Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: WANDERLUST  (Read 25050 times)

Michael

Re: WANDERLUST
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2009, 05:46:46 AM »

Musicals would be harder to cast

but

The Wiz
Dorothy----Taylor Parks (She was little Inez in the film version of Hairspray)
Aunt Em/Glinda---Stephanie Mills (Original Dorothy in The Wiz)
Evilene (Wicked Witch of the West)--Darlene Love
Scarecrow-Ellijah Kelley (Seaweed in the film version of Hairspray)
Tin Man-Sebastian LaCause (I like his name and he is a great dancer and an actor)
Lion---Bruce Villanch
Adeperle (Sp?)---Terri White (Joyce Heth in Barnum)
The Wiz-Brent Barrett
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2009, 05:46:56 AM »

Take us to Page 2, that is.

Laura

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2009, 05:49:14 AM »

Why are helicopters allowed to fly slowly over houses at 6:45 a.m.?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2009, 05:51:17 AM »

TOD: Whatever show I would cast, I would be the star. It would be all about ME! ME! ME!

Maybe not.

DAW

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2009, 05:53:40 AM »

I currently have a temperature of 103, nausea, and - not to put too fine a point on it - stuff coming out of both ends.     :P

Needless to say, I did not make it in to work today.

Laura

« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2009, 05:55:15 AM »

Awww, sorry to hear you are ill, DAW.

Hugs. From a distance.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2009, 06:01:56 AM »

* * * * *  Feel Better Vibes to DR Daw  * * * * *

Get the hubby to run out for some Gatorade for you!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2009, 06:16:57 AM »

Good morning, all! Hmmm, a Christmas album? I do that holiday very well, I do believe. DR JRand58, I love "The Twelve Days of Christmas"; it was my arrangement for the men's Chorus that got me my best newspaper review ever when Bill Zakariasan wrote that I was the cleverest arranger practicing my craft in New York. Of course that was 1984 or so, and there are much cleverer people on the scene now.

I was surprised byll this sturm und drang about broadcasting! If they drag out this delay with the conversion to digital broadcasting for the next ten years, it don't worry me; I've been on cable for 20 years since it was impossible to watch television otherwise in Manhattan. I originaly got cable because I wanted to tape the Disney Channel broadcast of the Royal Shakespeare Company's NICHOLAS NICKLEBY, but when I saw the difference on my tv between the clear cable image and the snow-filled crap from the rabbit ears I never went back.

Today, write up the notes for Act One Scene Two of THE MOST HAPPY FELLA, drag out the scores for SPRING IS HERE and begin it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2009, 06:18:36 AM »

I've just been reading last night's discussion on the digital TV conversion delay and I was reminded of this clip someone sent me a while back:  Are You Ready For Digital?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2009, 06:30:38 AM »

I do have to say that I am sided with MBarnum on this issue.  The clip I posted is funny, but I think it has a basis in reality for a good portion of the elderly population in our country who are not tech-savvy in the least.  And aside from that, there's the way that the FCC bungled the converter box coupon distribution.  First they put out such emphasis on how consumers can save $40 with the coupons, then they don't print out enough and largely ignored the overrun on requests.  And the coupons themselves had a two month expiration date!  What was the purpose of that?

As far as the delay impeding any use of the newly available airwaves, the technology to take advantage of it is still in developmental stages.  A delay of four months is not going to effect any progress in that area at all.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ben

« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2009, 06:32:40 AM »

Funny clip DtM!

Ben

« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2009, 06:34:35 AM »

Here's another funny clip about the evils of Pay/Cable television. I remember seeing these ads at the movies in the late 60s and early 70s and the petitions in the theatre lobbies.

Pay TV?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2009, 06:40:12 AM »

I was surprised byll this sturm und drang about broadcasting! If they drag out this delay with the conversion to digital broadcasting for the next ten years, it don't worry me; I've been on cable for 20 years since it was impossible to watch television otherwise in Manhattan. I originaly got cable because I wanted to tape the Disney Channel broadcast of the Royal Shakespeare Company's NICHOLAS NICKLEBY, but when I saw the difference on my tv between the clear cable image and the snow-filled crap from the rabbit ears I never went back.

