Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THOSE DARN ESKIMOS  (Read 21135 times)

Cillaliz

Re: THOSE DARN ESKIMOS
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2008, 12:30:59 PM »

It is cold here in New York (though not as cold as it is in Iowa or Minnesota or Wisconsin). Anthony is off to dance class and I'm off to the grocery store.

We will have a tuna cassarole tonight and then we will watch Miss Pettigrew

I had a Smart Ones Tuna Gratin for lunch...does that count?

Oh yum, a tuna casserole sounds perfect on a cold day like this one.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2008, 12:31:45 PM »

I think my first foreign film would most likely have been The Red Balloon, which I saw at the Lido Theater the year it came out - it was on a double bill with Diabolique and we kids were allowed to stay for The Red Balloon but NOT for Diablolique - which means we paid to see a thirty-five minute short.  However, I have a dim memory of sneaking in to watch a little of Diabolique, but I wasn't that adept at reading the subtitles and I left.

THE RED BALLOON is a great film, but it's difficult for me to watch...for the same reason that I can't watch THE YEARLING or OLD YELLER.

I know it's silly and old garbage, but those kinds of films elicit an emotional response from me that I prefer to avoid.

:'(

That's how I feel about another favorite French film, AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS. I was so broken by the end I can never watch it again.

Same reason I refuse to see THE BOY IN THE STRIPED PAJAMAS.

Ditto.  I also don't think I will ever be able to watch Sophie's Choice again.  I watched it once and it haunted me for months.  Now having a child, I don't think I could stand it. 

When I was a kid, they used to show THE YEARLING every year on Thanksgiving.  I hated that movie.

And don't forget, WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS.

I've never seen RED FERN...and won't.

Another one that I can't watch...and this is really silly...is ONCE UPON A TIME.

That's the one with Cary Grant and the dancing caterpillar.  At the end, the thing turns into a butterfly and everybody is so happy, waving "goodbye" to it.

I'm sitting there, tears in my eyes, thinking that the butterfly is going to be dead in 24 hours or so.

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2008, 12:33:21 PM »

I think my first foreign film would most likely have been The Red Balloon, which I saw at the Lido Theater the year it came out - it was on a double bill with Diabolique and we kids were allowed to stay for The Red Balloon but NOT for Diablolique - which means we paid to see a thirty-five minute short.  However, I have a dim memory of sneaking in to watch a little of Diabolique, but I wasn't that adept at reading the subtitles and I left.

THE RED BALLOON is a great film, but it's difficult for me to watch...for the same reason that I can't watch THE YEARLING or OLD YELLER.

I know it's silly and old garbage, but those kinds of films elicit an emotional response from me that I prefer to avoid.

That's how I feel about another favorite French film, AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS. I was so broken by the end I can never watch it again.

Ditto.  I also don't think I will ever be able to watch Sophie's Choice again.  I watched it once and it haunted me for months.  Now having a child, I don't think I could stand it. 

When I was a kid, they used to show THE YEARLING every year on Thanksgiving.  I hated that movie.

And don't forget, WHERE THE RED FERN GROWS.

I've never seen RED FERN...and won't.

Another one that I can't watch...and this is really silly...is ONCE UPON A TIME.

That's the one with Cary Grant and the dancing caterpillar.  At the end, the thing turns into a butterfly and everybody is so happy, waving "goodbye" to it.

I'm sitting there, tears in my eyes, thinking that the butterfly is going to be dead in 24 hours or so.

And, let's not forget that terrific, feel good Tom Hanks comedy, TURNER AND HOOCH.

You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2008, 12:48:34 PM »

Looked up Mythbusters on the imdb and can't find anyone on the show who has anything to do with me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2008, 12:49:59 PM »

Sun is still trying to peek through clouds - I may just forego the run altogether, since I've already showered and gotten ready for the party I'm about to attend (for a very short time).  I then have to do some errands, but if I get back by three and the sun is out and it's not too chilly, then I may go ahead and do the long jog.

Tomovoz

« Reply #125 on: December 13, 2008, 12:54:10 PM »

I watched "Horton Hears a Who" last night.  I thought it was quite delightful

But then I love Seussical!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #126 on: December 13, 2008, 01:20:25 PM »

Looked up Mythbusters on the imdb and can't find anyone on the show who has anything to do with me.

