Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY BEFORE TOMORROW  (Read 16682 times)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
Re: THE DAY BEFORE TOMORROW
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2008, 10:50:09 AM »

Rocky A

Rocky B

SIDE BY SIDE

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2008, 10:51:52 AM »

I SEE YOU!

WHO? ME?

OBLIVIOUS TO IT ALL

der Brucer

That Darn Cat! looks pregnant.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2008, 11:06:28 AM »

workies

And just after he dropped off-line, work called and asked if he would work an extra two hours this afternoon. That puts him at 36 for the week - which is pretty good for a part-timer! And he's already scheduled for 44.5 next week. The bank balance is happy. :D

der Brucer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2008, 11:11:11 AM »

Has anyone sent anything express mail recently?  I was told I can only send priority mail now.  I called the USPS 800 number & he said I can still do express mail, yet the website says express isn't guaranteed.  UPS will be more expensive to use but I would like the package to arrive by Wednesday.  Since our post office is closed today I will ship on Monday, whichever I use.

What exactly were you told?  Has Express Mail been discontinued in general?  Or was this just in regards to the package you need to get there by Wednesday?  Were you trying to mail it this morning?

You can always check the "Commitments" page on usps.com to check out the when's and where's of the guaranteed delivery times.

Some areas do have "exemptions" from the "guaranteed next day" rule according to geographic areas and delivery routes.  -I know that if I mail something to you in your part of Oregon from the DC area, the "commitment" is 2nd-day delivery not next-day for Express Mail.  I even have friends in Charlottesville, VA, who usually do not receive "next-day" deliveries due to the way the delivery routes work.

-I'm also wondering if the USPS is still adjusting to the influx of business as a result of taking on some of the former DHL workload.

The USPS site says they will take on the DHL business.

As for the express mail, I think/hope the woman on the phone was confused.  She was filling in & likely didn't know what she was talking about.  Yes, we rarely get a one day guarantee on express mail.  If I mail it in the morning it should be ok, and arriving Tuesday is fine.  Ashland is often the beaten path, business wise anyway.  I miss having a post office on Saturday's.

Jane

« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2008, 11:13:26 AM »

Boy the things you receive in your e-mail.  I guess I should say I can now die happy, now that I have seen Prince William's willy.

What!  No, I do not want to know ::)

Jane

« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2008, 11:13:36 AM »

Off to hike.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2008, 11:24:56 AM »

And I believe I'm going to head out for the afternoon too.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2008, 11:27:51 AM »

OH!

And just in case anyDR is still looking for ideas for Thanksgiving Dinner, the following recipe appeared in yesterday's, Tasting Table NYC e-newsletter.

Pumpkin Pie Jell-O Shots
Makes 8 pies

8 Keebler mini graham-cracker piecrusts
1 envelope Knox gelatin
1/3 cup canned pumpkin
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/8 teaspoon allspice
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
Pinch of ground nutmeg
1/2 cup vodka
1/2 tablespoon cold heavy cream
Fresh whipped cream, for serving

1. Arrange the piecrusts on a baking sheet. Place 1 cup cold water in the top of a double boiler and sprinkle the gelatin over the top. Let stand for three minutes.
2. Heat the gelatin mixture over a gentle simmer until the granules have dissolved. Add the pumpkin, sugar and spices and heat, stirring occasionally, until the pumpkin and sugar are completely melted. Remove from heat and cool for 30 minutes.
3. In a medium bowl, combine the vodka with 1/4 cup cold water and the heavy cream. Whisk in the pumpkin mixture and immediately divide it among the piecrusts. Chill until firm, at least 4 hours. Slice the pies into wedges, if desired, top with whipped cream and serve.
Make Your Own Luck.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2008, 11:42:08 AM »

THE JOLSON STORY
JOLSON SINGS AGAIN

How could I have forgotten those?
You can dream…or you can do.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2008, 11:42:09 AM »

Belaboring the obvious:

THE NEW YORKER

When the Library Is Full
James Surowiecki

November 21, 2008

Yet another story about declining DVD sales in the Times today. A chart accompanying the story shows that DVD sales have been stagnant since 2005, and are actually down after four per cent this year through September. And since DVDs are a major—the major?—source of profits for Hollywood these days, this is not a great sign for the business.

The curious thing to me, though, is that the flattening out and eventual decline of DVD sales had to be completely anticipated. After all, every year there are fewer and fewer good films for the studios to release on DVD. I’m not making a point about the quality of Hollywood’s new movies. Rather, I’m talking about the fact that a huge chunk of DVD sales over the years has come from the studios’ film libraries. The introduction of the DVD was a great boon to the studios’ bottom lines because DVDs were significantly better than videotapes (much better picture, and much longer-lasting) and people were, as a result, far more interested in owning them (rather than simply renting them). And people were interested not just in buying new movies, but also in buying older ones. So the studios have been able to turn their libraries into billions of dollars in sales.

