Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MADCAP HERRING  (Read 23761 times)

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
Re:THE MADCAP HERRING
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2004, 08:42:13 AM »

Well, Dear Readers, today I found out that my aunt (to whom I am very close...I just visited them at Christmas, and even lived with my aunt and uncle for a couple of years in my late teens) has ovarian cancer.

This comes on top of a couple of other recent, extremely negative, developments in my life.  So basically, this post is nothing but a shameless plea for good vibes, well wishes, whatever you have to give to me at this time because I am feeling really, really, really low and just generally not at all happy with this thing called life.

Just want to add that I hope, as everyone else has already mentioned, that Gabe quickly recovers from his accident of yesterday.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2004, 08:50:24 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]EXCELLENT VIBES TO LULU[/move]

(who brings so much to this site)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 08:51:00 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2004, 08:51:09 AM »

I am looking forward to EXPRESSO BONGO now its way to me.  A couple of people write at epinions.com that in the original version, Laurence Harvey's character had three songs that are not included.

Mr BK you mentioned yesterday that you liked the movie, do you know if this is the case - are some songs missing?  I know the movie was based on a musical or musical play, so maybe Harvey's character sang the songs in the stage version and they weren't used in the film....  I have NEVER seen either version, but certainly look forward to Harvey's performance and that of favorite CLIFF RICHARD as Bongo Herbert!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2004, 08:59:20 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]JJJJJJJJ[/move]

On their way DRLULU!!!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2004, 09:02:40 AM »

Lulu, let me reciprocate the vibes I received yesterday:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2004, 09:03:47 AM »

If I remember correctly, several songs from the play are dropped in favor of new ones for Mr. Richard, but I can't swear to that.  It does have a few numbers and they're very good.

Pogue: The Likely Stories show was a great mad place to be.  That show served as the directorial debuts of Danny de Vito and Rob Reiner.  In fact, David Wechter and myself were the only ones who had done movies and directed before.  My "thing" on the show became these little "coming attraction" things and I loved doing them.  In addition to the Bond parody (which I only wrote), I wrote and directed the Barry thing, an "adult" soap opera parody called The Lays of Our Lives (which featured Gerritt Graham, Deborah Lee Scott, and Timothy Carey as a gynocologist!), a film parody of Tess (with Miss Scott and Mr. Graham), a "young comics" night at the Improv, featuring a six-year-old, Elephant! a "Broadway on Cable" version of The Elephant Man (YEARS before The Tall Guy) and my favorite of them all, a Leone parody called A Fistful of Boots, with me as Clint, and Timothy Carey as the bad guy.  Unfortunately, they ran out of time and money on the latter and it was never aired.  I have it on Betamax and should have it transfered to DVD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2004, 09:05:09 AM »

And for Lulu, the best Hainsies/Kimlets vibes and xylophones, which I am here to tell you are potent.  

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2004, 09:05:15 AM »

Work CD:
The new Jamie de Roy and Friends (Volume 5). All the songs are about animals. Paige Price does Little Lamb, Emily Skinner sings The Puppy Song, a group called Zaz does When the Red, Red Robin Comes Bob, Bob Bobbin' Along

So, I DO know Zaz: Lynne, David & Maryanne.  Good for them for getting on an album.

Good vibes, Lulu.  I've never attempt this before...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2004, 09:13:31 AM »

Thanks for the BONGO INFO, MR BK.

And yes you must have those productions transferred to DVD.  Did that series ever have a singing Pirate segment?  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2004, 09:17:53 AM »

No singing pirate that I recall.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2004, 09:26:24 AM »

DR LULU - The best of GOOD VIBES to you!
And although this may seem empty and fatuous to you right now when you're feeling low, let me tell you -- speaking as someone who's been to the lowest of low places -- it DOES get better. It can even get great again. Hang in there. You have friends at HHW who care about you and send splendiferous and potent vibes your way. I suppose right about now I could burst into a chorus of.... The sun will come out Tooooo-mor-row...
But I won't. And it will.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 09:29:57 AM by Panni »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2004, 09:38:11 AM »

Thanks MR BK - once again I have confused my television programming.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2004, 09:41:04 AM »

Some of you who are fans of 50s sci-fi, tell me your impressions of IT! THE TERROR FROM BEYOND SPACE. I'm not sure I've ever seen it, but with all the reviews I've read saying it's a precursor to ALIEN and given my love of things like THEM and TARANTULA, I felt I had to buy a used copy of it ($8).

