Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: GIBBERISH  (Read 40889 times)

Ginny

Re: GIBBERISH
« Reply #180 on: January 12, 2009, 12:32:52 PM »

I just removed my wedding rings...

...but only because I'm about to make a meat loaf for dinner.  Smushing up meat loaf is the only time I take my rings off.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

singdaw

« Reply #181 on: January 12, 2009, 12:34:21 PM »

Now I can't get "I Have Dreamed" to stop playing in my head.

It should at least have the decency to play out in the street, with all the children.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #182 on: January 12, 2009, 12:35:34 PM »

I've had my walk and now I have to make a trek to the market.

That should be fun.

After that, back to Mr Loesser and his 1956 musical.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

singdaw

« Reply #183 on: January 12, 2009, 12:35:37 PM »

In some countries, if you then just turn around three times...

...You'll be divorced!    ;)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #184 on: January 12, 2009, 12:41:12 PM »

...but only because I'm about to make a meat loaf for dinner.  Smushing up meat loaf is the only time I take my rings off.

That spoiler space can sometimes cause a heart attack...............
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #185 on: January 12, 2009, 12:48:06 PM »

Time for one big collective, "Awwwwwwww..."... :)

Cute Things Falling Asleep

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #186 on: January 12, 2009, 12:51:00 PM »

*Alas, there are no Bollywood, Hollywood or TV stars on that site.  :-\

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #187 on: January 12, 2009, 12:56:31 PM »

*Alas, there are no Bollywood, Hollywood or TV stars on that site. 

How about Dear Readers?      ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #188 on: January 12, 2009, 12:57:41 PM »

*DR Sandra - The next time you make scrambled eggs, and you find yourself out of milk, just do without it.  Cook the eggs low and slow, and gently fold the eggs over themselves in the pan as they cook.  Oh, and cook them in a good amount of melted butter... Then dot the almost cooked eggs with some cream cheese...  :)  -Otherwise, whipping cream in scrambled eggs.. YUM!  -But that may not be the best thing for your cholesterol test results.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #189 on: January 12, 2009, 01:03:07 PM »

My blood was drawn without incident (I actually had an incident once). I celebrated with a breakfast consisting of imitation egg-food product and unbuttered toast.

Note: Spell check suggests that I changed "unbuttered" to "unbuttoned."

;D

When will you have the results?

FJL

« Reply #190 on: January 12, 2009, 01:04:50 PM »

One time, when I searched for "STARFIGHTER," the search engine's spell-check asked if I meant "straighter"

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #191 on: January 12, 2009, 01:05:44 PM »

Why shouldn't I make a value judgment about The Dark Knight DVD - it's crap, and it needs to be said.  Blu-Ray, I hate to tell you, is still very much a niche product, just like laserdisc used to be.  Maybe it will take over, maybe it won't.  But that is NO reason to foist substandard transfers on the MAJORITY of the people, who still have normal DVD.  In fact, it's spitting in their collective faces. 

BK, is it possible that because this was a screener that it was purposely low-resolution to prevent piracy?

That was the first thing that crossed my mind, but I'd already heard many complaints about the SD transfer, and I don't know why they'd do a completely separate thing for screeners, but you may well be right.

Actually, some of the screeners are simply just that, "screeners".  They are not meant to be "home theatre experiences".  A friend of mine who is a SAG member, has done side-by-side comparisons for some films, the screener vs. the commercial release, and most of the time, he's found that the screeners are a bit lacking.  It all seems to depend just how many extras end up being on the final commercially-released DVD.  The more extras, the better the screener.  In other words, it all depends just how prepped the commercial DVD is at the time that the screeners are sent out.

Makes sense to me.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #192 on: January 12, 2009, 01:07:45 PM »

I didn't post about the Golden Globes last night, but i assumed they were on live on the West Coast just like the Oscars.

I think though that even with the Oscars, a lot of the details are mentioned here. And even if the exact winner is not mentioned it's often easy to figure out who won. So i'd say if you are gonna watch the show then wait and read/and post at HHW after.

I didn't even set them to record so I didn't realize they weren't live.  As much as I like spoilers it it does seems difficult to keep putting them up during the awards. 

