Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ANAGRAMS  (Read 30755 times)

Ben

Re:ANAGRAMS
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2004, 07:54:19 AM »

Ahh, success.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2004, 07:55:27 AM »

Thank you for all the DELICIOUS early morning (here in LA, anyway) birthday greetings, my dear HHW friends!

And thank you for the shameless plug for AMELIA, Jrand53. I love the opening of the film, if I do say so myself - and I just did. I had a very Bergman-esque image in mind - and the director (Yves Simoneau) actually did it!
Tell me, please, is the sound is good on your video of the film? I have only one copy of it and the sound is not great. I'm wondering if it's just my particular cassette or if it's a general problem.

DR Lulu - Diane made a wonderful Amelia E. She really looks like her, for one thing. And she did an excellent acting job. As did Bruce Dern as Putnam. She showed up for the opening, at the DGA, as I recall, dressed head to toe in white (white gloves, natch) and looked faboo.

Okay, to writing. I'll be checking in later. Thank you again, all you terrific people!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 07:57:46 AM by Panni »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2004, 08:09:30 AM »

Has Ms. Chenowith taken to missing performances on a regular basis or was this just a fluke?  I know that she had pre-arranged a week in May to do CANDIDE as a benefit for the NYPO, but I thought she was pretty good about not missing performances.  At the preview I saw, there was a note inserted in the Playbill® stating that she had injured her wrist at a previous performance but because she didn't want to disappoint the audience by staying out, she would be performing in a wrist brace.  She didn't have the brace though.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2004, 08:19:38 AM »

DR WEL -maybe it meant she was performing after having a "bracer."

Oh yes, DRLULU, I forgot to tell you....amazingly even given the age difference....Diane Keaton looked remarkable like Amelia Earhart, not that I remember her or anything, I will just say like the photos and films I have seen of Amelia.  If you are interested in the subject, it's great fun to watch!  Unfortunately it is selling at Amazon.com right now for over $90!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2004, 08:20:45 AM »

Happy Birthday, Panni.  Have you finished the screenplay about my family yet?  :)

Some time ago here on HHW I posted a fairly smutty anagram of one of BK's close personal friends.  I cannot for the life of me remember it this morning.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2004, 08:26:12 AM »

During my last couple of years of teaching, I was sent a video by some company that had sponsored a woman who was going to fly Amelia's route and try to make the voyage she failed to make in the same type of plane Amelia used. THroughout the tape were numerous clips of the real Amelia and a very good biography of her life.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2004, 08:42:17 AM »

I remember that, DR MATT H.  Did she make the trip?  I don't remember that part!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2004, 08:46:52 AM »

Here are a few anagrams of dear readers.  See if you can guess who they are:

Taught Ohm = Matt Hough

Akin Bummer = Mike Barnum

Has Hissy War = Swishy Sarah

A Snide = Danise

Le chap grouse = Charles Pogue

BTC = Tom Birkeland

KB = Bruce Kimmel

Limey = Emily

Dej = Jed

Sonja = Jason

Nan = Ann

Enaj = Jane

Red cuber = Der Brucer

Why wide soot = S. Woody White

Chile May Hanes = Michael Shayne (who will now ALWAYS be "Chile May Haynes" to me!!!)

« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 07:12:21 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2004, 08:50:10 AM »

I think I saw Chile May Hanes in one of the Abbott & Costello movies!

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2004, 08:59:14 AM »

OH, Maya, it was grand to see you post last night! We love your buddy Jenny...she is cute and funny and her posts are very entertaining!

Went to the silent films last night at the Elsinore Theater. Not quite as much fun as last month's showing, but still it was amusing.

The first film was Charlie Chaplin's THE FIREMAN. Not one of his best. In fact the audience, myself included, pretty much sat through the whole thing like so much fish. Fortunately the Ben Turpin movie was a little more amusing and the Laurel and Hardy film (Bacon Grabbers) was quite hilarious.

One of the most interesting things for me is to see these shots of Los Angeles from the teens and twenties. It would be fascinating to find out if the homes used in the filming are still around. Or to find out what streets were used in the filming and then see what that street looks like now (some of the streets used in a couple of the films were places that were mostly fields but that where some brand new homes were being built).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2004, 09:10:38 AM »

Love the anagrams - I knew you people would be aces at it.  Let's have more - do your own now.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2004, 09:12:53 AM »

Birthday Riddle: What famous actor/director's name is the very apt anagram: OLD WEST ACTION?

Can I really be the first responding to this?  It's Clint Eastwood, darlings.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2004, 09:14:15 AM »

[size=8][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Happy Birthday, Dear Reader Panni AKA Anna!!![/move][/size]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2004, 09:15:18 AM »

I think I saw Chile May Hanes in one of the Abbott & Costello movies!

Chile May Hanes...a great "stage" ;) name
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2004, 09:15:36 AM »

I just popped in to wish Panni a very

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  :) :)

Sorry I can't stay but I shall return later today.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2004, 09:19:11 AM »

How old a movie is "Miss Rose White," BK?

If dear old Maximilian looked anything in it like he does in "Deep Impact," he seems to be doing Omar Sharif impersonations.

But he's still quite distinguished, yes!??!

Happy boitday, Panni-cita!

Kerry

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2004, 09:25:35 AM »

Of course, Happpy Birthday to Panni.  I willl meet you in person sometime, I am sure.

I remember the Amelia Earhardt film and loved it because they (you) used the Dolores Del Rio/Cedric Gibbons house as a location.  I want that house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of locations, Michael, there are couple of books out comparing film locations-- what it looked like then, what it looks like now; where the locations are, etc.  You can STILL go visit the set of steps from "The Music Box"!

