Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE MADCAP HERRING  (Read 23793 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE MADCAP HERRING
« on: March 05, 2004, 12:02:50 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've understood their deep philosophical meaning, especially the part about the schism and the chasm.  "The Schism and The Chasm" - wasn't that a film starring Charlton Heston and Rex Harrison?  Let's have loads of lovely Friday postings, shall we?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2004, 12:07:57 AM by bk »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re:THE MADCAP HERRING
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2004, 12:31:40 AM »

I just finished watching Star Trek II: The Wrath of Kahn, which I realize isn't a new film, but I'm fond of it.  I had the printed commentary by Michael Okuda turned on, which was fun.  Der Brucer and I got the six original films in their "collector's edition" versions, boxed set, so I'll be happily Okuda-ing for a little while.

Buster and Bonnie are happily asleep on my bed, having played and played all day and into the night.  Except for the occasional chewed shoe or pillow, they're a good pair of dogs.

Time for a late-nite snack.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2004, 12:53:35 AM »

Well, unbeknownst to me, none other than Mr. Bruce Kimmel was on my VCR tonight.  The lovely wife and I decided to revisit some old tapes of SCTV that I had tape years ago when I had a satellite system called ON tv.  The quality was wretched as even with this so-called system I still had ghosts and shadows, but  the content was, as always, hilarious( SCTV should be ripe for complete season DVDs).  But right in between episodes some strange show came on with a JAMES BOND parody opening to a John Barry/Bond pastiche song called HEARTBREAKER very funny, then a cast scroll started and we saw the name Bruce Kimmel.  It turns out this was something called 4 Likely Stories...skits and vignettes and parodies...a funny one with Howard Hesseman as a shlock-meister director of grade-D drive-in movies getting a serious retrospective from French television...And there was also a promo for the BARRY! concert -- a take-off on Barry Manilow called Barry! The Coming Out Concert.  And who should be playing Mr. Manilow in a blonde curly wig and powder blue tux, but our own Mr. Kimmel.  Very funny.  And though I believe Mr. Guy Haines may have dubbed Mr. Kimmel's singing voice, Mr. Kimmel wrote all the hilarious spoof songs (maybe even the entire spoof promo) with titles like AT THE RAMROD.  At the end credit scrawl, I also noticed that Mr. Kimmel also wrote the wonderful Bond/Barry song at the opening of the show.  We laughed and were impressed.

On the DVD will probably either be the Burton/Gielgud Hamlet (the famous Electronovision!...will only be showed once!) which I have seen before and remember as being one of the best Hamlets I have ever seen for clarity of verse-speaking.  Or I might opt for the Olivier version of a Long Day's Journey Into Night.

Does anyone remember William Redfield's wonderful journal (as a series of letters) about being in the Burton/Gielgud Hamlet, LETTERS TO AN ACTOR? One of the best show biz books about the acting process/acting profession ever...and lots of raconteurish tales as well.

Michael

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2004, 03:52:32 AM »

DVD Watching: Select episodes from the first four seasons of Babylon 5

And I wanted to share this with all you wonderful dear readers. I received an email today from someone from Argentina who came across my Bruce Kimmel tribute site at www.brucekimmel.com and wanted to get in touch with Bruce. I directed him to this site and put him in contact with Bruce. So keep all that wonderful karma (I really believe in this) spewing forth from you because you never know who you might touch and all that good Karma might come back to you as well.
Never stop dreaming.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2004, 04:03:07 AM »

Dear BK,  I too loved SCHOOL OF ROCK, and I want to put a plug in here for those amazingly talented children who actually played their own instruments.  The pianist and guitarist are really excellent, and I think this reality shows real awareness from the production team.  I could get on my soapbox, too, and yell about the decline of overall musical education in schools but that might lead to a discussion of more political anger, like no funding in education for the arts with lots of money going to sports, so I'll stop there.  

A confession:  I didn't post yesterday since I stink at anagrams and spent most of the day trying to decipher Eva Marie Saint.  I prefer Benjamin Kritzer's freeform connect-the-dots (a hint).  And I can transpose to any key at the tickle of an ivory, but I cannot control the letters in an anagram.  There are 13 letters in her name, but I kept coming up with words totalling 15 letters.  So, any day you force an anagram on me, I'm calling in sick.

In the DVD:  Connie Francis and WHERE THE BOYS ARE
CD:  Classical today:  Dvorak piano quiintets, Borodin string quartets (the source for KISMET's "And This Is My Beloved" and "Baubles Bangles And Beads"), Schubert's "Trout Quintet" and Saint-Saens" "Carnival of the Animals" and other chamber music.
VCR:  Nothing this weekend.  I have a show to finish.