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #193 on: January 12, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »

A lot of people have spent a lot of money on DVDs and do NOT want to buy into another format at this point.  I've had a hi-def TV long before you and I still have not seen the necessity to buy a Blu-Ray player - the best of the SD transfers are great. 

I'm not sure you've had a hi-def TV long before us (the TV I was posting about was a second set for the bedroom). I suspect I'm in the upper 1%-tile of DVD owners (over 1000 titles). My opting for a Blu-Ray player for the bedroom did not obsolete my collection - indeed it enhanced it. We needed to get an up-convert player for the new TV anyway, so the upgrade to Blue Ray cost about $100. Now with the new player and TV all our SDs look better than ever, and we have to option of playing BD as well. (I would not have sprung for a hi-def player until they standardized on the format.) Look back in time and see how long it took CDs to move from "niche' to standard . The market will be driven by DVD buyers - most folks buying DVDs regularly will all have HDTV shortly; the prices on BDs is rapidly moving to what was the norm for SDs and I would expect a $99 Blu Ray player shortly. I have seen no serious debate as to whether or not BD will become a standard, just discussion on the timetable.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Ginny

« Reply #194 on: January 12, 2009, 01:13:18 PM »

That spoiler space can sometimes cause a heart attack...............

Sorry, DR JRand.  My rings are back where they belong and Richard and I are still married.  However, he's been without his wedding ring since the day after Christmas.  He needs to have it resized and the jeweler recommended that he let his finger adjust for a few weeks before they make a size determination.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #195 on: January 12, 2009, 01:14:01 PM »

Why shouldn't I make a value judgment about The Dark Knight DVD - it's crap, and it needs to be said.  Blu-Ray, I hate to tell you, is still very much a niche product

I did not question your value judgment on the DVD, I question making a value judgment on the film based on the SD DVD.

Blu-Ray is a very big niche - and growing daily; that it will overtake SD shortly seems inevitable. With the switch to all HDTV broadcast TV, Blu-Ray DVD players will be the norm. In 18 months, SD will be the niche.

der Brucer

I seem to remember that argument being the one a year ago when folks were hee-hawing over the demise of HD-DVD.

BD is still a very small percentage of the DVD market.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #196 on: January 12, 2009, 01:14:01 PM »

It is simply beautiful here; not a cloud in the sky. It was a bit chilly at lunch, but it IS January so it's to be expected.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #197 on: January 12, 2009, 01:19:11 PM »

MR BK did you ever audition or get a call for a production of THE OWL AND THE PUSSYCAT?
Owl and the Pussycat - I didn't appreciate that movie when I was  a child, but loved it when I caught up with it years later.

The night Keith told me he loved me was the night we saw THE OWL & THE PUSSYCAT with Bill Bixby.  I wish I had the ticket stub for that night.  That was in April, 1966. :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #198 on: January 12, 2009, 01:20:10 PM »

*DR Sandra - The next time you make scrambled eggs, and you find yourself out of milk, just do without it.  Cook the eggs low and slow, and gently fold the eggs over themselves in the pan as they cook.  Oh, and cook them in a good amount of melted butter... Then dot the almost cooked eggs with some cream cheese...  :)  -Otherwise, whipping cream in scrambled eggs.. YUM!  -But that may not be the best thing for your cholesterol test results.

Cottage cheese works as well.

der Brucer

Matt H.

« Reply #199 on: January 12, 2009, 01:21:19 PM »

I spent all afternoon working on MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION. First I watched the movie proper. Mostly beautiful transfer at the proper ratio (2:1) with light to moderate grain structure very similar to the grain structure in IMITATION OF LIFE. I only saw a couple of places where the registration of the Technicolor went off and one brief shot where it looks like they were using an old dupe or something which was soft, faded, and weird surrounded by all that lush Technicolor and clarity in the other shots.

