Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COSTCO EXPERIENCE  (Read 21628 times)

Laura

Re: THE COSTCO EXPERIENCE
« Reply #270 on: November 06, 2008, 07:45:20 PM »

He's cute. Very spunky. Of course, I'd have to catch him and probably have to tame him first.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #271 on: November 06, 2008, 07:57:21 PM »

I was going to PM Jennifer, but it looked like the translation was pretty accurate - I know just enough to recognize certain words and phrases and I was very specific in my English.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #272 on: November 06, 2008, 08:02:27 PM »

I was going to PM Jennifer, but it looked like the translation was pretty accurate - I know just enough to recognize certain words and phrases and I was very specific in my English.

I was hoping it was going to come across like some of those translations of the synopses of "First Nudie Musical" and "The Creature Wasn't Nice" that we came across a while ago.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #273 on: November 06, 2008, 08:04:32 PM »

BK, we sometimes use those translators, but have to adjust things a little because it's a literal word for word translation and that sometimes doesn't mirror correct grammar or the way that people talk

Cillaliz

« Reply #274 on: November 06, 2008, 08:06:57 PM »

Western South Dakota already has 46 inches of snow from the current blizzard.  We're only supposed to get a couple inches of snow tomorrow. We have a high wind warning tomorrow with 50 mph winds. Doesn't take much snow to make that miserable

Cillaliz

« Reply #275 on: November 06, 2008, 08:13:05 PM »

He's cute. Very spunky. Of course, I'd have to catch him and probably have to tame him first.

The game warden?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #276 on: November 06, 2008, 08:23:03 PM »

DR DER BRUCER - I'm assuming that you've already brought up the fact that "white churches" were also responsible for the passage of Proposition 8 (and 102 in Arizona and 2 in Florida).  The Knights of Columbus - the Catholic's men's organization - was the other main proponent of Prop 8 in California.

Proposition 8 was the result of religious leanings, and not one of racial biases

The Mormon church and the KofC had been previous addressed. The issue at hand was the free-ride that the black churches had received.

The"unexpected" electoral event that tipped the scales on Prop 8 was the large new-voter turn-out of blacks for Obama who were overwhelmingly anti gay-marriage.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

3DDiffusion

« Reply #277 on: November 06, 2008, 08:25:40 PM »

Proposition 8 was the result of religious leanings, and not one of racial biases and mores.

According to statistics, in Florida and California at least, the "white" vote would have allowed gays to marry - the black vote is what upheld the ban.

Of course those statistics are from Rush Limbaugh, so don't know how much credence you want to give to it.
I never look back. It distracts from the now.
---Edna Mode

3DDiffusion

« Reply #278 on: November 06, 2008, 08:28:35 PM »

The"unexpected" electoral event that tipped the scales on Prop 8 was the large new-voter turn-out of blacks for Obama who were overwhelmingly anti gay-marriage.

Apparently, black community organizers not only got everyone registered to vote, but also bussed them to the polling places - and probably stood behind them while they voted, too...

I wonder how Farrakhan et al feel about Rahm Emanuel as Obama's chief of staff.... from what I've read of him (admittedly just today!) he would seem to be someone who should have been fired and sent for a psych evaluation a long time ago. But they can get away with his kind of behavior i n Washington...
---Edna Mode

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #279 on: November 06, 2008, 08:32:08 PM »

Proposition 8 was the result of religious leanings, and not one of racial biases and mores.

According to statistics, in Florida and California at least, the "white" vote would have allowed gays to marry - the black vote is what upheld the ban.

Again, there were still "religious whites" (and "religious blacks") who supported and voted for the ban.  -And since these propositions were determined by actual popular vote, every vote did count.
Make Your Own Luck.