I bought my first VCR in order to tape NICHOLAS NICKLEBY when it was broadcast on PBS the second time in January 1984.  And then about a year later, I stupidly taped over the first hour of the first episode with David Letterman--d'oh!  Who knew you were suppose to snap out those little tabs on the tapes?
-- Anaïs Nin

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2009, 06:40:40 AM »

Hi, Ben! I was only up for a nonce before, so I missed you.

I'm looking forward to bk's new Christmas album and I'm sure it will get a lot of airplay at the festive Chez Ben/Anthony.
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2009, 06:42:18 AM »

I currently have a temperature of 103, nausea, and - not to put too fine a point on it - stuff coming out of both ends.     :P

Needless to say, I did not make it in to work today.

I hope you feel better soon, DR DAW. At least it sounds like the kind of internal storm that will pass quickly.

I have some extra Gatorade and chicken broth if you need some!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2009, 06:45:20 AM »

Here's another funny clip about the evils of Pay/Cable television. I remember seeing these ads at the movies in the late 60s and early 70s and the petitions in the theatre lobbies.

Pay TV?

LOL!  TV Guide ran article after article about the evils of pay TV back then.  I wonder if I was the only one who imagined that there was going to be an actual box with coin slots attached to my TV requiring quarters everytime I wanted to watch my shows.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2009, 06:53:28 AM »

Good Morning! 

Vibes to Singdaw!  Get better and fast!
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2009, 06:54:55 AM »

I have to agree with DR JRand on his suggestions on the upcoming Brent Barrett Christmas recording and I'll go a step further and say classic songs only.  It drives me crazy every time Harry Connick puts out another Christmas disc and it's filled with his latest ideas of new Christmas classics.  Seriously, I would like to hear something that's a throwback to the Firestone and Goodyear albums that were released during the early to mid 60s.  Who knew that auto tire makers could produce such lovely Christmas music?
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2009, 07:02:01 AM »

Why are helicopters allowed to fly slowly over houses at 6:45 a.m.?

They're flying over to check on Singdaw, but they got the wrong address!
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2009, 07:02:06 AM »

Feel better vibes for DR DAW!  I feel your pain.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2009, 07:03:03 AM »

DR ELMORE - your arrangement is the exception.....I guess I should have said.....

DR DtM - that's the nightmare I had about Pay TV as well.....I could just imagine getting one half way through Frances Farmer Presents and running out of quarters!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2009, 07:03:59 AM »

I am so unaware of a LOT of the folks on Broadway today - I only know what I read here, so I am ahead of many people, I am sure.

I am trying to think of a show I would like to see revived.....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: January 27, 2009, 07:05:06 AM »

My favorite Christmas albums are by Doris Day, Giselle McKenzie, The Three Suns, and Carpenters.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2009, 07:14:02 AM »

The problem with doing major Broadway revivals or movie remakes is that you're always competing with the memory of the original.

Even if the remake is better, it will always lose.

There are, of course, exceptions, but that is generally the case.

I understand that the recent revival of SOUTH PACIFIC was terrific, but when you think of that show, you still think of Mary Martin and Enzio Pinza.
You can dream…or you can do.

Laura

« Reply #54 on: January 27, 2009, 07:17:45 AM »

What's digital tv?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2009, 07:20:59 AM »

Good morning!

Another partially gray day with rain in the forecast but not yet seen. Supposed to be this way tomorrow, too. Cold, but not abnormally so.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Laura

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2009, 07:27:58 AM »

MBarnum, you just gave me an idea. I just sent an email to the folks in charge of service projects suggesting we help folks install those converter boxes if they need help.

Thanks.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2009, 07:29:28 AM »

I didn't mean to sound without compassion for those people not in the know about technology (certainly NOT restricted to old people). Both my parents spent the last years of their lives in comfortable assisted living evnironments, so there were people there whose job it was to make the places comfortable and convenient. But some people are not as lucky as my parents were.

But as I've learned over the years, human folks are a pretty procrastinating lot, and unless you enforce deadlines that you've set, some folks will never do anything. A few days without MASH or JEOPARDY aren't going to kill anyone and might spur someone into action.

Personally, I've been more than ready for the switchover for years. It isn't going to affect me when it happens. But I think times change, life goes on, and one must live in the world as it is as best one can.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2009, 07:30:12 AM »

What's digital tv?

I don't know, I think I heard something about it last year, but I don't think it's important.

Laura

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2009, 07:31:32 AM »

Must not be, JRand.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14   Go Up