Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE PERIOD THAT WENT AWRY  (Read 24506 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:THE PERIOD THAT WENT AWRY
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2004, 02:03:17 PM »

It is.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2004, 02:03:39 PM »

Yes, the posts have gone awry!

MBarnum

« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2004, 02:04:08 PM »

Oh, it is ok on this page! LOL!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2004, 02:04:12 PM »

Yes, the posts have gone awry!

Better than apumpernickle!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 02:04:44 PM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2004, 02:05:59 PM »

See what happens when you deign to correct me?  The world tilts on its HHW axis (hopefully not an axis of evil).  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2004, 02:08:52 PM »

If Miyoshi Umeki didn't win an Emmy of a Golden Globe for Courtship of Eddie's Father she should have!

Evidently she is now resides somewhere in Hawaii as Mrs. Winnifield Opie...but no one can seem to find her! Keeping a very low profile evidently.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2004, 02:09:10 PM »

On DWJoy's computer, well, she recently installed a new version of AOL, and, as a result, no longer has any connection to any websites.

Usually, when you install a new version of AOL, the files are place in a new directory in your Program Files folder. You need to find the old AOL Folder (Probably America On Line 8.0), locate the AOL.exe file and launch it (double click the icon). This should put you into the screen for the old AOL. Open Favorite Places and select the Save/Replace option at the bottom left. Opt to save the file to someplace you can find it later. Then, go back and launch your new AOL. Open the Favorites and again selet the Save/Replace option - now replace with the file you previously saved.

When you are totally confused and frustrated, IM me, tell me how far you got, and I'll step you through it.

der StillTechoGeek Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JMK

« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2004, 02:12:34 PM »

DerBrucer:  AOL 9.0 is full of glitches.  I cannot get Easy Designer (their HTML editor) to load "in" AOL, but if I have AOL running, and boot IE and log onto AOL.com, then get to the Easy Designer page, it boots from there.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2004, 02:13:24 PM »

I started to post, but can't. See you later.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2004, 02:16:17 PM »

DR Panni,

I'm catching up on posts - and would like to know about the mystery anthology. The title? And is it still in print? Thanks.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2004, 02:16:59 PM »

I've "refreshed" my browser several times...

Strange  tastes, but whatever....

I know in 1776 Jefferson was eagar to get home and "Refresh the Missus".

And I know farmers often set their bulls to refresh the cows.

But how does one "refresh the browser? In my experience it is usually the browser that screws you.

der Even More TechnoGeeky Brucer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: March 07, 2004, 02:17:57 PM »

Correct me if I am wrong but the male gender at least to my knowledge has never had a period that went awry.

Oh, but I can assure you that there have loads of teenage boys who have fretted when a period went awry.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DERBRUCER

« Reply #102 on: March 07, 2004, 02:23:31 PM »

DerBrucer:  AOL 9.0 is full of glitches.  

The most egregious of all was their removal from the intallation instructions of the option to copy/move your personal data from the old version to the new.

Gates may have jumped the shark on this release.

However, the resurrection of Favorite Places works - recovering your old Personal Filing cabinet can also be a thrill and a half!

The Save/Replace favorite places gadget is also invaluable when installing a second copy of AOL on another computer.

G-d forbid they should make Favorite places Iternet transportable like the Address Book.

Oh well, good excuses for AOL 10.

der Brucer (who must now hunt for SWW's sholder in a cast pic which might show Gabe things could be worse!)

JMK

« Reply #103 on: March 07, 2004, 02:25:15 PM »

I am having a fun email war with an idiot eBay buyer who had the audacity to send me a "question for seller" implying I was being dishonest in my description of a DVD as near mint.  This, with my feedback at 712 positives (no negatives) and hers at 24 with several negatives.  She is now emailing from two different yahoo addresses and threatening me.  It's rather fun to toy with people like these.  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Maybe subscribe her to the FA listserve?  She'll NEVER get rid of that one!!  LOL.

Tomovoz

« Reply #104 on: March 07, 2004, 02:28:27 PM »

Today's and yesterday's notes - the term period is not used for "full stop" as a punctuation mark in the UK or here or in the land of the hobbits. We do of course sometimes have problems with our colons though - sometimes it is only half a problem. Was it (is it) in the USA that the salutory opening for correspondence is followed by a colon and not a comma?
At least it's a post.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2004, 02:34:07 PM »

Jrand53,

I've an extra Take Me Out playbill. Let me know it you'd like it.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 02:35:19 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

William E. Lurie

« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2004, 02:39:24 PM »

Miyoshi may have never won an Emmy, but she did win an Oscar® for "Sayanora".  When they had a reunion of all living acting Oscar® winners three or four years ago, she was the only one who couldn't be located.

Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JMK

« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2004, 02:39:38 PM »

Yes, Tom, in the US a colon (or comma) is acceptable in the salutation.  I once got an "guaranteed A for the quarter" from a college professor during the first week of the quarter after I submitted a "pop essay" (she gave us a topic and we had to write it in class that day) and she returned it with the large congratulations:  "Oh my G--, a correct use of a semi-colon!  First time in my teaching career!"