3DDiffusion

« Reply #280 on: November 06, 2008, 08:32:20 PM »

Oh, and forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but if you want to see Obama flip the bird to both Hilary and McCain, you can watch the video of it here:

http://themuntabquestion.blogspot.com/2008/11/obama-flips-off-hilary-and-now-mccain.html
---Edna Mode

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #281 on: November 06, 2008, 08:34:41 PM »

Apparently, black community organizers not only got everyone registered to vote, but also bussed them to the polling places - and probably stood behind them while they voted, too...

I wonder how Farrakhan et al feel about Rahm Emanuel as Obama's chief of staff.... from what I've read of him (admittedly just today!) he would seem to be someone who should have been fired and sent for a psych evaluation a long time ago. But they can get away with his kind of behavior i n Washington...

Who are you?

Maybe if you dig around far enough you can learn something offensive about everyone Mr Obama asks to be involved in his cabinet, but speculations are endless and I think you only come around to breed dissent.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 08:43:06 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #282 on: November 06, 2008, 08:40:30 PM »

DR DER BRUCER - *Which relates to the question I've been coming across quite frequently in this discussion - and which I mentioned earlier: Is it really possible to separate Church from State? and vice versa?

**And it's also the one issue I have with gay couples truly wanting a "full marriage" in the eyes of the State and the Church.  Yes, I understand growing up Catholic, Protestant, Methodist, etc., and wanting to be married in a church by a priest, but just like heterosexual couples, they would still need to have a civil ceremony to make it legal.  I know some people are upset that President-elect Obama does not support "gay marriage" - which he has clearly stated is based on his religious beliefs, but he does support equal rights for homosexual couples on a civil level... Again, how fully can you separate State and Church?

Separation is actually quite simple: leave the Sacrament of Marriage to the church - get the state out of the "marriage business".

Have the state deal with the legal aspects of familial units by enacting gender-neutral civil unions.

Support for the "separate but equal" civil unions approach does not quite make it (unless you amend all civil codes to draw a total equivalency between "partner" and "spouse").

Actually, the position for gay couples in CA is still pretty good - the existing civil union statutes even provide state tax breaks - and Prop 8 doesn't take away many tangibles.

The situation is much different in Florida where Prop 2 attempts to remove the existing protections afforded to domestic partnerships.

For most gay citizens, the full civil union's route would be a giant step forward in Equality. In CA the frustration is great because we are so close to true full equality.

I would be most content if the Federal Government would leave the control of defining familial units to the states. If a state says you are a member of a "union", then you get Federal treatment equal to married folk (Tax benefits, SS survivor benefits, etc).

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #283 on: November 06, 2008, 08:46:05 PM »

Western South Dakota

Is that a State?  ;D

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #284 on: November 06, 2008, 08:52:42 PM »

DR DER BRUCER - I agree that the separation is - and should be - a "simple" matter.  However, well... I guess what I'm really asking is: How can the "Voters" - in addition to the "Elected" - make sure they separate Church and State in regards to their decisions?

*And I'll stop this "discussion" with this post... Even my head is starting to spin a bit too much right now.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #285 on: November 06, 2008, 08:56:31 PM »

Oh, and forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but if you want to see Obama flip the bird to both Hilary and McCain, you can watch the video of it here:

http://themuntabquestion.blogspot.com/2008/11/obama-flips-off-hilary-and-now-mccain.html

Just STOP IT!

Those "birds" are obviously unintentional, and I see those "accidents" happen all the time in all types of situations.  Sometimes I even see "double pumpers".

*And, yes, I'm sure if you scour enough footage you could find McCain, Palin, Bush (Jr. and Sr.) doing the same thing.  -Actually, I have seen "W" scratch his forehead with his middle-finger before during a press conference.  Yes, it gave me a giggle, but I never would have interpreted as a form of insult or denigration.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #286 on: November 06, 2008, 08:57:00 PM »

Western South Dakota already has 46 inches of snow from the current blizzard.  We're only supposed to get a couple inches of snow tomorrow. We have a high wind warning tomorrow with 50 mph winds. Doesn't take much snow to make that miserable

and they can keep taht snow..

parts of central North Dakota have had up to 12 inches. There has been no snow yet in Fargo... and I am not complaining...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DERBRUCER

« Reply #287 on: November 06, 2008, 08:59:08 PM »

Maybe if you dig around far enough you can learn something offensive about everyone Mr Obama asks to be involved in his cabinet, but speculations are endless and I think you only come around to breed dissent.

