should be able to still get me CDs by the 10th.  I asked him to try and get the print there by Monday or Tuesday so that I'm not quite so up against the wall with the pressing plant, and he said he'd do his best.  And that's been my morning so far.  It looks a little gray and chilly out.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2008, 08:47:26 AM »

I was curious about your two latest CD releases and how you obtain rights for something like that--do you deal with the Estates?  Or is it PD stuff that was never properly copyrighted?  And if you do need to negotiate, do you do it yourself or have an attorney handle it?  Details, man, we want details.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2008, 08:49:09 AM »

I had something kind of cool happen yesterday, but it's a bit of a tale to get to the punchline.  I have programmed an Oratorio for December 21 at the church I music direct for.  We had the choral octavios, but not the orchestral parts, so I called Sheet Music Service here in PDX and was told the orchestration was $150 (!!--usually these things are about $60).  Anyhoo, I cleared that I had that much in my music account and placed the order, waited three weeks, they finally called, and I went in with my little church check and picked up the music.  I was on my way out of the store with the packet under my arm when the saleslady said, "Oh wait!  I need to print you an invoice--you have a balance due!"  "Balance due?" I asked in shock.  "That score is $250," she replied.  I told her I had been quoted $150, which was bad enough, and there was no way I was going to pay $250.  I walked back, set the score down and literally ripped the church check off of her clipboard, thanked them and left.

I then decided maybe I'd just get the accompaniment CD, went to the publisher's site and was shocked to see that it was $80!  $80 for a CD, can you believe it?  So I alerted the church orchestra and office that I would simply program an orchestral piece and have just piano accompaniment for the Oratorio.

So I went in to the music library last night to start sorting through orchestral scores.  There's this huge bookcase on wheels in there full of stuff that's just been thrown in on shelves for years and years and I went through everything and sorted it by instrumentation, etc.  I was about to leave and a little voice said "look behind the bookshelves," so I lugged this huge piece of furniture out away from the wall and, lo and behold, there were stacks of music behind there that had obviously been there for years, all covered in dust and in various states of disarray.

And what should be in the pile?  You guessed it--the orchestral parts and conductor's score for the Oratorio.  :)

Was that the longest story ever?

Just out of curiosity... Which Oratorio?  Something Classical? or a bit more Contemporary?

*Steve has become quite adept at finding scores and parts and MIDI files for Bach, Mozart, Haydn, etc., choral works on the web.  They help save him a lot of time when he's preparing the rehearsal CDs.  However, he's sort of surprised that no one has yet to consolidate a lot of those free - and public domain - resources in one place.  -Well, he hasn't come across that "place" if it already exists.

No, it's a contemporary piece by John Purifoy--no great shakes, but a good midlevel piece that my choir and orchestra can handle.

I personally create MIDI files for all of the choral stuff we do so that they can rehearse whenever they want.  I've been doing that for years for my Pops Choir and church choirs I've worked with.  They all love it.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2008, 08:49:14 AM »

TOD Mystery:

I recall seeing a movie in the distant past about someone stealing a valuable painting.  The theft was to be accomplished some sort of bizarre Rube Goldburg type of contraption, which replaced the original canvas with a counterfit.  I'm pretty sure it was a comedy but I can't recall any of the cast or the title.  Anyone have any ideas?

Was it HOW TO STEAL A MILLION with Audrey Hepburn and Peter O'Toole?

Yes, DR Matt!  After reading the synopsis on imdb I am sure that is the picture!  Thanks!  I need to see this one again.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2008, 08:52:56 AM »

Yup DR MATTH is right....I remember HOW TO STEAL A MILLION.....and I remember I kept thinking that I thought I would like the Audrey Hepburn/Peter O'Toole pairing much more than I actually did.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2008, 08:57:29 AM »

Off for a haircut.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2008, 08:57:44 AM »

I remember they showed HOW TO STEAL A MILLION for movie day at school when I was a kid.  They showed another Hepburn film, WAIT UNTIL DARK, for movie day in high school and I still remember to this day 2,000 kids screaming in unison at that "moment" toward the end.  :)

JMK

« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2008, 08:58:49 AM »

I have a nice surprise for DS Betsy when she gets home this afternoon--we ordered a new fancy-schmancy high tech door for our patio downstairs and it is being installed whilst I type.  I did not tell Betsy that the installation was scheduled for today and will just wait for her to go down there and discover it.  :)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2008, 08:59:28 AM »

DR VIXMOM, VIBES ALL AROUND!!!