I doubt this would be on IMDb, but you do have one very unique thing in common with one of the on-air people.  Unless you lied to us about some of your nefarious past credits.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: December 13, 2008, 01:34:05 PM »

Hello, everyone.
I am really beat. Marvelous Matt was here. He was supposed to be helping ME clean out the basement, but after one look I found it too daunting and went upstairs to sort through more books. My roofer came by and gave me an estimate, my real estate agent came by and we prepared my latest counter-offer. I think I went up and down stairs a million times today. Ugh! We're making progress, albeit slowly. WHERE DOES ALL THIS STUFF COME FROM??  I've been tossing diligently for several years!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: December 13, 2008, 01:34:57 PM »

Note to MISS KAREN:
Watch BEING JULIA for some good revenge tactics.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: December 13, 2008, 01:36:01 PM »

Congrats to FJL on a successful reading.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: December 13, 2008, 01:38:17 PM »

TOD:
Do I have a favorite foreign film? I'm too brain dead right now to think about it! Oy!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2008, 01:42:14 PM »

TTFN, kids.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #132 on: December 13, 2008, 02:19:57 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, I ended up seeing two more movies today.  Well, two and a 1/120th...

So... I hand my ticket, which I bought in advance yesterday, to the ticket taker at Lincoln Square - "Go to the Olympian, all the way back and to the left."  I get settled into my seat, and wait for the coming attractions to start at 10:00am, before "Frost/Nixon".  Well, 10:00 comes and goes.  -Ah, well, they must be having staffing problems again.  A few minutes later, the coming attractions start.  Another 15 minutes later, the final "cell phone announcement appears on screen, and the movie starts...

Hmm... Why would "Frost/Nixon" start with dulcimer strumming?  Oh, no!  They put the wrong movie in the projector, they're showing "Doubt" instead.  I look around to see if anyone else is annoyed that they're showing the wrong movie.  Well... No one else seemed to be be annoyed.  Damn! They changed the theatre!?!?!?!?

Pardon me.  Excuse me.  Pardon me.  Excuse me.

:-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #133 on: December 13, 2008, 02:26:46 PM »

So, I end up back in the same theatre that I saw "Doubt" in yesterday.  Thankfully, since the start times were only five minutes apart, I don't think I missed anything.  And, from what I could remember from the original play, it seemed like I had just missed some of the introductory remarks.  -Whew!  In any case...

I really, really, really liked "Frost/Nixon".  Michael Sheen and Frank Langella reprise their stage roles, and with the advantages of close-ups and more scenery and surroundings, their portrayals truly do come to life.  Langella, in particular, is humorous and heart-breaking at the same time.  Some of the "cinematic conventions" of the original play are followed, but Ron Howard manages to make them truly cinematic.  And like any good "historically-based" film, even though you know how it's going to end, there's still a great sense of the unknown and anticipation as things come to a head.

Strangely - or maybe not so strangely considering my current state of mind - I found "Frost/Nixon" quite a bit more emotionally involving and human than either of the movies I saw yesterday.

In short: I give it Five Cookies!  -Levain Cookies!

:) :) :) :) :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #134 on: December 13, 2008, 02:40:28 PM »

Then, since I was only a few blocks from the Lincoln Plaza Cinemas, I went ahead and caught the 1:05 showing of "Un Conte de Noël" ("A Christmas Tale"), the newest film by Arnaud Desplechin, which is headed by the still-stunning Catherine Deneuve.

It's a very hard to film to describe, and if any DR wants to know a bit more about the "plot", I'd say it's best to Google for some of the reviews.  It's one of those "slice of life" movies where everything and nothing happens.  It's a great mash-up of styles, both cinematically and musically (everything from Scarlatti to Cecil Taylor to Euro-Pop).  But...

It follows the lives of the various members of the Vuillard family over a period of a couple of days, the days preceding Christmas.  Each member of the family/cast is given their moment in the spotlight, with most of the action set in motion by the mother of the family, Junon (Mme. Deneuve) and her true black-sheep of the family, Henri (Mathieu Almaric - who is also the villain in the latest Bond flick).

It's not a film for everyone, and its running time of two and a half hours may be a little too long for it's own good, but I had a good time.  And even though the film does deal with some weighty matters - even a good dose of philosophy - it manages to bounce and veer from tangent to tangent with ease.  After seeing some more "heavier" material over the past 48 hours, it was nice just to sit back and enjoy the ride.  A very crazy ride.

Quatre biscuits
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #135 on: December 13, 2008, 02:41:33 PM »

I watched "Horton Hears a Who" last night.  I thought it was quite delightful

But then I love Seussical!

I <heart> Seussical too.  -Especially the new trimmed and streamlined version.  There are some wonderful "aches" in those melodies.
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #136 on: December 13, 2008, 02:42:28 PM »

The wonderful people at broadwayworld.com ran this on the TANGLED WEBS read-through, along with a lovely photo of Rebecca Luker:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Luker_Led_New_Musical_TANGLED_WEBS_Holds_Reading_20081213

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: December 13, 2008, 02:51:23 PM »

And speaking of French films...