DR Charles Pogue,  LETTERS FROM AN ACTOR was in print (and may still be) all during the 80s when I worked at Drama Book Shop.  I read it right after it was published and still think it an amazing book.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 04:46:51 AM »

Happy Friday!  So many lovely night time posts to read!

Feel better GABE!  Good positive vibes to Rachel so that she can set the wheel spinning!

JMK I love that picture of the Gibbons house!

DRelmoore3003 - I hope you enjoy the commentary on WHERE THE BOYS ARE by Paula Prentiss as much as I did.  It is just the kind of commentary I love....someone or ones involved in the film sit and talk while they watch it....

DVD Player - Hammer Double Feature "The 4-Sided Triangle" and "X the Unknown" - both interesting, 1950's British sci-fi - if only the men weren't so - homely.  

CD Player - Babalu Music, Musical Moments from "I Love Lucy"......'Waters of the Minnetonka'...."Co-ome he-re...."
"Ahhh-ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.....uh-uh!"

VCR - Lucy & Desi: A Home Movie!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2004, 04:50:34 AM »

Oh! Electronovision - was the Carol Lynley version of HARLOW ever released in any home media format?

I am saving our Allison Hayes picture of the week for tomorrow, March 6, which would have been her 74th birthday!!  ;D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 04:54:53 AM by JRand53 »

Ben

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2004, 05:00:41 AM »

Work CD:
The new Jamie de Roy and Friends (Volume 5). All the songs are about animals. Paige Price does Little Lamb, Emily Skinner sings The Puppy Song, a group called Zaz does When the Red, Red Robin Comes Bob, Bob Bobbin' Along (a Benjamin Kritzer reference), Kerry Butler does Lion Tamer and so on. I like it a lot.

Dionne Warwick sings the Bacharach & David Songbook

OBC of Follies

OBC of Mack and Mabel

We are in the midst of some small home improvement projects (and I've been in a previously mentioned theatre-going frenzy) so we don't have much in the VCR. Two's Company was not on this week and it won't be on for another 3 weeks since Channel 21 in Long Island is in the midst of a 4 week fundraiser. We do have Angels in America to watch but otherwise, it's slim pickens for the video unless we rent something or go to the library and borrow something.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2004, 05:11:40 AM »

DR BEN - if it's Slim Pickens, I suggest BLAZING SADDLES (Somebody's gonna have to go back for a shit load of nickels!) or DR STRANGELOVE (I told you guys to quit messin' around on the radio).

Ben

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2004, 05:22:12 AM »

JRand, LOL. I won't even go back and correct the misspelling. I didn't notice it until you mentioned it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2004, 05:23:15 AM »

I am up at this ungodly hour because Gabe started crying at 3:30 a.m., and for some reason if I am awakened between 3 and 4 in the morning, I cannot get back to sleep.  Is that genetic?  Let's say it is.

Here's a kind of funny photo I got in the mail yesterday.  Read the caption for insight into the genesis of American method acting.  Why didn't they do exercises like that when I was studying acting?   ::)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ben

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2004, 05:23:32 AM »

Jose, it's 8:22am! What are you doing up at this hour??? Oh, that's right, you have to go play at auditions. Hope it's not too many versions of (insert tired old audition song here).

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2004, 05:26:16 AM »

Good Morning!

Slept well last night - I was more wiped out after yesterday's auditions than I thought I was, I guess.  *I also think the down-filled duvet/comforters had something to do with that.  :)

Media Check:  Hmmm... Children of Eden OCR - And I also found out yesterday that I'll be heading up to NYC next Thursday for rehearsals!   ;D

OK - I'm rushing since I need to start getting ready for the 240-ish auditions today...

See you at dinner!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2004, 05:27:46 AM »

Jose, it's 8:22am! What are you doing up at this hour??? Oh, that's right, you have to go play at auditions. Hope it's not too many versions of (insert tired old audition song here).

BINGO!  (See above post.)

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2004, 05:52:19 AM »

VHS:  This week's Enterprise season finale, which is another goldurn cliff-hanger, but it pretty much telegraphed how it will be resolved, since the humanoid Xindi are ready to break with the reptilian Xindi on major destroy-the-human-race-before-they-destroy-us issues.  

This, of course, is due to Captain Archer's pursuasive diplomacy.  "With so little to be sure of," he sang, "come on and play wiz me.  Simple as A B C."  The humanoid Xindi are in Group A, and the reptilians in Group One.

