Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LIKE THE ICEMAN, 2009 COMETH  (Read 17187 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: LIKE THE ICEMAN, 2009 COMETH
« Reply #180 on: December 12, 2008, 09:04:54 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back! -Well, back at my apartment after leaving here at 8:45 this morning. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #181 on: December 12, 2008, 09:05:46 PM »

« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 09:33:30 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #182 on: December 12, 2008, 09:06:18 PM »

*I think there were a few people ice DANCING tonight in Central Park. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #183 on: December 12, 2008, 09:07:26 PM »

~~~~~~Continued VIBES to the VixFamily~~~~~~

*And, I have to say - DR vixter - You're much braver at your age, than I am at my current age.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #184 on: December 12, 2008, 09:15:44 PM »

So, in short...

I liked the movie of "Doubt", but I (still) prefer the play, Doubt.  -Although, I think I already said that.  However...

I did read the review in The Times after I saw the movie, and I was sort of surprised to see that I totally agreed with Manohla Dargis.  So, just The Times website if you'd like to know a bit more about what I thought of the movie.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #185 on: December 12, 2008, 09:20:10 PM »

And I did end up seeing another movie today after all, "The Reader".

A good movie. Alas, I was hoping for a "weepie", but I don't think I even teared up.  Again, a good movie, but I felt like it would have worked better with subtitles rather than having everyone speaking in heavily German-accented English.

*And, again, another movie almost ruined by "too much information" presented in the trailer and commercials. :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: December 12, 2008, 09:21:35 PM »

Just watched a fantastic French film from 2005 called L'Equipier, about which much more in the notes.  It is a film I shall return to in the near future.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: December 12, 2008, 09:22:05 PM »

In between movies, I did some window-shopping, shopping, and, of course, eating and knoshing.

*Which included a long overdue return trip to Levain.  It truly has been months since I've had one of their still-warm Chocolate Chip Walnut cookies.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #188 on: December 12, 2008, 09:23:19 PM »

Now I've begun Hitler: The Last Ten Days, starring Alec Guiness - it looks very interesting.  There seems to be some confusion about the aspect ratio - listed as scope on the imdb - the DVD is regular widescreen and I see no framing issues whatsover - there is a Panavision credit on the film, but I really think it's a Panavision equipment credit that's been erroneously reported as Scope.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: December 12, 2008, 09:23:29 PM »

bk - As for your Mac fan "problem"... You Mac person walked you through what I would have suggested.  So... Nevermind.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #190 on: December 12, 2008, 09:26:32 PM »

Well tomorrow is the big day.  I will unpack the saws, set them up in the garage, clean out "the room" downstairs, lay the moisture barrier (actually a sheet of plastic) and put in the floor.  Tomorrow is going to be in the 40s so it will be fairly warm in the garage and I can cut the laminate out there.   After tomorrow, it's going to get cold for the foreseeable future, so ....

I'm a little nervous about this...but I'm also very excited

GOOD LUCK!  I hope you are very pleased with the results.  I'll be watching for a photo.

Thanks!  I will take photos when I get it all done. I'm not totally sure I picked the right flooring, but I'm sure it will look fine.  Just a little last minute uncertainty...I hope.

I know that feeling.  Once you start are you committed or can you pull it out & get something else.  I've done that with wallpaper & paint, never a floor.

I just went downstairs and realized that although the floor is smooth, it doesn't appear to be level. And I laid down one of the pieces of floor only to realize that the walls aren't evern square.

So, I think I'm going to put this on hold until I can find more info on this.  I've read about it online and am not real comfortable with what I'm reading.  So, I've got to go back to Home depot and talk to someone before I open any more boxes.  I don't think I can return an open box, but I've only opened one.  I'm considering going ahead and getting it installed. I'd have to wait a month or 6 weeks, but I'm beginning to think that in this room, I may have more problems than it's worth.

So, I'll go to the store first thing in the morning. I also haven't opened the table saw, so if I'm not going to do this I can return that.  I can do anything else I need with the mitre saw.

I'm not chickening out. I just realized how many problems that room may have and I'm thinking that I'd rather have an installer deal with them.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #191 on: December 12, 2008, 09:26:51 PM »

And this bit of news made me laugh out loud (LOL, for short)...

Visa CEO loses his credit cards

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #192 on: December 12, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »

DR Cillaliz - As Norm the Carpenter always says: Measure Twice, Cut Once.  Smart move!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #193 on: December 12, 2008, 09:29:40 PM »

And since DR Ginny will have some more time on her hands, maybe...

Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #194 on: December 12, 2008, 09:34:20 PM »

I'm not sold on the pattern either.  So, I may be returning what I bought and getting one of the floors that looks like wood and paying for installation.  It's a cop out in a way, but I think it also may be the right thing to do.  As my mother said..."you have all year to finish that room...heck, you have all your life to do it, so what's the hurry?" 