And I'm out of "Surfside 6" episodes :'( :P >:( ???
One of the last ones included the lovely Leslie Parrish!
Van Willliams looks wonderful in a suit, in a bathing suit, in a shirt, on the dirt, on a boat, with a goat.  Van's the man; he is, that Van!

You can tell who read Dr. Seuss to the kids yesterday.

And I got one of those messages from Bruce today that if I were paying attention I wouldn't have opened.  Luckily my virus catcher worked.

Bruce, dear Bruce, for the autographed books, can they be personalized?  Please?   Or at least one of the two that I ordered?  ANd please thank Guy Haines coming in at the last  minute to help you and the completely and amazing Grant Geissman on the CD's.

I like boat races.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2004, 09:27:20 AM »

Fans of Lolita, are you aware of the anagram of VIVIAN DARKBLOOM?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Kerry

« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2004, 09:31:08 AM »

And Ben,  I love you , but you're making me sick telling me how many shows you've got scheduled.  >:( :-[ You are a lucky man.

I've got a local production of "Bent" to see (in conjunction with a Holocaust exhibit) and "Say Goodnight, Gracie" coming up.  NOT that I'm complaining, but...... :'(
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2004, 09:32:35 AM »

Vivian Darkbloom = Vladimir Nabokov
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 09:33:29 AM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: March 04, 2004, 09:33:41 AM »

Vladimir Nobakov of course!  8)

Kerry

« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2004, 09:34:19 AM »

And a welcome back to Maya!  The ever lovely Jason is still alive but very busy (which I can understand completely) and sends his love to all of us.  Speaking of busy, I shold get myself out of here and do ALL the work I've been putting off.   A relaxing day off---NOT!    Thank gooodness that expression seeems to have gone by the wayside.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 09:34:45 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2004, 09:34:40 AM »

Where is MY copy of Surfside Six with Miss Leslie Parrish?

I normally don't personalize unless asked to do so, but I think I just will this time around.  I'll personalize them all, damn it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2004, 09:35:26 AM »

Grrrrrrrr...too slow!  LOL.

DRKERRY living next door the the Cedric Gibbons-Delores Del Rio house on Kingman Avenue in Santa Monica in 1941-1942 was Miss Frances Farmer.

DRJMK took some pictures of the Gibbons house....I bet he would post them...if we ask.  It's still stunning....with a JADE INSET in the gate!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2004, 09:35:43 AM »

Thank you, thank you again for more greetings!

And DRJay wins a virtual-hug from the birthday girl for correctly answering the birthday riddle.

BTW- Re MISS ROSE WHITE - Like LOTR (well, not EXACTLY like it) Rosie swept the Emmy Awards in its year - can't remember how many, but lots, incl, best movie, director, supporting actress, etc. etc. The only major category which did not win was...DRUMROLL...Writer. I was a sad puppy because as the evening progressed it seemed like a sure thing. We all know about sure things. The upside was that also losing in my category that year were Robert Bolt and Neil Simon. Bob, Doc and I went to a nearby pub and drowned our sorrows. (That's not true, but it makes for a nice ending to the story.)
Back to writing.

Kerry

« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2004, 09:36:49 AM »

Bruce, I ONLY asked for one measly copy to be personalized.   I didn't mean to start a trend or a riot or something like the end of "Day of the Locust."
I like boat races.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2004, 09:39:47 AM »

Happy Birthday to DR Panni!

And welcome back to DR Maya!

As for last night's American Idol:

I was very happy that John/red-head got the most votes.

I was happy with some of the wild cards (I really liked #2 and 5):
1: George Huff  
2: John Peter
3: Matt Metzger
4: Marque Lynche
5: Eric Yoder
6: Katie Webber
7: Suzy Vulaca
8: Lisa Lesuchner
9: Elizabeth Letendre
10: Jennifer HUdson
11: Leah Labelle
12: Tiara P.

But was anyone else confused why they didn't bring back anyone not in the final 32????

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2004, 09:40:58 AM »

More DR anagrams:

Leon = Noel

Ronin and Toto = Dan-in-Toronto

Man Brand Morlock = Arnold M. Brockman

All Wire Milieu = William E. Lurie

35 Jr Dan = Jrand53

(I know, some are stupid.  But hey!)
« Last Edit: March 04, 2004, 07:15:02 PM by RLP »

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #58 on: March 04, 2004, 09:45:36 AM »

Yes, I spoke too hastily re: Diane Keaton as Amelia Earhart.  I misunderstood Jrand's post and thought he was writing about a movie that was "coming soon" as opposed to "already made and shown 10 years ago."  Obviously the age difference isn't a big deal between 40 and 48 as it is between 40 and 58.  And I'll say it again, I adore Diane Keaton and thought people were mean for making fun of the way she dressed for the Oscars.  "Does she still think it's 1977?"  No, that's her personal style; she didn't follow the trend, she SET the trend and it's an expression of who she is that hasn't changed with the years.  So there.

There are so many many talented people here - professional writers and performers, and now there are even lots of young and gorgeous female-type persons here, I must say I'm sometimes awfully jealous and long for the good ol' days when Lulu was popular and beloved.

But just for a little while, as all of these talented and accomplished and young and gorgeous people are also very, very nice and, dare I say it, scintillating conversationalists (in an abstract, virtual kinda way).
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: March 04, 2004, 09:49:37 AM »

No, I like personalizing books - some collectors, however, are adament that they only want the signature.  I always have books personalized to me.  But let's have a stampede ala Day of the Locust anyway.  Day of the Locust anagrammed: O Chest Lady Tofu
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up