Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ATTACK OF THE CLONES  (Read 36502 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ATTACK OF THE CLONES
« on: March 03, 2004, 12:01:21 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you can now put the notes together to make a lovely song, then you can sing the notes by posting until the cows come home.  
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 12:03:32 AM by bk »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:ATTACK OF THE CLONES
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2004, 12:25:50 AM »

Good Evening! Good Morning!

I cleaned my room.  I re-sorted my bills.  I put away my laundry.  I washed the dishes.  I put out the recyclables.  I took out the garbage.  Then I packed for my trip.  And now it's 3:15AM EST, and I'm sitting here watching an info-mercial for something called the "Magic Bullet"  - It's called a blender people!!!  So...

Oh - Blue and White plaid sleep shorts, old blue Izod polo shirt (I think it's at least 10 years old, if not 12-14).

"Queer Eye" was fun tonight, although Kyan didn't take the guy to a salon this time.  However, he did take him to get a hot rock massage - and he got down to his skivvies too!  So.. It's a trade-off.  ;)

It was fun watching this episode for all the "people watching".  "Oh, that's Hunter Foster... and there's John Tartaglia... Isn't that the guy from MTC? ... Hey, I worked with her a few years ago!...Etc., etc., etc."  And I just have to wonder if tonight's broadcast will have any effect on the show they were workshopping.  If it will help - or possibly hinder - a future production of it.

Question for BK:  Have you ever worked on a project - at whatever stage - that ended up getting some additional publicity from another "source"?  -Like the workshop on tonight's episode of "Queer Eye"?

Or has there ever been a project that started off as one thing, but somewhere along the line became something totally different... and it actually worked?

Well, I need to be up in about five hours... At least I'm not flying out until 10:30!  -I'm soooo over 6:30AM flights!

I'll do my best to post from Chattanooga, but I have a feeling I'm gonna be a little busier than usual this time round.  So, as our esteemed BK keeps reminding us.. "Keep the home fries burning!"

WOW!!!  It's a BLENDER!!!!

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2004, 01:47:23 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%][size=20]DER BRUCER IS GODLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/size][/move]

Making ours the first double-deus house on the block!

It also makes it appropriate that "Gods" is "Dogs" spelled backwards!  (Well, actually, it ends up being "Sdog," but you get the idea.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2004, 02:52:27 AM »

WELCOME TO

NEW HHW GOD

DERBRUCER!!!
This message says (in WingDing):

Welcome to new HHW GOD derBrucer!

Lovely late night frenzy Mr BK!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 04:33:53 AM »

Pretty Poison has Beverly Garland.  :P

My question for ASK BK Day....and of course the other DR's - of a certain age:

44 years ago today, Lucille Ball filed for divorce from Desi Arnaz - the day after completing all filming required under their mutual contract with Westinghouse.

If you were around then...and some of us were...how did you feel about the news?

Michael

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 04:33:53 AM »

1) Do you think CD of Dame Edna Sings Sondheim would be a seller?

2) Do you think the Disney voters will vote out Eisner?

3) Now that you acted again in Bullshit, do you think you will actively search out more acting roles?

4) What was your favorite TV acting role/episode in comedy, tv and variety?

5) Choose one film, tv show or recording that you'd like to "disown" and why.

6) There were the Golden Turkey awards for the worse films ever made. If there was a similar award who would you choose for the Worst Musical, Worst Book, Worst Score, Worst Actor and Actress, Worst Choreography, Worst Set Design, Worst Costumes. (In order to name the winners you have to have actually seen the show with exception of worst score which one can vote for if the heard it on a cd/lp/cassette/8track/45 EP)

7) Do you listen to NPR (National Public Radio. Similar to CBC1, BBC1 ABC {Australian Broadcasting Corp} [I think] and if so what are your favorite shows?