I had seen the 1954 version several times before, and it's never been my favorite Sirk. I like all of his other Rock Hudson pictures better than this one, and, of course, IMITATION OF LIFE is in a class by itself for lush, over-the-top melodrama. MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION is SO noble and earnest. It's just not much fun to watch, and honestly, I don't have the tear-streaked emotional reaction to it that I have to other similar melodramas.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #200 on: January 12, 2009, 01:21:31 PM »

Why shouldn't I make a value judgment about The Dark Knight DVD - it's crap, and it needs to be said.  Blu-Ray, I hate to tell you, is still very much a niche product

I did not question your value judgment on the DVD, I question making a value judgment on the film based on the SD DVD.

Blu-Ray is a very big niche - and growing daily; that it will overtake SD shortly seems inevitable. With the switch to all HDTV broadcast TV, Blu-Ray DVD players will be the norm. In 18 months, SD will be the niche.

der Brucer

There was a recent article in Variety that says the opposite.  Whether it will or won't remains to be seen.  A lot of people have spent a lot of money on DVDs and do NOT want to buy into another format at this point.  I've had a hi-def TV long before you and I still have not seen the necessity to buy a Blu-Ray player - the best of the SD transfers are great.  I'm sure I'll eventually get a player and maybe sooner than later - we'll see.  In the meantime, whether I see a bad transfer of The Dark Knight or a great transfer of The Dark Knight, it's not going to change my opinion of the FILM. 

Pardon my interruption into this discussion, but I would love to have something clarified that I have long wondered about.

I know you've had your high-def TV for a long time, BK, but it's being high-def only matters if the signal you are watching on it is a high-def signal, and my confusion is that I have long held the impression that you do not receive any high-def signals on your TV.

The set, being high-def, can only give you a high-def signal if you "receive" high-def broadcasts...either via an antenna/rabbit ears or via a cable package.  I''ve had the impression that you don't watch much TV at all and that you haven't subscribed to a high-def package.

Without that signal...and without Blu-ray or HD-DVD playback of BD or HD DVDs...you're watching analog TV on a set ready for high-definition broadcasts.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:30:53 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #201 on: January 12, 2009, 01:22:58 PM »

Then, I went back and listened to about 25 minutes of the commentary. I'll finish it later today, but it's OK. Definitely not a commentator who's falling all over himself cooing about the color and style and stars.

Jane

« Reply #202 on: January 12, 2009, 01:24:36 PM »

I believe you mean DR Laura ;)

Matt H.

« Reply #203 on: January 12, 2009, 01:24:45 PM »

There are interviews with two female filmmakers who pay tribute to Sirk's style. The only other thing remaining on disc one is the trailer.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #204 on: January 12, 2009, 01:24:52 PM »

I don't know who is in the path of the winter weather onslaught....did Cilla ever weigh in or whether she got the blizzard or merely a snowfall?

Here in Oakland, the weather is gorgeous and warm.  Too warm.  It's in the mid-70s, there are some gusting winds and the sky is blue, blue, blue.

I'd love it if the winds didn't wreak havoc with my sinuses!  For some reason the more air that rushes around me decreases the pneuma I need inside me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 01:38:37 PM by Ron Pulliam »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #205 on: January 12, 2009, 01:26:21 PM »

BD is still a very small percentage of the DVD market.

At the moment. The driving force will be the major retailers: Best Buy, Wal-Mart, etc. WalMart is clearly moving toward BD based on shelf space, product placement, and pricing policy. The $10 BDs are getting prime shelf space while the $7.50 SDs are thrown in an aisle bin.

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #206 on: January 12, 2009, 01:26:54 PM »

RLP - correct.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #207 on: January 12, 2009, 01:28:19 PM »

Wrote another page, but found something I have to change in an earlier chapter - I love what I wrote, but I unfortunately used the same thing elsewhere, and need to have this be different.  So, I have to deal with that at some point.  I'm finding it difficult to get to the next little scene - don't know why, but I'm sure I'll be there by the end of this evening.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #208 on: January 12, 2009, 01:31:54 PM »

RLP - correct.

Is your DVD player one that "up-converts" the image of Standard DVDs?  Because watching upconverted SDs on a high-def set is the next best thing!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2009, 01:34:18 PM »

"...may not be..."??     Why not just tie off her major arteries and call her time of death?

Use Egg Beaters.  If you want to use some milk, use fat-free or 1%.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14   Go Up