Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHORT FUSE  (Read 23937 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE SHORT FUSE
« Reply #150 on: March 10, 2004, 07:45:12 PM »

FS Pogue - You didn't answer... Are you greenlit for production? Details, please!

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #151 on: March 10, 2004, 07:50:26 PM »

And we you.  Okay, GROUP HUG.

::Cues the "Full House" theme song::

:-*
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

td

• td
« Reply #152 on: March 10, 2004, 07:53:27 PM »

Well, following the group hug, some of us can step to the rear and enjoy a group grope - - are you listening, TCB?  ? ? ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #153 on: March 10, 2004, 07:58:18 PM »

BK, I too write novels in Word,  But aside from indenting and double-spacing, the novel format is relatively simple compared to screenplay format, which has a lot of crap.  So does the play format.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #154 on: March 10, 2004, 07:59:05 PM »

If you are a fan of Exotica, I highly recommend the Dominic Frontiere two-fer from Collectables.  I got it on a lark to qualify for "buy 2 get 1 free" with my recent Percy Faith purchases.  The Frontiere is some of the most luscious orchestral writing I've heard--imagine Les Baxter on steroids or the soundtrack to that movie about pagan virgin sacrifices you've never seen.

Oooh--the second album just started--it's Mancini-esque bluesy jazz.  Great fun.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #155 on: March 10, 2004, 08:00:56 PM »

Panni, yes, I are greenlit for production...with hoped- for air date of May sweeps, 2005.  But I still don't want to talk too much about it, much can always happen from now till then.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: March 10, 2004, 08:13:04 PM »

Well, following the group hug, some of us can step to the rear and enjoy a group grope - - are you listening, TCB?  ? ? ;)

You got my attention, td. ;D ;)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

td

• td
« Reply #157 on: March 10, 2004, 08:20:00 PM »

You got my attention, td. ;D ;)

Well, now that I've got it, what am I supposed to do with it  :o
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #158 on: March 10, 2004, 08:25:49 PM »

JMK,

I recently acquired, and recommend, Percy Faith's Subways Are For Sleeping/Do I Hear A Waltz. (Did you know PF was Canadian?)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #159 on: March 10, 2004, 08:26:25 PM »

I think the loss of BOTH parts of "Lose That Long Face" were detrimental to Judy's Oscar chances. First, the song is great, and she does a wonderful job with it. But when she comes back after her masterful breakdown scene in the dressing room and retakes the end of the number that we've just seen, we see the same performance only different, this time ACTING while her heart is breaking, and our knowledge of what's going on inside her makes her fake camera smile all the more touching and memorable. That number wrapping around that stunning dramatic scene is a tour de force very, very few people could have ever pulled off the way she did it.

BTW, even though A STAR IS BORN was a Warner film, Judy wouldn't have had the entire studio behind her. Grace Kelly had made DIAL "M" for MURDER that in 1954, too, and I suspect some Warner employees voted for her even though THE COUNTRY GIRL was a Paramount picture. Having an Oscar winner in their studio's film could help greatly publicize it. Grace also had Paramount and her home lot MGM voting for her.

EVen with all that, Hedda Hopper famously told the story that Judy lost by 4 votes. Of course, dear Hedda was prone to say (write) anything that popped into her head if she thought it made a juicy story.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #160 on: March 10, 2004, 08:29:01 PM »

Good evening!

OOPPSS!!!  I had typed out a post about my own horrible high school experiences, then went to track down the Barbara Cook quote, then hit "copy".. then realized that I had ended up "copy"-ing over my own post... Oopss!!  Ah, well.. Must be a sign...

In short...  DR Jenny - As others have stated, "It does get better."  I look back at my own high school years, and I'm amazed I made it out of those so-called "hallowed halls".  In fact, my mission my senior year was to get out of high school - not necessarily to graduate.  Heck, I wasn't even too keen on colllege, I just wanted that piece of paper in my hand...  And on graduation day when I moved that tassle over from one side to the other, the biggest sigh of relief came over me... and one of the most heartfelt cries came out of my system.  Sooo much "stuff" in that one moment.  Even my parents could not believe how much I was crying at my graduation.