Impressions anyone?
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2004, 09:56:50 AM »

It is a lot of fun.  Not brilliant, but fun.

I've just put up a longer version of my School of Rock thoughts over at The DVD Place (http://dvds.allaccessworld.com).  I do wish more of you who love DVDs and films and TV would mosey on over there and start threads and post to existing threads.  It's the only way we'll be popular with the populace.

Ben

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2004, 10:04:53 AM »

To our lovely Lulu

~~~~~~~~~~~~Best possible vibes~~~~~~~~~

repeated a hundred times

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2004, 10:13:28 AM »

Best thoughts to Gabe and Lulu and the people in their lives.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2004, 10:18:08 AM »

Impressions anyone?

"I got a million of 'em! Hah-cha-cha-cha!"

"Coochy-coochy!"

"Here's lookin' at you, kid."

"Damn you!  Damn you all to hell!"
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 10:19:27 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2004, 10:18:13 AM »

Interesting that Ginger replaced Judy in HARLOW; she did the same thing in BARKLEYS OF BROADWAY.

Hugh Jackman will be back as Tony host this year, which means BOY FROM OZ will get a song even if it is not nominated as "Best Musical".

Why I hate the Musician's Union:  When Jerome Robbins's sister's death delayed the opening of the FIDDLER Revisal by an hour the musicians demanded an hour's overtime!  The producers claim they won't pay it.  It will be interesting to see how this turns out.  At least the Stagehands Union refused to go along with this.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Panni

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2004, 10:25:33 AM »

DRJAY - Just read a very positive review in the LA Times of a movie which sounds right up your esoteric alley: DOWN WITH LOVE, a Hungarian film - basically a one character tour de force. Sounds extremely interesting. If you see it, please post a full report.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2004, 10:32:18 AM »

DRJAY - Just read a very positive review in the LA Times of a movie which sounds right up your esoteric alley: DOWN WITH LOVE, a Hungarian film - basically a one character tour de force. Sounds extremely interesting. If you see it, please post a full report.

Thanks for the tip, DR P/A.  I saw that the review was in today's paper, but I have not yet read it.

By the way (BTW in internet lingo), I do believe you mean Down By Love.  Down With Love was the fekachteh Rock Hudson/Doris Day parody (or was it supposed to be an hommage?) with Renee Zellwegger and Ewan McGregor that ran earlier last year that should have been nominated for best costume, best production design and best set decoration awards at the Oscars but was not.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 10:46:54 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

JMK

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2004, 10:33:01 AM »

Re:  coochy coochy.  One of the most unintentionally hilarious things I ever saw on Merv Griffin (who was a master of the unintentionally hilarious) was one day when he insisted that Sergio Mendes & Brasil '77 perform a song with Charo.  This was at the height of Sergio's "I am now an important and deadly serious jazz artist" phase (shortly after the release of his way ahead of its time collection of Afro-Brasilian and Ioruba chants "Primal Roots").  Charo sat on a stool and strummed one chord repeatedly on a guitar (even as whatever song they were doing--which thankfully has been permanently blocked from my memory--kept changing chords) as Sergio and company looked extremely pained and hostile.  It was a moment.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2004, 10:33:27 AM »

Does anything change when I reach 200 posts?  Let's see, shall we?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2004, 10:42:41 AM »

DR MATTH - click here to read my Epinion of IT! THE TERROR BEYOND SPACE!

http://www.epinions.com/content_41611267716

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2004, 10:46:33 AM »

MBarnum, if you're thinking about ordering Kritzerland from this here site, I'd do so.  I'm down to my last three copies.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2004, 10:49:32 AM »

Many good and happy healing vibes to JMK's Gabe and to DR Lulu!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]:)   :D   ;D   8)    ::)    :D   :D   ;D   :D   :)  [/move]