Tomovoz

« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2004, 02:40:08 PM »

Thanks Dan. I tried the licence plate site. Commented, and by that time you had removed your post so I removed mine. This could go on for ever!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2004, 02:42:39 PM »

TCB are you getting your male mail. Had you confused with Canada there for a moment.
James Thurber 1957

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2004, 02:45:37 PM »

Thanks Dan. I tried the licence plate site. Commented, and by that time you had removed your post so I removed mine. This could go on for ever!

What licence/license plate site?

Kidding!

Right after I posted it I tried it, and it didn't work. So I axed it. But I'll try again.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2004, 02:49:03 PM »

Page three is fixed.  It was one of those weird glitches where it took two posts that occured at exactly the same time, and melded them, oh, yes, it melded them.  I have deleted those two posts (really one melded post) and all is well with world, melded post-wise.

Panni started to post then stopped then said she'd be back later?  Is anyone as confounded by this woman as I am?

Tomovoz

« Reply #112 on: March 07, 2004, 02:51:12 PM »

It worked for me Dan - the earth didn't move - but it worked for me!
James Thurber 1957

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #113 on: March 07, 2004, 02:57:06 PM »

DR Charles Pogue,  maybe Britney is a genius.  Don't you think it takes real smarts to maintain that vacuous idiocy she calls an existence?  Maybe she's the Lorelei Lee of the millenium.

Refreshingly, she doesn't seem the least bit interested in talking about herself.

For the most part, it's the media who do all the talking about the successful...not they themselves.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #114 on: March 07, 2004, 02:58:40 PM »

TCB are you getting your male mail. Had you confused with Canada there for a moment.

Wouldn't the Canadian spelling be malue?  And no, Tomovoz I have not received any e-mails from you today (Is that the 21st century equivalent of the "Dear John" letter -- no more e-mails?).
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #115 on: March 07, 2004, 03:08:08 PM »

Sorry, but I can't be at chat this evening.  The closing performance of the Gala is tonight at 7:00 p.m. -- we have a 5:30 p.m. call.  But please, at least have the decency to talk about me.
“One thing’s universal,

Emily

« Reply #116 on: March 07, 2004, 03:37:06 PM »

Good evening all!

I have been terribly eandt of late - so apologies to all.  Really there are no excuses.  I am a wussburger complete with a wuss-soft drink and wuss-fries.

Tomorrow I am off to Ottawa to participate in "Women in the House" which, in case I failed to mention, is a program offered to a selected number of female McGill Poli Sci students who get to go to Parliament to attend a day of conferences on gender-representational issues followed by a day of job-shadowing a MP or a Senator.  The person each participant was going to shadow was "randomly" selected (i.e. the organizer's friends got the most interesting ones).   I was given Senator Lorna Ann Milne.  She is 70 and is interested in agricultural hemp development and genealogy-related issues.  

I have to spend an entire day finding things to talk to her about.

The good news is that while I am there, Kofi Annan (Sec. Gen. of the UN) is going to be giving a speech to the joing HofC and Sen, and I get to go see it.  I am beyond excited (which probably brands me as being as much a poli. sci. nerd as they come).

Today I went shopping and bought a very very very expensive pair of navy Donna Karen trousers (b/c I need SOMETHING to wear to the Parliamentary dining room!!!) and am working on getting my dear dear shopaholic maman to purchase the matching jacket to complete the ensemble.  

I am never spending money again.  

I will be at chat God and packing willing :)

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Panni

« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2004, 03:58:39 PM »

DR Panni,

I'm catching up on posts - and would like to know about the mystery anthology. The title? And is it still in print? Thanks.

I doubt it's still in print, but if you look it up on the Internet, you can probably buy it for under $15. It's called
FINGERPRINTS: A Collection of Stories by The Crime Writers of Canada, Edited by Beverley Beetham-Endersby.
BTW - If you do get it, I now look nothing like my picture on the back cover. For one thing, I had short dark hair back then. I felt that with dark hair I would be taken far more seriously in the then almost all-male world of TV writing, than as a "ditzy blonde."
I think you'll like "An Evening at the Opera" the story I co-wrote. It was singled out in some reviews as the best story in the collection.
(However, IMO, you'd have much more fun reading KRITZER TIME than a book of short mysteries by a bunch of Cannucks. So if you buy only one book this year, for heaven's sake, don't let it be FINGERPRINTS.)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2004, 04:17:59 PM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #118 on: March 07, 2004, 04:04:11 PM »

Panni started to post then stopped then said she'd be back later?  Is anyone as confounded by this woman as I am?

Obviously not, as nobody even noticed. Anyway, I'm back as promised. I always keep my promises.

Panni

« Reply #119 on: March 07, 2004, 04:10:21 PM »

Tomorrow I am off to Ottawa to participate in "Women in the House" which, in case I failed to mention, is a program offered to a selected number of female McGill Poli Sci students who get to go to Parliament to attend a day of conferences on gender-representational issues followed by a day of job-shadowing a MP or a Senator.

Sounds like more fun than a barrel of monkeys, DR Emily.
I once spent a a day in Parliament as part of a much publicized contingent of artists who flew to Ottawa for the day to ask for more money for the arts. Yeah, right. Watching Parliament in action was sort of interesting in a bizarre way. But meeting one on one with some of the MP's was Kafkaesque, to say the least.

I'm sure you'll have an interesting time.  Full report, please,
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up