8) Do you really like answer these questions on Ask BK Day?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2004, 04:36:07 AM »

My question for ASK BK Day....and of course the other DR's - of a certain age:

44 years ago today, Lucille Ball filed for divorce from Desi Arnaz - the day after completing all filming required under their mutual contract with Westinghouse.

If you were around then...and some of us were...how did you feel about the news?

I wanted my blankie and my blue stuff poodle.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2004, 04:48:03 AM »

Dearest BK,  this is not an Ask BK question, which will be next, but is something up with the site this morning?  Nothing seems to be connecting, and it took me twice the usual time to read the last 2 pages of yesterday's notes because I had to go back to the discussion panel and reload when the next page wouldn't load in.

All right, it's off my chest.  My question is for you and your DVD mavens:  I'm going to list some films I'd like to see on DVD.  Perhaps you might be able to answer what's up with them and what films would you like to see released?

1.  VAMPIRE CIRCUS, a very guilty pleasure, but I don't believe it was ever released as a video either
2.  OH, WHAT A LOVELY WAR!  It was timely in 1969, and I think it should be released in honor of our current president
3.  THE INNOCENTS, maybe my favorite Deborah Kerr film
4.  THE UNINVITED, my favorite ghost film
5.  FLOWER DRUM SONG, DR MBarnum's beloved musical

Another bit of news, dearest BK, is that I ordered BENJAMIN KRITZER in cloth yesterday, since I figured I should have all three in the same edition.

I have to run.  I have a meeting with the good folk from Goodspeed and the wonderful Tony Walton about WHERE'S CHARLEY?  Oh, BK, would that you were available to play Charlie!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2004, 05:08:49 AM »

Jane: Yes, I read Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel. Pretty exciting stuff.

Yesterday the men had even bigger equipment.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2004, 05:22:43 AM »

Oh, DR MS - I am hoping that since they released the FLOWER DRUM SONG soundtrack on CD last year, that maybe they are contemplating a DVD release!

Ben

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2004, 05:45:47 AM »

No questions from me today. I, like Mr. Elmore, had mucho trouble trying to read the posts from last night. I finally just closed the browser for about a half hour until I stopped getting the "too many connections" error.

I've been on a little theatre frenzy here. I recently saw Phantom (free tickets), Wonderful Town, Fiddler, Movin' Out and I'm seeing Wicked tonight and I'm going to try and see Sweeney at New York City Opera next week.

Capsule reviews:

Phantom: Ehh, not bad, sure don't know why it's run for 16 years, though.

Wonderful Town: Donna Murphy is great and there will be a Tony battle I'm sure between Ms. Chenowith, Ms. Murphy and Ms. Menzel (from what I hear, I'll know more tonight after I see Wicked). The show is well done on a scale a little bit higher than Encores but  not a full blown Greenwich Village apartment kind of production.

Movin' Out: A great music/dance piece. Not your standard musical theatre, but a good night of entertainment.

Fiddler: In my humble opinion, it's not the turkey it has been portrayed to be. There are problems in the show (direction being one of them) but it's not a stinker. Alfred Molina is perfectly capable as Tevye. He's not outstanding/amazing/wonderful, but he does a good job and will probably be nominated for a Tony. Nancy Opel (who is a wonderful actor, she was in Urinetown and played Evita many times on Broadway during LuPone's run) is not exactly right for Yenta. I don't know what the differences were between Leveaux and Barbara Barrie who was let go during rehearsals but Opel, who replaced her, is a little young for the role. Because she's so good as an actor, she hits all the notes and does what she should but, it just seemed like something was missing. Randy Graff as Golde was excellent. I love Miss Randy Graff and she does a good job here. The core of Fiddler is still there and it still moves me. Far From the Home I Love still makes me tear up. That's a short take on Fiddler.

I'll talk about Wicked tomorrow. The NYC Opera production of Sweeney has Elaine Paige as Mrs. Lovett and Mark Delavan (he's being promoted as "America's answer to Bryn Terfel") is playing Sweeney.

