Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS  (Read 28111 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS
« Reply #240 on: January 21, 2009, 05:58:02 PM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Enjoy your "high falutin' TV" tonight, rest and sleep well later, and I hope your sinuses are clear by the morning.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #241 on: January 21, 2009, 05:59:54 PM »

And in other news...

Caroline Kennedy has withdrawn her name from being considered to fill Hillary Clinton's State Senate seat.

der Brucer

I heard she was doing it because of her Uncle Teddy's condition.  It might also be that she is being maneuvered into taking "his" Senate seat.

It is difficult to imagine she would move from New York.  If she does we will know why ;)
I wonder what's behind this?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:17:28 PM by Jane »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #242 on: January 21, 2009, 06:04:06 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #243 on: January 21, 2009, 06:05:26 PM »

Make Your Own Luck.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #244 on: January 21, 2009, 06:05:59 PM »

DR Jane i'm reading about your library trip from yesterday.

I've never heard of self-check out for books. I don't think they would ever do that here. Does your library have a motion sensor. The librarians here have to rub the books against the sensor so they don't go off when we leave.

Also, i can't even imagine a library letting dogs in.  It sounds very odd to me. What if they chew on a book?

Well, what if a person chewed on a book?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Laura

« Reply #245 on: January 21, 2009, 06:10:11 PM »

Accuweather.com says we have a 50% chance of rain tomorrow.

I always figure we do every day. Either it will or it won't.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

« Reply #246 on: January 21, 2009, 06:16:43 PM »

DR Jane, I guess we are just used to the no dog rules.

I don't think dogs are really allowed anywhere.  And i don't think anyone would even think to bring one to the library. I guess it depends what you are used to.

I could see a dog being allowed to eat at an outside restaurant. Although even then i would want to make sure that the dog did not disturb anyone (i.e., if someone was eating at the next table who was not comfortable with it).

We have found most people with unruly dogs do not take them out to restaurants or shopping.  At home & while traveling we have spoken to various workers/owners at shops, art galleries, restaurants, etc that invite dogs to visit.  Basically the response is the same, they rarely or never have had a problem with dogs, children on the other hand far too many times. 

In Ashland I know of four shops with live in cats & two with dogs that go to work with their owners.  Our major complaint is the crack-down on dogs eating in one area of town, the area where there is plenty of space to spread out & not have your dog bother anyone. 

Jane

« Reply #247 on: January 21, 2009, 06:20:06 PM »

I've never heard of self-check out for books. I don't think they would ever do that here. Does your library have a motion sensor. The librarians here have to rub the books against the sensor so they don't go off when we leave.

Also, i can't even imagine a library letting dogs in.  It sounds very odd to me. What if they chew on a book?

Ask DR Ginny this one ;)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #248 on: January 21, 2009, 06:27:07 PM »

A person must take (legal) responsibility for his or her own actions...whether he or she wants to or not.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #249 on: January 21, 2009, 06:33:56 PM »

I have been called to jury duty.

Today was the first day during which we were  divided into groups.  About 50 of us were sent to a courtroom where the interviewing began. I was called to fill the no. 11 juror chair during the interviewing.  There were 18 chairs...12 inside the jury box and 6 outside. 

We started at 10 a.m.  They began with the first chair.  The first person went through all the questions and was dismissed.  Another potential juror was called to replace him and he took the first chair and began going through all the questions.  By 11:30 a.m., we had been through 5 people total but only through the 3rd chair (i.e. three were dismissed from the top and then the person in  chair 2 was dismissed right off the bat and replaced).  It was a long afternoon.

By the time we got to potential juror number 7 (1st person on my row), I was certain we'd not get to me today.  Instead, each person subsequently went right through all the questions (on a sheet, front and back) all the way through potential juror 12 in a little over an hour.  Then, we spent the rest of the afternoon on the remaining six potentials, all of which was followed by questioning by the defense attorney wanting to dig into our answers a bit.  A few folks were called on,  including me, but it looks like I may be the only one of those specially questioned who is likely to be "seated".  I don't mind, really.

I cannot say more than that.  We expect a jury to be seated by lunch tomorrow.  The trial is expected to be given to the jury for deliberation sometime "next" Thursday (Jan. 29).   Sigh.   My first potential jury trial.

That is all.  I have a sinus headache, of sorts, and I'm looking forward to a relaxing evening of high-falutin' TV.

I've only gotten summoned for jury duty twice.  The first time (about 18 or so years ago), I called and did not have to go to courthouse.  The second time was about five years ago and the case was postponed, so we all got to leave right after we got there.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

« Reply #250 on: January 21, 2009, 06:39:40 PM »

I was called for Jury duty a month after Bryan was born.  Naturally I was excused.  The next time was just before moving out of state.  I was called a few years back & received a medical exemption.  I should be a permanent one.

Kerry

« Reply #251 on: January 21, 2009, 06:40:02 PM »

It's 7:30 pm in January, and it's 76 degrees!
I like boat races.

Laura

« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2009, 06:43:55 PM »

It's going to be a very long summer.