The problem, obviously, is that those libraries, while vast, are limited. And at this point, while there are plenty of American movies that are still unavailable on DVD (Turner Classics runs many of them), most of the movies that even avid moviegoers would be interested in owning have already been released. Speaking from personal experience, the number of DVDs I buy has dropped steadily in the last couple of years, even given the release of some of the amazing retrospective box sets that the studios have put out, like Fox’s John Ford collection. There just is much less to buy.

Given this reality, I actually think the fact that DVD sales have basically stayed flat should be seen as something of a triumph. The problem for the studios, which the article alludes to, is that there’s no obvious revenue stream to replace the profits they’ve made from selling their backlist on DVD. The hope was that Blu-Ray would be the solution, but, from my perspective, the quality difference between Blu-Ray and DVD is not high enough to justify the massive price difference between the products, at least when it comes to movies I already own on DVD. I’ll buy some new releases, like “The Dark Knight,” on Blu-Ray. But I can’t see ever buying a Blu-Ray of, say, “Office Space,” to replace the DVD I own. In other words, unlike the way people upgraded from cassettes and albums to CDs, or from videotapes to DVDs, I think most movie watchers will be content to keep their current collections on DVD. And that means in the long run that Hollywood’s going to need to make up for a fairly sizeable drop in profits.

Well, there still is TV to take up some of the slack.

der Brucer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2008, 11:42:41 AM »

Must've been a senior moment.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2008, 11:48:42 AM »

Belaboring the obvious:

THE NEW YORKER

When the Library Is Full
James Surowiecki

November 21, 2008

Yet another story about declining DVD sales in the Times today. A chart accompanying the story shows that DVD sales have been stagnant since 2005, and are actually down after four per cent this year through September. And since DVDs are a major—the major?—source of profits for Hollywood these days, this is not a great sign for the business.

The curious thing to me, though, is that the flattening out and eventual decline of DVD sales had to be completely anticipated. After all, every year there are fewer and fewer good films for the studios to release on DVD. I’m not making a point about the quality of Hollywood’s new movies. Rather, I’m talking about the fact that a huge chunk of DVD sales over the years has come from the studios’ film libraries. The introduction of the DVD was a great boon to the studios’ bottom lines because DVDs were significantly better than videotapes (much better picture, and much longer-lasting) and people were, as a result, far more interested in owning them (rather than simply renting them). And people were interested not just in buying new movies, but also in buying older ones. So the studios have been able to turn their libraries into billions of dollars in sales.

The problem, obviously, is that those libraries, while vast, are limited. And at this point, while there are plenty of American movies that are still unavailable on DVD (Turner Classics runs many of them), most of the movies that even avid moviegoers would be interested in owning have already been released. Speaking from personal experience, the number of DVDs I buy has dropped steadily in the last couple of years, even given the release of some of the amazing retrospective box sets that the studios have put out, like Fox’s John Ford collection. There just is much less to buy.

Given this reality, I actually think the fact that DVD sales have basically stayed flat should be seen as something of a triumph. The problem for the studios, which the article alludes to, is that there’s no obvious revenue stream to replace the profits they’ve made from selling their backlist on DVD. The hope was that Blu-Ray would be the solution, but, from my perspective, the quality difference between Blu-Ray and DVD is not high enough to justify the massive price difference between the products, at least when it comes to movies I already own on DVD. I’ll buy some new releases, like “The Dark Knight,” on Blu-Ray. But I can’t see ever buying a Blu-Ray of, say, “Office Space,” to replace the DVD I own. In other words, unlike the way people upgraded from cassettes and albums to CDs, or from videotapes to DVDs, I think most movie watchers will be content to keep their current collections on DVD. And that means in the long run that Hollywood’s going to need to make up for a fairly sizeable drop in profits.

Well, there still is TV to take up some of the slack.

der Brucer

I totally agree with you.

With the exception of a few MGM titles from WHV in January (e.g. WATERLOO BRIDGE, FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD, GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS, the musical, etc.), I'm not aware of any classic titles that have been announced for the 1st quarter of 2009.

Nothing from Fox. Paramount or Universal.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »

Pray for me, DRs.  Zach is the proud owner of his first drum kit.  The house is now in Sensurround.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2008, 11:50:51 AM »

I do recall reading that Sony is releasing STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN, along with another Michael Powell film.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2008, 11:54:48 AM »

Pray for me, DRs.  Zach is the proud owner of his first drum kit.  The house is now in Sensurround.

I feel so sorry for you. 

We have a neighbor whose son practices drums daily.  Drives us crazy.

