Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THOSE DARN ESKIMOS  (Read 20982 times)

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
Re: THOSE DARN ESKIMOS
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2008, 08:47:02 AM »

BK Trivia Question!  (That maybe not even BK will know the answer to).  I'm reviewing a new 2 DVD set of Mythbusters episodes, and one contained a very interesting little tidbit of information.  Does anyone know the connection between Mythbusters and our very own BK?

Are you saying that BK is a myth?

;D
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2008, 08:48:51 AM »

BK Trivia Question!  (That maybe not even BK will know the answer to).  I'm reviewing a new 2 DVD set of Mythbusters episodes, and one contained a very interesting little tidbit of information.  Does anyone know the connection between Mythbusters and our very own BK?

;D

Is this the "Big Blasts Collection" of Mythbusters?

I have that one, but haven't looked at it yet.

If so, which episode should I check out?

Thanks.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2008, 08:49:07 AM »

DR Cilla, I expect you know this already....I don't remember who suggested a shag carpet but I highly suggest you don't get one with cats.  They are a complete pain to clean up fur balls & everything else a pet might accidentally leave in the carpet. :P

Jane

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2008, 08:56:45 AM »

I believe it is Sunday in the land of Tomovoz, which means...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: December 13, 2008, 08:59:13 AM »

Having never heard of Mythbusters, I have no idea.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #65 on: December 13, 2008, 09:00:00 AM »

;D

Is this the "Big Blasts Collection" of Mythbusters?

I have that one, but haven't looked at it yet.

If so, which episode should I check out?

Thanks.

Indeed it is, and you will get a clue in the "tease" for Exploding Port-a-Potty (are you all ROTFLYAO yet?).  You might need to know the aracana of BK's career to get the connection.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2008, 09:00:16 AM »

Miss Karen - I'll leave it to others, but you have to go into your preferences (click on your name) and then you'll be able to quote and not have problems.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2008, 09:00:45 AM »

I guess I'll head down now to check the mail, read the morning paper (I slept so long this morning I didn't have time to read it if I wanted to stay on schedule for my morning workout), and then start fixing lunch.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2008, 09:00:49 AM »

I'm up.  Looks like it's been raining and seems to either have stopped or is lightly drizzling, so no long jog for now.

JMK

« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2008, 09:01:19 AM »

Having never heard of Mythbusters, I have no idea.

Mythbusters is one of the most consistently entertaining and funny science fact shows on Discovery.  It features two SFX guys who try to either confirm or debunk urban legends/myths like, f'rinstance, the one of the guy smoking in a port-a-potty who set himself on fire when the methane fumes exploded.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2008, 09:02:24 AM »

OK, recipe time, since der B mentioned them...

O.P.O. Grits

1 cup water
1 cup milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup melted butter
1 tsp salt
1 cup whole-grain grits
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese

Bring the water, milk, cream, butter and salt to a low boil.

Add the grits, stirring rapidly on medium heat.  Stir and watch for 20 minutes, being careful not to let the grits stick.

Stir in the cheese, pour the grits into a crock pot or double boiler, and continue cooking for at least 1 hour.

Makes four servings.

Please, when attempting this, do not get confused and make all the measurements 1 cup.  The results could be less than desirable.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2008, 09:05:06 AM »

;D
No, but he was married once and therefor had a mythyth.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2008, 09:09:12 AM »

;D
No, but he was married once and therefor had a mythyth.

:D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2008, 09:16:41 AM »

So what is the connection between Mythbusters and BK?  Whatever it is, I'll debunk it.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2008, 09:18:07 AM »

Good morning!

DH Jed and I are both huge fans of Mythbusters.  So entertaining and informative.  I actually mentioned it to my mother the other day when she started in on the danger of Christmas lights catching fire on a tree.  They did an episode once where they thoroughly debunked that myth.  They tried everything to get that tree to light on fire, with no luck at all.  They also did an episode testing the various methods of keeping a live Christmas tree alive, but I don't remember the results of it.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #75 on: December 13, 2008, 09:19:20 AM »

TOD -
8 Women and
The umbrellas of Cherbourg

JMK

« Reply #76 on: December 13, 2008, 09:21:22 AM »

So what is the connection between Mythbusters and BK?  Whatever it is, I'll debunk it.

I think we should wait to see if anyone knows.  I'll give you a big clue, though--it's about one of the Mythbusters' on-air folks' previous credits.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #77 on: December 13, 2008, 09:25:13 AM »

I will be out of the house most of the day today.  Toby and I are going to gird our loins (no small feat for Toby) and brave the mall to do some Christmas shopping.
When I first typed that, I said gird our lions.  I imagine lions would be much more difficult to gird than loins.  Lions might not want to be girded, and I doubt you'd be able to gird an unwilling lion.  What the HELL am I talking about? 