Larry, you would be proud of me - elsewhere I came to the defense of the Rahm appointment, thusly:

Well, realistically, I wouldn't expect him to appoint someone with Welcome Wagon credentials as his gate-keeper. I'm more interested in appointments to policy making/implementation positions.

der Brucer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #288 on: November 06, 2008, 08:59:30 PM »

It took most of the early evening to get through all of the bonus features on the second disc of TROPIC THUNDER. I wouldn't have been so rushed if I hadn't had to field a couple of phone calls.

Why do people think that when you tell them you're watching a DVD so you can review it, that it's not work and thus they can just chatter away like you have nothing better to do. Of course, I WAS working, so I probably shouldn't have answered the phone at all. But when I do that, I get accused of screening my calls. Can't win either way.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #289 on: November 06, 2008, 09:01:02 PM »

And why did I expect another question about how safe it is to visit New York City this time of year, and/or whether or not you could still get good seats to The 39 Steps?
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #290 on: November 06, 2008, 09:03:23 PM »

I LOVED UGLY BETTY tonight! Some great storylines, interesting character development. And wasn't that guy that Marc was with HOT! (Of course, I like Cliff, too.)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #291 on: November 06, 2008, 09:03:31 PM »

Just STOP IT!

Those "birds" are obviously unintentional, and I see those "accidents" happen all the time in all types of situations.  Sometimes I even see "double pumpers".

*And, yes, I'm sure if you scour enough footage you could find McCain, Palin, Bush (Jr. and Sr.) doing the same thing.  -Actually, I have seen "W" scratch his forehead with his middle-finger before during a press conference.  Yes, it gave me a giggle, but I never would have interpreted as a form of insult or denigration.

I agree with you Jose, I have seen the bird many times and notalways used in a denigrating fashion. Also the body language did not match the gesture. From my own experiences you know when you get the bird
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Matt H.

« Reply #292 on: November 06, 2008, 09:04:14 PM »

GREY'S ANATOMY had a couple of storylines that had be on the brink of tears. Some good writing tonight, and some excellent performances.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #293 on: November 06, 2008, 09:05:00 PM »

Are you speaking of DR Barnum?

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #294 on: November 06, 2008, 09:05:37 PM »

And I loved LIFE ON MARS, too. The USA TODAY critic really blasted tonight's episode of LIFE ON MARS, but I found it quite moving and very involving. (Of course, he doesn't like THE SHIELD at all, and I love it.)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #295 on: November 06, 2008, 09:06:17 PM »

I LOVED UGLY BETTY tonight! Some great storylines, interesting character development. And wasn't that guy that Marc was with HOT! (Of course, I like Cliff, too.)

Yes!  -And I know him too!  One of the "benefits" of the show now being filmed in NYC.

*And I loved how they managed to not show Shake Shack in the scenes they filmed in Madison Square Park.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #296 on: November 06, 2008, 09:06:59 PM »

GREY'S ANATOMY had a couple of storylines that had be on the brink of tears. Some good writing tonight, and some excellent performances.

Yep!  Tonight's was a weepy, and it looks like next week's will be a "Yikes-y".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #297 on: November 06, 2008, 09:08:39 PM »

LOL!!!!!!!

I believe this is my favorite Facebook Status report of all-time (so far):

...watched a man in her subway car light matches because the woman in front of him farted.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #298 on: November 06, 2008, 09:09:51 PM »

From my own experiences you know when you get the bird

I love it at Thanksgiving!

der Brucer

Getting Goosed isn't so bad, either.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #299 on: November 06, 2008, 09:09:52 PM »

LOL! :)
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up