-In short, I went to a private, Catholic high school in the Washington, DC suburbs.  Kids from all economic, social, cultural, political, and, yes, even religious backgrounds.  However, for the most part, it was a school of "rich kids" and "jocks".  I was also part of a generation where the girls were supposed to be smart ones, and the boys were just supposed to get by grade-wise.  Smart guys were automatically called "faggots".  Soo... Into the middle of this sociological cross-section, plop a chubby, smart, Filipino teenage boy... And to make matters even "worse", this teenage boy had already begun to realize that he was "different" - gay - about two years earlier.  Remember, I said "Catholic" high school... a Catholic high school full of jocks.

But here I am almost 15 years later, and I'm doing OK.  Actually more than OK.  And even though my high school years were not the most positive experience, I did learn a life-worthy lessons:

It's OK not to be popular.
It's OK not to have lots of friends.
It's OK not to be a part of the "in" crowd.

It's OK to be comfortable with yourself.
It's OK to have people like you for who you really are - and not who you think they want you to be.
It's OK to like yourself.

And just ONE dear, close friend is worth more than a whole bunch of "buds" and "gal pals".

-And, yes, everyone else are the "weirdos".  ;)

So, before this ramble turns into more of a ramble, here's the Barbara Cook quote I mentioned at the top of my post.  She passes these great words of wisdom and comfort during her master classes:

"It's so hard to believe that what the world wants is us. It's hard to believe, whatever you're doing, that you're enough. We are ALL, always, enough."--- Barbara Cook
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #161 on: March 10, 2004, 08:31:43 PM »

My comments about AMERICAN IDOL including one spoiler:

ALl four people selected tonight came from the 8 whom we heard sing last night. So that gossip about the 4 eliminated at the start of the competition was just that: gossip.

Let me just say that Randy's choice was not a surprise. Simon's choice was not a surprise. Paula's choice made me ill but is typical of her tin ear and erratic judging criteria. America's choice was not really a surprise either.

One of the four who was left out got royally screwed. I will also predict right now that we will have two divas battling it out by the end of the competition. There will be NO men anywhere in sight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #162 on: March 10, 2004, 08:33:19 PM »

Great post, Jose!

FS Pogue - That's all the detail needed. Once again, congrats!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: March 10, 2004, 08:44:48 PM »

Hey, maybe HHW could be "subtitled" OA: Outsiders Anonymous... Or maybe that should be OUnA: Outsiders UnAnonymous... Or should that be ONonA: Outsiders NonAnonymous... Or maybe even OFA: Outsiders Formerly Anonymous...  Well, you get the point...

AND YEAH!!!  I just chatted with my conductor, and he wasn't expecting me until the afternoon tomorrow in NYC.  So.... I don't have to take the 5:00AM train.  YEAH!!!!!  SLEEP!!!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 08:46:55 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #164 on: March 10, 2004, 09:05:51 PM »

Nope, no outsiders we.  We are what's happening, we are now, we are the world, we are our children, we are the dawning of the age of Aquarius, we are cool, man, cool, and others can only look in and either be envious or laugh with derision, but it is we who will have the last laugh, that much I can assure you of.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #165 on: March 10, 2004, 09:23:29 PM »

Hey, maybe HHW could be "subtitled" OA: Outsiders Anonymous... Or maybe that should be OUnA: Outsiders UnAnonymous... Or should that be ONonA: Outsiders NonAnonymous... Or maybe even OFA: Outsiders Formerly Anonymous...  Well, you get the point...

Hi, everybody.  My name is Dan and I’m a recovering outsider, too.

Jenny, I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had a particularly bad day in what sounds like a tough stretch for you at school.  But I think that it’s great that you realize that you have a safe place here that you can vent your sadness, anger, frustrations and loneliness and that there are a lot of people here that will listen and support you.  Most young people at your age never allow themselves to open up to others like that out of the typical fear that they’ll be open to ridicule.  But I think you should give yourself a pat on the back for having the courage to take a chance and letting us all know about your shitty days along with the terrific ones.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #166 on: March 10, 2004, 09:33:16 PM »

Great post, Jose!