"Le Ballon Rouge" was also my first French film.  First of second grade.
"La Lectrice" - Another "reader" movie, but most definitely not at all related to the current offering.
"En Coeur en Hiver"
"Les Parapluies de Cherbourg"
"Jean de Florette" et "Manon des Sources"
"La Cage aux Folles"
"La Pianiste"
"Diva"

...And many others that just aren't coming to my mind right now...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #138 on: December 13, 2008, 02:52:20 PM »

Empty, except for the little sheet with the calorie and nutrition info, of course

Although, most imported chocolates are not required to list their nutritional content.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #139 on: December 13, 2008, 02:52:56 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Glad to hear that everything worked out at Home Depot.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #140 on: December 13, 2008, 02:54:06 PM »

DR Miss Karen - Two words: Hair gel.  -It's clear, and it washes out easily.  And it can feel "gross" if someone is not expecting a big glob of it in their shoes. Or pockets.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #141 on: December 13, 2008, 02:57:17 PM »

OK, recipe time, since der B mentioned them...

O.P.O. Grits

1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole-grain grits
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

Bring the water, milk, cream, butter and salt to a low boil.

Add the grits, stirring rapidly on medium heat.  Stir and watch for 20 minutes, being careful not to let the grits stick.

Stir in the cheese, pour the grits into a crock pot or double boiler, and continue cooking for at least 1 hour.

Makes four servings.

Please, when attempting this, do not get confused and make all the measurements 1 cup.  The results could be less than desirable.

Serves FOUR!?!?!?!?  Heck, I was going to say Serves Eight.  I love my butterfat, but with all that heavy cream and cheese and butter.  WOW!

Now, of course, if you serve as a bed for some sauteed shrimp or a generous slice of ham with a simple green salad on the side, well... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: December 13, 2008, 02:58:18 PM »

I know it's silly and old garbage, but those kinds of films elict an emotional response from me that I prefer to avoid.

Hmm.. I don't think I've read or seen "Old Yeller" since fourth grade.

Although, the one that always got to me was "Sounder".  :(
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: December 13, 2008, 02:59:55 PM »

The Morgan was quite wonderful and we will be making return trips, especially on free Fridays!

The Babar exhibit was everything I wanted. I love the books and to see the early pencil drawings next to the finished pages was great. I bought a Hannukah present for a friend who is also a big Babar fan.

We also looked at Mr. Morgan's personal library and study. No, Ginny, I haven't yet read the book you mentioned last night. There is a picture of the librarian in what was her office. It's all very beautiful.

There have been major changes in the facility since I was last there. The entrance is in a new place (on Madison Avenue) and the old facade is not as visible but it's still an amazing place and I'm very glad we went (in spite of the cold).

DR Ben - How was the crowd last night at The Morgan?  I've attempted to "browse" at MoMA during their Free Friday Hours, but there's just too many people taking advantage of the "free-dom".  And, yes, the original pencil sketches are magical.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #144 on: December 13, 2008, 02:59:57 PM »

How nice for Ginny to be asked what she likes for her party!

Yes, and yellow cake with caramel icing sounds good.  I don't believe I have ever had it.

DR Jane - was Sanders still in business when you lived in Michigan?  They were Detroit confectionary that had a bakery outlet in our neighborhood supermarket.  They made the best yellow cake with caramel icing!

They had one close to us.  I foolishly didn't try the caramel icing. :o  I remember sending the fudge topping to friends who requested it.

Jane

« Reply #145 on: December 13, 2008, 03:01:54 PM »

O happy day:

www.sanderscandy.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=279

I thought they were out of business!

I remember them going out of business.  Interesting.

MBarnum

« Reply #146 on: December 13, 2008, 03:02:35 PM »

Oh I love me my animal movies, even if I know they are going to be sad.

Jane

« Reply #147 on: December 13, 2008, 03:02:46 PM »

I know it's silly and old garbage, but those kinds of films elict an emotional response from me that I prefer to avoid.

Have two children & it will really haunt you.

Jane

« Reply #148 on: December 13, 2008, 03:04:32 PM »

OK, recipe time, since der B mentioned them...

O.P.O. Grits

1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole-grain grits
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

Bring the water, milk, cream, butter and salt to a low boil.

Add the grits, stirring rapidly on medium heat.  Stir and watch for 20 minutes, being careful not to let the grits stick.

Stir in the cheese, pour the grits into a crock pot or double boiler, and continue cooking for at least 1 hour.

Makes four servings.

Please, when attempting this, do not get confused and make all the measurements 1 cup.  The results could be less than desirable.

I was gonna say...one cup of heavy cream and one cup of butter is gonna lead to a heart attack!!!

You forgot to include the cup of cheese.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: December 13, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »

Life is GOOD!

As they sing in South Pacific - and in keeping with the Topic of the Day...

La vie est belle!.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up