TTFN

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2004, 06:13:52 AM »

DR Ben,

Thanks for the reviews - they help bridge the gap between King Street (Mamma Mia and the upcoming Hairspray) and Broadway.

I saw Cabin in the Sky in 1964, when it played off-Broadway and starred Rosetta LeNoire and Kitty Lester. The audience begged Rosetta LeNoire for encore after encore of "Taking A Chance On Love" - I think it's the most encored number I've ever seen.

After the show I found myself on the subway with Kitty Lester. I told her that my Uncle Sam had seen the Ethel Waters production in 1940. To Kitty Lester and myself, that seemed like such ancient history. It was, in fact, all of 24 years. Now I'm reminiscing about a show I saw 40 years ago. I am my own Uncle Sam.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2004, 06:15:55 AM »

We interrupt our regularly scheduled Jovial and Jiggy discussions of Lighthearted Merriment and Good Humor for the following Unseemly Rant:

Oscar Wilde said, "If this is the way Her Majesty treats her prisoners, she doesn't deserve to have any."  And I am inclined to agree.  I have been dealing of late, by phone, letter, lawyers and doctors, with the appalling "Medical Care" afforded those in the old klinkeroo, specifically You-Know-Who.  Faxing legal documents such as Health Care Proxy and Power of Attorney to lock-up physicians who then say, "If I had known you weren't a medical doctor, I wouldn't have talked to you--and I must respect the [snicker] patient's right to privacy."

Then, in arranging various legal, financial, and real-estate documents with my dear, dear paralegal friend Debby, I am told, "Bill, you know this would be so much easier if you were married."  And then to read in Newsday that, according to more than one legal task force there is absolutely nothing in New York State Law preventing that--except for the refusal of officials to grant marriage licenses.

But the times they are a-changin', oh yes they are, and faster than anyone expected.  Why, in no time at all everyone will wonder what all the fuss was about.  But at least it's a good way to get people to stop thinking about the economy and the national debt and foreign relations and all those other irrelevant things in an election year.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled Lighthearted Frivolity.

And now I must make phone calls and submit documents and visit my legally unrecognized partner.  And, time permitting, do some shopping, housework, laundry, and destroy Western Civilization.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 06:22:51 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2004, 06:39:57 AM »

Wasn't yesterday also Desi's birthday?  At least Lucy waited a day to serve him the papers (unless they were tucked into his birthday card...)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2004, 06:44:38 AM »

I typed a long message (in the regular reply section since I wanted to use bold and italics) and when I pressed "Preview" to check for typos I got the "Can't Find Page" message.  When I hit the back arrow it was gone.  This is not the first time that has happened although it is not the norm.  I'll re-type it in Word and paste it in.  Has this ever happened to other DRs?
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2004, 06:51:31 AM »

LOL Dan the Man - Desi and Lucy were contractually tied to Westinghouse to complete a certain number of the Lucy-Desi Specials.  They filmed "Lucy Meets the Moustache" with Ernie Kovacs and Edie Adams on the night of March 2 - Desi's birthday - and Lucy having completed her business obligations went into court the next day.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2004, 06:59:25 AM »

I typed a long message (in the regular reply section since I wanted to use bold and italics) and when I pressed "Preview" to check for typos I got the "Can't Find Page" message.  When I hit the back arrow it was gone.  This is not the first time that has happened although it is not the norm.  I'll re-type it in Word and paste it in.  Has this ever happened to other DRs?

The board is acting strange this morning.  I've gotten the "Too many connections" error a couple of times.  It's probably the fault of the AOL guy BK was dealing with yesterday.

Which brings up my question:  BK, why are you still futzing around with AOL?  You are on cable!  You should be zooming around the web untethered to the AOL portal.  Aside from retaining any AOL e-mail addresses and/or screennames, what are the advantages of remaining with them?