So we shall brave the mall, hopefully get some presents purchased, then go to the grocery store and get the fixings for some more breakfast cookies.  I have found a delicious health-cookie recipe.  It's so easy to freeze a batch of these cookies and heat up a few for breakfast on my way out the door in the morning.  Since I have to leave before 6 am, anything to save time is greatly valued. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: December 13, 2008, 09:34:54 AM »

I think my first foreign film would most likely have been The Red Balloon, which I saw at the Lido Theater the year it came out - it was on a double bill with Diabolique and we kids were allowed to stay for The Red Balloon but NOT for Diablolique - which means we paid to see a thirty-five minute short.  However, I have a dim memory of sneaking in to watch a little of Diabolique, but I wasn't that adept at reading the subtitles and I left.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: December 13, 2008, 09:36:11 AM »

TOD:

I have not seen very many French films, yet, but there are two Jean Gabin films that I saw last year and really enjoyed:

Port of Shadows

The Daybreak

Ginny

« Reply #80 on: December 13, 2008, 09:39:53 AM »

So far today, my manager has asked me:

"What's your favorite kind of cake?" - Yellow with caramel icing

"What kind of punch do you like?" - Simple & not too sweet; no sherbet floaties - that stuff makes me gag

Can you tell my retirement party is Monday?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ben

« Reply #81 on: December 13, 2008, 10:01:06 AM »

How nice for Ginny to be asked what she likes for her party!

I don't have a clue about MythBusters and BK. We don't have that channel on our limited cable service.

Ben

« Reply #82 on: December 13, 2008, 10:02:17 AM »

It is cold here in New York (though not as cold as it is in Iowa or Minnesota or Wisconsin). Anthony is off to dance class and I'm off to the grocery store.

We will have a tuna cassarole tonight and then we will watch Miss Pettigrew

Ben

« Reply #83 on: December 13, 2008, 10:06:12 AM »

The Morgan was quite wonderful and we will be making return trips, especially on free Fridays!

The Babar exhibit was everything I wanted. I love the books and to see the early pencil drawings next to the finished pages was great. I bought a Hannukah present for a friend who is also a big Babar fan.

We also looked at Mr. Morgan's personal library and study. No, Ginny, I haven't yet read the book you mentioned last night. There is a picture of the librarian in what was her office. It's all very beautiful.

There have been major changes in the facility since I was last there. The entrance is in a new place (on Madison Avenue) and the old facade is not as visible but it's still an amazing place and I'm very glad we went (in spite of the cold).

Ben

« Reply #84 on: December 13, 2008, 10:06:59 AM »

I also bought dog treats this morning as presents for two dog owner friends.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: December 13, 2008, 10:07:52 AM »

Good morning!

DH Jed and I are both huge fans of Mythbusters.  So entertaining and informative.  I actually mentioned it to my mother the other day when she started in on the danger of Christmas lights catching fire on a tree.  They did an episode once where they thoroughly debunked that myth.  They tried everything to get that tree to light on fire, with no luck at all.  They also did an episode testing the various methods of keeping a live Christmas tree alive, but I don't remember the results of it.

How come the news often reports the house burned down because of the Christmas lights?

Jane

« Reply #86 on: December 13, 2008, 10:09:51 AM »

How nice for Ginny to be asked what she likes for her party!

Yes, and yellow cake with caramel icing sounds good.  I don't believe I have ever had it.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #87 on: December 13, 2008, 10:11:21 AM »

I think my first foreign film would most likely have been The Red Balloon, which I saw at the Lido Theater the year it came out - it was on a double bill with Diabolique and we kids were allowed to stay for The Red Balloon but NOT for Diablolique - which means we paid to see a thirty-five minute short.  However, I have a dim memory of sneaking in to watch a little of Diabolique, but I wasn't that adept at reading the subtitles and I left.

THE RED BALLOON is a great film, but it's difficult for me to watch...for the same reason that I can't watch THE YEARLING or OLD YELLER.

I know it's silly and old garbage, but those kinds of films elict an emotional response from me that I prefer to avoid.

:'(

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: December 13, 2008, 10:20:36 AM »

THE RED BALLOON is a great film, but it's difficult for me to watch...for the same reason that I can't watch THE YEARLING or OLD YELLER.

I know it's silly and old garbage, but those kinds of films elict an emotional response from me that I prefer to avoid.

:'(

That's how I feel about another favorite French film, AU REVOIR LES ENFANTS. I was so broken by the end I can never watch it again.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

« Reply #89 on: December 13, 2008, 10:24:13 AM »

DR elmore,

SAFE AND EASY TRAVEL VIBES!!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up