JMK

« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2008, 09:00:03 AM »

Posting frenzy continued:  started going through an Agatha Christie boxed set I got to review.  I had seen everything in it with the exception of the "new" Marple (McEwan) version of Body in the Library, so I started with that.  Why in heaven's name do they feel the need to change the original just for the sake of "tarting it up?"  Joanna Lumley was fun, but I was furious with the changes.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2008, 09:00:29 AM »

DR Cilla, the pumpin & cat photos are great! :)

Off to hike Sherlock, and yes I'm getting the flu shot this morning.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2008, 09:00:36 AM »

I was so happy about the Phillies winning the World Series last night that I was briefly sorry that I no longer lived in the city--it would have been nice to walk over to Broad Street and join the only somewhat unruly crowd.  But I shall be here tomorrow during the day for the Victory Parade that will begin about two blocks away from my office.  The only question is whether I will drive in or not.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2008, 09:05:09 AM »

a new fancy-schmancy high tech door for our patio downstairs

Does it have a remote?   ;)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2008, 09:05:10 AM »

I have a nice surprise for DS Betsy when she gets home this afternoon--we ordered a new fancy-schmancy high tech door for our patio downstairs and it is being installed whilst I type.  I did not tell Betsy that the installation was scheduled for today and will just wait for her to go down there and discover it.  :)

Ya know, DR JMK, on sitcoms "high tech" and "surprise" do not usually work out to happy circumstances.  Be aware that hilarity may ensue.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2008, 09:06:48 AM »

TOD:  How to Steal a Million is one of my favorites.  It was the first movie I'd seen at a newly built luxury theatre (at the time), and the scenery and locations and actors (nad John Willimas' score) put me in movie heaven.

The plot you describe is not this movie though.  He uses a boomerang to get them to shut off the burglar alarm system and steals a sculpture.

TOD:  Would the Pink Panther movies be considered Heist films?

A not-so-great movie which I liked was "Rough Cut" with Burt Reynolds and Lesley-Anne Down.  It was on cable a lot for a few years.  I guess I associate it with some good times.
I like boat races.

singdaw

« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2008, 09:06:50 AM »

hilarity may ensue.

I hate it when that happens.    :)

Kerry

« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2008, 09:07:54 AM »

Healthy vibes to Vixmom!!!!!!!!
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2008, 09:08:45 AM »

I was curious about your two latest CD releases and how you obtain rights for something like that--do you deal with the Estates?  Or is it PD stuff that was never properly copyrighted?  And if you do need to negotiate, do you do it yourself or have an attorney handle it?  Details, man, we want details.  :)

Different for every release.  Evening Primrose, the deal was with Sondheim and his lawyer, and yes I did it myself because it was very simple.  The two Herrmann titles are in the public domain - I just happened to have the best source materials anywhere in the world.  Of course, we pay the publishing on these titles, too.

Kerry

« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2008, 09:09:50 AM »

Ya know, DR JMK, on sitcoms "high tech" and "surprise" do not usually work out to happy circumstances.  Be aware that hilarity may ensue.
[/quote]

Well, as long as wackiness doesn't follow, you should be OK.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2008, 09:18:33 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2008, 09:10:25 AM »

Since no one has listed it, I'm very fond of the heist movie Kaleidoscope, with Warren Beatty and Susannah York.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2008, 09:11:19 AM »

TOD:  How to Steal a Million is one of my favorites.  It was the first movie I'd seen at a newly built luxury theatre (at the time), and the scenery and locations and actors (nad John Willimas' score) put me in movie heaven.

The plot you describe is not this movie though.  He uses a boomerang to get them to shut off the burglar alarm system and steals a sculpture.

So replacing a painting with a forgery (or vice-versa) doesn't happen in HTSAM?  I though that this might be it because I thought I recalled an older character and I thought that it might have been Charles Boyer.

-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2008, 09:11:44 AM »

I, too, love Rififfi.  I like Topkapi but don't love it, I like Big Deal On Madonna Street, love Gambit, and I'm sure I'll think of some other 60s films.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2008, 09:13:13 AM »

~~~SUPER VIBES OF ALL KINDS FOR DR VIXMOM!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Kerry

« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2008, 09:17:56 AM »

[[/quote]

So replacing a painting with a forgery (or vice-versa) doesn't happen in HTSAM?  I though that this might be it because I thought I recalled an older character and I thought that it might have been Charles Boyer.

[/quote]

Charles Boyer was in HTSAM, but it was a statue they stole (although forged paintings are part of the plot, too).
You're right abuot much of this, but I think you've got some plot devices from something else mixed up.  Interesting though, since some of what you describe that isn't part of HTSAM sounds familiar to me too.
I like boat races.

JMK

« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2008, 09:20:03 AM »

Why does everyone seem to have such a problem with the quote feature on this new board?

(Awaiting "fun" and "wacky" responses utilizing this quote).  ;)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up