Here's a question for all:  what are your favorite films that still haven't been released on DVD?  Mine are REDS and AN UNMARRIED WOMAN.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2004, 07:04:38 AM »

Dan-the-Man, I loved Reds. I think it's an overlooked film. I remember the Oscars that year and  was very glad that Beatty won for Director but disappointed that Chariots of Fire won for Best Picture.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2004, 07:07:05 AM »

For Ask BK Day - What is the latest status on adding the archives of The Broadway Radio Show to this here site so I can hear a show I missed or re-listen to a favorite?  Every time I have asked this question, the reply has been "Soon, I promise" (a Sondheim reference).  I just wonder if there has been an update on when this promised addition will be made.  (Note - Donald did NOT put me up to this)

Elmore - Who is doing WHERE'S CHARLEY and when?  I missed the Christopher Fitzgerald version a couple of years ago and would live to see this show.  Even with the characters Charley and Fancourt from the play combined, it's a great show.

Musicals Tonight did CABIN IN THE SKY last fall and it is much better on stage than on film.  Of course Minnelli isn't the ideal director for a story about poor Blacks in the South.

I watched the Natalie Wood movie last night (taped from Monday - why spend 3 hours watching a 2¼ film?) and BK was definitely right.  At first it fell into the "so bad it's good" category with every cliché in the book, but by the end when they spend way too much time on her death, it was just plain bad.  Her mother (in that awful wig) made Mama Rose look kind in comparison.  And was Natalie really a friend of Marilyn.  The reason it was a cast I was unfamiliar with was that it was filmed in Australia.  I hated the fact that they used real friends of Natalie in documentary-like clips and that even film scenes and magazine/newspaper clippings used photos of the real people instead of the actors playing the roles.  But the saddest thing was thinking of "Last Picture Show", "What's Up, Doc?", "Paper Moon", et. al and wondering what ever happened to Peter Bogdonovitch.

Headline in today's New York Times:
NEIL SIMON RECEIVES KIDNEY DONATED BY HIS PUBLICIST
My follow up:
PUBLICIST GETS NEIL SIMON A NEW YORK TIMES HEADLINE

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2004, 07:08:29 AM »

LOL Dan the Man - Desi and Lucy were contractually tied to Westinghouse to complete a certain number of the Lucy-Desi Specials.  They filmed "Lucy Meets the Moustache" with Ernie Kovacs and Edie Adams on the night of March 2 - Desi's birthday - and Lucy having completed her business obligations went into court the next day.

I'm sure you saw that Lucy/Desi telepic on CBS last year.  I was surprised how much I liked it.  Rachel York and [guy who played Desi] did pretty credible jobs, I think.  The final scenes of the telepic depicted that last day of filming, and I was able to gain a sense of how difficult it must have been for all involved, particularly for Lucy, knowing what she was planning to do the following day.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2004, 07:09:27 AM »

Good morning DRs! I am happy to report that the beautiful state of Oregon...the Pacific Wonderland...is now the next state to issue marriage licences to same sex couples. It seems that in Multnomah County the law did not state that marriage was between a man and a woman!

Licences will be issued starting at 10:00 am today in Multnomah County. They are also waiving the 3  day wait period before you can be married, so there will likely be a number of same-sex marriages today as well.

Oregon has always maintained that it was a progressive state, and this proves it! I am very happy to be a native Oregonian today!

MBarnum

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2004, 07:11:59 AM »

Favorite films not yet released on DVD: well there are quite a few...MURDER IN THE BLUE ROOM, FLOWER DRUM SONG, KING KONG (although that one is coming), THE CAT PEOPLE, CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE, HOT CAR GIRL (June Kenney!), QUEEN OF OUTER SPACE, and oh my gosh I could go on all day!

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2004, 07:12:18 AM »

Congrats to our newest God!

