Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MOST HAPPY FELLA  (Read 27151 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE MOST HAPPY FELLA
« Reply #330 on: November 11, 2008, 08:26:33 PM »

DR Michael S - That was the CD cover I posted earlier.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #331 on: November 11, 2008, 08:27:05 PM »

I spent a large part of the evening on those bonus features for WALL-E. "The Pixar Story" wasn't just an hour long; it was 90 minutes long which cut into a large portion of my evening. Anyway, I finally got through everything. In just a couple of weeks, I'll bet there will be an equally large number of bonus features of the next NARNIA film on Blu-ray.

Kudos for Disney doing ALL of the bonus features on the Blu-ray in 1080p. When you're watching the film in HD, it's SUCH a letdown when the bonus stuff goes back to lower resolution.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #332 on: November 11, 2008, 08:27:24 PM »

What do you call an Italian Salmon?

Da Fish!
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #333 on: November 11, 2008, 08:33:11 PM »

I think part of the problem with Pixar's recent grosses is just that for awhile, they were the only CGI animation game in town. Now, every studio has a CGI animation division, and Pixar must share the wealth with the other guys. One consolation is that WALL-E did outgross KUNG FU PANDA in the US even though PANDA is much less sophisticated and more kid friendly. (PANDA has far outgrossed WALL-E internationally, however.)

Matt H.

« Reply #334 on: November 11, 2008, 08:35:18 PM »

Since I spent so much time on WALL-E's bonus disc, I only had time for two TV programs tonight.

I began with NCIS, a good episode with a charming new rookie who I hope the producers will bring back occasionally. And it appears that Gibbs now suspects who the mole actually was. Can't wait for him to arrest her.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #335 on: November 11, 2008, 08:35:35 PM »

Oh, and there were SEE-lebrity sighting tonight too!

While we were at dinner, it turned out that Ted Turner was dining a couple of feet from us.  -And since we were eating at "Ted's Montana Grill" - which is his restaurant chain, well...  Although, it was kind of funny that he was sitting in a booth underneath the sign for the restrooms. ;)  *And they were out of the Bison Chopped Steak Special tonight too... "Does Mr. Turner know you're out of bison?"  ;)

And sitting a few rows down from us at the recital was one of Jeremy Denk's frequent collaborators, the violinist, Joshua Bell.  -Who's always so much taller when I see him in person.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #336 on: November 11, 2008, 08:36:48 PM »

And I ended my evening with FRINGE. Another intriguing sci-fi "monster anomoly" of the week, but I'm growing less enchanted with the show with each airing. The addled doctor is still good for a few chuckles each week, I must admit.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #337 on: November 11, 2008, 08:37:46 PM »

PAGE 12 JOSHUA BELL & JEREMY DENK DANCE!!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #338 on: November 11, 2008, 08:38:22 PM »

Tomorrow I'll have THE SHIELD, THE MENTALIST, and ELI STONE to catch up with.

Jennifer

« Reply #339 on: November 11, 2008, 08:51:15 PM »

Vibes for Vixmom! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matt H.

« Reply #340 on: November 11, 2008, 09:06:34 PM »

I have decided that I will begin THE ODD COUPLE box set tomorrow. Should have no trouble finishing it in a couple of days.

Matt H.

« Reply #341 on: November 11, 2008, 09:06:59 PM »

I'm heading down to bed now.

Good night!

Kerry

« Reply #342 on: November 11, 2008, 09:31:26 PM »

I always loved the song, "Never Will I Marry."  Judy Garland did a version on her TV show and on the album at the Paladium.  They picked up the tempo a bit so it wasn't quite so much of a dirge, and it ended up sounding more defiant and a little more poignant too.
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #343 on: November 11, 2008, 09:36:13 PM »

I always loved the song, "Never Will I Marry."  Judy Garland did a version on her TV show and on the album at the Paladium.  They picked up the tempo a bit so it wasn't quite so much of a dirge, and it ended up sounding more defiant and a little more poignant too.

Yeah, I like versions that add a bit of a hard edge to song - it actually works very well.  Linda Ronstadt does a great cover on her "Hummin' To Myself" album.
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #344 on: November 11, 2008, 09:49:20 PM »

Good evening....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #345 on: November 11, 2008, 09:51:30 PM »

Happy Veterans day...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #346 on: November 11, 2008, 09:53:07 PM »

Hugs and vibes to Danise..

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #347 on: November 11, 2008, 09:54:07 PM »

TOD:

Baby, its cold outside...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #348 on: November 11, 2008, 09:59:22 PM »

I went to Borders last night with a coupon to get 40% off three CDs!  I bought Dave Koz's "At the Movies - Double Feature" (it includes a DVD), Barry Manilow's "The Greatest Songs of the Seventies" (with also includes the dual-disc CD/DVD) and for something completely different, someone I’ve never heard of, Moya Brennan's "An Irish Christmas."  I'm listening to that right now and it's quite good.

Moya was the lead singer of Clannad, and is Enya's sister (or cousin--can't remember which).  Enya has a new Christmas CD out, too.