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #195 on: December 12, 2008, 09:34:47 PM »

Well, I was planning on seeing another movie or two this afternoon, but since the sun is out, the sky is blue, and the air is crisp, I think I'm just going to forego more "inside" time for now, and just see where the day - and my feet - take me.

And was it awfully cold at the reservoir, Jose?

Not really.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #196 on: December 12, 2008, 09:37:16 PM »

That means I'll get the exercise of carrying it all up the stairs and loading up my car.  I'm actually considering a vinyl floor for that room.  I'm not particularly fond of vinyl floors, but with an uneven floor and walls that aren't really straight, I'm thinking that it may be the easiest. I can always cover it with an area rug....

Oh bother, I'm back where I started.  Better now than after I started cutting and putting the floor in.   I'll take another look in the morning. It may not be as big a problem as I think it is.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #197 on: December 12, 2008, 09:43:00 PM »

Chris and I saw AVENUE Q this evening; we couldn't decide on a film so we met at TKTS and got half price tickets. Neither of us had seen it, although I had really wanted to go when my friend Ann Harada was still with the original cast. Suddenly Ann was off to other things and I never got to it. We both had a great time.

And now to bed.

Well, Ann will be back on Broadway this spring when 9 to 5 opens.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #198 on: December 12, 2008, 09:43:40 PM »

LOL, why is it I haven't thought about the obvious...carpet!   Good grief! I've spent more time worrying about this floor.  think I'll sleep on it and go in tomorrow morning to deal with it

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: December 12, 2008, 09:44:15 PM »

Perhaps tonight will be the night to watch DOSTI: FRIENDS FOREVER, DR Matth!

I just know you will love that hunky, hairy Akshay Kumar!

Mike, when you list one of your favorite Indian actors, do you know the spelling, or do you have to look them up?

(I had to look up the spelling of Van Johnson)

I suspect that DR MBarnum looks them up whether or not he needs to check how their names are spelled.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #200 on: December 12, 2008, 09:44:46 PM »

LOL, why is it I haven't thought about the obvious...carpet!   Good grief! I've spent more time worrying about this floor.  think I'll sleep on it and go in tomorrow morning to deal with it

I was just about to suggest a nice shag.

Carpet, that is.
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #201 on: December 12, 2008, 09:45:38 PM »

I better go to sleep.  Maybe I'll deal with this and go to a movie tomorrow. LOL.  I'm way too unsure to do the job tomorrow

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #202 on: December 12, 2008, 09:45:56 PM »

DRs Ann and Jed - Thanks for producing(?) such a cute baby!  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #203 on: December 12, 2008, 09:49:39 PM »

The laptop is back to normal - no more fan, running cooler, so whatever we did worked.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #204 on: December 12, 2008, 09:49:57 PM »

And it seems Josè also had a hand in the book delivery:

The Complete Book of Pork opened right up to "Filipino Pork Adobo".

The recipe innocently calls for "Asian Fish Sauce" - which those of us with Nam experience know as nuoc mam - dead fish rendered in salt in a hole in the ground until properly "ripe".

der Brucer

Hmmm... "Real" adobo should not call for fish sauce - which, in this case, would be patis.  However, if you can find the proper "black vinegar", that makes all the difference.  Otherwise, the recipe should just call for chicken, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, onions, black pepper and a bay leaf.  -And, sometimes, oregano.  And, maybe patis on the side, but usually there's enough "sauce" in the pan to be sopped up by the rice.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #205 on: December 12, 2008, 09:50:49 PM »

I'd called on this very problem yesterday and the guy I got said there was nothing they could do over the phone and said if it persisted I should take it in to an Apple Store.  When I told today's gal what he said she got really upset - unfortunately, since he did nothing we had no case number and I certainly don't remember his name or anything.

Cillaliz

« Reply #206 on: December 12, 2008, 09:52:17 PM »

Glad you got the computer working again, BK

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #207 on: December 12, 2008, 09:52:26 PM »

I'm back from the easiest and quickest long jog ever.  Maybe I'll start switching it up, doing half the week in the morning and the other half at three-thirty.

I remember being very surprised the first time I did an afternoon jog.  After reading and hearing about how one should exercise first thing in the morning, well...  I was amazed at how "easy" it was, and also how much more efficient I was with my running stride.  I know a big part of the "ease" had to do with the fact that I had more food - energy - in my system in the afternoon, but it also helped me to be more mentally awake too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #208 on: December 12, 2008, 09:53:14 PM »

I'd called on this very problem yesterday and the guy I got said there was nothing they could do over the phone and said if it persisted I should take it in to an Apple Store.  When I told today's gal what he said she got really upset - unfortunately, since he did nothing we had no case number and I certainly don't remember his name or anything.

bk - If you called and gave your name and your Apple Care ID, then there should be a record of the phone somewhere.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #209 on: December 12, 2008, 09:54:42 PM »

I don't think I've ever had "creamy grits".

WHAT?!?!??!  Boy are you in for a treat!  :)

*If I see Cheese Grits available as a side on a menu, nine out of nine times ;) I will order them!
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up