CD Player:  Betty Hutton, Satins and Spurs.  I saw it at Borders and I just had to have it.  I mean, it lifts and separates.

DR Elmore:  I will take pity on you.

EVA MARIE SAINT =

MEATIER AVIANS
MARINES AVIATE
VARIATE INSEAM
ANIMATE VARIES
ANEMIA VERITAS
ANAEMIA RIVETS
A VANITIES MARE
REANIMATE VISA
VISIT MEAN AREA
TRIM AVIAN ASEA
RAVE MANIA SITE
SAME VINE TIARA
VAIN TEARS, AMIE!
ARISE, VAIN MEAT!
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2004, 05:54:07 AM »

Zaz?  Who's in this Zaz?  I may know some of 'em.

Welcome back to the Talk Zone (that's an anagram).

Early in the posting day, but it seems like names keep getting dropped of theatres where my shows premiered.  The Christmas Bride played at The William Redfield Theatre.  The theatre still exists but has been renamed for somebody less famous (!).  All I can say is, They Couldn't Compare To You, Bill.  Area 51 was at The Sanford Meisner Theatre, across from Chelsea Piers, which had absolutely nothing to do with Sanford Meisner.  I just heard that Tony Lizzul, the chatty fellow who ran the place, died this week.  I'll never forget his confidence that an audience member in a wheelchair could be lifted up the stairs.  Tony was a thin fellow . . . did he think he could enlist the cast?

CDs: Hey Love (the revue of songs by Mary Rodgers), some Big Band era compilation, and James Naughton - an actor who can be heard saying the word "erections" on TV.  (Yes, that kind.)
DVD: Saturday Night Fever
VCR: A Thousand Clowns (my favorite play, filmed with much of the Broadway cast)

Jose, if you play Cy Coleman's When In Rome (I Do as the Romans Do), tell me how it goes.  (I coached it.)
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2004, 05:57:02 AM »

What IS Sanford Meisner doing with his right hand?

Ben

« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2004, 06:02:19 AM »

Zaz members are (as listed in the CD booklet)

Vocalists: David Arthur Bachrach, Maryanne Murray, Lynn Wilson, Mark Wolff

Piano: Rod Housen; Bass: Maryanne McSweeney
Arrangement: Elise Bretton; Drums/Percussion: Rex Benincasa; Electric Guitar: Kevin Kuhn; Saxophone: Dave DePalma; Violin: Bob Mastro

JMK

« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2004, 06:04:11 AM »

Evidently a Justin Timberlake, if you catch my drift.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2004, 06:25:57 AM »

LOL....call the FCC!

DRBEN I almost forgot THE COWBOYS!  ::)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 06:50:40 AM by JRand53 »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2004, 06:30:03 AM »

CD - Julie Wilson (& Friends) in London - a collection of recordings from the early 50s that are now Public Domain in England

DVD - Some of the newly released MGM classics like Great Ziegfeld, Grand Hotel, Goodbye Mr. Chips & two versions of Gaslight (this was brought to you by the letter G).

VHS - Nothing at the moment

Cassette - I've just started listening to the set of 40 Jack Benny Programs.  The first episode was the first show he ever hosted in 1932.  Practically none of the Benny characteristics were in place yet.  Of interest to readers of this here site is that the female singer was Ethel Shuttea (not sure of spelling), later the original "Broadway Baby" in FOLLIES.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2004, 07:09:09 AM »

DR Elmore3003 - in going over the many days of posts I missed while on the road, I savored your your kind praise of my book! Thanks for reading it. Nuthin' a writer enjoys more than to have some appreciative someone actually spend the time and read the book!

So, gang, thanks to BK's injudicious mention of it, I wend my way westward, thinking only of a frozen U-No Bar. Oy. Have a swell day, catch ya when I can. p
PennyO

MBarnum

« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2004, 07:23:35 AM »

Happy Good morning to everyone!  :D

VCR: FLOWING GOLD starring Pat O'Brien (who I always enjoy), John Garfield and some chick called Frances Farmer, whoever that is.

Also taped a couple of Jean Harlow movies and one Clara Bow movie which I will try to watch this weekend.

CD: Nothing much but some more of those Bollywood CDs. I have just 2 left that I have not listened to, out of the 30 that I won on Ebay.

DVD: Rented THE GURU last night at DR JRand's suggestion and will likely try to watch that this evening!