I really like Clannad and Enya..  Goodnews indeed taht they have a new albumout

She has also done some solo work in Ireland

td

• td
« Reply #349 on: November 11, 2008, 10:08:55 PM »

I've always been partial to Barbra Streisand's "Never Will I Marry."
Tony Perkins made a valiant attempt to sing it decades later on a PBS, or Entertainment Channel, special which was later re-titled "That' Singing" for the home video market.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #350 on: November 11, 2008, 10:09:09 PM »

Peru offered this dog to the Obama children.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7721784.stm

I'm sure they can't wait to cuddle with it.

REminds of one of those dogs you see on Egyptian heiroglyphics

The thought is in the right place... HOwever ina cold climate a breed like that could have issues. Washington can get cold in the winter but not as cold as here or parts of Canada

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #351 on: November 11, 2008, 10:11:25 PM »

Yes, a couple of people went and I know it was loved.  But I also remember a whole slew of other hainsies/kimlets who had every sort of excuse under the sun about not going - in other words, there was something about this film that wasn't "must see."  Since it's a brilliant work of art, I have no idea what that something was.

Do we have to go through all of this again?!?!?!

The DRs who normally go out to the theaters to see movies, saw "WALL-E" when it came out.  And, now, those who usually end up watching movies on DVD will do so now.

*And if only five or six DRs actually saw "Wall-E" during it's original theatrical release, then that's still a good percentage of regular DRs who saw the film. ;)

This is, of course, not quite accurate and a simple perusal of the posts from back then will tell the tale more eloquently than I can or you can.  It wasn't just people on this site (although the majority here did NOT see it back then), it was people everywhere.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #352 on: November 11, 2008, 10:12:30 PM »

well folks, the votes are in.... I see the oncologist on Friday

We have not told the Vixter yet - we will wait until the oncolgist tells us specifics, no need getting her upset when we don't have any specific answers for her

Please keep those prayers and vibes acoming

I send thoughts and prayers your way dear! You will be victorious, I know you will!

((Vixmom))

((Vixdad))

((Vixter))   

Love and prayers to you all...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #353 on: November 11, 2008, 10:13:36 PM »

As I write in, I think, Kritzerland, one of my favorite Loesser tunes is A Tune For Humming as done by George Shearing on one of his solo piano albums - brilliant.  Tony Walton ended up interpolating the song into his production of Where's Charley - it has nothing to do with Where's Charley and I didn't care for its inclusion, frankly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #354 on: November 11, 2008, 10:15:02 PM »

Finished with viewing for the evening.  Watched a great little oater I'd never seen.  Tomorrow morning will be a little crazy - must get up early and get the long jog done (in the new running shoes), and then I'm seeing Teddy to get my do done.  So I'll be nice and coiffed for my NY sojourn.  And we've just added Kerry Butler to our merry troupe of Bacharach performers.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #355 on: November 11, 2008, 10:16:12 PM »

Listening to a fantastic Willie Bobo CD, an import, one of those Japanese mini LP things - picked it up for a song - great songs, great playing by Mr. Bobo, and a full orchestra to boot and a handful of nice vocals, too.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #356 on: November 11, 2008, 10:17:39 PM »

People here will, I'm quite certain, remember at least one of us trying to spread the Wall-E word around these here parts - and no one was having any of it.  No matter how brilliant I said it was, no matter how hard I tried to get people to go see it, nothing.  Now, with the DVD, everyone is finding out just how right I was - Wall-E is, I believe, the lowest grossing Pixar film, or close to it, and I have no clew as to why, since it's a work of art and, for me, the best Pixar ever.

We had a limited date with the film. I am looking forwrd to seeing it.. We get five screens for harry potter or someother films and the more interesting ones both artistically and creative ones get a really short run.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #357 on: November 11, 2008, 10:19:51 PM »

Yes, a couple of people went and I know it was loved.  But I also remember a whole slew of other hainsies/kimlets who had every sort of excuse under the sun about not going - in other words, there was something about this film that wasn't "must see."  Since it's a brilliant work of art, I have no idea what that something was.

The movie also had a very weird release schedule when it came out too.  It stayed for weeks in some markets, while some places only had it for one or two weeks.

WE had it less than a week here...

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #358 on: November 11, 2008, 10:21:15 PM »

Do we have to go through all of this again?!?!?!

The DRs who normally go out to the theaters to see movies, saw "WALL-E" when it came out.  And, now, those who usually end up watching movies on DVD will do so now.

*And if only five or six DRs actually saw "Wall-E" during it's original theatrical release, then that's still a good percentage of regular DRs who saw the film. ;)

This is, of course, not quite accurate and a simple perusal of the posts from back then will tell the tale more eloquently than I can or you can.  It wasn't just people on this site (although the majority here did NOT see it back then), it was people everywhere.

Well... Next time, take ads out in "Variety" and "The Hollywood Reporter", and run a commercial on all four networks during primetime.  "I'm Bruce Kimmel, and I say, "See This Movie!""

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #359 on: November 11, 2008, 10:21:58 PM »

OK... Time for me to read though some more piano music before heading to bed.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up