Kerry

« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2009, 06:45:30 PM »

I've had to report for a jury duty about 4 times, I guess but have been summoned about 10 times.  The closest I ever came to actually getting on a jury was for a guy who was charged with 3 counts of first degree murder.  Knowing how tough it is to get charges to stick, it must have been pretty gruesome.  Luckily they decided they had the jury and alternates with the person just before me.   This was right around the holidays, and the trial was estimated to take a few weeks.  I believe in doing one's civic duty, but I really didn't want to be on a trial through the holidays.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 06:47:39 PM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Laura

« Reply #254 on: January 21, 2009, 06:46:43 PM »

Was this a highly publicized case, Kerry?

Kerry

« Reply #255 on: January 21, 2009, 06:46:45 PM »

It's going to be a very long summer.

Nah, it's always nice in January around this time!  Unless they schedule the Phoenix Open or some other big outdooor event!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #256 on: January 21, 2009, 06:49:47 PM »

Was this a highly publicized case, Kerry?

No, I tried to see if there was anything about it in the papers, but it had to with some of the Mexican Mafia in and out of prison.  I am not sure how long before the trial the crimes actually occurred.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #257 on: January 21, 2009, 06:51:39 PM »

Accuweather.com says we have a 50% chance of rain tomorrow.

I always figure we do every day. Either it will or it won't.

What's your headache (or lack thereof) telling you?  My ankle is telling me something is going on with the barometric pressure.
I like boat races.

Jane

« Reply #258 on: January 21, 2009, 06:56:54 PM »

It is a good thing DRS Kerry & Laura live in a warm climate with their natural barometers.

Kerry

« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2009, 07:00:25 PM »

It is a good thing DRS Kerry & Laura live in a warm climate with their natural barometers.
We desert rats have it made!  At least in January!
I like boat races.

Jane

« Reply #260 on: January 21, 2009, 07:03:54 PM »

I would love to spend January & February in the desert climate.

George

« Reply #261 on: January 21, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »

Here's some "Life On Mars" info!  According to TVGuide's Mega Buzz weekly e-mail:

Is there any word on the rest of Life on Mars' first season? I want to know if it really ends differently than the British original. — Robin

MICKEY: You can wait and find out when Mars returns on Wednesday, Jan. 28, at 10 pm/ET (following Lost), but all signs point to a very different reason behind Sam Tyler's time-tripping. "In this next installment [of episodes], you'll see that the mythology is not as per the British version," ABC prez Steve McPherson said at the TCA winter press tour.

This is good information!  I think I'll continue to watch it. :)

Jane

« Reply #262 on: January 21, 2009, 07:24:10 PM »

'night

George

« Reply #263 on: January 21, 2009, 07:48:04 PM »

Time to head home and watch "Lost"!!

Until later!

Ginny

« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2009, 08:15:41 PM »

Ask DR Ginny this one ;)

I've seen worse - wa-a-a-ay worse  :P

And, so, goodnight!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #265 on: January 21, 2009, 08:20:31 PM »

Here's a link to the latest edition of the TELL ME WHY Podcast from the 92nd Street Y.

"In this edition of the 92nd Street Y's Tell Me Why podcast, host Julian Fleisher talks with Tony Award-winning lyricist David Zippel, whose credits include City of Angels, The Goodbye Girl, Hercules and Mulan, among others. Zippel, the artistic director for the next Lyrics & Lyricists concert at the Y in February, It Started With a Dream: Lyrics He Wrote, Lyrics He Wishes He Wrote, shares his plans for the show, what it's like working with Liza Minelli, his favorite lyricists (including Joni Mitchell and Billy Joel) and much more."
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #266 on: January 21, 2009, 08:30:05 PM »

I spent a good couple of hours watching the bonus features on the ANY GIVEN SUNDAY Blu-ray disc. Most of the bonuses were not in HD and were ported over from the SD version of the movie released years ago (which I have). Glad to have those behind me.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #267 on: January 21, 2009, 08:33:13 PM »

I've been called three times to jury duty. The first time was for Magistrate Court. It was to be held the day I was to register for my final semester of classes for my Masters, and the magistrate himself excused me.

The second time I had to call the night before to see if I needed to report. My juror number was one that didn't have to report.

The third time I did have to report, and I sat in a huge room all day long as they picked and chose people for juror consideration. I was never chosen. I read a book and a bunch of magazines while I waited during that very long day.

Matt H.

« Reply #268 on: January 21, 2009, 08:34:22 PM »

I had time to watch the MONK episode from Friday. I could easily see what annoyed DR Elmore so much about it, but the show made me laugh out loud several times, and the case was pretty good, too.

td

• td
« Reply #269 on: January 21, 2009, 08:34:41 PM »

Well, since it IS "Ask BK Day. . . "

Barbara Cook has expressed her dislike for Cole Porter once or twice.  (I don't agree with her on this).
But, say that Ms. Cook employed the very esteemed BK to produce an album of her singing Cole Porter songs, my question for ASK BK DAY is:

What ten or twelve Cole Porter compositions would you have Miss Barbara Cook sing?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up