Suggestion: Depending on his age, tell Zach that inside the drums is (a) candy (b) a PLAYBOY magazine (c) a six-pack of Coors.

That could solve your problem.

;)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2008, 12:03:15 PM »

You have three choices:

Headphones
Handcuffs
Headaches

der Brucer

You could buy him an accordian....

DERBRUCER

« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2008, 12:07:47 PM »

Well, you know the saying...kids never stick to anything.

der Brucer

I think there might be a drumming excepetion to the rule ;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2008, 12:11:42 PM »

Back from the long jog.

FJL

« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2008, 12:24:01 PM »

I'm here, so i figure I'd better post something.

FJL

« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »

Wow, that post took a long time to get through.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #80 on: November 22, 2008, 12:26:07 PM »

IOWA FIRST - THEN OLYMPIA WASH

ASSOCIATED PRESS
IOWA COLLEGE BASES MUSICAL ON BIBLE'S 'TERROR' STORIES

DES MOINES, Iowa —  Don't expect to hear these Bible stories at church.
Cannibalism, rape, a bear that mauls children — this is the Bible?
They're among six stories from the Old Testament acted out in "Terror Texts," a musical at Northwestern College in Orange City.

Adding to the shocking nature of the stories are the theatrics, with actors decked out in Goth attire, a rock band and a mosh pit.

Oh, I see many roles for George!

der Brucer

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #81 on: November 22, 2008, 12:37:58 PM »

I'm at work (just for a couple of hours) and will have rehearsal at 2:00 pm.  Last night's concert by Linda Eder was WONDERFUL!  She did mostly standards and several from her Judy Garland album, which I helped sell in the lobby.  We also sold her brand new CD, The Other Side of Me, which I'm listening to right now.  It's more country-rock and also very good.  I didn't get to meet her, but I was able to send my CDs (I bought her new CD and I brought my copy of the Broadway cast recording of Jekyll & Hyde) backstage and she signed them! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #82 on: November 22, 2008, 12:39:48 PM »

After the concert, I went to a party at the house of the Reefer Madness director.  It was mostly the cast, but friends/partners were there, also.  I've known this for a couple of years, but there are A LOT OF SMOKERS in this theater company! :P :P :P Anyway, there was a lot of chatting and drinking (by others) and some eathing.  At the end of the evening, I drove a couple of people to their respective homes (I'm not a drinker and they were) and didn't get home until 2:30 am, or so.  I didn't turn on my computer or TV.  I just brushed my teeth and went to bed.  Then I eventually woke up, fed my cat, showered, and now am at work until rehearsal.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #83 on: November 22, 2008, 12:39:57 PM »

And that was my evening, last night.

George

« Reply #84 on: November 22, 2008, 12:40:51 PM »

IOWA FIRST - THEN OLYMPIA WASH

ASSOCIATED PRESS
IOWA COLLEGE BASES MUSICAL ON BIBLE'S 'TERROR' STORIES

DES MOINES, Iowa —  Don't expect to hear these Bible stories at church.
Cannibalism, rape, a bear that mauls children — this is the Bible?
They're among six stories from the Old Testament acted out in "Terror Texts," a musical at Northwestern College in Orange City.

Adding to the shocking nature of the stories are the theatrics, with actors decked out in Goth attire, a rock band and a mosh pit.

Oh, I see many roles for George!

der Brucer

I don't doubt that they (TAO...Theater Artists Olympia) would seriously consider it! ;)

Tomovoz

« Reply #85 on: November 22, 2008, 01:01:53 PM »

Glenn Miller Story
Eddie Duchin Story
Gene Krupa Story
Benny Goodman Story
The Fabulous Dorseys

(The only one of these I've seen in the past 40 years or so would be the Miller story)

Unlike many others I loved "Beyond the Sea"
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: November 22, 2008, 01:02:31 PM »

Good Afternoon...

Well...

Since I can't seem to find my keys, I'm still here at the apartment.  I do have the spare set of keys to use, so, that's good.  However, since I know I came in with them yesterday, they have to be somewhere here in the apartment, so I started doing some cleaning and organizing and decluttering and de-piling and piling.  Alas, still no keys.  However, my room is more or less presentable again.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #87 on: November 22, 2008, 01:04:00 PM »

"Almost Famous" was also an enjoyable movie.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: November 22, 2008, 01:04:19 PM »

And I still want to head out for bit anyway. I may just walk down to the Apollo Theatre to see if there's anyone still in line for the Dreamgirls open-call.  -I also want to check in on the casting directors just to see how frazzled they are.  ;)

-Or I could just head down to one of my favorite bakeries for a slice of cake.  Today is a cake day!  :)

OK...

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #89 on: November 22, 2008, 01:11:01 PM »

Lady Sing The Blues.
(And you need to know I saw that in Zurich!)
James Thurber 1957
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up