Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COSTCO EXPERIENCE  (Read 21142 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re: THE COSTCO EXPERIENCE
« Reply #300 on: November 06, 2008, 09:11:18 PM »

Good one Jose... I saw a dandy a while back but this is a family site....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #301 on: November 06, 2008, 09:11:41 PM »

page 11 dance
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #302 on: November 06, 2008, 09:12:40 PM »

When I got in, I immediately put on the movie of TROPIC THUNDER. It's funny, and I enjoyed it, but the review copy is the 2-disc director's cut which has put back in 14 minutes of footage cut for the theatrical release. Those 14 minutes (plus about 10 more) should be taken back out. At 121 minutes, it's just too long, and I got very restless at the climax of the movie wanting it to be over.

I just finished watching it, too.  I totally agree with you that they shouldn't have put the extra footage back into the film.  I started getting bored with it before the halfway point.

I wish that these studios would just release the theatrical versions of films and leave the deleted scenes as deleted scenes.
You can dream…or you can do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #303 on: November 06, 2008, 09:18:25 PM »

Well... Since we seem to be going down this road again today...  And since I believe the following is a very level-head "response", well...

Jeff Edgerton - Broadway actor, and fellow Facebook-er - posted the following "Note" on his profile.  I will only post the opening paragraphs, but his Notes are open to the "Public" - "Public" meaning members of Facebook" - but the full text is also able to be shared via e-mail.  So, if any non-Facebook-ers would like to read the rest of his Note, just PM with your e-mail address and I will forward it to you.

*And not all of Jeff's "Facebook Friends" have agreed with his stance, but they have enjoyed the resulting discourse.

Why the Republicans lost: An Objective View on Moral IssuesShare
Wed 2:25pm

Since it seems that so many people I know claim that I know a lot about politics, and that I am a pundit-in-waiting of sorts, I thought that it might actually be time for me to put my money where other people think my mouth is, to coin a phrase. While it’s patently clear where I stand with regards to our recent election, I’m going to attempt to be as objective as I possibly can and illustrate some reasons why and how the chips fell where they did, at least from my perspective.

First of all, I don’t want to deny that race has played a significant factor in this election, but I believe it is a symptom as opposed to the actual disease itself. I grew up in a small town in South Carolina where, despite the egregious amount of waving at intersections and “Hey ya’lls”, there was always an undercurrent of racist bias. There were families sitting in rocking chairs on patios telling the latest racist joke. There were grumblings about a certain part of town where “those people” were always causing trouble. These people are still alive today, and due to the continuation of that doctrine in many households, the bias has continued unfettered, and the electoral map reflects that bias in the Southern states. I hear people like Oprah Winfrey and Jesse Jackson saying things like there is “a shift in consciousness” or a “paradigm shift in America’s view on racism”, but I can’t help but think that they know those statements are false. Racism exists in this country, and it always will. Racial bias will always exist, and the only reason it was overlooked this year is that Obama did not run on the basis of “white guilt”, like many of his predecessors. The concept of white guilt is an essay unto itself, but rather than delve into the complexities of race, I want to dwell on the disease itself, rather than the surrounding malaises that exist.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #304 on: November 06, 2008, 09:20:19 PM »

And on that Note - literally - it's time for me to get read for bed.  I start playing auditions tomorrow morning at 9:30... Down by Union Square.  So, I have to leave here a bit earlier than usual.  Sleep will be a good thing.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #305 on: November 06, 2008, 09:21:11 PM »

Jose, he makes some good points...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #306 on: November 06, 2008, 09:22:03 PM »

Good night Jose...

Cillaliz

« Reply #307 on: November 06, 2008, 09:23:50 PM »

And I loved LIFE ON MARS, too. The USA TODAY critic really blasted tonight's episode of LIFE ON MARS, but I found it quite moving and very involving. (Of course, he doesn't like THE SHIELD at all, and I love it.)

I found the ties to the present very interesting too.  There are more hints to what is really happening, but I'm not so sure that they aren't just red herrings.  I am really enjoying this show.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #308 on: November 06, 2008, 09:27:41 PM »

When I got in, I immediately put on the movie of TROPIC THUNDER. It's funny, and I enjoyed it, but the review copy is the 2-disc director's cut which has put back in 14 minutes of footage cut for the theatrical release. Those 14 minutes (plus about 10 more) should be taken back out. At 121 minutes, it's just too long, and I got very restless at the climax of the movie wanting it to be over.

I just finished watching it, too.  I totally agree with you that they shouldn't have put the extra footage back into the film.  I started getting bored with it before the halfway point.

I wish that these studios would just release the theatrical versions of films and leave the deleted scenes as deleted scenes.

What's so frustrating is that with seamless branching they can have it both ways. The viewer can elect to see the theatrical cut or the new cut with all those deleted scenes. I don't know why so many studios have stopped using that feature.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #309 on: November 06, 2008, 09:29:11 PM »

Oh, my, it's very late! I need to get to bed.

Good night!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #310 on: November 06, 2008, 09:36:34 PM »

LOL!!!!!!!

I believe this is my favorite Facebook Status report of all-time (so far):

...watched a man in her subway car light matches because the woman in front of him farted.

;D

Perhaps he was lighting incense.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #311 on: November 06, 2008, 09:41:03 PM »

My goodness there have been a couple of real doozies today, posts-wise, and a few of them came from an infrequent visitor.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #312 on: November 06, 2008, 09:43:16 PM »

I've begun Demy number four, after checking out various transfers.  A film I've never heard of or seen called Parking, a version of Orpheus.  Very interesting so far.  A total bomb at the box-office and with critics and the public.  I'm only ten minutes in, however, so we'll see how it hangs together.  Demy was not well thought of in the 80s - none of his films did well - in fact, after The Pied Piper, nothing did well, and several of them were completely reviled and that includes Une Chambre En Ville, about which I'll have much to say in the notes.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #313 on: November 06, 2008, 09:49:17 PM »

What's so frustrating is that with seamless branching they can have it both ways. The viewer can elect to see the theatrical cut or the new cut with all those deleted scenes. I don't know why so many studios have stopped using that feature.

That "seamless branching" can be a little tricky.  I watched FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL a month or so ago, chose the theatrical version, and the movie skipped all over the place, backwards and forwards.  The disc even said that there could be problems with certain players.  [I have a 2 year old Sony, so go figure.]

You can dream…or you can do.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #314 on: November 06, 2008, 09:52:57 PM »

We had a perfectly perfect recording session tonight with the Pops.  I am so proud of this group, some of whom don't exactly read music fluently, for they have worked their behinds off and learned some fairly difficult arrangements.

In other news, what's everybody ordering this time 'round at DDD?  I always forget stuff that's come out, so I like to see everyone's list.  So far I think I'll get the Get Smart complete series set, since I don't think I'll be getting that to review, and Baraka on Blu-ray.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #315 on: November 06, 2008, 09:53:17 PM »

Oh, and I keep forgetting to post this:

Vibes to Vixmom and Jed's dad.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #316 on: November 06, 2008, 10:22:56 PM »

I am rewinding my tape now to watch Life on Mars. I am also enjoying that show along with Ugly Betty

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #317 on: November 06, 2008, 10:24:22 PM »

I'm through viewing for tonight and will finish Parking tomorrow, my day off.  I have an annoying errand to do, which I'll do pre or post run, haven't decided yet.  But that's all I have to do.  All packages have arrived save for the one from France, which I don't think has even been sent yet - we'll see if they respond to my e-mail.  If not, I'm going to cancel and order the item elsewhere.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11]   Go Up