Thank you.

I've actually always had a "feeling" that somewhere down the line I'm going to write a book, play, musical etc. about everything.   Once I'm far enough removed from all of "it" and can be objective about it.  And it may just one really long(!) journal entry that only I will ever read, but it will get in print somewhere down the line.  So...

DR Jenny - If you are not keeping a journal already...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #167 on: March 10, 2004, 09:42:26 PM »

"American Idol" SPOILERS:

Read no further if you don't want to find out something that might give tonight's results away!

You were warned!

First, I'll state baldly that MattH's prediction about the final two are Fantasia and LaToya.  No contest.

Second, I had four names down last night that I thought were the best.  Three of them advanced tonight.  Only Suzy Valaca didn't make it.  And the worst thing about that is Paula Abdul's horrendous choice of Leah LaBelle -- horrible wannabe singer!  Can't stay on pitch to save her life.  Paula's confusing that as a "style" of singing.  Leah will be one of the first three voted OUTTA THERE!

Simon's choice of George was not as surprising as George made it out to be.  Simon said some good things about him last night.  

Amercia's choice floored me....very happily.  I know I voted for him, but I figured America would go for pretty boy Metzger.

If it came down to Suzy and Jon Peter, I'd be hard put to have chosen, but I'm glad he made it.

I think someone at that "American Idol" chat board MattH referred to earlier today was too clever for his or her own good....by hearing them say "You wont' be singing tonight" that person thought he or she had cued in on a telltale clue of how the judges would go.

Jennifer needs to stay away from pastels, high heels and short jackets....lordy lord, she looked like an overstuffed burrito up there on that stage tonight.

And no, looks/size are not important, but careful choices in self-presentation can sure help if you want a show biz career.

DR J.S. Piano:  I'm sorry, but your clue didn't register with me.  Was the "put out your gum" comment something a judge said to one of the four selected tonight?  

« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 09:52:20 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #168 on: March 10, 2004, 09:46:00 PM »

Having an Oscar winner in their studio's film could help greatly publicize it. Grace also had Paramount and her home lot MGM voting for her.

EVen with all that, Hedda Hopper famously told the story that Judy lost by 4 votes. Of course, dear Hedda was prone to say (write) anything that popped into her head if she thought it made a juicy story.

Grace Kelly's performance in "The Country Girl" is one of Oscar's least-effective choices for Best Actress.  She's adequate, but hardly special in that film.

The story I've read was that MGM's boss put the word out to all MGM employees that they would NOT vote for Garland.  Whether they were instructed to vote for Kelly or not, I have no idea, but it's telling that even in 1954, the studio bosses had the clout to instruct their employees how to vote.  I guess anyone not following those orders could have been fired, but I can't help wondering how the shirts would know....weren't the votes private, or could they find out how their employees voted?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 09:52:49 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #169 on: March 10, 2004, 09:53:21 PM »

I think you should give yourself a pat on the back for having the courage to take a chance and letting us all know about your shitty days along with the terrific ones.

And having said that, I would like to add that I know that I tend to hold back about reporting about my own shitty days and otherwise here at HHW and that my posts have been pretty much on an arms-length level.  I suppose that I'm used to the conditions at RATM and that it was never really safe to allow yourself to be vulnerable there.

But you know what?  Screw it!  From what I've seen in the short time I've been here, you people are a wonderful bunch who emit fantastic positive energy, and I come away feeling so much better than I do after trudging through RATM.  So I just want to say thanks for you all being here, people.  And thanks for having me.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #170 on: March 10, 2004, 09:56:38 PM »

TD: I just sent the transcribed lyrics to "The Last Great Waltz" to der Brucer.  Hopefully he'll be sending them your way as well, in some form.

Jennifer's singing on the song is exactly right.  As is her timing!