This afternoon will be going to the movies with my buddy Mark to see STARSKY AND HUTCH. The reviews I have read are positive so I am expecting it should be lots of fun!

JMK

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2004, 07:37:55 AM »

Directed by BK oft-mentioned Alfred E. Green!  FF's most frequent director (I don't think she ever chased him around the set with a flyswatter, which may have something to do with it).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2004, 07:58:37 AM »

LOL JMK...yes MBARNUM you will enjoy FG with FF...  And I think you will really like THE GURU.  Report please at the end of viewing.

I agree DRPENNYO - I am now thinking of the U-NO ice cream bar and wondering if anyone ever ate a U-NO while playing a game of Uno?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2004, 08:01:32 AM »

DR MBarnum, our local reviewer called STARSKY AND HUTCH the best gay comedy "never" made. Can't wait to read your opinion of it.

I'm going tonight to Gay Bingo. Done once a month as a fund raiser for RAIN (Regional AIDS Interfaith Network), it brings out hundreds of people for a hilarious evening and a very worthwhile cause. Looking forward to it. Tonight's theme: Fairy-Tale Bingo.

ELECTRONOVISION! Hadn't thought about it in years, but to my knowledge, the only three productions were HAMLET, HARLOW (Carol Lynley version), and STOP THE WORLD I WANT TO GET OFF. Were there any others?

STOP THE WORLD was issued on home video, but I've only run across HARLOW once many years ago on some local station chopped up and unwatchable. I never saw it for sale, but that doesn't mean it wasn't. According to Leonard Maltin's book, HARLOW has not been released on home video.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 08:26:01 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2004, 08:04:01 AM »

Media Check:

CD - ERNEST IN LOVE (OCR)

laserdisc - NELL (the DVD is coming out soon, and I wanted to see if I liked it enough to re-purchase)

DVD - ANGEL - Season 1 (disc 4) followed by THE DAMNED.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2004, 08:20:05 AM »

In case you missed my heartfelt thank you's posted late last night, DRs... Thank you, thank you, thank you (that's THREE thank you's)  for all the lovely birthday greetings! If you care to look, a more detailed thank you is posted late yesterday. Otherwise, I hope this will do. And have I mentioned?...Thank you!

FS Pogue - Yes, William Redfield's book is one THE best. I saw the Burton Hamlet at the O'Keefe Center in Toronto when it first opened. Went with my mother and sat way in the back of the balcony -- but it was still thrilling. Saw John Gielgud sitting in the lobby at intermission and la Liz was in the audience.
As you like this sort of thing, if it's of interest, I could lend you EVERY INCH A LEAR, which is a rehearsal journal of the 1979 Stratford production of Lear, starring Peter Ustinov. It's written by Maurice Good, an Irish actor with whom I worked at the Shaw Festival in Caesar and Cleopatra.
A side note: I made (and won) a somewhat juvenile and wholly unprofessional bet regarding something I would do to Mr. Good during a performance. He was playing Apollodorus and I was either Charmian or Iras, can't recall (I alternated the roles). In one scene I was lounging beside him in my diaphanous gown as he lay on some sort of Roman chaise in his shortie tunic. Now I have to add that we'd been running and touring  for a long time and we (the company, that is) were bored out of our minds.  One of the actors bet me that I wouldn't have the guts to reach under Maurice's tunic - I'm talking right under, folks, if you get the picture - as he was mid-speech in a rather complex dialogue scene with Caesar. The second part of the bet was whether he would or would not lose a beat in his dialogue. Well, natch, I reached under (he and his wife and I were friends, so it was fine, just fine to do such a scandalous thing) ...and Mr. Good, the ultimate pro, did not miss a beat. Although the look he gave me was priceless. I was a bad girl back then. Now I'm good. Very very good. Almost angelic. Really.

« Last Edit: March 05, 2004, 08:31:49 AM by Panni »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2004, 08:26:41 AM »

JMK - Hope Gabe is doing well today.
More good vibes his way.

And Rachel thanks you all, DRs, for the Wheel of Fortune vibes sent her way.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2004, 08:39:10 AM »

Yes DRPANNI, sometimes the audience doesn't even know it is missing the BEST show!

Thanks for the Electronovision info, MATTH - and that was my general knowledge as well.  Now and then a VHS copy shows up on EBAY, but I think it is taped from television and bidding gets very steep!   ;D  Have fun at BINGO!

Of course, Judy Garland was originally cast as Jean's mother opposite Carol Lynley, but dropped out - and Ginger Rogers was afforded her final feature film role!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up