Re: AMERICAN IDOL

For those like DR Charles Pogue who are annoyed with the show, just watch the wild card.  In past years, to me, that is where the show has really changed.  Because instead of watching terrible performances, we should see some really good ones (hopefully).

Re: last night's show

I agree with DR MattH, I think as long as a person puts SPOILERS in caps, I don't think the Tuesday show can really be spoiled.  It's the results shows that nobody should post about until after it airs on the West Coast.

As for my favorites, the only one I really want to advance is the red-head, John Stevens. I just like the way he sings.

The only others I thought were noteworthy are the same 3 that DR MattH mentioned.

The first girl had a nice voice. But I sort of agree with Simon. She just didn't wow me.

I thought Jasmine (Hawaii) was okay.  The judges were saying that they love the sound of her voice/the tone ... and I agree with that.  I like the way her voice sounds, just not sure I love her.

The last girl (was her name Tiara?), has a very good voice. She is probably the one who should go through. Although Simon was not happy with her.

It will be interesting to see who the fans choose.  I would guess Tiara, John and Jasmine.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2004, 07:16:29 AM by Jennifer »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2004, 07:12:31 AM »

Dan-the-Man, I loved Reds. I think it's an overlooked film. I remember the Oscars that year and  was very glad that Beatty won for Director but disappointed that Chariots of Fire won for Best Picture.

Chariots is still one of those pictures that I never "got".  I revisit it from time to time, but it still does nothing for me.  Reds, however, still never fails to sweep me into its story.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2004, 07:12:43 AM »

Okay, that worked although even when I cut and paste it doesn't recognize the bolds and italics so I entered them manually.

Dan - The films I want to see most on DVD are the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT series - preferably in a boxed set with the 3 THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT films (director's cuts), THAT'S DANCIN', and one or two bonus DVDs expanding on the VHS bonuses.  I'd also like to see all ten Fred & Ginger films, and since Warner Home Video  owns them all it would be nice to see a boxed set like they are doing next month for the Marx Brothers.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2004, 07:25:31 AM »

WELCOME TO

NEW HHW GOD

DERBRUCER!!!
This message says (in WingDing):

Welcome to new HHW GOD derBrucer!

Lovely late night frenzy Mr BK!

THANK YOU JRAND53

der Webdinging Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2004, 07:43:18 AM »

Welcome Der Brucer to Goddom! Of course you have always been like a God to me, but now it is official!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2004, 07:49:50 AM »

Yes DTM - I did see the LUCY tv-movie.  Rachel York was good and the I enjoyed most seeing some of the recreations of routines in COLOR!  And yes "Desi" was good.  

The play I am directing takes place on the night of the filming as Lucy reflects on her life - lots of highs and lows - and of course, what would the future be?  There was a lot of doubt in the industry that she could go on as a solo performer.

DRMBARNUM - weren't the Pontipee boys from Oregon?  It could be 7 Grooms for 7 Brothers!

Add these to MBARNUM's list and you will have mine:

THE UNDEAD, LIL ABNER, Carroll Baker's HARLOW, and SAINT JOAN w/Jean Seberg!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2004, 07:50:22 AM »

Gee DB - at least I included a translation... LOL

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2004, 07:54:36 AM »

I don't think it's Minnelli's direction that is wrong for CABIN IN THE SKY. I think it's the lush MGM production. They were the wrong studio to make the film. Warners probably would have done a grittier job.

That said, I kind of like it. I've had it on laserdisc for years and enjoy revisiting it from time to time. Lena Horne has said on numerous occasions that Ethel Waters disliked her intensely (she thought Ethel might have been jealous of her), and I've often wondered if Lena's wonderful song "Ain't It the Truth" was removed from the film due to pressure from Miss Waters. In THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT III, Lena blamed the censors of the time saying they thought it was too racy (no pun intended) to have a black girl take a sensual bubble bath, but the number is so sensational that I'm surprised MGM would want to delete it unless there was pressure from someone somewhere. Always been curious about this.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up