And now everyone else is going to be wondering "What the fu.....?"

(That's "What the futon?" if anyone is wondering about what I just wrote.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2004, 09:57:16 PM »

OH!  And DR Jenny - It's kind of funny that your field trip today was to the Irish Famine Memorial...  I had never heard of it before I read about it in this month's "Gourmet" magazine - which is about all things New York City!  In any case, I added the memorial to my "list", and I will try to get down there when I'm up there this weekend.  -And then I can head over to Grand Street and get a treat at the Donut Plant!  -Yes, a bit of a hike, but it'll be worth it!

-OK - what's wrong with this picture?  Famine, Donut - ???  That's New York for ya'!

And those donuts are amazing!  Over-sized, fully-hand-dipped in their glazes (the pistachio ones are my favorite), all organic ingredients, and they're cooked just a tad longer than usual so they develop a little crispy, crunchy crust.  Sooo good.

Carbs? Who said carbs?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2004, 10:03:26 PM »

"American Idol" SPOILERS:

DR J.S. Piano:  I'm sorry, but your clue didn't register with me.  Was the "put out your gum" comment something a judge said to one of the four selected tonight?  

OH, I was just referring to when Matt (?) the Football Guy came out.  He was chewing gum!  And he was chewing gum when they interviewed him.  And he was still chewing gum when he was dancing at the end of the show!  -Maybe an oversight, but still...  *I'm a "chewing gum nazi" when it comes to singers I work with.

However, it actually looks like he's lost some weight since we last saw him.  And I like his hair a little more grown out like it was tonight.  -I guess he'll get the "Bears and Cubs" votes. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jed

« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2004, 10:04:19 PM »

I'm sorry to hear that so many of you had similar experiences when you were my age, but it gives me some sort of hope because you all seem to be fairly sane human beings!  ;)
You obviously don't know the group all that well yet! :D

Reading these posts makes me reiterate once again (and I'm NOT boasting, really) - there is no finer group of people than those that frequent this here website.  I've never seen anything like it really.  
Agreed, wholeheartedly.  Amazing how often I stop to think what a fantastic group we have here.  Thanks to one and all, and also all and one, for making HHW such a wonderful place to be.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #174 on: March 10, 2004, 10:05:43 PM »

The portion of A STAR IS BORN that could have made the difference in winning Judy the Oscar® was the juxtaposition of the dressing room scene with the cut "Long Face" number.  The scene is much less effective without the contrast between desperate Vicky offscreen and perky Vicki onscreen.  I agree that the other scenes probably wouldn't have made a difference with the Academy members, but that scene/song combination could have done it for her.

It's been a while since I've seen the hacked version and I guess I mis-remembered and thought that both the "Long Face" and dressing room scenes were there.  You're right--that very well would have pulled more Oscar voters to her favor.  But now I'm curious about how long the original version ran in theatres before the studio gutted it.  Or did it run at all (besides at the premier?)
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: March 10, 2004, 10:14:02 PM »

Well, even thought I don't have to be on the 5:00AM train, I still want to try to get on the 8:00AM train, so...

OH - DR elmoore - Coffee?  Snack?  -Then we can dish about our "favorites"... ;)

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: March 10, 2004, 10:50:40 PM »

Sad to be all alone in the world.  I've just spent over two hours editing the Larry Blank interview, so hopefully Craig will have it up by Friday.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #177 on: March 10, 2004, 11:12:56 PM »

I'm gonna wussburger tonight (hey, it's already past 2 where I am!) and cuddle up with the pups.  Buster is filching slurps from my wine glass, so he's bound to be extra affectionate tonight!

Oh, dinner tonight was a classic cheese fondue, with Italian sausages and salad on the side.  Not very high on the Atkins list, but I'm not dieting.  Sorry.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jed

« Reply #178 on: March 10, 2004, 11:24:52 PM »

My computer insists that it's currently 10:53 tomorrow morning.  11-1/2 hours off, and it doesn't want me to fix it.  That's not even Newfoundland time!  A bit bizarre.
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up