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2004, 10:55:47 AM »

What?

Not ONE COMMENT AT ALL about last night's Celebrity Survivor "surprise"?

Sue Hawk accusing Richard Hatch of "sexually violating" her during a competition!!!

Richard was voted off last week and Sue (tough, gruff trucker Sue) went into hysterics when Jeff Probst tried to suss out what had happened.

Sue left, much to the joy of pained, but relieved teammates.

Wow!  And according to Ruben, Sue had said, "I'm going to sue that ____ for $10 million!"

I'm thinking she didn't feel so much violated as she felt disrespected by Richard whom she believes "She" handed the million-dollar prize in the first "Survivor."

Naked Richard had, apparently, been avoiding other players but got "in your face" with Sue and rubbed against her.

It took a day or so, but the more she thought about it the madder and more distraught she became.

Hell....I would have thrown a hissy fit right then and there if it had been me Richard rubbed against!

(Not making light of it...just stating fact).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

MBarnum

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2004, 10:57:59 AM »

Ack! The Broadway tour of Chicago begins next week and so I am scrambling around to get tickets for myself and George!!! I had seen ads for it on TV for months but I didn't know until today that it starred Mr. Tom Wopat!!! So now I want to go!! Wish me luck!

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2004, 11:07:58 AM »

Re: Survivor

I had a feeling that Sue was going to walk off the show when I saw it was 8:35pm and they had not done the reward challenge.  I had heard rumors a while back that another Survivor (other than Jenna M) would walk out. So it made sense.

Both Sue Hawk and Richard Hatch were on the Early Show today (together).  She seemed to have calmed down a lot.  They were able to sit beside each other nicely.

Apparently when Richard tells the story, his tribe told him to undress for that challenge to distract the opposing team.  And when he saw Sue coming towards him during that challenge, he couldn't understand why she chose to take the pole he was on.  Since Kathy was behind them, I don't think he thought he had any choice, but to pass Sue. He even said he was like, "why is sue coming towards me?"  He was sort of upset with her.

Sue said that she is not suing over this.

She also said that Jeff (Probst) told her team that they had to go down the pole Richard was on (Richard didn't know this at the time).

Emily

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2004, 11:17:04 AM »

Good afternoon hainsies and kimlets!

It's raining here in a pretty steady downpour.  The only problem is that it's also just a few degrees above freezing, so the rain is mighty cold.

I found out a couple of weeks that the head-honchos at the place where I work have given the most recently hired office assistant her notice due to her overall bad attitude and lack of useful skills.  They have told her that it is because the organization can't afford her - which is a complete and utter lie.  Now the woman is trying to negotiate a method where she comes in fewer hours whereby we might be able to continue to work with her and save money.  It's pretty desperate and is generally not fun. :(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Good vibes to Gabe!!!  JMK, I think it's time to rent all the best and baddest movies around a feed the kid ice cream until he can no longer move (not to mention have any notice of his injury).  When in doubt, turn to sugar and sedentary couch potato-ing.  ;)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

More vibes to Lulu.  After working at a support community for people living with cancer the advice I can give you is this: the most important thing is to be there for your aunt when she wants you to be and not there when she doesn't.  Make sure she gets out and about when she feels up to it because isolation, which sadly often comes with illness, is the worst possible treatment.  

I'm off to class and then to the McGill Savoy Society's 40th Anniversary Presentation of Pirates of Penzance!  Woohoo, Yippee!  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Panni

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2004, 11:19:30 AM »

Yes, DR Jay, the title is Down BY Love. And what the hell does that mean? These Hungarians and their fractured English!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up